Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2020: ROUND 15 bahrain GP1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Yeah, because getting two punctures in the one race was all his fault.
    His start was dreadful, that's not the tyres fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Message from Romain himself:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIL-IOZJ7Xm/

Good to see him in good spirits.

Interesting also to see that in Bahrain they have the same electrical sockets as we have here. You don't see them in many countries...:pac:

Yes, he had a bad start, like many do. Verstappen is famous for bad starts but I don't see him being labeled useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

There has been commentary all weekend long on the disadvantage of starting from the dirty side of the track.

Yes, he had a bad start, like many do. Verstappen is famous for bad starts but I don't see him being labeled useless.
    Because he finished strong. Bottas went backwards, twice.

• Advertisement

Infoanon wrote: »
    There has been commentary all weekend long on the disadvantage of starting from the dirty side of the track.
    Verstappen debunked that on the second start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Verstappen debunked that on the second start.

Not really ,Perez should have nabbed second.

The cars behind also suffered starting in the dirty side.

Because he finished strong. Bottas went backwards, twice.

Bottas was 16th coming out of the pits after his first puncture and finished 8th. Did you miss that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Bottas was 16th coming out of the pits after his first puncture and finished 8th. Did you miss that?

He spent 4 laps behind a ferrari powered Alfa, within DRS range after 2 crap starts. He is in a car which is by some margin superior to any other car in F1 history.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    He spent 4 laps behind a ferrari powered Alfa, within DRS range after 2 crap starts. He is in a car which is by some margin superior to any other car in F1 history.

That Alfa also had DRS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

It blows my mind that not a bone broken on GRO.

Other than the unfortunate fire he would have just strolled out of that wreck and got on with the rest of his day.

So me any other vehicle that can crash head on into a metal barrier at over 220kmh, subject the occupants to over 50g, and protect them to that extent. Its an engineering masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I won’t lie I thought it was brilliant to see some excitement today with fireballs and a flipped car.

Obviously goes without saying (but I’ll say it anyway as some snowflake will say how very dare you) both drivers are ok.

Ultimately though it’s the unpredictability that made F1 captivating back in the day.

Loonatics driving around stupid speeds in cars that a child could see were incredibly dangerous.

But they were will to take the risk so we loved it!!!

Big engines, fast cars and unpredictable situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Tzardine wrote: »
    It blows my mind that not a bone broken on GRO.

Other than the unfortunate fire he would have just strolled out of that wreck and got on with the rest of his day.

So me any other vehicle that can crash head on into a metal barrier at over 220kmh, subject the occupants to over 50g, and protect them to that extent. Its an engineering masterpiece.

If he got knocked out, i dont think they would have got to him in time. The fact the barrier allowed him through might have just softened the sudden stop enpugh to stop him blacking out.
    Very very lucky.

mickdw wrote: »
    If he got knocked out, i dont think they would have got to him in time. The fact the barrier allowed him through might have just softened the sudden stop enpugh to stop him blacking out.
    Very very lucky.

I think you are right, he was so fortunate to not black out.

I thought for sure it was a fatality. It reminded me of the Alonso crash from 2016 (which GRO was involved in too incidentally).

I thought Alonso was a gonner when watching it live, but he climbed out of the carnage and strolled away casual. It boggles the mind how strong the monocoque is.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thidp

I think you are right, he was so fortunate to not black out.

I thought for sure it was a fatality. It reminded me of the Alonso crash from 2016 (which GRO was involved in too incidentally).

I thought Alonso was a gonner when watching it live, but he climbed out of the carnage and strolled away casual. It boggles the mind how strong the monocoque is.

It is Gutierrez in the Haas, not Grosjean.

Thidp wrote: »
    It is Gutierrez in the Haas, not Grosjean.

You are right, I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

You are right, I stand corrected.

Easy mistake, if you see a crash you assume Grosjean.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was watching the replay of Grosjean's crash on Channel 4 earlier tonight. All I can say is Jesus Christ.............Roman Grosjean is one very very lucky man.

I am so happy to hear that the halo has saved his life from this incident. Well done to the people involved from the FIA & FOM to put it into the car. You have actually saved someone's life of a F1 driver, or in other words an actual human being, out there in the car & many more of them in future from being potentially killed by putting it into the car. That takes a lot of guts & bravery to do that for all of your drivers out there on the track. Fair play.

If anyone wants to go into this sport as a career in the future; they would really want to think long & hard look from it. If they wanted to take the helm of these machines if they want to win trophies & world titles for their potential F1 teams in future. They should look at the potential dangers of it from taking it up during their young lives. That crash in Bahrain from Grosjean & car tipping over for Stroll from that one race earlier today should be looked as some of the incidents in how to never crash a car in F1. It could change their lives in a huge way if they get hit in an unexpected incident like that while not complying with the rules while out on the track.

Now I know that halo from Roman's car had offficially saved his life in that horrifying accident however the look of shock & disbelief on my face when I watched that huge fireball billowing up into the air from that accident was something else on another level. It left me completely speechless. I have never seen anything like that happen in F1 for several years. I am glad to know that these incidents in F1 are extremely rare but it should never happen again. It's a blessing that Roman Grosjean's fans will visibly relieved in hearing that he is doing well apart from a few burns on the hands & some slight burns on his ankles.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yep Romain is very very lucky and thankfully the Halo was there and done its job because without it I think Romain would not still be alive.
    I hope they sort them barriers out and we never see a crash like that again. I will admit it was not the most spectacular crash I have ever seen in F1. I would give that to Fernando Alonso for his big crash in Melbourne in 2016. The Mark Webber crash over the Catherham in 2010 is another but I was not home to see that live unfortunatly only seen it on the news at the time.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Yep Romain is very very lucky and thankfully the Halo was there and done its job because without it I think Romain would not still be alive.
    I hope they sort them barriers out and we never see a crash like that again. I will admit it was not the most spectacular crash I have ever seen in F1. I would give that to Fernando Alonso for his big crash in Melbourne in 2016. The Mark Webber crash over the Catherham in 2010 is another but I was not home to see that live unfortunatly only seen it on the news at the time.

Kubica canada looked worse. It was high speed into concrete. The fireball was the bigger problem.in this one.
    Ive been watching f1 since 1991 and i cant remember ever seeing a fireball in a crash. Couple.of cases of refueling fires only.
    Its pretty amazing how they keep the fluids from going on fire in most cases. Fuel tank, filler and all pipework need to be built such that if any part is pulled / ruptured, no fuel escapes.
    Same for hydraulic circuits and likely brakes.
    Brawn seemed to believe thst the fire in this case was the result of only a small fuel quantity but given the instant fireball, that is hard to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think I was someone who wasn’t a fan of the halo when it was first introduced in F1. I’m happy to be wrong after today’s events. The pictures were awful and thankfully romain is okay and the medical team are legends. It was a shock to see an F1 car just break in two like that. A good outcome to what was and could have been an even worse outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

OK, now that the dust has literally settled on the incident, looking back at it, had this accident resulted in Grosjean in the barriers with a normally mangled car (like Albon on Friday for example)instead of the big wreck we saw, I reckon Grosjean could have been in big trouble with the stewards for weaving across the track like that and hitting Kvyat.

Kubica canada looked worse. It was high speed into concrete. The fireball was the bigger problem.in this one.
    Ive been watching f1 since 1991 and i cant remember ever seeing a fireball in a crash. Couple.of cases of refueling fires only.
    Its pretty amazing how they keep the fluids from going on fire in most cases. Fuel tank, filler and all pipework need to be built such that if any part is pulled / ruptured, no fuel escapes.
    Brawn seemed to believe thst the fire in this case was the result of only a small fuel quantity but given the instant fireball, that is hard to believe.

You forgetting Pedro Diniz?

Brawn I think might be right. The car ripping apart could have leaked other flammable fluids too without it being the entire fuel tank.

flazio wrote: »
    OK, now that the dust has literally settled on the incident, looking back at it, had this accident resulted in Grosjean in the barriers with a normally mangled car (like Albon on Friday for example)instead of the big wreck we saw, I reckon Grosjean could have been in big trouble with the stewards for weaving across the track like that and hitting Kvyat.

Yes, it seems that the debris didn't affect his tyre, so it will go down as another typical reckless Grosjean move. I think in this case he's served his stop-and-go penalty...

Yes, it seems that the debris didn't affect his tyre, so it will go down as another typical reckless Grosjean move. I think in this case he's served his stop-and-go penalty...

I dont think there will be a "go" again for him.

I think that's the last time we see him in an F1 car.

You forgetting Pedro Diniz?

Brawn I think might be right. The car ripping apart could have leaked other flammable fluids too without it being the entire fuel tank.

Forgot about diniz. It was abit of a fireball but not a crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

On Saturday night I actually only watched a documentary that followed Mclaren during the pre season of 2017 (on amazon prime for those interested) and they showed the installation of the fuel cell, albeit briefly, but its not a solid cell, its flexible so in an impact it can move around without bursting. Having witnessed a fuel fire myself years ago I can say that no way did 90+ kg go up yesterday.

Grosjean has always had a tendency to have a lapse in judgement causing accidents. Am I right in thinking he is the only driver in the current crop that had to serve a ban?

That's still really unbelievable. But great to see

https://twitter.com/wbuxtonofficial/status/1333346245721661441?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Kubica's was much higher speed and into concrete but I think this one was worse - even without the fire. I wouldn't have thought that the Halo was strong enough to protect the drivers head in such a situation but thankfully it did. The deformation of the barrier would have dissipated energy but OTOH it was still a very sudden stop due to getting "caught" in the barrier.

Major question marks over this type of barrier now if there weren't before. It could be that as one of the commentators said, cars are considerably heavier than they used to be, they are also very rigid. I noticed that the nose cone of Grosjean's car wasn't too badly damaged, it speared through the barrier perhaps if it had been knocked off the barrier would have held. Better barriers needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

That's still really unbelievable. But great to see

https://twitter.com/wbuxtonofficial/status/1333346245721661441?s=19

Absolutely unbelievable after a wreck like that.

I'm still absolutely flabbergasted that he got himself out of that, the engineering in those cars is mind-bendingly good.

Advertisement