Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭NaFirinne

It's easy to make predictions about the past.

Not when it was written thousands of years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

NaFirinne wrote: »
    Not when it was written thousands of years ago.

Any examples?

Israel becoming a nation again in 1948 is one example.

A study into eschatology has many more examples.

if you want to see the evidence for this there is plenty of studies on this.

This is a very good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ0y2HqpP8g&list=PLspN3FLSM_nQwBPdOk0HS7bn4Zkt3IIIk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,646 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

This is a very good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ0y2HqpP8g&list=PLspN3FLSM_nQwBPdOk0HS7bn4Zkt3IIIk

What is it with conspiracy theorists and youtube video's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Extra long ones too.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Extra long ones too.

Yup, just finished a long day in work, last thing I want to watch is some hour long youtube vid from some random guy. I wish they would have the courtesy to timestamp the parts that are pertinent to the discussions.

No not at all.

That's not a conspiracy theorist

That's the start of a very deep study with evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,193 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Bibical prophecies have been proven to be accurate.

Are you suggesting book written thousands of years ago has magic powers that means it can predict the future..

What kind of magic powers..

No not at all.

That's not a conspiracy theorist

That's the start of a very deep study with evidence.

An hour and 10 minute video, 1 of 26 of them! No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

This is a very good one.

YouTube videos are not studies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭harrylittle

Its because main stream media wont cover the issues so it moves to the fringes and even utube is now banning the bulk of those

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

This is a very good one.

It's very easy to take an event and massage it to fit in with a "prediction".

You could probably take all of Iron Maiden's and Metallica's song lyrics and connect them to world events that happen in the future.

(Cue treacly American accent on some lame Discovery Channel documentary)

A worlld leader shall rise and rule over the planet. He will have come from humble beginnings. He shall make decisions solely of his own volition and other shall agree.

As predicted in The Book of Metallica, Chapter "Wherever I May Roam", verse 2:

"And the earth becomes my throne
    I adapt to the unknown
    Under wandering stars I've grown
    By myself but not alone
    I ask no one"

:D

Its because main stream media wont cover the issues so it moves to the fringes and even utube is now banning the bulk of those

It's always been on the fringe because it's represents fringe views. You do realise that flat-earthers, anti-vaxxers, etc use all the same excuses. Rather than face the reality that their beliefs are baseless, they pretend there is a global conspiracy against them, including the "mainstream media", social media and so on.

Well, do you expect to find information that might be embarrassing to Western governments in mainstream media outlets?

And if it does get out woe betide those who facilitated it.

Well, do you expect to find information that might be embarrassing to Western governments in mainstream media outlets?

And where do you expect to find abject nonsense that isn't in the news because it's abject nonsense and it isn't true?
    Things like flat earth... Creationism... Holocaust denial...

They all claim the same "oppression" too.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭harrylittle

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    It's always been on the fringe because it's represents fringe views. You do realise that flat-earthers, anti-vaxxers, etc use all the same excuses. Rather than face the reality that their beliefs are baseless, they pretend there is a global conspiracy against them, including the "mainstream media", social media and so on.

So why the ban if its baseless

So why the ban if its baseless
    Because vulnerable people sometimes start believing false claims or the see issues as clouded when they aren't.

Why allow obvious false claims and nonsense?
    Especially when you have cats like Alex Jones who make a mint out of them?

Also "ban" is a bit disingenuous.
    Cranks are free to create their own platforms where they can spread whatever nonsense they like.
    Just that doesn't give them the easily accessible reach and profit of established, free to use platforms.

But various people have cracked the secrets of these conspiracies and posted them all over the net? Isnt that the purest definition of it "getting out"?

Has anything happened to these people?

But various people have cracked the secrets of these conspiracies and posted them all over the net? Isnt that the purest definition of it "getting out"?

Half of the time conspiracy theorists are pointing to clues that the conspirators put out themselves. (I.e. "they tweeted this one article, therefore that means that plan to turn the either world communist.")

Again if the Shadowy They didn't give out so many clues, conspiracy theorists wouldn't have anything to talk about.

• Advertisement

What I'm saying is if you get too close to the truth you will be silenced.

If you actually manage to get information out with evidence your life will be made a living hell so as to discourage other who may think about growing a conscience and telling your story.

