Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2020: Round 12 : Portugal Grand Prix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Red Bull need to consider Perez seriously if they aren't going to bring Gasly back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,878 ✭✭✭✭klose

Hamilton lapping everyone bar 2nd to 4th, madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Lewis has cramp, he is really up against it now for these 7 laps.

Still I Rise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭lolie

Lewis has cramp, he is really up against it now for these 7 laps.

Then goes and sets fastest lap of the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Red Bull need to consider Perez seriously if they aren't going to bring Gasly back

Don't they like to stay within their academy but I'd agree. I don't think Gasly should go back their if he was offered the seat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭This is it

Fair play to Gasly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Surprise Gasly not even in top 3 driver of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

In hindsight Mercedes did Bottas a favour keeping him off the softs, they're not working.

Not that it matters, Hamilton has a free stop on Bottas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

92 Wins :)

Congratulations Lewis :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Bottas shouldn't be getting beat by 25 seconds.

Well done Lewis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

That was some pace from Hamilton, wiped the floor with Bottas today. Never expected to see Schumacher's record broken, some achievement. Fair play to Hamilton

As much as I dislike him, you don't get to 92 wins without a huge amount of talent.

Delighted for LeClerc and Gasly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,878 ✭✭✭✭klose

Lewis telling porkys over the radio I'd say, concerned about his tyres and stays out for 20+ laps on them, claims to have cramp and keeps recording faster laps after it.

Those post win radio conversations with bono sound so soulless and they almost sound bored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

klose wrote: »
    Lewis telling porkys over the radio I'd say, concerned about his tyres and stays out for 20+ laps on them, claims to have cramp and keeps recording faster laps after it.

Those post win radio conversations with bono sound so soulless and they almost sound bored.

I'm sure it is just a button that gets pressed to trigger the "get in there Lewis"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Fair fups to Lewis. Glad that there are actually fans there to see it and give him a cheer.

I'm sure it is just a button that gets pressed to trigger the "get in there Lewis"

Sounds like a serious lack of emotion but maybe that's just how Bono is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Max and Valtteri sound pretty fed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭McFly85

It’s a phenomenal achievement by Hamilton. Brilliant driver, who can sometimes be underrated because he’s in such a dominant car.

I just wish sometimes he could sound more bloody excited about breaking all these records!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

and here comes the rain :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Max and Valtteri sound pretty fed up.

Aye Valtteri has a lot to be fed up about at this stage, tbh. Max less so, but still constant 3rd place has got to grate on him weekend after weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye Valtteri has a lot to be fed up about at this stage, tbh. Max less so, but still constant 3rd place has got to grate on him weekend after weekend.

Better than constant 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

All that aside, Hamilton's dad excitedly recording everything on his tablet is adorable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Wondering why Anthony Hamilton is recording proceedings on his tablet when his son has his own personal documentary television station in SkyF1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Just finished watching today’s race.

Boring and Predictable are the two words that come to mind.

F1 is in a really bad spot right now.

I really hope the upcoming changes have an impact but I’m really not optimistic about them.

I miss F1 of old. Unpredictable races with mechanicals etc.

Everything is just too perfect right now. Too much technology. Too much information.

Anyway not even a rant, more of a sigh of disappointment tbh.

I really hope the upcoming changes have an impact but I’m really not optimistic about them.

Everything is just too perfect right now. Too much technology. Too much information.

Yeah the reliability is one of the main things that gets to me now. Part of it is too much information as you say. Another part is that the limits are set super conservative. Power harvesting and charging even in the KERS days was easy to hit the limit on. The engines run nowhere near their design limits (assuming they're designed anywhere near the quality the V8s were, 10500 RPM is nothing) and how often are there hydraulic or gearbox failures?
    On the TMI side, the most fun we seem to get after washed out practice/new track surfaces and the like. We had the bit of fun at the start today but we all knew it wouldn't last so it's hard to get invested in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

IT is very predictable however that shouldn't take away the fact we are probably getting to watch the greatest driver of all time at the moment. Reminds me of how Tiger Woods in golf in the early 2000s was so dominant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Beagslife

What was the general verdict on the race track? Can you see it becoming a permanent fixture? Obviously the weather over the weekend didn't help but October in Algarve is often fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

There would have been little or no overtakes except for DRS. Don't think they will be back.

On a related note, if the 2022 cars are going to a lot less turbulent then I would let everyone use DRS whenever they wanted, or just get rid of it altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

DellyBelly wrote: »
    IT is very predictable however that shouldn't take away the fact we are probably getting to watch the greatest driver of all time at the moment. Reminds me of how Tiger Woods in golf in the early 2000s was so dominant

I agree. It’s just a shame he’s in a red bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Oops!

DellyBelly wrote: »

Or the French Seb, top of his game at all levels of the sport for the last 20 odd years, he's fairly handy behind the wheel aswell.... Heading to Saudi Arabia in January i see.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I wish we had more of the racing we had in the first 6 laps today, they were great. After that...kiss my ass.

Another stinker, predictable and nothing enjoyable about it at all. The Mercs might as well have auto drive like a Tesla at this stage, no challenge of any sort from any car that is not a Merc.

God I miss when F1 was good, seasons like 2010 and 2012 seem so damn long ago where we had a legit fight for a championship and multiple teams that could win each weekend. We have a glorified marketing campaign by a manufacturer right now.

Fair play to Hamilton on breaking the record, as I have said before, to me this was on the cards since Rosberg decided he had enough and Merc didn't want a driver who would ruffle the feathers. Play it safe and take the wins, as we saw today.

Maybe F1 will be fun to watch again someday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Beagslife wrote: »
    What was the general verdict on the race track? Can you see it becoming a permanent fixture? Obviously the weather over the weekend didn't help but October in Algarve is often fantastic.

Track was ok, DRS zone was too long and made overtaking on the main straight too easy. Can't see it becoming permanent, isn't historical and I doubt the money is there for the race fees compared to the Middle and Far East countries.

recyclebin wrote: »
    There would have been little or no overtakes except for DRS. Don't think they will be back.
    Au contraire, the moves were done before T1 because of DRS but a lot of the moves had people getting great runs off of the last turn and with DRS would've been close into T1 rather than ahead at the braking point.
    On a related note, if the 2022 cars are going to a lot less turbulent then I would let everyone use DRS whenever they wanted, or just get rid of it altogether.
    Agreed on getting rid of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

As a checo fan I really enjoyed that, heart breaking at the end for him though, tyres all wrong, you just have to take merc out of it to enjoy the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Yeah the reliability is one of the main things that gets to me now.

The reliability being so good is undoubtedly the result of the cost saving measures, and the fact you are only allowed so few engines per season without being penalised. Back in the old days it was a knifes edge between extracting as much power as possible for an engine that was replaced after each session, and hoping it wouldn't blow up during the race.

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    The reliability being so good is undoubtedly the result of the cost saving measures, and the fact you are only allowed so few engines per season without being penalised. Back in the old days it was a knifes edge between extracting as much power as possible for an engine that was replaced after each session, and hoping it wouldn't blow up during the race.

Even just with the engines running at around 10500 RPM. Originally rules said that 15k was the limit but the fuel flow etc. meant it wasn't worth it. So even just on that they can be designed well within design limits. That goes for the engine and hydraulics and all, they're just nowhere near a hard limit in their usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Wondering why Anthony Hamilton is recording proceedings on his tablet when his son has his own personal documentary television station in SkyF1?

Because even Anthony Hamilton doesn't like David Croft's commentating :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭chicorytip

All races have exciting and interesting parts and today's was typical of that and seeing Hamilton at his brilliant best is never boring.

chicorytip wrote: »
    All races have exciting and interesting parts and today's was typical of that and seeing Hamilton at his brilliant best is never boring.

Sure you don't see Hamilton for most of the race, do you know why? Because it's boring and predictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

There only thing saving F1 from me stopping looking at it is the coverage of the action in the midfield.

Back in the nineties/earlier 2000s during the Schumacher reign, we were treated to coverage of the Ferraris find lap after lap, especially during Italian races when the TV directors of the country ran the show!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It was an ok race.nothing great but there was some nice racing by Sergio, Carlos Seinz, and others. Nice to see Limi do go again for a bit too. Well done to Lewis
    If the FIA wanted to make the races interesting and exciting they could say that the fastest teams have to run on the worse tyres for the track they are on. So the Mercs today on the Softs or whatever they had on at the beginning and the cars further back on mediums might make it more exciting but maybe that would just be another gimmick like DRS. Just an idea.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭quokula

Bottas really doesn’t belong on the F1 grid. Imagine how much more interesting the last few years would have been if Mercedes had a slightly above average driver like Rosberg continuing to give Hamilton a hard time.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Beagslife wrote: »

I liked that the track had some undulations, it made it a bit more visually interesting than the usual pretty flat Tilkedromes. But that was about it really. DRS was far too powerful and then the only natural overtaking spot was at the end of the same straight anyway. It kind of made the rest of the track a bit redundant tbh.
    chicorytip wrote: »

But it is really. I'm not saying he's not the best driver out there, he clearly is, but he's certainly not the most interesting or exciting to watch. If he hasn't qualified on pole, at best we'll probably see one pass against Bottas and then he's on his own for the rest of the race. I'd much rather watch the McLarens, Gasly and Danny Ric scrap it out for 5th place than Hamilton lapping the field.

The funny thing is if you had no previous knowledge then today's race would have been pretty enjoyable. It's just the inevitability detracts from it so much.
    Have to ask though, how much was Hamilton holding back at the start? He didn't seem in a massive hurry to pass Bottas. Once he did he showed just how much more pace he had in hand. He passed him with 47 laps left and beat him by 25 seconds. That's over half a second a lap like, without traffic as a reason. Embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭jv2000

The funny thing is if you had no previous knowledge then today's race would have been pretty enjoyable. It's just the inevitability detracts from it so much.
    Have to ask though, how much was Hamilton holding back at the start? He didn't seem in a massive hurry to pass Bottas. Once he did he showed just how much more pace he had in hand. He passed him with 47 laps left and beat him by 25 seconds. That's over half a second a lap like, without traffic as a reason. Embarrassing.

The Merc is so far ahead of everybody else and this takes away from how bad Bottas is performing. He is not a challenge for Hamilton but because the car is so good he still defaults second place when he does not suffer the technical faults. It is almost laughable at this stage, whenever Hamilton wants to beat Bottas then he will. So often Bottas will dominate every practice session but as soon as it comes down to the qualifying then 4 out of 5 times Hamilton will have the measure of Bottas. And the race itself is even worse. When Hamilton chases down Bottas only 1 thing is going to happen, Hamilton is going to overtake him. By comparison to Rosberg, when Hamilton chased him down there was a 50% chance they would collide and that got into Hamilton's head. Also Rosberg was just a better driver (than Bottas) on race day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

jv2000 wrote: »
    The Merc is so far ahead of everybody else and this takes away from how bad Bottas is performing. He is not a challenge for Hamilton but because the car is so good he still defaults second place when he does not suffer the technical faults. It is almost laughable at this stage, whenever Hamilton wants to beat Bottas then he will. So often Bottas will dominate every practice session but as soon as it comes down to the qualifying then 4 out of 5 times Hamilton will have the measure of Bottas. And the race itself is even worse. When Hamilton chases down Bottas only 1 thing is going to happen, Hamilton is going to overtake him. By comparison to Rosberg, when Hamilton chased him down there was a 50% chance they would collide and that got into Hamilton's head. Also Rosberg was just a better driver (than Bottas) on race day.

Bottas went so far offline yesterday when Hamilton was catching him. Bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Bottas went so far offline yesterday when Hamilton was catching him. Bizarre.

it was like he was getting lapped and had a blue flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

That was one of the best F1 races I've watched in years. That track should be used every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

MadYaker wrote: »
    That was one of the best F1 races I've watched in years. That track should be used every year.

It was ok but I would not go that far The first 6 laps were good but it got boring after that. It is a lovely track do and yes it would be good to see it on the calendar again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

These new tracks acting as filler won't be around for next year. Once things open up again, the big tracks will want F1 back, so we shouldn't get comfy with Portugal, Imola or Mugello at all.

Probably the only good thing about this season as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement