Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Tipp Town Thread

Options
  • 03-11-2016 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

New restaurant in Tipp town.
    Lovely food there last Saturday night
    400701.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Wishing the best of luck to the new restaurant, it would be great to have a good restaurant in the area !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Paddico wrote:
    New restaurant in Tipp town. Lovely food there last Saturday night

What's it called & where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Bit expensive for me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

tipptom wrote: »
    Bit expensive for me

Nice name

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

Its beautiful.
    The Manager is called Claire, and is such a wonderful and professional person. I do hope that Tipp Town residents gives it the support is really deserves,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Was that not a pub years ago? The front looks very familiar?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

401201.jpg
    was a pub back in the 70's as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

A minimum of 37000 euro to half pedestrianize 25 meters of Kickham Place and make it one way.
    Now there’s calls to reverse this

http://www.nationalist.ie/news/home/232148/retailers-call-for-reversal-of-tipp-town-plaza.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

Paddico wrote: »
    A minimum of 37000 euro to half pedestrianize 25 meters of Kickham Place and make it one way.

http://www.nationalist.ie/news/home/232148/retailers-call-for-reversal-of-tipp-town-plaza.html

Mattie McGrath stated last week he learned the project has run to over €300,000!!!

Paddico wrote: »

Mattie McGrath stated last week he learned the project has run to over €300,000!!!
    Disgraceful if true. 100 projects that could be done in Tipp ahead of this one

Tipperary Town in the sunshine
    412929.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

Is that the White Elephant Excel Centre that many people in Tipp Town are calling for the council to bail out (again)?
    How's it going now?

Its the Excel Centre alright but its actually a gem in the town like Tipperary. Lovely Cafe, meeting spot, cinema/theatre, gift shop and now the town Library is going in there.
    Never heard the white elephant bit or request to bail it out.

Where did you hear it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

That place has been lurching from crisis to crisis for years. Court cases over a decade ago with one of the builders who wanted to appoint an examiner to the company.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/troubled-heritage-centre-agrees-terms-with-builder-1.368123

The cinema technology became obsolete and that was to close a few years ago.

As usual with these things, the state had to ride to the rescue in the form of Tipp Co. Council to take a hand in running it.

And then we had the outcry when it was to be closed for 6 months this year to facilitate the building of the Library in there. 1,200 people signed a petition, apparently. Pity they all wouldn't go in there and buy a cup of coffee and a cinema ticket.

It's a fantastic facility but I don' think our local authority should be in the business of propping up coffee shops and cinemas. There are private companies who will do it (if it's viable)

Tipp Co. Council could start with the disgraceful street surfaces of Tipp Town before it goes moving libraries into someone else's ill-conceived vanity project from nearly 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Expunge wrote: »
    That place has been lurching from crisis to crisis for years. Court cases over a decade ago with one of the builders who wanted to appoint an examiner to the company.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/troubled-heritage-centre-agrees-terms-with-builder-1.368123

As usual with these things, the state had to ride to the rescue in the form of Tipp Co. Council to take a hand in running it.

And then we had the outcry when it was to be closed for 6 months this year to facilitate the building of the Library in there. 1,200 people signed a petition, apparently. Pity they all wouldn't go in there and buy a cup of coffee and a cinema ticket.

It's a fantastic facility but I don' think our local authority should be in the business of propping up coffee shops and cinemas. There are private companies who will do it (if it's viable)

Tipp Co. Council could start with the disgraceful street surfaces of Tipp Town before it goes moving libraries into someone else's ill-conceived vanity project from nearly 20 years ago.

Excellent post. Agree with all of that.
    It's al lot easier be a keyboard warrior moaning about the place instead of actually patronising the excel as you mentioned.

Tipperary is an excellent town in terms of facilities. Two things killing it are lack of employment and the n24 running right through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Expunge wrote: »

The cafe is great, I go there quite often for wraps/coffee/scones.

The cinema is it's own worst enemy though, I've had nothing but negative experiences with the place. High concentration of noisy scummy people every time I've been there, the screens are small, the sound is rattly, the place can be freezing, the popcorn/coke combo large size is the same size as the small in every other cinema...I mean its popcorn, it costs literally a few cents.

I've been in the main cinema (1) for various functions/meetings etc and that's great too, It's a pity the cinema side just appears to be run shoddily. I'd like to support it but with the negative experiences I've had there it's easier go to Limerick.

The cafe is great, I go there quite often for wraps/coffee/scones.

The cinema is it's own worst enemy though, I've had nothing but negative experiences with the place. High concentration of noisy scummy people every time I've been there, the screens are small, the sound is rattly, the place can be freezing, the popcorn/coke combo large size is the same size as the small in every other cinema...I mean its popcorn, it costs literally a few cents.

I've been in the main cinema (1) for various functions/meetings etc and that's great too, It's a pity the cinema side just appears to be run shoddily. I'd like to support it but with the negative experiences I've had there it's easier go to Limerick.

Tbf people are entitled to go wherever they want.
    As the poster said, maybe some of those 1200 who 'signed the petition' on social media with their faux outrage ought have physically supported the place....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

tipp town is slowly dying, fone and charity shops abound, many members and ex members of the town council need stripping of their fancy pensions for their past and continued neglect of the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Couldn't agree more about the road surface. Pass through town every day and I can't believe the whole town has not been resurfaced yet. It's awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

Supposedly there is an allocation of funds to resurface the road through Tipp Town from the Dunnes Stores roundabout to the graveyard on the Cashel road.

Irish Water are holding it up as they have to replace some lead piping in the town. Work is due to start in June and last up to 6 months so it'll be early next year before anything done.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Einstein A. Gogo

What's happened to the pubs in Tipperary? Was there on Monday and many were closed. Even a big one, kielys.

What's happened to the pubs in Tipperary? Was there on Monday and many were closed. Even a big one, kielys.
    the recession, how many buisneses closed to be replaced by fone and charity shops, lack of spending money, the price of drink, a bottle of sspirits is 20-25 lids, two or three can have a might night at home in front of thir tv, what would the same money purchase for twwo or three in a pub, the having to watch whatever a bored barperson was watching, which perhaps the punter would never watch at home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Investment is badly needed to bring people into the town.
    I have to go Limerick / Waterford to buy clothes for my kids. Dunnes is okay but sometimes they don't have a good range.

Penny's would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Einstein A. Gogo

Why would anyone invest in the town if the locals won't shop locally? Why have all the shops closed? Because everyone is going to Clonmel or Limerick to shop!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Why would anyone invest in the town if the locals won't shop locally? Why have all the shops closed? Because everyone is going to Clonmel or Limerick to shop!!!

The rates in the town are a huge issue as to why most of the smaller shops have closed. Parking is another issue as is the appalling permanent traffic jam. Building the likes of Tesco and Dunnes on the edge of the town has also added to the exodus.

High unemployment rate.
    No factory in the town.
    Piss poor facilities of any kind.

It's not a case of people "not bothering" to shop in the town, it's any number of those factors.

i failed to buy a voda sim card there last week

flutered wrote: »
    i failed to buy a voda sim card there last week

Jesus, you're just bursting with positivity aren't ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Vicious circle. Local leave to shop as there aren't any good shops there. Old fashioned boutiques aren't suitable for kids clothes or even young people in general.

If the shops were there, locals would support them.

Advertisement