E.g

Assange
    Snowden
    Manning
    Sgrena

And before people start harping on about conspiracy theorists as opposed to whistleblowers, a whistleblower is a conspiracy theorist up until he/she can produce the goods. Then they become a whistleblower. And a conspiracy theorist is just that until the conspiracy is exposed and then it becomes a scandal.

What I'm saying is if you get too close to the truth you will be silenced.

If you actually manage to get information out with evidence your life will be made a living hell so as to discourage other who may think about growing a conscience and telling your story.

E.g

Assange
    Snowden
    Manning
    Sgrena

And before people start harping on about conspiracy theorists as opposed to whistleblowers, a whistleblower is a conspiracy theorist up until he/she can produce the goods. Then they become a whistleblower. And a conspiracy theorist is just that until the conspiracy is exposed and then it becomes a scandal.

Whistle-blowing is common, from workplaces, to industry, right up to government and national level. Snowden, Assange, Manning are all separate cases and are controversial because they broke laws to do it.

Whistle-blowing isn't automatically justified in every case, each case can be different and has to be judged on it's own merit.

In the case of e.g. Snowden, the NSA surveillance was already known about, but he just furnished the details which weren't so well known. He also confirmed he found no evidence of traditional "popular" conspiracies like moon landing hoax, aliens, etc.

No. This is disingenuous.
    Whistleblowers are not conspiracy theorists.
    They do not spend all day reading conspiracy websites, watching youtube videos and gathering clues to crack to conspiracy then post it to youtube or some rando blog or sell interviews to Alex jones..

They start with the evidence they have. Then the go to the mainstream media with their evidence.

This is what all the guys you pointed to did.

Whistle-blowing is common, from workplaces, to industry, right up to government and national level. Snowden, Assange, Manning are all separate cases and are controversial because they broke laws to do it.

Whistle-blowing isn't automatically justified in every case, each case can be different and has to be judged on it's own merit.

In the case of e.g. Snowden, the NSA surveillance was already known about, but he just furnished the details which weren't so well known. He also confirmed he found no evidence of traditional "popular" conspiracies like moon landing hoax, aliens, etc.

What law did Assange break? And we're not talking about moon landings or any of that gibberish, DJ, so please stop bringing it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Fodla

I hear Mr Ryan from WHO said we'd need to continue to socially distance after being vaccinated. All COVID-19 measures are indeed permanent.

• Advertisement

Fodla wrote: »
    I hear Mr Ryan from WHO said we'd need to continue to socially distance after being vaccinated. All COVID-19 measures are indeed permanent.

Link to where he said this?

(If) he said he would socially distance, how have you decided that all Covid-19 measures are permanent? explain your logic there..

You do realise lockdown measures were drastically reduced over the summer right? how do you explain that?

Now we're getting down to the heart of the matter.

And the breach of bail was for?

If it was that simple then why not simply issue a bench-warrant?

Have you EVER encountered someone who has been locked in an embassy for 8 years because they breached a bail stipulation?

Snowden has emphatically pronounced that he would return to the US to fce his accusers IF they could guarantee that he would face a a fair trial and not be tortured, like Chelsea Manning. Seems fair to me...except the nasties in Washington refuse to give that guarantee.

Do you blame him?

(this will all be moved to IMHO soon anyway) :-))

Link to where he said this?

He said and so did his colleague:

"Maria van Kerkhove, head of the WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said the vaccine will add another piece to a “toolkit” of public health measures that will be necessary to thwart the virus’ spread.

Other tools include drugs to treat severely ill patients and adherence to recommended public health measures like social distancing, mask wearing, avoiding crowds and hand hygiene."

Sounds permanent to me.

He said and so did his colleague:

"Maria van Kerkhove, head of the WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said the vaccine will add another piece to a “toolkit” of public health measures that will be necessary to thwart the virus’ spread.

Other tools include drugs to treat severely ill patients and adherence to recommended public health measures like social distancing, mask wearing, avoiding crowds and hand hygiene."

Sounds permanent to me.

You have not answered the question I asked though, you have linked to something and someone totally different.

Please link to where Ryan said what you claim he said.

• Advertisement

You have not answered the question I asked though, you have linked to something and someone totally different.

Please link to where Ryan said what you claim he said.

He didn't say they were permanent, but his talk of vaccines complementing the current measures suggests they are.

He didn't say they were permanent, but his talk of vaccines complementing the current measures suggests they are.

Jesus you lads are hard work!

You said
    I hear Mr Ryan from WHO said we'd need to continue to socially distance after being vaccinated.

Please link to where he said this, its not rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Fodla - There is a restriction on people who have made less than 50 posts & they cannot post links. At the start this was a valid reason for not posting one.

Now you are able to do it & please do so, or it makes your proof "they are doing something" meaningless.

I could easily say that I heard Mike Ryan has invested in Pfizer & will be pushing this as the Number 1 vaccine, but the price will be doubled.

But this is a load of rubbish if I don't back it up in someway.

Jesus you lads are hard work!

You said

Please link to where he said this, its not rocket science.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/1126/1180639-mike-ryan/

From 4 minutes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I thought the mass surveillance wasn't known about, in fact NSA director Clapper lied to congress about it, in itself a crime he should have been convicted for.
    Accepting this behaviour leads to more of it.
    https://mashable.com/2014/06/05/edward-snowden-revelations/?europe=true

I thought the mass surveillance wasn't known about

It was known about, but we didn't know the full extent and details, which were furnished directly by an insider. Likewise Extraordinary Rendition was known about post 9/11 and reported on, but more concrete details only came out later.

Fauci predicts higher Covid levels after thanksgiving dinners.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55126003

So why didn't this dildo cancel Thanksgiving?

He predicted a pandemic in 2018 .....the man obviously has a crystal ball.

He doesn't have any such power. He did issues warnings and guidelines about it.

He predicted a pandemic in 2018 .....the man obviously has a crystal ball.
    Again what's your explanation for this?

Are you implying that he is incompetent?
    Or are you implying that this is part of a conspiracy somehow?

He doesn't have any such power. He did issues warnings and guidelines about it.

I guess you missed the sarcasm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Caraibh

I agree with the OP that they are all permanent. The Health Minister of France said as much the other day when he said that he couldn't say whether masks and social distancing would have to continue post-vaccine or not.

Caraibh wrote: »
    I agree with the OP that they are all permanent. The Health Minister of France said as much the other day when he said that he couldn't say whether masks and social distancing would have to continue post-vaccine or not.

Masks and social distancing are likely to continue for a period after the vaccine comes out. Measures aren't permanent, many were removed or reduced this summer.

Please explain why these measures will be permanent, hundreds of pages of posts on this and still no one has explained that.

Masks and social distancing are likely to continue for a period after the vaccine comes out. Measures aren't permanent, many were removed or reduced this summer.

Please explain why these measures will be permanent, hundreds of pages of posts on this and still no one has explained that.

From an article in the Irish Examiner:

"France’s health minister says his country is readying to start administering Covid-19 vaccines in late December.

But Olivier Veran has warned that people will still have to wear masks and keep their distance even after vaccines are widely available.

Mr Veran said he cannot say yet whether mass vaccination “will allow us to get rid of this virus and totally return to our past lives”, because it is not clear exactly how long protection from the eventual vaccines will last."

That sounds permanent to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,557 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

"France’s health minister says his country is readying to start administering Covid-19 vaccines in late December.

But Olivier Veran has warned that people will still have to wear masks and keep their distance even after vaccines are widely available.

Mr Veran said he cannot say yet whether mass vaccination “will allow us to get rid of this virus and totally return to our past lives”, because it is not clear exactly how long protection from the eventual vaccines will last."

No, that sounds like he is unsure as there is no data to work on at the moment until the vaccine has been put out there on a big enough scale to allow data to show if these will be needed going forward

Trigger wrote: »
    No, that sounds like he is unsure as there is no data to work on at the moment until the vaccine has been put out there on a big enough scale to allow data to show if these will be needed going forward

But imagine taking a vaccine and still having to cover your face everywhere and keep your distance from people. It'd be awful.

To translate for you: We may never get rid of the virus fully (like the seasonal flu) and we may not return to our past lives fully (e.g. more working from home)

But imagine taking a vaccine and still having to cover your face everywhere and keep your distance from people. It'd be awful.

Why? Its what people do at the moment, if we have to do it for another 6 months or so then so be it.

You will still have to do this for awhile. Not everyone will get the vaccine on day 1, it will takes many months.

Trigger wrote: »

Yes, but needed for how long? Don't forget that this was supposed to be a two week lockdown. There's nothing in what he said to suggest that he doesn't mean forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Where is the logic for "them" in a permanent lockdown?

Again, the fear and paranoia based on wild speculation is baffling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement