Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a limit to the number of council houses in private estate?

Options
  • 19-01-2019 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

And if so, what is it? Tried googling and found nothing but I remember hearing before that there was.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

macnug wrote: »
    And if so, what is it? Tried googling and found nothing but I remember hearing before that there was.

No, no max limit.
    In new developments, developer have to allow for 10% of units to be bought by the council for social use but this will be a minimum of 10%. Some estates are more.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

kceire wrote: »
    No, no max limit.
    In new developments, developer have to allow for 10% of units to be bought by the council for social use but this will be a minimum of 10%. Some estates are more.

Wow that is crazy. The reason I am asking is a lot of houses for sale in the estate I live have been bought by the council, and out-bidding private bidders in the process. I dont mind 10%-20% of them being council, but i thought surely they cant turn a whole private housing estate into effectively a council estate as it wouldn't be fair on the people with bought their houses. At the moment its around 10% in my estate but Im starting to wonder will it ever end.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

No limit.

I wonder if there was more than 50 percent would it become a council estate with private houses in it rather than a private estate with council houses on it

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Mr_Man2121

Wow that is crazy. The reason I am asking is a lot of houses for sale in the estate I live have been bought by the council, and out-bidding private bidders in the process. I dont mind 10%-20% of them being council, but i thought surely they cant turn a whole private housing estate into effectively a council estate as it wouldn't be fair on the people with bought their houses. At the moment its around 10% in my estate but Im starting to wonder will it ever end.

Same here too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭uli84

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

If it's a new development, the rules under Part V are that the local authority can decide what % of the units must be reserved for use as social housing but it is subject to a cap of 10%. So they cannot demand more than 10% be allocated.

If though, the development includes rental properties or the owners of the properties want to rent them directly to the council (who pay a guaranteed rate and take over the maintainence costs after 6 months) they can still do that and bring the percentage of social housing to more than 10% in the process.

ShaneC93 wrote: »
    If it's a new development, the rules under Part V are that the local authority can decide what % of the units must be reserved for use as social housing but it is subject to a cap of 10%. So they cannot demand more than 10% be allocated.

If though, the development includes rental properties or the owners of the properties want to rent them directly to the council (who pay a guaranteed rate and take over the maintainence costs after 6 months) they can still do that and bring the percentage of social housing to more than 10% in the process.

No the estate was built in 2006 and back then the builder allocated units to the council as per agreement but in the last year or so, every house thats been sold has gone to the council. So far about 10 houses are now council in an estate of about 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

the builder sells houses. the councils buy houses (in addition to allocated social houses).

their money is good. don't see the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭SteM

If I was in the position of trying to buy right now and was being out bid by a council using taxpayer money, that I've contributed to, then I might be a bit annoyed. This on top of the fact that many councils sold off a lot of their housing stock for a relative pittance back in the 90's. I could have some sympathy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i can understand people thinking the council housing strategy should be examined and revamped given today's housing market circumstances.

i cannot understand why the tenants who rent from the council are demonised for this.

if the council were banned from buying houses on the open market, will employees etc be left living in hostels? No, the tenant would be left in limbo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭The Student

i can understand people thinking the council housing strategy should be examined and revamped given today's housing market circumstances.

i cannot understand why the tenants who rent from the council are demonised for this.

if the council were banned from buying houses on the open market, will employees etc be left living in hostels? No, the tenant would be left in limbo.

The issue is that a small minority and I mean a small minority of council tenants cause complete and utter havoc and the council don't care making other peoples lives a misery.

If councils dealt with this small minority then the demonizing of council tenants would quickly disappear.

I don't think anyone has even demonised council tenants in this thread, I havnt certainly, my issues is with there being no upper limit in private estates to the point a private estate could become majority council. This effects resale value for the remaining owner ocupiers. Plus one of the reasons that councils say they don't want to build estates anymore is to avoid ghettos, yet have no problem buying up whole estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭The Student

I don't think anyone has even demonised council tenants in this thread, I havnt certainly, my issues is with there being no upper limit in private estates to the point a private estate could become majority council. This effects resale value for the remaining owner ocupiers. Plus one of the reasons that councils say they don't want to build estates anymore is to avoid ghettos, yet have no problem buying up whole estates.

