Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaa watcher to Gaa player

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Havent been losing weight since i came back from holidays so im trying to clean up the diet and put more effort into the gym.
    30 days until Quest Killarney now and im bricking myself that i haven't enough done to complete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭queueeye

Havent been losing weight since i came back from holidays so im trying to clean up the diet and put more effort into the gym.
    30 days until Quest Killarney now and im bricking myself that i haven't enough done to complete it.
    Would you consider joining the seconds team at your local rugby club for the winter. They’re always looking for players. Even if you haven’t played it before the football will stand to you, it’s a great team game and the training will break up the long winter nights. Years ago we’ed a fella turned up to training from Eastern Europe, never played it before and very little English but he took to it like a duck to water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Get a couple hill runs in, now.
    Get few hilly cycles in.

Did derg expert Saturday. God it was tough

Get a couple hill runs in, now.
    Get few hilly cycles in.

Did derg expert Saturday. God it was tough

How would i be walking the hill section? did a lot of cycling last week

Yeah. Most people walk the uphill.

• Advertisement

Had a bad start to last week as lost a bit of motivation after a bad weigh in at the gym the week before. Finished off the week strong with a pb deadlifting in the gym, a steep hill walk with a weighted back pack (10kg) on saturday and a 30km cycle yesterday morning before going off with the family for the day. Going to push on for the next 10 days or so and then cool off for the last 2 days before the adventure race.

im doing the adventure race this saturday. Confident for the bike section and happy to hike the mountain. Getting to the finish line is my number one aim. im down to the lowest weight ive been for a few years now and noticing the difference in my clothes. After the adventure race im going to switch my focus to getting a 5k run done and then push on from there for next yrs gaa season.

Couple bits of advice if your first adventure race.

Take it handy this week. Couple short runs nothing silly.

Fuel on the day. Bring plenty with you, be that bananas, jelly, gels, chocolate, ham sandwiches.....whatever your poison. There will be nothing on offer as you go around.

Bring plenty of water with you. These adventure races do not hold your hand water wise. Might be one water station for the whole day.

Plenty vaseline in the chafey areas on the morning!!

Wear plenty on the cycle but don't be afraid to shed some layers for the run (runs). Leave as much as you can at the bike.

Eat & drink early, small and often.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Best of luck theemigrant.

Done a couple of adventure races (although this sounds more extreme than any I’ve done) and I’ve noticed that there is a really supportive culture where everyone helps others along the way. The term ‘race’ is a very loose one. The main aim is the enjoyment of everyone so don’t get bogged down in the competing aspect but rather enjoy the day.

I’d go as far to say that you’ve already won your own battle considering you’ve got this far so allow yourself to enjoy the day...as much as you can enjoy it based on the sounds of what’s ahead!

Let us know how you go!

Obrieski wrote: »
    Best of luck theemigrant.

Done a couple of adventure races (although this sounds more extreme than any I’ve done) and I’ve noticed that there is a really supportive culture where everyone helps others along the way. The term ‘race’ is a very loose one. The main aim is the enjoyment of everyone so don’t get bogged down in the competing aspect but rather enjoy the day.

I’d go as far to say that you’ve already won your own battle considering you’ve got this far so allow yourself to enjoy the day...as much as you can enjoy it based on the sounds of what’s ahead!

Let us know how you go!

Im only doing the short distance (27k) but its going to be a big deal to me as ive come from such a poor fitness level. Just aiming to get round in one piece.

• Advertisement

Race report: I fu**ing finished it!!!!

Have been in bits for the last few days as i really pushed through the pain barrier to finish the race. Sitting at a desk all day yesterday made my calf muscles very tight. Spent a lot of time in the pool and jacuzzi last night and then did a gym session this morning with the pt where i took it handy and tried to loosen myself out. Am now feeling ok again with the majority of the soreness gone.

Although i really suffered during the race i loved the feeling of accomplishment after i finished so im keen to train on and do more. I enjoyed it far more than any gaa games i've played this year as i was doing it under my own steam and not having to wait to get involved or hope that i get a game. The plan now is to do more running and keep up the cycling and gym sessions also.

Havent posted on this thread in a while,

Im now doing upwards of 100k on the bike some weeks and doing my own bit in the club gym. Since January first ive completed over 20 hrs of training with 310km covered between walking, running and cycling so things are going well.

Weight is now at just over 16 stone so around 2 stone gone from when i posted here last year.

Still a lot to improve on though but theres light at the end of the tunnel. i hope to be at my goal of 15 stone by Paddys day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Havent posted on this thread in a while,

Im now doing upwards of 100k on the bike some weeks and doing my own bit in the club gym. Since January first ive completed over 20 hrs of training with 310km covered between walking, running and cycling so things are going well.

Weight is now at just over 16 stone so around 2 stone gone from when i posted here last year.

Still a lot to improve on though but theres light at the end of the tunnel. i hope to be at my goal of 15 stone by Paddys day.

Fair play! I've followed your journey with interest. You're making huge progress . Well done

Fair play! I've followed your journey with interest. You're making huge progress . Well done

Thanks, A good bit done but lots more to do.

Said id log here again for some accountability.

Fell off the wagon during the pandemic somewhat with no gym to go to and the 2km restriction on the cycling.

Back cycling and playing gaa now.

Weight: 16 stone 13
    Fitness: Poor enough again and there's massive numbers with the junior team so for every game i don't play i do a minimum of an hr workout the next day to try close the gap. The club contested county final in 2011 & 2012 and the bones of that team are now lining out with us so a championship is a big possibility. Be great to be around a winning team but be nicer to be not getting splinters in the arse on the bench lol

Diet: Back on track.

Decided to go back playing a bit myself, bit later than the rest...first training last night, called off due to lack of numbers :pac:
    3rd team though so to be expected, best part of the lower teams is less training, more matches. Challenge tomorrow, then Tuesday and then championship the following weekend so looking forward to it.
    Hoping it might spark back my old love for playing and propel me back towards second team football next year when I can give it my all (Think my first team days are over, although one can always dream!)

Fair play OP, keep up the good work!

Last weeks training:

Monday : Birthday, Didnt do much but a good bit of walking
    Tuesday: Match, 5 minutes of game time. not really beneficial to me but the lads that are starting ahead of me deserve to be.
    Wednesday: 4k run/walk (couvh to 5k app) at lunchtime. 4k walk in evening.
    Thursday: 22k cycle after work. Average 25km/h
    Friday: Match, no game time.
    Saturday: 80k cycle. 55K with the cycling club and 25k of my spin in and out to the start point. Plenty of climbing in it and a seriously good workout. I was tired getting off the bike!! Average 23.5km/h. was sore after the 4hr drive to mayo straight after.
    Sunday: Eris head loop walk with herself when down visiting her family in mayo. 5k of walking/hiking.

Diet: Decent enough but room to improve.

Last weeks training:

Monday : Gaa training, Ran myself into the ground
    Tuesday: only walking
    Wednesday: Zilch, car trouble
    Thursday: Only walking
    Friday: Hard gaa training session,
    Saturday: 55k cycle with the cousin @ average 24km/h, Good workout plus plenty of walking
    Sunday: Sorting sheep at home so a day of running and dragging. 15k steps.

Diet: Decent enough but room to improve.

Weight: just under 16 stone 10

Need to dial in the food this week and bring lunch to work

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Last weeks training:

Need to dial in the food this week and bring lunch to work

Have you tried to download the MyFitnessPal app to track your calories.
    Never really bought into it until quite recently.
    If you track properly, it's amazing how the calories add up over the course of a day, and after some time you can easily begin to see where you are going wrong without needing to limit yourself to any huge degree.

Naturally, things like takeaways and beer are a big killer. Dominos for example, is absolutely crawling in calories.

But even everyday things, with small changes, can result in big changes. I, for example, stopped having cereal as the calories are quite high in it, and changed to scrambled eggs in the morning. Also, i enjoy a chocolate biscuit with a cup of tea...71 calories for each one of those so cut back on those (not completely but a little bit). With a couple of small changes, it's going a big way. Chicken fillet rolls are another huge calorie disaster, cut them out a lot too (except for the hangover days when everyone know that calories don't count!! ;) )

Keep up the good work

• Advertisement

Obrieski wrote: »
    Have you tried to download the MyFitnessPal app to track your calories.
    Never really bought into it until quite recently.
    If you track properly, it's amazing how the calories add up over the course of a day, and after some time you can easily begin to see where you are going wrong without needing to limit yourself to any huge degree.

Naturally, things like takeaways and beer are a big killer. Dominos for example, is absolutely crawling in calories.

But even everyday things, with small changes, can result in big changes. I, for example, stopped having cereal as the calories are quite high in it, and changed to scrambled eggs in the morning. Also, i enjoy a chocolate biscuit with a cup of tea...71 calories for each one of those so cut back on those (not completely but a little bit). With a couple of small changes, it's going a big way. Chicken fillet rolls are another huge calorie disaster, cut them out a lot too (except for the hangover days when everyone know that calories don't count!! ;) )

Keep up the good work

Yeah i have mfp but found before i was lying to myself a lot both about activity level and calorie consumption. now im getting into the habit of logging absolutely everything now. the additional calories from coffees etc in work are a bit mad!.

Last weeks training:

Monday : Gaa Match, Warm up, cool down and 15 mins playing time. Went for a walk that night as calfs were tight.
    Tuesday: only walking
    Wednesday: Good Spin with the cycling club. 57.5km @ 25.5 km/h average.

Thursday: Needed to go into the bank to lodge a check so went on the bike.
    Friday: Match cancelled due to corona.Played a bit of football with my son but nothing major done

Saturday: Not a massive amount as minding my son. kicking practice with him and general stuff at home.

Sunday:

Couch to 5K:

I made up the distance to 5k by walking a further 2.5k.

Cycling spin with the cousin. Good testing route.

Weight: just under 16 Stone 7 so almost half a stone gone since i started posting here again

Diet is going well. Im playing around with foods that seem to work for me etc. Had a takeaway Saturday though.... A nice treat

Last weeks training:

Monday : 38km cycle after work. Average 25.6km/h

Tuesday: 3.5km walk at lunchtime, 26km cycle after work

Wednesday: Couch to 5k week 2 run 1 before work, a walk with herself in the evening

Thursday: 22km cycle after work. Very steady pace

Friday: Couch to 5k week 2 run 2 before work, Lunchtime 4.5k walk & 22km after work cycle

Saturday: Brick session: 18.5km cycle to Donadea, Couch to 5k week 2 run 3 when there and then another 18.5k cycle home

Sunday:51km cycle with dad & a few neighbours.

all in almost 10hrs of training this week with 196km done on the bike

Weight: 16 stone 5 this morning

Diet is going well but i had a takeaway last night as my cheat meal. Needed for sanity i think.

Im feeling a lot stronger on the bike especially on hills

I was feeling very sorry for myself yesterday as the adventure race i was training for was cancelled and then the Gaa is more than likely going to be cancelled too. It could be worse, im healthier and now 2 stone lighter than my heaviest around this time 2 years ago.

I dont think anyone actually reads this but i find it good for accountability.

Not a great week for training as we were extremely busy in work but the diet went well so im happy with that.

Wight this morning: Bang on 16 stone.... Thats 13 pounds gone this month!!!

Monday: Couch to 5k week 3 Run 1 & a 3k walk with herself on the Blueway

Tuesday: Zero, i was feeling sorry for myself about my race and the gaa being cancelled lol

Wednesday: Couch to 5k week 3 run 2 and a 7k walk listening to a podcast

Thursday: Late day in work

Friday: Another busy day in work

Saturday: Couch to 5k week 3 Run 3 with my 9yo son. He ran every interval!!. 4.5k walk with herself and the dog

Sunday: 43k group cycle at a steady pace. 8k walk along the blueway listening to a podcast.

8.5 hrs training this week. Had thought it was a poor week until i checked my strava and id actually trained 6 days

Weight: Same as last week 16 stone (Diet can and will be better this week)

Monday: 21.2km bike over Hills. 155m of climbing 22.6km/h. Cut short because we met a drunk driver crashed into a river.

Tuesday: Couch to 5k Week 4 Run 1. 3.2km

Wednesday:Cycling club group cycle. 33km bike, 104m climbing, 25.5km/h. A few pr's on route.

Thursday: Zilch, Anniversary with herself so i brought her out for dinner. Over ate etc but feck it, only live once.

Friday: Couch to 5k Week 4 Run 2: 3.7km

Saturday: Morning: 40km club cycle, 24.5km/h Afternoon: 4km cycle with my son on the mtb Night: Couch to 5k week 4 run 3, 3.6km

Sunday:Morning: 53km cycle with dad and a few other locals. 24km/h. 217m Climbing Afternoon: 3km walk around local woods with herself and the little lad.

stats for the week: 165km covered in 8.5hrs

Im going to try for a swim this evening as my legs are sore enough.

Back GAA training last night. in a world of hurt today!!

weekly Log in:

I had physio last week and back to Football last week and was suffering after it so my weekly hours training are down.

Monday: I took the day off

Tuesday: Couch to 5k week 5 Run 1, I had Physio in the evening also for an annoying niggle in my neck. Apparently the issue is a weak core so ill try work on that

Wednesday: Core workout i found on the internet

Thursday: Gaa Training... My hamstrings were on fire for the majority of it and tbh i played terrible. Im usually fairly decent when on the ball but could do nothing right.

Friday:Woke up very Sore. Stretching routine at Lunchtime, Couch to 5k week 5 run 2 after work and then another bit of stretching before bed.

Saturday: 58k with the cycling club. Probably the best day ive had on the bike. On a fairly hilly route i was the first up every climb and then on the spin home i took 3 mins off my pb on the route. I brought my son kayaking in the afternoon.

Sunday: 9am GAA training session (Mad stuff for a junior c team). turned the watch on and recorded the session. 5k covered with a lot of sprinting and hand passing games etc. Enjoyable and burned almost 900 calories. Spent the evening moving Lambs with dad and then watched the club senor game on live stream.

Weight: 15st 13 but id a big pizza last night so probably not really reflective. Still a bit down from last week on a poor weeks training so happy enough.

I wasnt happy with myself that i didnt get my 3rd couch to 5k run in but the gaa training is probably on par?. Would welcome any comment on that part

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    I wasnt happy with myself that i didnt get my 3rd couch to 5k run in but the gaa training is probably on par?. Would welcome any comment on that part

They're not really comparable outside of both involve running. W5D3 means a 20-minute run without stopping.

Football is a lot of strolling, light jogging and short bursts of sprinting. That's not to say there is no benefit but I would inclined to make your next running day W5D3 rather than skip it and move onto W6 just because it's a new week on the calendar. The 3rd day is the long run of the week so I'd be inclined to get it done.

As an aside, your physio really should have given you exercises that will help resolve the neck issue.

• Advertisement

Missed a few days 2 weeks ago and then was on holidays. For my log ill try piece it together,

Friday 11th : Hike up Keash caves with herself (415 calories)

Saturday 12th : 40min Gym session in Hotel (257)

Sunday 13th: 5k walk/run at erris head in fierce windy conditions (550 Calories)

Monday 14th: Hotel Gym in morning (261 calories) , Hiked Carrigeenamronety in the afternoon (528 calories) & 5k walk in the evening (407 calories)

Tuesday 15th: Couch to 5k week 6 run 2- on a treadmill

Wednesday 16th: Morning Swim- leisurely with herself as last day of our holiday. Home for our first round championship game that night. No game time but a great win for the team.

Thursday: Couch to 5k week 6 run 3- in the dark with a headlamp

Friday: Gaa training- Ran myself into the ground.

Saturday: Hiked up the local Allen Hill with the little lad.

Sunday: 50km cycle with the father thinking i wouldnt be playing the gaa match that evening. Big shock to the system when i was brought on in the second half lol. We won well, topped our group and are into a semi final now so no more biking on match days :p

It was great to get some game time last night. Our next game is on one of the county pitches.

Edit: im the same weight as the last post so im taking that as a win consodering there was a fair bit of eating on holiday

Advertisement