Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG CX on special in Harvey Norman this weekend only. Can pay deposit.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

bk wrote: »
    Problem is your likely reading about different generations of TV's, the older TV's seemed to have more issues and didn't have the various anti-burn in technologies.

Newer gen OLED TV's don't seem to have the same issues and have various techniques to avoid it.

There aren't any software techniques to avoid it. Screen saver helps. But LG would need to build better panel with better cooling to reduce the risk.
    bk wrote: »
    LG seem to be so sure of their new tech, that they are now building OLED PC monitors, which typically would be the worst case scenario for burn in.

LG warranty explicitly excludes burn-in, so they are not really that sure of that technology.

They are simply racing to sell as much OLEDs as possible before Dual Layer LCD (exp. MegaCon), MiniLED and MicroLED screens become common. The management hopes that before that happens the quality of picture of OLEDs is good enough so that even if some people get burn-in, the sales will still flow. It is not a remote future - happens right now: read today that the predictions for OLED production equipment are down by 2% with the MiniLED surging.

Ipersonally don't freak about burn-in. Even if it happens, it is very difficult to see it in real-life content.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Looking at this LG:

https://www.richersounds.com/lg-sl8y.html

Comes with sub and can be expanded with surround speakers.

On paper it looks great: 3.1 and the sub is of decent size.

I would have a few complaints:
    * the accessory surrounds speakers are very poor. There is absolutely zero response below 180Hz.
    * LG bars are rather quiet, so if you have bigger room, it will probably exhibit compression and pumping
    * very few objective reviews
    * with brand that releases a completely new lineup every year, it is IMHO a bit too expensive for a 2019 model.

I'd rather consider Sonos Beam+2xSymfonisk or Klipsch Cinema 600 for similar money you'd pay for bundle SL8Y+SPK8-s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭dam099

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Lot of talk about burn in. I would have sworn I accidentally opened a thread from 2011!!

As others said, the screensaver thing is quick to kick in once something is paused. Not too sure what protection it has if I leave my Firestick or PS5 idle though.

Most external devices should have a screensaver or dimming mode of their own as well, would just need to make sure to set up individually on all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

grogi wrote: »

* the accessory surrounds speakers are very poor. There is absolutely zero response below 180Hz.
    * LG bars are rather quiet, so if you have bigger room, it will probably exhibit compression and pumping
    * with brand that releases a completely new lineup every year, it is IMHO a bit too expensive for a 2019 model.

I'd rather consider Sonos Beam+2xSymfonisk or Klipsch Cinema 600 for similar money you'd pay for bundle SL8Y+SPK8-s.

You might let us know where you can get a 600 for £400.

Soarer wrote: »
    You might let us know where you can get a 600 for £400.

RS have them for €640. You'd pay €500 for SL8Y + €150 for SPK8-s that the poster considers.

• Advertisement

RS have them for €640. You'd pay €500 for SL8Y + €150 for SPK8-s that the poster considers.

That’s not comparing like with like though is it?

And even using your bad pricing (RS have the SL8Y for £400), you’d be better off with the LG + surrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Sonos Beam doesn't have Dolby Atmos?

Ush1 wrote: »
    Sonos Beam doesn't have Dolby Atmos?

No, it doesn't. But it's more a question of if you want a Jack of all trades, master of none, or something that does one thing right :)

Sonos Beam + IKEA Surrounds should give you excellent surround, but without ground shaking bass nor Atmos. Symfonisks are effectively rebranded Sonos Play Ones (using the same PCM5101A DAC and same TPA3116 D-Class amp) with a few minor cost cutting measures.

LG SL8Y+SPK8-s will give you deep, but boomy bass that has a tendency to overpower the dialogue, questionable surround quality and even more questionable Atmos.

Atmos is money thrown away at that price point IMHO - you really need up-firing satellites (LG SN11, Samsung Q950T, JBL 9.1 et at. Arc has good Atmos performance too, despite being only .2) to actually get anything out of it. My advice is to ignore Atmos completely in your decision process at this price.

That’s not comparing like with like though is it?

No, it isn't.
    And even using your bad pricing (RS have the SL8Y for £400), you’d be better off with the LG + surrounds.

How much does £400+shipping translates to? You really going to hold it over me for €20?

How much does £400+shipping translates to? You really going to hold it over me for €20?

Again, random numbers. Where did you get the €20 from?

The SL8Y is £399, ~€465 with Revolut.
    Delivery is free, so that's €465 delivered.

The Cinema 600 is €639 with free delivery.

A bit more than the €20 you mentioned.

• Advertisement

Again, random numbers. Where did you get the €20 from?

