Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipp Town Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭flutered

some one mentioned a publican buying cans in a supermarket and reselling them, if any one spends a couple of hours daily in a supermarket car park they will see the numbe of publicans who come out loaded wit beer and spirits is unreal, picking on one guy is totally unfair, it would be hard to find a publican who is not going down that road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Einstein A. Gogo

flutered wrote:
    some one mentioned a publican buying cans in a supermarket and reselling them, if any one spends a couple of hours daily in a supermarket car park they will see the numbe of publicans who come out loaded wit beer and spirits is unreal, picking on one guy is totally unfair, it would be hard to find a publican who is not going down that road

Given that spirits are often cheaper in the supermarket than from a wholesaler it'd make sense for publicans to buy where it's cheaper. Nothing wrong or illegal with that. Good luck to them. People need to understand that the price of a drink in a pub includes the use of the premises, facilities etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

??? ...Ok

I didn't even know the bar was closed, I was aware the night club had gone about a year ago, probably something to do with the fact the bouncers liked beating the crap out of anyone in there, men or women... absolute scum bags.

I was going there for years (twice a month for 2 years (2010-11) & probably 7/8 times a year afterwards)and never saw much trouble that wasn't caused by someone acting the absolute idiot beforehand.

The staff were all grand in there, not the best but not the scumbags beating innocents that you describe above. it's a pity they don't have a job anymore.

How can anyone expect the town to improve its name when people are sprouting lies like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,494 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I was going there for years (twice a month for 2 years (2010-11) & probably 7/8 times a year afterwards)and never saw much trouble that wasn't caused by someone acting the absolute idiot beforehand.

The staff were all grand in there, not the best but not the scumbags beating innocents that you describe above. it's a pity they don't have a job anymore.

How can anyone expect the town to improve its name when people are sprouting lies like this?

Oh right you can call me a liar because I haven't had a chance to even back up my claims. Just because your personal experience from being there a few times is a good one it doesn't mean it's good for everyone. Sure, I've never had any bother there at all but I know two people who had the crap beaten out of them in a place with no cameras, one of which needed hospitalisation afterwards or my (female) cousin who was ejected so hard and fast she completely bypassed the footpath and cracked her skull off the road. But shur it didn't happen you so they're grand bouncers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Paddico

Samsgirl wrote: »
    The rates in the town are a huge issue as to why most of the smaller shops have closed. Parking is another issue as is the appalling permanent traffic jam. Building the likes of Tesco and Dunnes on the edge of the town has also added to the exodus.

High unemployment rate.
    No factory in the town.
    Piss poor facilities of any kind.

It's not a case of people "not bothering" to shop in the town, it's any number of those factors.

It was the local business who objected to Tesco / Dunnes going into the town centre for years.
    So they set up just outside. Now the same businesses are giving out because footfall in the town has decreased.

The whole place really needs to be modernised. The mart on a Friday in the town centre keeps people away from the place.
    The crazy Wednesday afternoon closing for local business has to stop.
    I remember the objections well. Back around the mid 80's and even remember who some of the objecting businesses were. It would have transformed then town if they had opened at the excel site as proposed.

You still have people coming into the centre today as there's still a few nice business in there but with Dunnes and Tesco on the edge of town, they really have taken from the footfall in the town centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Is Empire of Fun closed?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

Is Empire of Fun closed?

Yes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Is there a snooker club in Tipp town?

Strange that my and another posters, post about the state of the road on the main street has been deleted???

• Advertisement

Is there a snooker club in Tipp town?
    I believe there is Ultimate as I saw some pictures on the Nationalist. There used to be one on James St, not sure if its still there though

Paddico wrote:
    I believe there is Ultimate as I saw some pictures on the Nationalist. There used to be one on James St, not sure if its still there though

Could you tell me where James street Is? Rough directions or a shop that's on the street? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Chevy RV

Its overhead the Tourist Office i think. That is next to the opticians on the corner if i remember correctly. Call them up at the tourist office to get the exact details.

Regards,

Chevy RV

I'm hearing two very long established businesses in the Main St are closing or have closed down.

Don’t want to mention any names but just wondering if anyone else heard the same thing?

Paddico wrote: »
    I'm hearing two very long established businesses in the Main St are closing or have closed down.

Don’t want to mention any names but just wondering if anyone else heard the same thing?
    Kingstons Shoes have closed.

• Advertisement

as have keanes jewellers

flutered wrote: »
    as have keanes jewellers
    There's a jewellery shop gone up near Shamrogs.
    Is that Keane relocated?

Is that Keane relocated?
    no, the girl who worked in keanes has opened up there

flutered wrote: »
    Is that Keane relocated?
    no, the girl who worked in keanes has opened up there
    Fair play to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Anyone from Tipp town know if all the recent roadworks in the town are a precursor to resurfacing? Please say this is the case!!

• Advertisement

Harcrid wrote: »
    Anyone from Tipp town know if all the recent roadworks in the town are a precursor to resurfacing?  Please say this is the case!!
    I believe so. Just getting the water piping sosrted first

I hear Kiely’s Bar is sold to a member of the travelling community. Just wondering if any else has heard the same?

I hear Kiely’s Bar is sold to a member of the travelling community. Just wondering if any else has heard the same?

I've heard it from a few different people. I've also heard the particular name of the chap...and honestly...it's a total disaster if true.

Seems the ring road around Tipperary is back on the cards.

I was told the option of taking it east at Topaz/Supermacs is whats now been considered
    http://tippfm.com/news/tipp-town-bypass-back-cards/

When are the roadworks near Tesco due completion? Seem to have not much done in 2 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭trixiebust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭yurtyaherne

trixiebust wrote: »

Is there anything left in the town now besides pubs <Mod Snip>

Is there anything left in the town now besides pubs

Bookies, pharmacies and potholes.

<Mod Snip>

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Come on folks, please keep it someway positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Lads. Looking for a restaurant in Tipp town this evening but everything appears to be closed? Any tips/recommendations? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Lads. Looking for a restaurant in Tipp town this evening but everything appears to be closed? Any tips/recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Would recommend going to Ballykisteen Hotel/Golf Club

Nothing south unless you go as far as Cahir; but restaurants there are scarce too (Lava Rock is there but poor imo).

Baileys in Cashel is very nice

callaway92 wrote: »
    Would recommend going to Ballykisteen Hotel/Golf Club

Nothing south unless you go as far as Cahir; but restaurants there are scarce too (Lava Rock is there but poor imo).

Baileys in Cashel is very nice

Neither of which are in Tipp town

Did you find something SD?
    I would have recommended either Brazils or Prime 57. Both very very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Thanks, yes, came back to Clonmel :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Always find it bizarre how this kind of thing gets the go ahead while the urban area is decaying.
    It’s replicated all over the country, but surely given environmental concerns it’d make more sense to convert the unused commercial premises to residential instead of digging up green fields.

There's activity around Pall this week.
    Anyone know what's happening?

The Pall factory?
    Has that been rented by Larry Goodman for the last no of years?
    Was sold in 2012 as far as I know

• Advertisement

The factory Pall?
    Has that been rented by Larry Goodman for the last no of years?

I've no idea but there's a crane there this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I've heard ABP are turning it into proper warehousing (Brexit etc.) but you know yourself, anything could happen, other than what you hear is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Unfortunately had to pass through this place yesterday, absolute mayhem. What's with that "roundabout" near the co op ? Rosdworks seem to be on going in tipp the last 10 years yet still some of the worst roads I've seen.

No idea what the story is with roadworks and the work is taking ages. Church St/Limerick rd is finished and a nice surface but thought they could have made a nicer job other than the plane white concrete coloured footpaths. Maybe allow square cut outs for trees as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

No idea what the story is with roadworks and the work is taking ages. Church St/Limerick rd is finished and a nice surface but thought they could have made a nicer job other than the plane white concrete coloured footpaths. Maybe allow square cut outs for trees as well.

I assume the issue with trees etc is thetrucks would end up caught for space,

the second section is being done soon but half the town is opposed to it so :confused:

I assume the issue with trees etc is thetrucks would end up caught for space,

the second section is being done soon but half the town is opposed to it so :confused:

Absolute rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

digzy wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish

whats rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

I would imagine the people living in those houses would object to trees blocking any natural light those houses might get.

Tipperary Town featured on RTEs' Eco Eye yesterday if anyone would like to catch up.

Locals and business people spoke very well at what problems need addressing.
    Also a comparison was done with Clonakilty, a thriving town. Its good to see a Tipperary Town trying to aspire to eventually been something great for the locality again.

Tipperary Town featured on RTEs' Eco Eye yesterday if anyone would like to catch up.

Locals and business people spoke very well at what problems need addressing.
    Also a comparison was done with Clonakilty, a thriving town. Its good to see a Tipperary Town trying to aspire to eventually been something great for the locality again.

Until there’s some form of a bypass that can remove traffic from between the bansha road and dunnes stores roundabout, I can’t see how the town can improve.
    Clinakilty looked great but they don’t have a national route going through the heart of it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement