Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a limit to the number of council houses in private estate?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 PapaG

So where would you have bought if you had known there was no cap?

A second hand house un an established estate rather than a brand new estate with fancy advertising etc being marketed as an exclusive development and all that. If I wanted to live in a council estate I could have and saved myself a hundred grand and a decade off my mortgage. Yes I know the LAs can potentially buy anywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Are ye having problems in the estate?

bigpink wrote: »
    Are ye having problems in the estate?

Not in mine as they haven't moved in but in another estate in a nearby town they are having a nightmare and L.A. doesn't want to know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

PapaG wrote: »
    A second hand house un an established estate rather than a brand new estate with fancy advertising etc being marketed as an exclusive development and all that. If I wanted to live in a council estate I could have and saved myself a hundred grand and a decade off my mortgage. Yes I know the LAs can potentially buy anywhere.

The thing is, once your estate is finished, it is handed over to the council, and then becomes a council estate.

kceire wrote: »
    The thing is, once your estate is finished, it is handed over to the council, and then becomes a council estate.

Actually we are all been paying property management fees of €400 -€500 p.a. for the last decade as the estate has a property management company in place. The Council doesn't want to take over the common areas we have been told, they just want the houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

And what happens when the Council starts buying up houses in the established estates?

And what happens when the Council starts buying up houses in the established estates?

Depends on the estate I suppose.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I thought some LAs were already doing this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Graham wrote: »
    I thought some LAs were already doing this.

Most if not all do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭1641

kceire wrote: »

To say the least, this is very misleading. The estate being "handed over to the council" means the Council assumes responsibility for road maintenance, public lighting, sewers, etc. The same as it does for public streets anywhere. It does not "become a council estate".

Dictionary result for council estate
    noun

noun: council estate; plural noun: council estates
    1. an area of houses built and rented out to tenants by a local council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

And landlords can also have tenants who receive HAP/RAS and the effect would be the same?

And landlords can also have tenants who receive HAP/RAS and the effect would be the same?

It depends on the volume. Turning an estate from 10% social to 48% social overnight isn't fair on the people who bought their houses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

It depends on the volume. Turning an estate from 10% social to 48% social overnight isn't fair on the people who bought their houses.

Just because you fell for sales patter buying a house, you want the councils to leave people in homelessness?
    If you want to avoid having council tenants as neighbours, you should sell to the council yourself and trade up!

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Just because you fell for sales patter buying a house, you want the councils to leave people in homelessness?
    If you want to avoid having council tenants as neighbours, you should sell to the council yourself and trade up!

Spare me the self righteousness. Clearly you don't have a mortgage. The houses that were bought were all rented by people in the private rental sector, they all got eviction notices three weeks before Christmas. That was done to accommodate this deal. Some people were in their houses for over five years. So who added to the housing crisis there?

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

1641 wrote: »
    To say the least, this is very misleading. The estate being "handed over to the council" means the Council assumes responsibility for road maintenance, public lighting, sewers, etc. The same as it does for public streets anywhere. It does not "become a council estate".

Dictionary result for council estate
    noun

noun: council estate; plural noun: council estates
    1. an area of houses built and rented out to tenants by a local council.

Kind Slices

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Spare me the self righteousness. Clearly you don't have a mortgage. The houses that were bought were all rented by people in the private rental sector, they all got eviction notices three weeks before Christmas. That was done to accommodate this deal. Some people were in their houses for over five years. So who added to the housing crisis there?

I am sure your heart was breaking for the tenants. You would have no complaint if the tenants were evicted and people of your aspirational social classes bought the houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

How is it not fair?

4ensic15 wrote: »
    I am sure your heart was breaking for the tenants. You would have no complaint if the tenants were evicted and people of your aspirational social classes bought the houses.

Actually we knew a lot of the people and were upset for them as they were good neigbours. The whole thing has caused them a lot of stress but as long as people like you get your way then they don't matter And it's not about social class. I lived in a council estate for years so again spare me.

How is it not fair?

Because its disproportionate and its having a disproportionate knock on effect on valuations, sending people back into negative equity.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

How is it not fair?

Are you for real? You don't seem to have any idea how many thousands of days it takes for a homeowner to afford the deposit, let alone the house.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thread has run its course. The answer to the question in the title is No.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement