Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rasberry pi 2, what do you do with yours?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I ended up learning to use Putty and Filezilla, going in and deleting the existing emulationstation cfg and rebooted, then it recognised the controller and all was well, I then configured it with Mame and we were laughing.
    Right up the point I tried to use another emulator, where it failed to see the controller once again!
    I'm going to alter a little something, so it can see the XinMo interface as a pair of controllers, at the moment it only sees one with 2 player everything on it, and that may iron out some wrinkles.
    I shall report back with more news as it happens!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Now I'm getting simply Xin Mo not configured, and the games aren't responding to the cab controls at all.
    More research needed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Now I'm getting simply Xin Mo not configured, and the games aren't responding to the cab controls at all.
    More research needed...

Just buy yourself a proper Jpac & save yourself the hassle dude...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Take a backup of your SD card once you get it running. Raspberry Pi SD cards have a habit of getting corrupt just as you get everything nicely configured :)

I see I have to configure Retroarch, the device doesn't auto configure as the other controllers did.
    I'll have another crack at it another day.
    Still learning a lot...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I see I have to configure Retroarch, the device doesn't auto configure as the other controllers did.
    I'll have another crack at it another day.
    Still learning a lot...
    New scripts to switch easily from gamepads to xinmo, or from xin-mo to gamepads (ConfigToXinmo.sh and ConfigToGamepads.sh).

Looks like you can use a script to configure the Xin-Mo in Raspicade. I might test as it will give me something to do with my Pi3 :)

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Looks like you can use a script to configure the Xin-Mo in Raspicade. I might test as it will give me something to do with my Pi3 :)

You're welcome to come down here and try!

I mean, seriously, you're welcome to come and take away my pain!

Just started with my shiny new Pi , haven't had a chance to do much with it. Basic install of Retropie done to test it, and encountered an immediate issue (version 3.6 stable) when mapping the controller buttons during set up I get to left bottom and press Left Trigger on my 360 pad but then it skips left top and moves to right bottom. I can continue to map all the rest of the buttons just fine. Any ideas??? can I manually edit a config file with the correct values maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Just started with my shiny new Pi , haven't had a chance to do much with it. Basic install of Retropie done to test it, and encountered an immediate issue (version 3.6 stable) when mapping the controller buttons during set up I get to left bottom and press Left Trigger on my 360 pad but then it skips left top and moves to right bottom. I can continue to map all the rest of the buttons just fine. Any ideas??? can I manually edit a config file with the correct values maybe?

If you press strat it gives you a menu to retry. Then if it happens again, after the last button you can use up and down to go back through any you skipped...

ShooterSF wrote: »
    If you press strat it gives you a menu to retry. Then if it happens again, after the last button you can use up and down to go back through any you skipped...

Cheers Shooter I'll give that a try in the morning.

• Advertisement

I was inspired to try this myself when I saw a post of someone turning their dreamcast arcade stick into a portable retropie using a fully reversible method (it would be a crime to destroy it's abilty to work with the console) here.

Heres mine (WIP):
    9dkJN1Hl.jpg

Link to full size

You can see the original control board and cable to plug into the dreamcast.

I have retropie 3.6 running on it smoothly with a modified version of the "retrogame" program used to get input from the buttons and stick over GPIO. Basically, the start button acts as a Fn key giving me a Tab, Esc, Enter, Coin, 1 & (technically) 2 player start buttons. So no extra buttons needed.

I'm thinking either a powered hub for wired controllers for console games or sneaking a wireless 360 dongle inside it. I also have a pair of Logitech speakers (in photo) I'm thinking of trying to "sugru" onto the unit...

Any suggestions for how to fit a display without doing any permanent changes to the unit (I'm determined to keep it reversible for fear of vengeance from the retro gods) would be welcome. And I might do a more detailed blog style write-up when I'm done customising etc. (so never ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Got my iPad screen today, just waiting on the display controller board, and then I'm almost there with having a fully operational mini bartop!

Will take care of changing the stick and buttons after that!

Star Lord wrote: »
    Got my iPad screen today, just waiting on the display controller board, and then I'm almost there with having a fully operational mini bartop!

Will take care of changing the stick and buttons after that!

Hmmm. I have a first gen Ipad doing nothing. :D How much for the controller boards? Or where do you buy??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

On a side note i installed OSMC on my RPi B+.
    The windows installer is briliant.
    https://osmc.tv/download/

OSMC-300x225.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Hmmm. I have a first gen Ipad doing nothing. :D How much for the controller boards? Or where do you buy??

I got this one off ebay. Seen to be around 20-35 depending on the seller, though the boards all look identical!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

I see there's fully loaded SD cards on adverts that include everything to boot RetroPie which I think I buy to save the time on setting up and failing! Lol.

Can anyone recommended where I can get a Pi? Probably the second one is still great for arcade gaming? As it'll only be used for that. I say that as I see 3 is out but assume 2 will run perfect. Any recommendations as to where to buy one? And a case and keyboard + mouse, think that's all I need correct? Already have a HDMI.

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    I see there's fully loaded SD cards on adverts that include everything to boot RetroPie which I think I buy to save the time on setting up and failing! Lol.

Can anyone recommended where I can get a Pi? Probably the second one is still great for arcade gaming? As it'll only be used for that. I say that as I see 3 is out but assume 2 will run perfect. Any recommendations as to where to buy one? And a case and keyboard + mouse, think that's all I need correct? Already have a HDMI.

You are better paying the extra few quid for version 3 in my opinion.
    http://ie.rs-online.com/web/generalDisplay.html?id=raspberrypi

Raspberry Pi 3 is the same price as the old Pi2.

my Pi3 finally shipped today.
    A week after ordering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I stuck a PI2 into an old portable TV - decided to cut the middle man and skip the fancy case :)

Pretty much a hack job though, hole in the front for a USB controller and its internally hardwired to the composite input of the TV. Ah does the job and screen is small enough that it looks ok with composite, sound out the PI is very low though - really needs a preamp.

Using the PortablePI SteveXI posted, just put it on a diet to fit on an 8GB card.

• Advertisement

I stuck a PI2 into an old portable TV - decided to cut the middle man and skip the fancy case :)

Pretty much a hack job though, hole in the front for a USB controller and its internally hardwired to the composite input of the TV. Ah does the job and screen is small enough that it looks ok with composite, sound out the PI is very low though - really needs a preamp.

Using the PortablePI SteveXI posted, just put it on a diet to fit on an 8GB card.

Is it still receiving power from an external source, or were you able to power it via the tv somehow?

Myrddin wrote: »
    Is it still receiving power from an external source, or were you able to power it via the tv somehow?

Getting the power internally, poked around until I found a 5V source. Only downside is that cus its hardwired for composite the external RGB Scart is disabled. Must fit a switch for that...

Does anyone in the service marketplace set up raspberry pi's with retropie and roms etc? I thought there's was an adverts seller that did it but not to be.

Steve shared a build for one and there are some out there but, not with ROMs.
    That stuff is each user's own business and its not appropriate to seek them here.
    A quick Google should service you with what you might need.
    The other thing is that by the time a person is finished setting them up the Retropie running the way you want it could be very different from the one another person might need.
    Lastly, there's a lot of good learning when putting these things together for yourself. It's worth persisting with it and you'll be an expert in no time!

Retropie sounds like the Hyperspin of the Pi world :o

Myrddin wrote: »
    Retropie sounds like the Hyperspin of the Pi world :o

I really like it though.
    I've learned a lot in a short space of time, you get to learn basics of cfg files, logging in via terminals, root file access from your PC, tons.
    And it's very rewarding.

So... Yeah, exactly like Hyperspin :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I really like it though.
    I've learned a lot in a short space of time, you get to learn basics of cfg files, logging in via terminals, root file access from your PC, tons.
    And it's very rewarding.