I though you were slamming me for saying SL8Y costs €500. :)

I though you were slamming me for saying SL8Y costs €500. :)

Well tbf, it is €499 with RS. But you can pay in Sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭EarWig

LG warranty explicitly excludes burn-in, so they are not really that sure of that technology.

They are simply racing to sell as much OLEDs as possible before Dual Layer LCD (exp. MegaCon), MiniLED and MicroLED screens become common. The management hopes that before that happens the quality of picture of OLEDs is good enough so that even if some people get burn-in, the sales will still flow. It is not a remote future - happens right now: read today that the predictions for OLED production equipment are down by 2% with the MiniLED surging.

Ipersonally don't freak about burn-in. Even if it happens, it is very difficult to see it in real-life content.
    https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1620974864

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1610344427

The PC monitors are coming because they know there is a big latent demand for them. A lot of gamers have bought the 48in OLED.

Photographers who like to say things like 'the blacks aren't black' can't wait for them.

The warranty issue is more to prevent 'deliberate' or 'mishandling' burn in, if you ask me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There aren't any software techniques to avoid it. Screen saver helps. But LG would need to build better panel with better cooling to reduce the risk.

LG OLED's come with a number of software tricks to limit burn-in:
    - Screen saver
    - Static Image dimming, if it detects a static image like a logo, it automatically dims that part of the screen
    - Screen-shifting, again for static images, it gradually shifts the image to reduce wear on a particular pixel.
    - Pixel-refresher

All of these happen automatically and most people would never even notice them happening in the background.

Also, it isn't just software, LG Display has also been tweaking and improving the physical design of OLED over time. They have changed the size of the individual colour diodes, are using new better organic compounds, etc.

When OLED's first came out, they were rated for only 36,000 hours, now they are rated for 100,000 hours. Things improve over time.

They really seemed to crack it from their 2018 models on with almost no reports of burn-in from 2018 models on. And now that they are pushing it to PC monitors, shows a real confidence that it won't be a major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There's software in their TVs aimed at tackling and reducing it. Regardless though, it's not an issue for the regular home user.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭PCDub

Now if they can only prevent there tendency to develop dead pixels. My B8 is best tv i've ever owned but noticed recently it started to develop little clusters of dead pixels, not enough yet to notice from 8ft but if they continue to appear i might be testing the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

I have the Panasonic 65” GZ950 OLED and have had no issues with burn in. I run the screen pixel refresh/repair function once a month but the TV does it itself periodically.

I had a LG OLED before this and I did notice some beginnings of what I thought was burn in so I sold it and bought the Panasonic.

Hurrache wrote: »
    There's software in their TVs aimed at tackling and reducing it. Regardless though, it's not an issue for the regular home user.

That software is there to trick you into false belief that the risk of burn-in is being handed and is not an issue, so you're more comfortable in pulling the trigger.

* Pixel shifter is completely useless. Absolutely and utterly 100% useless. Shifting image by few pixels will not prevent burn-in exp. around logos. It can only make it a bit more blurry on the edges. You would need to shift by 10% horizontally to have a meaningful effect - and that is something you'd notice :D

* Dimming of static pictures is equally completely useless if we are talking about computer screen, which is in majority static picture. Either the display degrade picture quality, throws the calibration settings away and does the dimming - which undermines its usefulness in professional setup - or it fulfills its duties and doesn't dim. If you can live with a screen that goes out of calibration on its own, you don't really need an OLED in the first place ;)

* Pixel refresher doesn't fight burn-in, it hides it. It is my understanding that its purpose is to precisely measure electricity drawn by parts of the screen and compensate for the fluctuations. In other words, it is designed to hide if parts of your screen started degrading, not to prevent degradation.

* Screen saver obviously works, but it's applications are limited too.

Burn-in is a hardware issue - degradation of the organic compound caused by overheating from constant light emission. On the hardware front the LG Displays have done a good bit and I honestly believe that with this year sets the chances o burn-in are miniscule. But the risk is there.
    - enlarged the red cells, so not only it is easier to dissipate power and keep them cool, there is more headroom. Compare C7 vs C1:

pixels-purple-large.jpg
    pixels-large.jpg

- reduce the maximum brightness of the panels: C8 were reaching 1000 nits, C1 have mere 750 nits.

Panasonic have been doing their thing too - adding extra metalic layer at the back of the panel to improve the cooling - which seems to improve things a lot. I haven't read a single incident of burn-in in Panasonic displays, but that might also be caused by smaller numbers of them sold.

I am not saying all that to convince anybody not to buy an OLED display. I have one, it is calibrated in SDR for 150 nits and as bright as possible for HDR. We use it daily to watch shows and movies, kids use it to play games (bloody Minecraft) and watch their stuff. Nobody is babysitting it and nobody is pixel peeping to check if we got burn-in already. I honestly don't know if I have vertical banding either.

I am however prepared that there will be some sooner or later - and I don't care. At the point when it becomes noticeable I will be changing the screen anyway, because this one became obsolete.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

hi grogi - who did your calibration?

hi grogi - who did your calibration?

I have a colorimeter myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

That software is there to trick you into false belief that the risk of burn-in is being handed and is not an issue, so you're more comfortable in pulling the trigger.

I keep posting a link to a long term test of OLEDs using a case likely to increase the liklihood of burn in, on a previous generation of OLEDs, and there's no risk to a regular user.

Hurrache wrote: »
    I keep posting a link to a long term test of OLEDs using a case likely to increase the liklihood of burn in, on a previous generation of OLEDs, and there's no risk to a regular user.

What that has to do with the evaluation of software trickery that battles burn-in?

Secondly, the marketing talk is clearly working :D

Thirdly, Rtings clearly showed that if you primarily watch content with saturated red, orange or yellow static elements, the risk is real. This covers cable logos (as exhibited with CNN logo), UI elements (red health indicators, rev limiters - those stay at the screen all the time in same place) etc. The risk is much lower with desaturated elements, such as BBC logos, game score etc.

Those are results of a vote in avforums:

553442.png

~60% of 2016 panels have burnIn
    ~30% of 2017 panels have burnIn.
    ~6% of 2018 panels have burnIn

The survey was started late 2018, so I expect more of the early non-affected votes would convert to affected by now. So even if the interpret the Rtings C7 test (2017 panel) that burn in is not a risk for people normally using the display, it clearly is for people using their own sets. I doubt they are deliberately abuse those... The risk is steadily decreasing, but it's still there, especially if you want to use the OLED as computer display.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭gaming_needs90

Tbh I wouldn't be worried about burn in with Ireland's 6 year rule. I would simply go to the small claims and, most likely, achieve a judgement in my favor.

Tbh I wouldn't be worried about burn in with Ireland's 6 year rule. I would simply go to the small claims and, most likely, achieve a judgement in my favor.

6 years rule does not give you 6 years protection against any fault. It gives you 6 years of protection against fault present at the moment of purchase. It will be pretty challenging to prove you didn't notice the problems for 5 years watching the darn thing or you weren't aware of the risk associated (you just posted in a thread that states them clearly and laudly) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭gaming_needs90

6 years rule does not give you 6 years protection against any fault. It gives you 6 years of protection against fault present at the moment of purchase. It will be pretty challenging to prove you didn't notice the problems for 5 years watching the thing or you weren't aware of the risk associated (you just posted in a thread that states them clearly and laudly) :)

That is true but there has been a few cases I have come across where it has gone in the claimants favor. Besides, the shop will probably agree to a repair before the judgement out of ease.

One of the upcoming mini-LED tvs would probably be a better shout long term.

That is true but there has been a few cases I have come across where it has gone in the claimants favor. Besides, the shop will probably agree to a repair before the judgement out of ease.

True. It is cheaper to replace the TV (unless it is very fresh set, they won't fix it) than to engage solicitor. If the practice becomes common though, they will start going to court.

I have a colorimeter myself.

did you profile your colorimeter? i was contemplating buying my own but then found out you have to essentially calibrate the meter before using?

did you profile your colorimeter? i was contemplating buying my own but then found out you have to essentially calibrate the meter before using?

That's a rabbit hole, isn't it? :D

I didn't calibrate it per-se, but I had an ability to compare its results with lab equipment at UCC and it was close enough not to loose my sleep over it. I was more interested in correcting gamma tracking than colour errors - and that is much easier to do.

That's a rabbit hole, isn't it? :D

I didn't calibrate it per-se, but I had an ability to compare its results lab equipment at UCC and it was close enough not to loose my sleep over it. I was more interested in correcting gamma tracking than colour errors - and that is much easier to do.

yeah i was thinking of calman autocal for sony and irite pro plus.. but i think ill hold out for professional calibration later in the year when travel is open.. the aj90 looks pretty good out of the box but its so good you can see the potential there that calibration will make it even better

• Advertisement

yeah i was thinking of calman autocal for sony and irite pro plus.. but i think ill hold out for professional calibration later in the year when travel is open.. the aj90 looks pretty good out of the box but its so good you can see the potential there that calibration will make it even better

You need an extra license for Calman Autocal on top of the hardware purchase... :| Miniscule cost if you have AJ90 though :D

Advertisement