Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rasberry pi 2, what do you do with yours?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

You the man thanks, 32gb card defo getting wiped. I only have a RPi B+ so might go for the other version

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

eddhorse wrote: »
    You the man thanks, 32gb card defo getting wiped. I only have a RPi B+ so might go for the other version

It might run ok on a B+. You can alway go in and move/delete the .mng files from the snap folder. That will disable the preview video and just use the normal still images. Should free up some resources.

But yes, that other distro uses a lot less resources and should run on most Pi's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

It's actually been a good while since I played with my RPI2 but I've recently gotten it back and I'm gonna fiddle with it again. Need a new SD card because the one I used was a right piece of unreliable crap.

What's the compatibility with Mame these days, any notable improvements in the past 6 months?

When I set up emulators on it last year Mame (can't remember which version) was the only one that had trouble with most stuff I threw at it (late 80's / early 90's era) so I disabled it in the end. PS1, Neo Geo, and Mario Kart 64 ran fantastically on it at the time.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    It's actually been a good while since I played with my RPI2 but I've recently gotten it back and I'm gonna fiddle with it again. Need a new SD card because the one I used was a right piece of unreliable crap.

What's the compatibility with Mame these days, any notable improvements in the past 6 months?

When I set up emulators on it last year Mame (can't remember which version) was the only one that had trouble with most stuff I threw at it (late 80's / early 90's era) so I disabled it in the end. PS1, Neo Geo, and Mario Kart 64 ran fantastically on it at the time.

Well you're still dealing with the same basic MAME romsets. So 0.37b5 for MAME4All and 0.106 for AdvanceMAME.
    I wouldn't think of the Pi as something to play every MAME game. It's a good replacement for those 60 in 1 or 400 in 1 type boards.

Did you have the correct romsets before? If not then you would get a load of roms/games giving errors or just not loading. To be fair, there are lots of games that have issues, but most of the time thats not down to the Pi, but the romsets and MAME version(it'd be the same on a modern PC if using those romsets and versions of the emulators).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

To repeat, I had no idea PS emulators were so good on tr RP2, it means that some titles unsupported on Mame, or poorly optimised, will run a treat, Raiden 2 and DX, GDarius, Einhander, the list isn't quite endless but there's tons on the format and, now, on the RP2 as well, albeit via Retropie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Well you're still dealing with the same basic MAME romsets. So 0.37b5 for MAME4All and 0.106 for AdvanceMAME.
    I wouldn't think of the Pi as something to play every MAME game. It's a good replacement for those 60 in 1 or 400 in 1 type boards.

Did you have the correct romsets before? If not then you would get a load of roms/games giving errors or just not loading. To be fair, there are lots of games that have issues, but most of the time thats not down to the Pi, but the romsets and MAME version(it'd be the same on a modern PC if using those romsets and versions of the emulators).

Oh I already have Mame properly set up on other systems so like yourself I'd only have Mame on the Pi running a few choice games like Snow Bros., Bubble Bobble, and whatnot. The Pi would be mostly used for other consoles anyways which it handles them like a dream, might do the Kodi setup with it too if I'm arsed.

At the time I wasn't too pushed about Mame which was why I disabled it, spent most my time with the PS1 / SNES side. Last time I checked the likes of the Mortal Kombat series and Sunset Riders had sound / speed issues so was just interested to see if there were any boosts on the emulation side of things.

Same for the N64 which I knew was a complete hog on the system. Mario Kart 64 being the only one I played on it, I was surprised my N64 USB controller adapter immediately worked on the Pi so I didn't have to configure anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Damien King

anyone having a no sound issue with the n64?

downloading now Steve, gonna take a while :) overnighter, maybe a good time to go to 360MB with Virgin

downloading now Steve, gonna take a while :) overnighter, maybe a good time to go to 360MB with Virgin

Yeah, I went for it. Pretty decent actually. Just make sure they send you out the new Virgin modem, it's white.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Yeah, I went for it. Pretty decent actually. Just make sure they send you out the new Virgin modem, it's white.

Ah so its back to two boxes again.
    Hmmm do Virgin have two boxes in the UK or will they incorporate their own TV boxes soon i wonder.

• Advertisement

Ah so its back to two boxes again.
    Hmmm do Virgin have two boxes in the UK or will they incorporate their own TV boxes soon i wonder.

Well I always had two boxes. The horizon piece of crap in the living room and a separate line for the Internet in my office. Maybe they still do an all in one as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    To repeat, I had no idea PS emulators were so good on tr RP2, it means that some titles unsupported on Mame, or poorly optimised, will run a treat, Raiden 2 and DX, GDarius, Einhander, the list isn't quite endless but there's tons on the format and, now, on the RP2 as well, albeit via Retropie.

I'm sure the purists will say the emulation isn't ideal but I have played, Wipeout 2097, Vigilante 8 and Nuclear Strike with no issues. It's fantastic.

Need to get some games that I really wanted to play at the time but didn't have the cash.

Really need to use it more, just no time these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm sure the purists will say the emulation isn't ideal but I have played, Wipeout 2097, Vigilante 8 and Nuclear Strike with no issues. It's fantastic.

Need to get some games that I really wanted to play at the time but didn't have the cash.

Really need to use it more, just no time these days.

I was debating putting Rollcage 2 on but realised I have all that stuff, playable via RGB on my TV, with the right controller, anything I'm playing via PS emulation via the Pi2 is arcade, so I've got a bunch of Shmups running on it just fine.
    I'll graze my collection and see what else might suit the cab.

I was debating putting Rollcage 2 on but realised I have all that stuff, playable via RGB on my TV, with the right controller, anything I'm playing via PS emulation via the Pi2 is arcade, so I've got a bunch of Shmups running on it just fine.
    I'll graze my collection and see what else might suit the cab.

I've got PS1 emulation running on my Hyperspin machine inside the candy. Most games don't suit the controls, but there are a few gems in there that are just awesome with the arcade sticks and screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Rollcage 2

Ohh, that and the prequel must be obtained! Never played them back in the day. :D

Ohh, that and the prequel must be obtained! Never played them back in the day. :D

They are fantastic, real Wipeout beaters.
    Unfortunately the visuals get a little muddied, thanks to the effects popping off all over the screen and the relatively low resolution, running through an emu probably make it look better.

I see the Raspberry Pi 3 has leaked online. Built in wifi and Bluetooth it seems. Not sure what else just yet.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/26/raspberry_pi_3/

I spent f'ing hours sorting through NES/Famicom "files" yesterday, trying to filter out ever PD and Demo from the pile, not to mention clones.
    On reflection I should be more selective in the stuff I download in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I spent f'ing hours sorting through NES/Famicom "files" yesterday, trying to filter out ever PD and Demo from the pile, not to mention clones.
    On reflection I should be more selective in the stuff I download in the first place.

I took the other approach - rather than grabbing everything & spending time removing the ones I didn't want, I compiled a list of what I did want & grabbed them individually. Neither way is quick & easy, but when you end up with hundreds upon hundreds of titles, flash cart syndrome kicks in. So for me, a minimalist approach just works better.

I use the Ultimate Everdrive packs(and not just for playing on the Everdrive) that were around for a while(seem to be deleted now).
    You get literally everything, but its all sorted so you can just delete what you don't want, or keep the whole lot.

Everdrive N8
    rriMAYW.jpg

• Advertisement

My EX2 stick works great with everything except Mame, and my wireless PS3 stick can't be paired as it has no USB to initialise it all.
    Kerbdog is working on the adaptor for me at present, so I'll muddle along with the array of stuff I can play on it for the time being.

It automatically recognises the controller as an EX2 360 stick and configures itself perfectly, but in Mame it refuses to see the digitial stick, no analogue here, and won't see the stick command even in the config, when setting the controls via the tab keyed menu.
    I went out of Mame and everything works perfectly in the other emulators.
    I'll try enabling Xboxdrv and see what happens.

I do a similar thing for my super everdrive games, filter through folders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    We can discuss the benefits of creating an I-PAC type adapter to JAMMA edge board instead of directly wiring to buttons in a pre-wired and working cab that you prob don't wanna hack apart.

My (bad) work here...is done. Should work well with the RaspberryPi. The only way I could test it was connect it to a Windows machine and tap a ground across the wired tabs. Doesn't look the prettiest but will do the job I hope. Should withstand some abuse which I was worried that it wouldn't if I just wired it up without connecting the two boards together somehow.
    The ChinaMan adapter comes up as two control pads with many many buttons
    I've used 'hotsnot' from a gluegun to secure the connectors on the ChinaMan adapter. I can wire up more buttons if needed. An example would be the cabs 'service' button to a button on the USB controller, so you could use that to bring up a config menu or something?

378892.jpg
    378893.jpg

Woohoo!
    Guess what I'll be doing tonight!
    And it won't involve tissues and lotion!
    RP2 cab bliss incoming!

You know something isn't going to work... Never that easy, but sure where there's hope...

The China sold adapter comes in several guises but they vary between saying it's a keyboard encoder to its not a keyboard encoder.
    Afaik it's basically the innards of a PC controller with the actual buttons up to you to connect.
    At least I hope that's how it'll work.

Haven't been following this thread at all.
    Can you get 15k out of the pi?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Took the next steps for turning my iCade into a RetroPie bartop... ordered a replacement screen for an iPad 2 and a controller board to interface it with the pi!
    Once I've that all set up and running, replacing the buttons/stick can come next.

It's nearly worth picking an iCade up just for that purpose, get a little monitor for the display, off you go....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Haven't been following this thread at all.
    Can you get 15k out of the pi?

Via a HDMI->VGA adapter + a VGA->15k adapter. (how to linky)

Cider has a tri-sync monitor so it just has a VGA input so he only needed a HDMI->VGA adapter

• Advertisement

Fancy lad with his tri-sync !!

Advertisement