Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Direct sale. ~80% off Dunlop canvas shoes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

Kids shoes for €5.40 aint bad, €7.20 for adults. Time to stock up for summer

https://ie.sportsdirect.com/deal-ten?promo_name=popup-wo

Selected colours/styles/sizes only. Max 20 per customer. Online only. Offer ends Sunday 10th January at 18:00 (GMT).

10th January? As in January 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

10th Feb on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Sorry, copy/pasted from their site which has the wrong info! Should say eEnds Sunday 10th February! 10th Jan is a Thursday :/

https://ie.sportsdirect.com/flash-sale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Not to be a debbie downer, but id imagine these things to be pretty bad on the feet. I have tried Dunnes ones, Pennys ones, and Converse; you can see where the money goes. Take care of your feet, spend a bit more on something decent. Even if these were throwaway for a festival or something, you'll be paying with pain in your feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,418 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

xpletiv wrote: »
    Not to be a debbie downer, but id imagine these things to be pretty bad on the feet. I have tried Dunnes ones, Pennys ones, and Converse; you can see where the money goes. Take care of your feet, spend a bit more on something decent. Even if these were throwaway for a festival or something, you'll be paying with pain in your feet!

Unless you are talking about the Lunarlon insoles with arch support and cushioning in the newer All Star II shoes, Converse are just as bad for your feet as these ones. Just because something costs more or has a flash brand doesn't mean it's better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Comfortable shoes and a comfortable bed are the two most important things to have. If you're not in one, you're in the other.

Cheers for the bargain though.

For sure - I wouldn't wear them either. Just thought one of you cheapskates might :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

For sure - I wouldn't wear them either. Just thought one of you cheapskates might :pac:

hahahaha you're a gent for passing it on! I bought 5000 pairs to make sure none of ye have bad feet in the future. You can thank me later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Shoes: €7.20

Delivery: €7

Why don't they have a "collect from store" option? :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Dunlops are grand quality wise and you can't go wrong for €7 (€45) really. Had a pair before and never had issues.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Rubbish like walking the streets in your socks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Dunlops are grand quality wise and you can't go wrong for €7 (€45) really. Had a pair before and never had issues.

Dunlop is one of SDs own brand, nothing to do with the previous brand

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I've found the Dunnes converse to be as decent quality-wise as regular ones. i.e. both go to ****e after a few months wearing them, I expect these are no different. Grand for the summer holidays or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,677 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Can't go wrong for 7 euros and like most stuff in SD quality is better than expected.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Rather go barefoot. It would probably be more comfortable.

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Rather go barefoot.

True BA right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

Word of warning here.

Sports Direct have hopeless stock control and have a habit of overselling stock, especially with special offers like these.

They will then arbitrarily cancel complete orders (often with no notification) and it can take ages to get payment refunded. I had a big order cancelled recently as a couple of the items were "unavailable at the time of picking" -- why not wait for them or ship and charge for what is available?

If you do avail of this offer keep an eye on the order progress and if it gets cancelled by them make sure to follow up with customer service and if necessary Paypal to get refunds.

otherwise - enjoy the bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

msmx5 wrote: »
    Word of warning here.

Sports Direct have hopeless stock control and have a habit of overselling stock, especially with special offers like these.

They will then arbitrarily cancel complete orders (often with no notification) and it can take ages to get payment refunded. I had a big order cancelled recently as a couple of the items were "unavailable at the time of picking" -- why not wait for them or ship and charge for what is available?

If you do avail of this offer keep an eye on the order progress and if it gets cancelled by them make sure to follow up with customer service and if necessary Paypal to get refunds.

otherwise - enjoy the bargain!

This is definitely a selling strategy by Sports Direct - how many people have bought these "bargains" and then added a few more items to justify the delivery cost.

Then low and behold, the bargain items are cancelled from the order because of no stock and the purchaser is landed with purchasing the remaining items they added, plus the delivery costs.

Happened me twice, the 1st time they said the order has been processed and were unable to stop the delivery. 2nd time, the minute 1 item was cancelled due to no stock, I was able to cancel the whole order in time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,340 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I was in Sports Direct in Cork (Blackpool - just opened as a rebrand from Heatons/Sports World) and they had loads of these sorts of shoes on shelves, I think they were €11 though. But at least in store you can try on and be sure of the sizing/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,340 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Is there any difference from the old shop ? I passed it yesterday and it looks good outside

Way different inside. Downstairs is all sports, much better than the old sportsworld upstairs. The upstairs is like a weird version of tk maxx now too it would seem, odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

xpletiv wrote: »

Converse used to last longer but not any more. Now I only get a few months out of a pair, it doesn't matter if it is adults or kids converse. I have an old pair of adults and an old pair of kids that have done the rounds in my house and are still ok but the newer pairs went in the bin after only a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,088 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A lot of the cheap brands sold in SD are utter rubbish quality.

Think the likes of Dunlop, Slazenger, Everlast, Donnay, Lonsdale etc.

People think they are well known brands, and I suppose they are, but all of them changed hands over the years and are now more or less Sports Direct own brands made in the cheapest place they can find with the cheapest materials they can find.

I got a 5 pack of cheap TShirts from them before heading on holidays last year, just to have ones I could leave behind and bum around in at the pool. They were shocking. Fitted very badly around the neck and shoulders, I felt I was deformed.

But at least they are disposable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,893 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

NIMAN wrote: »
    A lot of the cheap brands sold in SD are utter rubbish quality.

Think the likes of Dunlop, Slazenger, Everlast, Donnay, Lonsdale etc.

People think they are well known brands, and I suppose they are, but all of them changed hands over the years and are now more or less Sports Direct own brands made in the cheapest place they can find with the cheapest materials they can find.

I got a 5 pack of cheap TShirts from them before heading on holidays last year, just to have ones I could leave behind and bum around in at the pool. They were shocking. Fitted very badly around the neck and shoulders, I felt I was deformed.

But at least they are disposable.

To be fair to SD all companies make their products for as little as possible. At least SD, and Pennies, are cheap because you can spend multiples for a "good" brand made in the same places.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Magnatu

Buying cheap disposal runners like this is a false economy. A half decent pair of runners can be used for much longer and will cost a lot less than constantly buying multiple cheap shoes. And be much more comfortable.

Well I posted the BA because I thought Dunlop *was* a good brand on sale at a good price. Can you be sure the more expensive brands around haven't gone the same way? I've noticed general shoe quality has taken a massive dive in recent years - especially the soles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Well I posted the BA because I thought Dunlop *was* a good brand on sale at a good price. Can you be sure the more expensive brands around haven't gone the same way? I've noticed general shoe quality has taken a massive dive in recent years - especially the soles.

Hi - I have bought many pairs of Converse, and many equivalent knock-offs for a fraction of the price (including from Sports Direct), and have never noticed much measurable difference in quality; I, for one, appreciated your BA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Mike Ashley is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,088 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yes, Sports Direct do sell the top brands ok, but you'll pay for them.
    Well over and above most of the junk they sell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Magnatu

You can buy decent runners in Sports Direct cheap enough. Runners that will last for years.
    But a €7 runner has to be poor quality. This is not a bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Mike Ashley is that you?

No, but the €7-13 that SD charges for a bit of canvas sown onto a flat piece of rubber is a lot closer to the true price of the item, rather than the €50+ that Converse charges for an identical shoe (albeit one with an extra piece of rubber saying 'Converse' on the side).

Advertisement