One of the main reason's ghetto's exist is because of the councils unwillingness to deal with the anti social behavior.

There is a stigma attached to council housing because of the small minority of problem tenants. You are indirectly discriminating against council tenants by querying at what point a private estate becomes a council one.

One of the main reason's ghetto's exist is because of the councils unwillingness to deal with the anti social behavior.

There is a stigma attached to council housing because of the small minority of problem tenants. You are indirectly discriminating against council tenants by querying at what point a private estate becomes a council one.

I didn't actually query that, I queried was there a limit to amount of private houses can be bought by the council in an estate. The intent was to seek clarification on the question, not discriminate.

I came from a council estate but decided to buy in a private estate because of the stigma, discrimination and more importantly the antisocial behaviour that comes with it.

I think it's unfair that you can work your way out of such ghettos only to find yourself back in one through no fault of your own with a large mortgage over your head. That being said I'm personally in a position where I could move tommorow but some of my neighbours are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Maybe once upon a time but today a lot of people would take the hand off you to become a council tenant in a private estate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭An_Toirpin

Maybe once upon a time but today a lot of people would take the hand off you to become a council tenant in a private estate

No one aims to become a council tenant. Who would?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

An_Toirpin wrote: »

Lots of people want to become a council tenant. Each council has long waiting lists of people who want to do just that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭An_Toirpin

Lots of people want to become a council tenant. Each council has long waiting lists of people who want to do just that.

It is clearly their second choice, due to lack of skills and earning power.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

An_Toirpin Do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The taxpayer is getting outbid by someone spending their taxes to house those who pay no taxes themselves

That'll end well alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

When the councils were building houses themselves it was found that it cost more than it would have cost to buy up private houses, so the councils started buying houses. there are guidelines as to the number of council tenants who can be house together as well as the overall desired mix. It is thus not going to be the case than an estate will turn into an entirely or even majority council tenanted development.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Thats awful, I pity the people who will inevitably see the value of their house decrease and especially elderly people who thought they had done well having to watch a ghetto erupt before their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Oh come on... Perhaps that is the PC viewpoint but everyone knows it is not the truth. You have 15/16 year old girls planning to get pregnant to "get a house".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Of course people aim to be a council tenant. What’s wrong with being a council tenant? If you are 4th or 5th generation social housing tenant then your goal is to be housed by the local authority near to your family and friends. You wouldn’t have any interest in or expectation of owning a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

splinter65 wrote: »
    Of course people aim to be a council tenant. What’s wrong with being a council tenant? If you are 4th or 5th generation social housing tenant then your goal is to be housed by the local authority near to your family and friends. You wouldn’t have any interest in or expectation of owning a home.

and this is an attitude and problem in our society that needs to be killed stone dead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Thats awful, I pity the people who will inevitably see the value of their house decrease and especially elderly people who thought they had done well having to watch a ghetto erupt before their eyes.

Pride comes before a fall. People shouldn't be smug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Do councils still buy houses directly? I was under the impression that most social housing is being purchased by associations like Tuath.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,521 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

splinter65 wrote: »

Or perhaps you wouldn't have any expectation of getting the kind of job that allows you to own a home? You know, the jobs that pay more than the minimum wage?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Or perhaps you wouldn't have any expectation of getting the kind of job that allows you to own a home? You know, the jobs that pay more than the minimum wage?

Or maybe some simply do not have the abilities to get access to the type of jobs that pay the amounts, so they can afford to buy their own home?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Recent posting on this thread falls below the standard required by the forum charter. It is the same users posting the same stuff on similar threads each time and this isn't the first warning given. Please familiarise yourself with the charter and think before posting as action will have to follow in future

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement