Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-08-2020, 13:26   #1
JasonStatham

What's your worst interview experience/ meltdown?

No meltdowns for me, but I interviewed for a tech role once (was totally unsuitable for it). The guy kept grilling me, on a specific technology i had worked with, to the point of absurdity. A damm tough interview. Haha.

So what's your worst interview, or do you know anyone who had a meltdown during one?
Advertisement
27-08-2020, 13:37   #2
Berties_Horse

Getting an early bus to an interview after a hard night on the sauce. By the time I reached my destination the cold sweats had set in. I sat down at the table with a three person panel. Perspiring and shaking, I realised the hopelessness of the situation: "Listen, I won't waste your time..." and exited stage left. One is only 19 once, adulthood was just around the corner.
27-08-2020, 13:42   #3
markfinn

Oh Gods...
Software developer (supposedly a pretty basic database dev role) for Honeywell, about 10 years ago, a 4 on one phone interview.

I'd taken an 8 year career break to travel and had been earning my daily crust teaching English. Prior to that I'd been a pretty solid Java and SQL dev, but obviously 8 years out of practise and completely out of touch with all the new frameworks.

I'd been absolutely clear on my CV, and with both the recruiter and HR about this. That my Java basics were rock-solid but I knew absolutely nothing of Spring, Hibernate etc.

20 minutes into the phone call, 3 of which had been conversational niceties and the rest a list of intensely detailed and complex Hibernate questions and ever more scathing comments (which they continued after I'd pointed out that I had no knowledge of Hibernate) I just hung up and shut down skype. I then went back to teaching for another two years before talking to any other Irish based jobs.

It was the 2nd time in my life that I'd ever had an interview and not been offered the job (the other being for Google, but I'd known what I was putting myself in for that time). There's been a few more since, mind you. But never anything like the sheer vicious meanness of that one.
27-08-2020, 13:49   #4
IAMAMORON

I told the Secretary General of P+T that I liked to use my initiative and that I had a proactive attitude to problem solving.

Spoiler: True Story
27-08-2020, 15:45   #5
Gregor Samsa

Had an interview for a graphic designer job in a multimedia company many years ago. It was my very first interview. I had just graduated with a degree in Fine Art, but had no industry experience. 2 days before the interview I had eaten a battered sausage that someone threw at me on the street outside Fibbers. It fell into a puddle, and I picked it up and ate it in defiance. Bad move, I was shíteing out my mouth and puking out my arse all weekend.

Anyway, I had this interview at 10 am on Monday morning, I hadn't eaten in two days, was pale as a ghost and pumping sweat from the illness, but the worst had passed on the gastro front, so I decided to go ahead. I had long, crusty dreadlocks at the time, and I think I had to borrow a suit that was too big for me, so even on a good day I would have looked an absolute state.

I had a portfolio lashed together of various art and design stuff I'd done. One thing I'd been doing in college was that I'd started my own country in my living room - so a lot of the stuff in my portfolio was to do with that (flags, posters, manifestos, etc). The two women interviewing me asked me to explain what it was all about, and I did, in probably too much detail. We ended up in an argument, with the final question being "How the hell do you expect to make money out of this?" My answer "I don't!" signaled the abrupt and early end of the interview. You may be surprised to hear that I did not get the job (only interview so far where I wasn't offered the job, so I think I learned something from it).

On the other side of the coin, I interviewed a guy a few years ago for a Web Developer job. In the middle of the interview, he somehow worked in to the conversation that he did Taekwondo, and stood up and started demonstrating some moves. Then he started telling us randomly about some tag rugby match he played, and again stood up and started re-enacting the game. Weird thing was, he wasn't even a Web Developer and couldn't answer any questions on the subject. That interview should have been cut short, but it was too entertaining.
Advertisement
27-08-2020, 15:50   #6
Samuel T. Cogley

Went through an entire interview and it was only asked as an after thought what my current salary was. It was about double what they were willing to offer. Include at least some indication of the salary on the fecking job advert! It was quite funny watching the reaction of the Ops Manager who was quite clearly on less than me.
27-08-2020, 15:51   #7
hayoc

Was interviewing a guy for a relatively junior support role.

He showed up chewing gum and liberally peppered his replies with bad language (not in a confrontational way, simply conversational - like "do you have any experience with X", "Oh f*ck yeah, worked on that for a year").

Part of the interview process back in the day was we would do the interview and then walk the person round the building and plant and show them the place.

During the walkabout, we passed the staff smoking room which had pool tables etc.. Another staff member stopped me to ask me something and in the time it took me to say "Im just doing a walkabout with an interviewee, Ill get back to you shortly", yer man had disappeared.

I looked in the smoking room and not only had he taken the opportunity to light up, but was in fact setting a pool table up and looking around to see if someone wanted to play.

Needless to say, we thanked him for his time and never saw him again.
27-08-2020, 15:53   #8
enricoh

Was asked a load of technical questions in an interview, most of them I was unsure it was English he was speaking!
After a few minutes of ' I don't knows' I just started laughing nervously for some reason -Interview wrapped up soon after n I went for a couple of nice pints n said sod it!
(3) thanks from:
27-08-2020, 16:44   #9
OSI

Came back from a holiday to find one of my first meetings was to interview a candidate for a position in our department. I hadn't vetted him obviously being on holiday so did a quick review of his CV an hour before he arrived and I realised I had been his manager a number of years previously at a different company where he had been a junior engineer. We had let him go after about a year because he had made a number of high profile mistakes and regularly had to be reminded how to do even the most basic tasks.
Anyway, he turned up for the interview and clearly didn't recognise me as he spent a good chunk of the time talking about how he had been the leader of that team, lead a number of high profile projects and changes in the department and basically listed off a load of achievements others in the team had done.
When we were finishing up I asked him about the referees he had listed on his CV, "You have John Doe listed here as the HR contact at X, I thought Mary was still there I was only talking to her a couple of weeks ago". That was a face I won't forget.
Advertisement
27-08-2020, 16:52   #10
ShatterAlan

I was very happy on the dole with a healthy heroin habit.
Unfortunately the DHSS put me forward for a job in the leisure industry and I had to attend the interview. This is where things get dicey. Do a good interview and you might actually GET the job...fuckin' nightmare, don't do a good interview and they say "this cunt isnae tryin'" and they cut off your gyro.

So my friend Mark gave me some speed and off to the interview I went totally zooted out of my head.

I told them "Your leisure is mah pleasure" and that I had no weaknesses but then changed that to the fact that I'm a perfectionist and it "had to be the best".

Prattled on at 100mph talking drivel for another 10 minutes. They thanked me and said they'd be in touch. I jumped up and thanked them and shook their hands and kissed the lady on the panel and skipped out.

Disastrous interview but the outcome was perfect.
27-08-2020, 16:56   #11
fatbhoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayoc View Post
Was interviewing a guy for a relatively junior support role.

He showed up chewing gum and liberally peppered his replies with bad language (not in a confrontational way, simply conversational - like "do you have any experience with X", "Oh f*ck yeah, worked on that for a year").

Part of the interview process back in the day was we would do the interview and then walk the person round the building and plant and show them the place.

During the walkabout, we passed the staff smoking room which had pool tables etc.. Another staff member stopped me to ask me something and in the time it took me to say "Im just doing a walkabout with an interviewee, Ill get back to you shortly", yer man had disappeared.

I looked in the smoking room and not only had he taken the opportunity to light up, but was in fact setting a pool table up and looking around to see if someone wanted to play.

Needless to say, we thanked him for his time and never saw him again.
Absolute legend. Why didn't you hire him?
27-08-2020, 16:58   #12
hayoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbhoy View Post
Absolute legend. Why didn't you hire him?
He actually seemed like a nice bloke to be fair.

Just a bit, unpolished.
27-08-2020, 18:36   #13
freshpopcorn

I once went for a interview that turned into a trial on a Saturday
I had to scrub skirting boards around loads of people in a busy hotel.
I got forgotten about and they eventually remembered me.
I then went home and on Monday morning I was at college I had missed calls from my college apartment complex. Apparently somebody was throwing stuff at cars on the Saturday evening and I was seeing doing it and running back to my apartment. The Gardaí were involved. I had to use the hotel as an alibi.
Needless to say I didn’t get the job.
(4) thanks from:
27-08-2020, 19:10   #14
Strumms

Airfreight company red and yellow...

I was interviewed by a manager on his own, I’m 20, he’s only about 30.

He’s about 5’1” pudgy, receding hairline but what’s left of it dyed the most ridiculous shade of peroxide blond and a bright purple and green tie with waistcoat , I nicknamed him Darby O’Nil. I spent half the interview wishing I was colorblind.

3 minutes in I’m nailing every question with ease, I’ve always been decent in interviews. Confident, articulate but this is irking him... he asks me towards the end of the interview “how did you arrive here today ?” I replied that I used public transportation which was almost door to door as I didn’t drive as yet.

He started grinning, “well Strumms, that might go against you if another candidate has a license.”

I replied “well if either yourself or your employer feel that way you should include it as a prerequisite in the job advertisement. I took a taxi here, I will take a taxi home, I did so under the impression that i met the advertised criteria therefore I spent time preparing, and getting here.”

He gets all embarrassed, ensuring I’ve done a very good interview and would be in the shakeup..

Considering the manner of how things ended I was surprised to find that the following day I received a job offer over the phone from his boss which I confidently declined... when asked why I told her.. she laughed, apologized saying “well Raymond is only a new manager and perhaps got a little over enthusiastic”. Me...”that’s ok I don’t blame him, but rather I blame the cûnt of a manager who hired him and the one also whom on being told about it just seems to think it’s funny”.
27-08-2020, 19:14   #15
Church on Tuesday

None, if an interviewer is that sad to try get a reaction I'd just calmly up and leave; it's their loss.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion