Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

BPKS wrote: »
    Was on a long drive home - covid rules legitimately - while listening to TLW this evening.

First off Marion McKeowns line was terrible, dropping out every 3 seconds.

Cal Thomas line was perfect.

Matt Copper ignored Cal Thomas at one stage when the line was perfect and passed onto the other contributioner whose line was dropping continuously. Just because the other contributer agreed with him. It was disgraceful radio and Cooper deserves a wrap in the knuckles for it. I would be surprised if there wasn't complaints lodged to the BAI.

And I don't believe his excuse for a minute naout technical difficulties. He had no problem hearing Marion who dropped off but couldn't hear Cal whose line was perfect.

That's like something you'd hear from Trump Matt.

I heard this too, but he actually goes to Marian and the you can hear him saying the same thing slightly off mic, like "it seems live we've lost Marian too" or something like that, then there's some silence and he's obviously told that it's ok on the broadcast end. He goes back to Cal shortly after and aplogieses and gives him the floor. Today FM and the BAI would laugh off any conaplainta to be honest it sounds like a technical mix up. I'm not even sure if Matt is in studio, I know during the first lockdown he was at home, could well be back in now, but if he was at a different studio it's quite easy to excuse this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

Zed P wrote: »
    I think the last words days must be numbered at today FM, they have now axed all talk from weekends, it's not too long ago that they had 3 hours of business and current affairs talk on Sunday mornings.

I don't know what the BAI's requirements are for news-related content but they are probably what is saving The Last Word. They're skating on thin ice after axing all those weekend shows and getting rid of TLW would be a step too far. I'm sure they'd love to get rid of it (it is probably the costliest program on the station) and replace it with the latest Instagram influencer.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

pjohnson wrote: »
    If Today FM want an American Republican voice they wouldnt ask Cal back.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

Who was covering for Matt this evening? Sounded a bit like John Duggan

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

statto25 wrote: »
    Who was covering for Matt this evening? Sounded a bit like John Duggan

Will O Callaghan, one of the Off the Ball crew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Will O Callaghan, one of the Off the Ball crew

Has Matt worked a full two weeks this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Dr golden 2

Long gone are the days that Kevin Myers would fill-in

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Has Matt worked a full two weeks this year?

He hasn’t worked 2 full weeks since starting the tonight show, the workload is too heavy and something has to give soon, TodayFM is now purely a pop music station and TLW sticks out like a tinker in a tax office and Matt is just coasting, it’s illogical, sandwiched between teenie bopper Fergus D’Arcy and some other woeful sh1te, Matt will inevitably go to news talk next year probably in a lunchtime slot and TodayFM will get some other cheap button pusher in to play a few songs and read out a few texts for a couple of hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Dr golden 2

Who normally fills in for Cooper when he's off these days?

Who normally fills in for Cooper when he's off these days?

Frank graney courts reporter for the indo he’s not bad in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Frank graney courts reporter for the indo he’s not bad in fairness

Hes a bit dry tho. A bit too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Long gone are the days that Kevin Myers would fill-in

Shane Ross did a few shifts as well back in the Dunphy days.

PhoneMain wrote: »
    Hes a bit dry tho. A bit too serious.

Ah but Matt the cat is hardy party central himself

padd b1975 wrote: »

Let’s not go there he showed his true blue colors in government

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Let’s not go there he showed his true blue colors in government

colours

padd b1975 wrote: »

I remember that but he was quite poor as a presenter. I think they also gave Harry McGee and Kevin Myers a go behind the microphone but it was Matt who got the full-time gig. I can't remember if Hugh Linehan was a stand-in back in the Dunphy days.

Karl Deeter got a bit carried away with himself on Friday's episode when he said he'd give Elle McPherson one :eek: Naturally, he shouldn't have said such a thing live on radio but I'd have paid money to see the reaction behind the scenes. He apologised after the break but I wonder how long will it be before they ask him back?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Tork wrote: »
    I remember that but he was quite poor as a presenter. I think they also gave Harry McGee and Kevin Myers a go behind the microphone but it was Matt who got the full-time gig. I can't remember if Hugh Linehan was a stand-in back in the Dunphy days.

Karl Deeter got a bit carried away with himself on Friday's episode when he said he'd give Elle McPherson one :eek: Naturally, he shouldn't have said such a thing live on radio but I'd have paid money to see the reaction behind the scenes. He apologised after the break but I wonder how long will it be before they ask him back?

I laughed when he said that but I find Karl very hard to listen to. I'd be 100% confident he was made to say the apology opposed to him saying it of his own accord

I wouldn't miss him if he didn't come back

It was a bit of locker room talk as Donald Trump would describe it. It isn't going to sound the death knell for his appearances on the show but if it makes him less smug it'll be no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Karl hasn't been used by TLW in the last 6 months to stand in for Matt (cost cutting) so they've been using the news guys - Frank & Will (already on the Communicorp books) so even if Karl was doing stand in, I doubt we would hear him again in for Matt. I doubt he'll be on the Friday spot again but he might still pop up in the property chats.

I listened back and it is still there on the GoLoud app - interesting to hear, Helen was doing a good bit of talking about the topic before Karl got in, so it didn't sound like it just popped into his head. An odd thing to say for him...unless he didn't want to be called on again for the slot.

robo wrote: »
    Karl hasn't been used by TLW in the last 6 months to stand in for Matt (cost cutting) so they've been using the news guys - Frank & Will (already on the Communicorp books) so even if Karl was doing stand in, I doubt we would hear him again in for Matt. I doubt he'll be on the Friday spot again but he might still pop up in the property chats.

I listened back and it is still there on the GoLoud app - interesting to hear, Helen was doing a good bit of talking about the topic before Karl got in, so it didn't sound like it just popped into his head. An odd thing to say for him...unless he didn't want to be called on again for the slot.

Karl deeter is an awful twit he seems to be a bit of an expert on everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Tork wrote: »
    It was a bit of locker room talk as Donald Trump would describe it. It isn't going to sound the death knell for his appearances on the show but if it makes him less smug it'll be no harm.

It most certainly will.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bossdrum

siblers wrote: »
    I laughed when he said that but I find Karl very hard to listen to. I'd be 100% confident he was made to say the apology opposed to him saying it of his own accord

I wouldn't miss him if he didn't come back

Jamie Dornan and more recently Paul Mescall have had every second woman in the media mentioning their 'affection' for them. I've never heard an apology afterwards.
    I don't see why it should affect his future appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

bossdrum wrote: »
    Jamie Dornan and more recently Paul Mescall have had every second woman in the media mentioning their 'affection' for them. I've never heard an apology afterwards.

I initially read your comment and thought nah...but they may not have used the same language as Karl, but they have certainly alluded to it & also commented on their body in certain clothes - can you imagine a male presenter saying something about a woman's bod

I'm female & I kinda agree with you on that - some of the comments from the female presenters can be a bit...well if they were said by a man, heads would roll. But its ok for females to say it about males :rolleyes:

bossdrum wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see if he comes back. I couldn't believe my ears when he said it and it is only right that he apologised. I agree about some of the female contributors seeming to get away with murder. Didn't one of them talk about fanny flutters?

robo wrote: »
    I initially read your comment and thought nah...but they may not have used the same language as Karl, but they have certainly alluded to it & also commented on their body in certain clothes - can you imagine a male presenter saying something about a woman's bod

I'm female & I kinda agree with you on that - some of the comments from the female presenters can be a bit...well if they were said by a man, heads would roll. But its ok for females to say it about males :rolleyes:

In fairness to the girl presenters none of them ever said oh I’d do Paul mescall or id give Jamie dornan one, they aren’t as crude

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

What's the name of your man on the music slot with Dee Reddy?

I dunno how you spell it. John Gidel

Edit
    It's John Caddell

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MattressRick

siblers wrote: »
    What's the name of your man on the music slot with Dee Reddy?

I dunno how you spell it. John Gidel?

John Cadell? Heard the slot just now, what was with him? It got awkward listening to it. Acted like a right dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

John Cadell? Heard the slot just now, what was with him? It got awkward listening to it. Acted like a right dick.

Matt didnt like Shakin Stevens and John got cranky. Hes done it before tbh thats just his thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Matt didnt like Shakin Stevens and John got cranky. Hes done it before tbh thats just his thing.

He dragged his crankiness on for too long and then cut across the others with the same shakin Stevens crap again. Nobody laughing either at the end bar nervous laughter.

• Advertisement

I didn't hear it and was about to ask what he said. He's always cranky. He used to be quite rude to the lady who was on with him at the start. I can't remember her name but she used to present a music show on the station.

Advertisement