Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2020: Round 12 : Portugal Grand Prix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Gasly looking good this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Listening to Otmar talking to Sky, desperately trying to gloss over the fact that Stroll is half a second behind Perez again. Stroll is not a terrible racer, but he can't qualify for ****. Perez nice and clean through both sessions, saved a set of tyres from Q1 so he's got 2 runs now in Q3 and meanwhile Stroll is out.

Next season won't be any better with Vettel, he's just been out qualified by a Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Well done George Russell!

There's something inherently wrong about finding yourself getting excited that Seb briefly managed to get up to P7 in Q1...

Yeah but p15 of 15 in q2.

Interestingly both Ferraris tried to do q2 on medium tyres. Leclerc got to 8th and into q3. Seb was last and 6tenths off leclerc.

That's just typical

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Surprise surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭This is it

LeClerc awesome again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

It was great to see Charles make it into Q3 on the mediums and only 1/3 drivers who did it, would make for an interesting rave if Ferrari's strategists didn't consistently make **** decisions.

I was thinking in Q2 that Alex Albon should have been ahead of Charles considering he's in a red bull on soft tyres and then to only qualify P6 tomorrow is not very good for him at all.

Bottas quickest in every session except the one that counts. Sums him up perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

skipper_G wrote: »
    Bottas quickest in every session except the one that counts. Sums him up perfectly

And proves yet again that Hamilton is s class above the others when it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Car99 wrote: »
    And proves yet again that Hamilton is s class above the others when it matters.

It only proves that he's better than Bottas though.

• Advertisement

Some reports that Vitaly Petrov's father has been assassinated in Russia. He's serving as a steward this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well that was a boring crap qualifying session. Such a disappointment. I think Hamilton has this race in the bag. I would say this is the kind of race where you want to start at the front if you want to win it. Can't see many places to pass on this track so it will probably be a very dull race but could surprise us.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

AMKC wrote: »
    Well that was a boring crap qualifying session. Such a disappointment. I think Hamilton has this race in the bag. I would say this is the kind of race where you want to start at the front if you want to win it. Can't see many places to pass on this track so it will probably be a very dull race but could surprise us.

The DRS zone is the entire length of the long straight, so overtaking shouldn't be that hard.

racefansdotnet-algarve-470x264.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

skipper_G wrote: »
    Some reports that Vitaly Petrov's father has been assassinated in Russia. He's serving as a steward this weekend

He's stood down and is returning home.

Ms

Just looking at Lewis Hamiltons pole lap there and he goes off the track and over the white line with all four tyres at least 3 times but is not punished for going beyond track limits. Why? I think Bottas should be on pole not Hamilton sure he would prob still win anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭This is it

AMKC wrote: »
    Just looking at Lewis Hamiltons pole lap there and he goes off the track and over the white line with all four tyres at least 3 times but is not punished for going beyond track limits. Why? I think Bottas should be on pole not Hamilton sure he would prob still win anyway.

Track limits were reviewed apparently

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/153010/portimao-track-limits-revised-after-125-laps-deleted

Ms

This is it wrote: »

Turn 15 is the last corner am I right? If so I am sure Hamilton went off there too. Maybe it was not the whole car do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Track should be much faster by the end of the race. Most drivers left time out there, plenty of flicking of the steering wheels through corners. A side-by-side onboard of Hamilton and Bottas showed each of them dropping a tenth here and there in different places. Could argue it's just set-up but mostly it looked like little mistakes and corrections.

Going on what the drivers were saying about the track been slippy I'm expecting a few DNFs and cars spinning out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭BrentMused

Is today the day we finally get rain during the race and not an hour afterwards? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Quali analysis by teammate is interesting.

4 sets of teammate ended next to each other in quali. The Mercs, Renaults, Alfas and the Haas. All very close to each other within about 1.5tenths.

Some big gaps between teammates were
    Verstappen .550s ahead of Albon,
    LeClerc .550s ahead of Vettel (LeClerc went nearly 3tenths faster in q3),
    Perez .500s ahead of Stroll,
    Gasley .350s Ahead of Kvyat, and
    Russell a whopping .850s ahead of Latifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Everyone is expecting history to be written today with Lewis becoming all-time record Grand Prix winner. Which can only mean one thing - first DNF in over 40 races :D
    He's 15/2 to not be classified - I'm gonna take a bit of that

The weather forecast suggests rain will come after the race. The wind has picked up quite a bit, maybe will lead to a few first lap lock ups and a bit of action into turn 1

Edit: scratch this, the forecast looks wrong. Spots of rain already

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Suggestions of a bit of rain already falling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Crofty just asked if today will be Schumachers 92nd win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

T-Maxx wrote: »
    It only proves that he's better than Bottas though.

That's why any team on the grid would be glad to have Lewis.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

rain could make this tasty!

Madness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

What a start, incidents all over, lock ups everywhere,

and the rain is visible enough there early on in the lap.

Advertisement