Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing court due to Illness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    District court. I am the accused. Already been 3 times but it kept getting put off because the Guard didn't turn up.

I suspected it was a DD.

It was rescheduled 3 times already because the Garda didn't turn up ? Over what period of time ?

If the Garda does not turn up tomorrow, the judge might not be so accommodating. Turn up!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,342 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can't get an appointment with doc and i wouldn't touch steroids. I suffer from anxiety and depression but also now have a stomach bug.
    Go to pharmacy. Alternatively, there are out-of-hours doctors in many locations.

Is there someone you can send, to ensure communication with your legal team?

When the time comes, do you have someone to go to court with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Civil court? Criminal court? Are you a witness? Accused?

District court. I am the accused. Already been 3 times but it kept getting put off because the Guard didn't turn up.
    If it has already been put off 3 times that's crazy. Get a letter from your doctor saying you are unwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

STB. wrote: »
    I suspected it was a DD.

It was rescheduled 3 times already because the Garda didn't turn up ? Over what period of time ?

If the Garda does not turn up tomorrow, the judge might not be so accommodating. Turn up!

I will turn up. My Mother who is 75 nearly slapped the head off me as she alway's knew i was so much against DD.

Period of time now is 9 months since first appearance so i've had this hanging over me all this time.

STB. wrote: »
    I suspected it was a DD.

I will turn up. My Mother who is 75 nearly slapped the head off me as she alway's knew i was so much against DD.

Period of time now is 9 months since first appearance so i've had this hanging over me all this time.
    I would be so stressed. Hopefully cop wont turn up again tomorrow and judge throws it out of court.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    go to pharmacy. Alternatively, there are out-of-hours doctors in many locations.

Is there someone you can send, to ensure communication with your legal team?

Just going to be a man and face a problem i created myself. Just hope i can do it. It's hard though with anxiety and depression. Also hard for people to understand too.

I'm afraid of breaking down in court, that's how low i feel.

I would be so stressed. Hopefully cop wont turn up again tomorrow and judge throws it out of court.

I can only hope but i never get any luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,342 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just going to be a man and face a problem i created myself. Just hope i can do it. It's hard though with anxiety and depression. Also hard for people to understand too.

Go to pharmacy. Many of them have a private space where you can talk to the pharmacist without anyone overhearing. Explain your situation. Ask is there anything you can take that will help with your nerves, but without impairing your thought processes.
    That's a legitimate concern. Explain your situation to your legal team. Explain to the judge that you aren't used to court and that your suffer from anxiety - given that most people aren't used to court, I'm sure they see it regularly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Guys it can't be thrown out without directions. OP you need to turn up tomorrow and tell your solicitor you want to plea guilty if the garda isn't there on a guilty plea he will need to be there to read the facts. If he hasn't and it has went past the 6 months 1 day "time passing" in court terms a judge will have no other option but to strike out.

He can't sentence without the facts. If the garda hasn't directed the court sergeant which if he did your of been deslt with already, its thrown out tomorrow.

Victor wrote: »
    Go to pharmacy. Many of them have a private space where you can talk to the pharmacist without anyone overhearing. Explain your situation. Ask is there anything you can take that will help with your nerves, but without impairing your thought processes.

I have medication. Valium and i am on a new Antidepressant but haven't taken it as i'm afraid of being drowsy and not clear headed.

And sorry mod's for going a bit off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

As a fellow road user, I can’t help but disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

eagle eye wrote: »
    Court Servive will inform his solicitor and the judge.

No onus on Courts Service to inform either the solicitor or the judge particularly if the defendant is only making contact with the office now. Responsibility is on solicitor acting on behalf of their client. If the op cannot make contact with the solicitor, he should make every effort to appear as it is on his interest to do so.

I have medication. Valium and i am on a new Antidepressant but haven't taken it as i'm afraid of being drowsy and not clear headed.

And sorry mod's for going a bit off topic.

This is one of the borderline fails the morning after the night before.

One of the most common instances for a case being dismissed is the non attendance of a garda involved in the prosecution at the court hearing.

Talk to your brief about this tomorrow. Its defo in your interest to attend for your mental sanity alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Turn up, Garda might not and if your solicitor is anyway decent he/she will pressure the judge to strike out your case as you've appeared 3 x previously and Garda has not and case has been dragging for nearly a year.

Is this a hearing date OP? if so and you don't turn up it is very likely a bench warrant will go out. Then guards could then show up to your door at any time and are obliged to take you into custody and bring you to court where you'll be lodged with prison service and will share holding cells with some lovely people until your case is called, which could be hours. Then your solicitor will have to argue for you to be released on bail, which is not a given.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Duffryman wrote: »
    . It would be unusual for a barrister to attend DC if it’s likely to just be another adjournment.

It happens in the Dublin District Court all the time. In some District Court there are sometimes no solicitors. Legal Aid solicitors in Dublin often work without an office and send unattended barristers to District Courts when they can't go themselves.

I can only hope but i never get any luck.
    Well tomorrow hopefully you will.

Hes turned up in court 3 times already. If the police are a no show again tomorrow then it deserves to be thrown out. Are you not reading how stressed the op is. Its not at all fair !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Do you have somebody to go with you for moral support? Friends, family? Could make a world of difference not having to go alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

As a fellow road user - teetotal - I DO agree with him/her.

Just for balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Hes turned up in court 3 times already. If the police are a no show again tomorrow then it deserves to be thrown out. Are you not reading how stressed the op is. Its not at all fair !

I significantly doubt it’s been adjourned three times because the prosecuting Guard did not show up.

Who cares how stressed they are. They drove while over the limit. Attend Court and take the punishment.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

mdwexford wrote: »
    I significantly doubt it’s been adjourned three times because the prosecuting Guard did not show up.

There are some decent guards around despite what you might think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Who cares how stressed they are. They drove while over the limit. Attend Court and take the punishment.

The OP seems genuinely stressed and never tried to excuse his actions. I hope it goes well for him tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Guard injured on duty and off for months, guard on maternity leave, guard on a course in Templemore, guard on holidays etc. It happens regularly enough, they'd usually have another guard stand in and tell judge why they aren't there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

OP having gone through it myself psychological torture you put yourself through worrying is always far worse than any sentence the judge will give. I'm convinced that's part of the reason they do this crap putting cases back all the time, time after time.

Try and just distract yourself from thinking about it and it will hopefully be over this time tomorrow. It's a hard thing to not think about, but it is well worth the effort as you have no idea how the court will go anyway. Which is annoying but really so much of it is out of your hands you can only turn up and let things take their course. Hope it gets dealt with finally and the judge is in good form.

He did 3 times. Enough is enough !

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Hey OP

Try to relax it's just a game to these people judges barristers solicitors

It's your whole life in your head tonight but they won't give you a second thought come Friday evening

Remember that

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bingbong500

Stressed? Do you know how "stressed" people are when their family members are killed by drunk drivers?
    It's not ok to be a drunk driver if you're "stressed". It doesn't excuse you. It doesn't mean you're allowed to not go to court or get off on a technicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

4ensic15 wrote: »
    There are some decent guards around despite what you might think

No idea what you mean.

I said I doubt the reason for the case being adjourned three times was the Guard not showing up. I didn’t say anything about the Guards not being decent?
    The OP seems genuinely stressed and never tried to excuse his actions. I hope it goes well for him tomorrow.

People are stressed every day.
    Anything other than a ban will be letting them off lightly.
    Guard injured on duty and off for months, guard on maternity leave, guard on a course in Templemore, guard on holidays etc. It happens regularly enough, they'd usually have another guard stand in and tell judge why they aren't there.

Three times in a row if the case is ready to proceed seems unlikely though.

Three times in a row if the case is ready to proceed seems unlikely though.

Whatever about the judge and jury stuff by boards md, it is likely.

The last conviction rate I have seen published is 58%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Get Real

Op fair play for facing the problem. Just wondering if by "being a man and face a problem you created yourself" you mean you're going guilty? If that's the case, don't let the barrister/solicitor drag it out over a few separate dates for more money.

It'll save mental anguish and having to attend on numerous days. In fact in theory, there's nothing to stop someone going guilty on day one and having it dealt with there and then. I'd wonder about the motive$ behind these numerous dates. It's you that's suffering in the long run.

Unless of course you're going not guilty, in which case it could be given numerous dates for a number of reasons, the guard only required to attend on the actual final hearing day of the case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement