Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

It’s a money racket buying sacks of wood, you’re paying for 20-30% air

each to their own

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I don’t fancy paying for a lad to stack eastern european timber in a crate, paying for that crate to be shipped a couple of thousand miles, held in a depot for possibly months and then have to stack it again myself anyway.

I much prefer to buy local timber and not have to pay for all the extras but each to their own.

You must prefer Pringles over tayto because they’re neatly stacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

If you can find something better I’d love to see it.

There are lots of small local guys around the country cutting and selling their own timber, go and have a look at what they’re selling. If it’s decent quality you’ll likely be getting a much better deal than stacked crates shipped from Eastern Europe.

Just for reference, from my own experience there is about 0.85-0.875 cubic meters stacked equivalent in a loose ton bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭mun1

Seen figure on suppliers sites saying its 1.6m3 loose = 1m3 hand stacked.

i got 2m3 hand stacked oak in a crate from Monaghan’s for €519 and got a “ton” bag from another supplier . The best way to put it is that me and my son were able to drag the “ton “ bag along the ground and it took less than 10 mins to offload into the shed.

the 2m3 stack took 45 mins to re stack into shed. If i was to guess , id say the 2m3 stacked held about 7-8 “ton” bags worth of logs.

there are also guys buying in bulk crates and selling them in ton bags because they can make money and they sell fast because of convenience

buying loose never works out better than being stacked and despite what you think it is not because they look pretty stacked, less of the smart quips about tattoo vs pringles please this is a bargain alert thread not a place for throwing digs at folks

You’re the one dismissing loose out of hand, for me it comes down to price and quality.

“buying loose never works out better than being stacked despite what you think” “less of the smart quips” “not a place for throwing digs” do you see any issue with theses statements?

You don’t have to go far back in this thread to see lads selling very bad quality/value in stacked crates too, so buyer beware, do your homework and don’t dismiss loose just because there are dodgy lads out there selling crap. There are good deals to be had if you’re careful, just like with everything.

Out of interest, what do you guys consider to be a good price per cubic meter of kiln dried beech if you think what I have is bad value?

Didn’t have to go too far back to find this from you, €290 for 1.15 metres of oak. My stack is 3.6 metres of beech for €400, that’s quite a premium for oak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭geographica

Doubt you’ll get many answers to your question as you are being too aggressive, This is a friendly place where people try post bargains to help each other save a few euro in a cost of living crisis, what’s more is, it sounds like you’ll only accept the answer you want to hear so 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

Apologies if I’m coming across as aggressive, that is not my intention, I just got a little annoyed at being dismissed out of hand when the figures should tell their own story.

I won’t be posting where I get my logs, he’s a local guy with a full order book as it is so I don’t particularly want him getting a ton bag more enquiries. You can crap on me all you want for that which is fair but you will also find local guys to yourself who can likely offer similar deals if you put in a bit of leg work.

Read the post correctly it’s not my post, I commented on it and oak is a different wood to beech so the value isn’t compatible

I did read it correctly, you commented that it looked like a good deal compared to your previous suppliers.

Oak and beech are absolutely comparable, as are all timbers if you use their btu’s. The 2 have similar btu’s with oak being about 5-10% higher depending on what document you read.

I will absolutely admit that stacked is better value if someone can come up with actual figures to show it but you have to look at each deal on its own merits and not just dismiss something because of preconceptions.

my previously suppliers was last year and from last years figures it was decent value, this years values aren’t out as yet and a price drop is expected, most merchants haven’t even updated their websites yet

Based on that then you actually have no idea whether the beech I have is a good deal or not, if you don’t know then please stop advising people not to buy loose because you think they are buying air.

There are great bargains to be had and you are turning people off them because of preconceived notions.

Jesus lads... drop it

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭mun1

so the OP posted in the Bargain Alerts thread claiming that they got a bargain on logs they bought recently

wont say where they got the bargain though.

not to drag the arse out of this any further but wheres' the bargain alert ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

So just on oak- if your stove (assuming it’s a stove you have) is small, it will likely take a bit of time for the oak to get going. Don’t get me wrong oak is bloody great and I went through a pallet of it last year- but it’s a tough cookie to get going in a small stove but brilliant when placed on an up and running fire- great heat and longevity

Apparently large stoves can cope better with oak due to increased air circulation - as a compromise I’ve gone ash this year - easier to light than oak and longer steadier burning than birch - let’s see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,122 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thanks for that, good point. Yes it is a small stove, well there are two, but I think one of the reasons I got through the beech and birch so fast was that the stove I use most has a very good draw. You can go from no fire to a blaze in no time, and the fan turning in about 20 minutes.

I did get a mixed trailer load a couple of times which was excellent value, there was some oak in it and I had no problem burning it. I wish I could get it again, I have lost track of the guy selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Alot depends on the size of bag used but a standard tonne bag used by builders merchants and garden centres is 80cm x 80cm x 80cm =0.51 of a cubic meter. About 30% of that volume is fresh air so its stacked volume of firewood is around 0.35 of a cubic meter. 4 of those is 1.4m3 stacked. €400 for 1.4m3 would not be good value, it works out at €285 per cubic meter whereas a 2m3 crate of oak for €450 would be €225 per cubic metre or if it was €500 it is €250 per cubic meter so still cheaper than buying standard tonne bags.

From what Ive seen from buying firewood over the last 4 winters tonne bags typically represent poorer value than crates. Lots of sellers on Donedeal selling them but I think its only when you are buying larger volumes like trailer loads that the price represents value vis a vis buying stacked crates.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭DavidJC

So there are 55 pages in this thread. I started on page 1 which has a dead link to the SEAI website.

More recently just bickering.

To get things back on track, where online are people looking in September 2023?

there aren't any bargains that's why nothing has been posted, suppliers are still selling at last years prices

i got an email from a local supplier in cork that they dropped the price of kiln dried birch from 350 to 280 so things are starting to move

coughlan fuels btw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭ablelocks

doesn't look like it's available to order online at the moment but should be available instore.

Premium Oak Log 25cm Crate 1m (coopsuperstores.ie)

not sure if that's good value or not, delivery is €50 i think

and thanks Muahahaha for that post

someone used this company not too long ago and the wood and delivery was good and delivery included is handy

• Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I used them last year. I got a small pallet of Ash. Quality was very good.

No idea how their current prices compare to competitors

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭SteM

Yeah, I got ash from them back in February and was happy with the quality. I'm wary of mixed packs though.

Yeah I’d be the same with regard the mixed but they have plenty of other pallets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Treppen

Finglasfuels.ie any good?

Their 1.2 crate (ash or oak) is €305

Advertisement