So... Yeah, exactly like Hyperspin :p

Very true, a great motivator for people to learn a bit of basic Linux.

I just need to fecking start using mine, adulting keeps getting in the way. :D

Very true, a great motivator for people to learn a bit of basic Linux.

I just need to fecking start using mine, adulting keeps getting in the way. :D

I just get That Look from She who must be Obeyed when I attempt to nip off for a sneaky slice of Pi...

A quick tip for anyone using Mame4all with retropie (I assume AdvanceMame will be similar but I'm not using it yet) if you create a folder, I put one in the roms folder called InvisibleMame, and put any parent roms you don't want to see or even your neogeo bios zip in it and edit /opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all/mame.cfg and add the following to the line rompath= ";/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/InvisibleMame" Mame4All will now run any roms you have in the main rom folder that rely on the parents/neogeo bios but EmulationStation won't list anything in the Invisible folder so your frontend can stay nice and tidy.

• Advertisement

Going to finally order my first Pi!
    Question, for a case it says for Pi 2 will this do for a Pi 3? I really like the clear look.
    http://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/development-board-enclosures/8293459/?origin=null|fp&cm_sp=featureproducts-_-FeaturedProductsContent-_-8293459

Also do I need a heatsink?

I'm slowly learning! Lol

Going to finally order my first Pi!
    Question, for a case it says for Pi 2 will this do for a Pi 3? I really like the clear look.
    http://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/development-board-enclosures/8293459/?origin=null|fp&cm_sp=featureproducts-_-FeaturedProductsContent-_-8293459

Also do I need a heatsink?

I'm slowly learning! Lol

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/raspberry-pi-3

I usually grab a lot of my Pi stuff from pimoroni. As for heats sinks, normally no but if you're going to overclock the pi3 it might actually be a good idea on this new model.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/raspberry-pi-3

I usually grab a lot of my Pi stuff from pimoroni. As for heats sinks, normally no but if you're going to overclock the pi3 it might actually be a good idea on this new model.

I only plan to use the pi for retro gaming. Is pimoroni the cheapest place?

I only plan to use the pi for retro gaming. Is pimoroni the cheapest place?

They offer the Pi3 on its own for £32 inc VAT, which is 41.06 euro right now. RS have it for €43.85 inc VAT.
    Not much of a saving, and then you have to pay shipping from the UK(or use Parcel Motel). But they offer lots of extras and kits that might be worth it.

I'm VAT registered in Ireland, so there's a very decent saving for me to buy from the UK.
    So £32 sterling is actually 31.62 euro for me.

They offer the Pi3 on its own for £32 inc VAT, which is 41.06 euro right now. RS have it for €43.85 inc VAT.
    Not much of a saving, and then you have to pay shipping from the UK(or use Parcel Motel). But they offer lots of extras and kits that might be worth it.

I'm VAT registered in Ireland, so there's a very decent saving for me to buy from the UK.
    So £32 sterling is actually 31.62 euro for me.

That's class.

That's the worse thing about buying from the UK, it's the conversion rate. I don't have any of the pi accessories, I'll have to invest in their £72 full kit I'd say. Works out at about €92. Damn coversion rates!! Lol

That's class.

That's the worse thing about buying from the UK, it's the conversion rate. I don't have any of the pi accessories, I'll have to invest in their £72 full kit I'd say. Works out at about €92. Damn coversion rates!! Lol

You might have an old keyboard and mouse laying around, no? Might save you a few quid. Pimoroni cases are quite nice, so you wont regret getting one of those.

• Advertisement

I seem to have gotten the CP making sweet consistent lovin to the Pi at last, with some swapping and crimping of wires in and out of the adaptor.

I have everything working mostly well, only the PSP emulation seems amiss, with Darius Burst working a treat but Ultimate GnG unplayable at the moment and slow down mucking with the likes of Lumines and Loco Roco, any ideas how to improve performance there? Would overclocking make any difference?

I seem to have gotten the CP making sweet consistent lovin to the Pi at last, with some swapping and crimping of wires in and out of the adaptor.

I have everything working mostly well, only the PSP emulation seems amiss, with Darius Burst working a treat but Ultimate GnG unplayable at the moment and slow down mucking with the likes of Lumines and Loco Roco, any ideas how to improve performance there? Would overclocking make any difference?

Worth a shot for overclocking , you can always change back after a quick test.

You might have an old keyboard and mouse laying around, no? Might save you a few quid. Pimoroni cases are quite nice, so you wont regret getting one of those.

No, surprisingly. Their cases are very, very nice. That rainbow one is cool. Best invest in the full kit. The keyboard will be very handy. The old tv though doesn't have HDMI, will have ti get an HDMI to AV adaptor, I believe that's what I need to connect it anyway.

You could always pick up a cheap Bluetooth dongle and use the keyboard from the Pokemon Typing game, it's a lovely little thing, nice and compact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Good stuff would save loads of grief, would be interesting to see if it worked

• Advertisement

Okey Dokey

So, what's the best of Retropie I can expect on the RP0?
    My new stick will register as a keyboard so shouldn't be a problem getting it to work.
    Going to set up the PI and hotglue it inside the stick housing.

So this is amazing:

Edit: linked earlier today on general thread also.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jimjim23

hey, my raspberry pi 3 is on the way and im thinking of building a cabinet with it.
    elsewhere on boards, it was mentioned i'd be better buying one from somewhere like adverts etc.
    i just wondered if anyone else had thoughts.
    my da is a carpenter with some decent machines, so i think im ok on that regard, everything else, i am a total noob..
    but thats part of the adventure no?

thanks in advance!

jimjim23 wrote: »
    hey, my raspberry pi 3 is on the way and im thinking of building a cabinet with it.
    elsewhere on boards, it was mentioned i'd be better buying one from somewhere like adverts etc.
    i just wondered if anyone else had thoughts.
    my da is a carpenter with some decent machines, so i think im ok on that regard, everything else, i am a total noob..
    but thats part of the adventure no?

thanks in advance!

The great thing about a proper cab from Adverts is that it'll be built, with controls and a crt, all you have to do is get it to work with the RP, perfectly doable and well worth working through, fixing kinks and issues and learning all the way.
    Building one from scratch is great but it will take work to make it look and feel like the genuine article, in fact you might end up spending more than the €250 a old style cab will cost you, and certainly take up a lot of your time.

I dunno, if your dad is a carpenter, you coild easily get a template and bang it together securly.

It IS half the adventure, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 14 fisherman55555

Hey I just bought my raspberry pi looks amazing. I've an arcade cabinet I want to connect it to the cabinet and use it as an arcade machine. But there seems to be a lot of wiring up to be done. Is there anyone around that I could get to sort out my problem. I've checked some videos and my head would explode if I tried

Hey I just bought my raspberry pi looks amazing. I've an arcade cabinet I want to connect it to the cabinet and use it as an arcade machine. But there seems to be a lot of wiring up to be done. Is there anyone around that I could get to sort out my problem. I've checked some videos and my head would explode if I tried

mod edit
    Just moved this to the A&R Raspberry Pi thread.
    You should find plenty of people here who have faced what you're facing, help is at hand!!

Questions for the RetroPi experts.

Where are the Emulation-Station config files kept?
    How are the emulators started ? Is there a config file I can tweak to startup a different emulator or run a script instead of the default retroarch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jimjim23

thanks for the advice, i'll jeep you posted!

https://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-80946/l/pik3a-the-raspberry-pi-3-ikea-retro-gaming-table

A neat looking Pi Ikea build I saw this morning, using the "lack" side table. What does everyone think? I'm considering building one, won't break the bank and may be a good starter build??

• Advertisement
Advertisement