Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Dublin for good

Options

Comments

London is such a rip off though and the people always seem miserable. A friend of mine pays 2k per month in rent and has to commute 45 mins, doesn’t even live in city centre. They get the occasional heat wave but the summers are greatly exaggerated. They have lived there over 10 years and said it rains most of the year and while they get some warm summer weather, there is no consistency to it like the continent. Look at Wimbledon every year, half it is rain delays and that is early July

Obviously a large portion of those people leaving are retail workers who have no work, chances of them all coming back are slim but expect a fair few to. A couple of my friends have recently purchased houses in London, they think prices will come down a bit themselves but wouldn’t consider living anywhere else.
    Granted London is not for everyone, my wife is a born and bred Dub but she finds London too busy!!

As for the climate, it’s not Spain but after living in Ireland for a decade I now feel London is my summer holiday when I go back, ha!
    [/quote]

Majority of people are not miserable in London, that’s such a myth, very much like the Irish are happy go lucky, welcoming and love having the craic with everyone who comes in to their country. Much like people in London they go about their own business with their own busy lives and have a bit of banter with people when life doesn’t get in the way.

Lived there 25 years, been back every since moving, you’re right that summers are not that consistent compared to the continent but you are guaranteed some very good weather nearly every year. Wimbledon is a prime example, sure it might rain for a whole week but the next week is likely to be glorious wall to wall sunshine, the weather in Ireland is fairly awful in comparison.

Getting off subject though, Dublin is fine!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

bubblypop wrote: »
    Moved to Dublin in 1994, here ever since.
    What I require has changed over the years, but I find Dublin has provided me with whatever I need.
    I think many of these people moving down the country are couples or families with young kids.
    There is such a variety of things to do. Places to go, groups to meet, classes to attend in Dublin that you would never be bored. You have the sea and the mountains and I live beside the Phoenix park. It's what you make of it.

I have lived others places and Dublin may not be the best city in the world but it's a hell of a lot better then living in some small rural town with nothing to do!

Dublin is destroyed now. The entire city centre is a ghost town. And visibly deteriorating over the last 12 months. Many businesses are closed for good and buildings will be abandoned derelict and falling down. Junkies and homeless will be living in tents all over the place. Many middle class people on the pup wearing masks and obeying lockdown and "enjoying" family time will be dishevelled junkies and homeless soon when they end up on the streets after the lockdown madness ends.

Dublin is destroyed now. The entire city centre is a ghost town. And visibly deteriorating over the last 12 months. Many businesses are closed for good and buildings will be abandoned derelict and falling down. Junkies and homeless will be living in tents all over the place. Many middle class people on the pup wearing masks and obeying lockdown and "enjoying" family time will be dishevelled junkies and homeless soon when they end up on the streets after the lockdown madness ends.

Do you have next week's lotto results?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I was in town yesterday and the place looks great, lots of new cycle lanes, resurfacing done on Drury St and Chatham St with new benches and wider footpaths. The absence of so many cars makes the place far nicer.
    Places will close but we'll boom back after the pandemic, the whole world is in the same boat anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Disagree, I was in the city recently and thought it looked great. Like most capital cities it will bounce back post COVID

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

There's plenty of nice things to do, depending on where you live. I obviously am close enough to a few posters near here as I've got St. Anne's a 10 minute walk away and Bull Island nearby for leisure and there's a lot of Dublin that wouldn't have these and I can definitely see why that would make it far less attractive.
    I'm also paying a mortgage so not stuck in the rent jumps - if you were renting in your 30s, stuck with little greenery around you, it's understandable that some people might want to move out. It just doesn't hold true for all of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PetitPois89

zell12 wrote: »

I’ve lived in Paris, London and Lisbon - all beautiful cities in their own way and all of which I would return to for holidays however, not to live in.

Apart from Lisbon, Dublin is cheaper than Paris and London - yes, including rent. Transport in Dublin is sh**e but it’s much more accessible, you can drive from the seaside into the mountains in 30 mins. Dublin City centre has a junkie issue and a homeless crisis but it’s far worse in London.

People in Dublin are far more friendly than any other city I’ve lived in, in COVID free times you could walk into a pub in Dublin alone and end up making friends within half an hour, good luck doing that in any other country, they don’t have our warmth. The grass is not always greener

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

There are lots of beautiful places to live in Dublin - on the northside there is Howth - fishing port, marina, protected Howth Head, Sutton and Burrow Beach and the coast walks and beaches along by Sutton Martello tower & walkways winding all along the cliffs for miles, Malahide and Portmarnock and the 7k blue flag beach & others which butt onto Robswall public demense open parkland overlooking the sea. There is the 100 acre public park in Malahide and a similar sized one in Raheny (St Annes) running down to the UNESCO world hertitage protected wetland sites and Dollymount beach - which flows into the public coastal walk to Clontarf and down to Westwood Gym and 50m pool at fairview park and the edge of the city.

Judging a city by student or impoverished experiences as a struggling adult living somewhere ugly isn’t exactly fair on all the beautiful, middle class, vibrant, safe friendly suburbs that Dublin has to offer families and people. I doubt the people on here raving about how they love hime moved back to a pokey flat or tiny 1950’s house with single glazing crusted in dirt with no garden facing onto a artery road. I see many of them as I drive through ‘towns’ in Ireland. Sure - the grass is always greener at home amongst your childhood friends and extended family and who wouldn’t want a detached house in its own 1 acre garden for 800 a month (or whetever) but the price of that is usually living somewhere with few amenities, poor job and career choices, driving a car everywhere to get anywhere and the inevitable Dublin/city & flatland emigration for kids when they ‘have to’ develop and find a career or attend a proper university to have prospects or choices in life. No doubt its great to go back to where you’re from and be able to afford something lovely if your education and work will get you that there but if it wasn’t for the career start and education cities offer most wouldn’t returning heros be able to do that either.

Dublin is a beautiful city - in all the right parts - and unlike many of the drive through ‘villages’ and ‘towns’ there are beautiful free public places everyone can freely enjoy IN the city - Herbert Park, St Annes Park, the biggest city park in Europe Phoenix Park, etc and the city is ringed with beaches - not many capitol cities have that. You are not marching around the perimiter of someones farm or left just driving through pretty looking but unavailable to use private agricultural land .You don’t have to leave Dublin to find or be in beautiful places - you are already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Of course Paris and Berlin have more variety, they are insanely massive compared to tiny Dublin.
    Yeah, but I can only go ny the cities I've lived in. But even the ones of similar size had a better air of organisation.
    I’ve been to Paris 10 times. One of my favourite places to visit. First time I arrived on way to hotel I saw a man being chased through rush hour daylight traffic by another man holding a sword.

Lived in Hamburg for a year, another beautiful city (with the same antisocial problems as Dublin) so I visited Berlin quite a lot. Yes a lot of variety, but spread out way too much, and let’s not mention the ice cold winters ��

These big cities with lots of variety can be a pain to get around, even with their great public transport.

You can walk one end of Dublin City to the other in a few mins

Eh... waht two points are you talking about?!

Berlin - ubahn/sbahn can get you from form any two points in little more than an hour. Think you could do Portmarnock to Rathfarnmah or Lucan in the same time? Spread out, but easier to get to.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Think you could do Portmarnock to Tallagh in the same time? Spread out, but easier to get to.

If you got your timings right with the Dart and Luas you wouldn't be far off an hour!
    But yeah public transport here is sh*te compared to Germany, that goes without saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Jackben75

Dublin is a great city. There is no comparison in Ireland, sure Galway or Cork are nice but tiny in comparison ,Galway city is made up of no more than 3 streets and a square, don't get me wrong, i love it. Dublin in general is fine, yes there are dodgey areas but you will find that in all cities. Living in the countryside has it's benefits and again beautiful but also your in the arse of nowhere and you essentially turn in to a taxi driver for semi bored teenagers and the "local" being centre of the community more often than not

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If you got your timings right with the Dart and Luas you wouldn't be far off an hour!
    But yeah public transport here is sh*te compared to Germany, that goes without saying.

43 mins from the City center to Tallagh on its own apparently. Bad example though as they both have metro connections - anyway, you get the point :)

Anyway, I don't drive so that is kind of a big issue for me and not just the times but also the bus unreliability if you don't live near a metro station. How people don't go "Falling Down" crazy there I will never know!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Kind of weird that that came about as a result of a discussion about a Dun Laoghaire-based initiative.

No weird when you consider Joe's ego. He mains about Peats being gone; I doubt he was ever in there buying electronics.

I'm more bothered about the amount of hotels and offices that are being built in areas that were once pubs or clubs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

God, I hope you are right. But the idea of a boom seems other-worldly. Even the businesses I know are only in business to avail of state support. Once that folds, so will they.

There is a huge amount of people who have amassed substantial savings due to reduced costs (WFH/no pubs etc) and no dent to their income which is likely to be spent on consumer goods, restaurants, travel etc when possible.

Will also probably assist in either propping up or pushing up property prices as people suddenly have deposits saved.

43 mins from the City center to Tallagh on its own apparently. Bad example though as they both have metro connections - anyway, you get the point :)

Anyway, I don't drive so that is kind of a big issue for me and not just the times but also the bus unreliability if you don't live near a metro station. How people don't go "Falling Down" crazy there I will never know!

I've never owned a car in Dublin either, if you live within the M50 you can cycle to the city centre usually in 30 mins or less. It's nice and compact that way.
    Plus I'm lucky enough to live near the Dart which is a decent enough service.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I think it's the other way round: you fit the niche I was talking about earlier, and as a consequence can't see why people wouldn't like it. It's nothing to do with "ingraned since childhood" - it's exactly the opposite - it's seeing it with neutral eyes as an adult that it's not the cheeky fun-filled utopia you're led to beleive when you're young and niave.

I can see why some people wouldn't like it. If your total experience is a couple of years living in flat land or in the Inner city then you will see a lot of the worst things the city has. Equally if you are unfortunate to rent in an area with high levels of antisocial behaviour then again your experience will not be a good one. Most places are not like this though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Still better than Tipp any day of the week! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

PommieBast wrote: »
    I came to Dublin in 2013 and have decided that post-Covid I will be moving to London. Some of this is due to wanting to a fresh start post-Covid but even before the pandemic I felt that Dublin had lost the vibrant feel it had 2014-2017. The screwed-up accommodation situation that messes over landlords and tenants alike bears a lot of responsibility..

As someone that lived in London for 5 years, it ain't all that either.

Overpriced and dirty, but great for your career if you want to go for 3-5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭PommieBast

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Funny that was of my big reasons for leaving London. Post Olympics London and the post Brexit vote one were 2 very different places atmosphere wise.
    The Olympics was around the time I left for New Zealand and at the time the place felt like a bit of a shell. I don't rate the UK particularly highly and almost certainly will move on to a third country a bit later, but that is not the topic of this thread.. :)

you think London will be less screwed up accommodation wise or socially? ! Dream on!!!
    Of course not. However I have family there and the place is going to open up a hell of a lot quicker than Dublin ever will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭PommieBast

L1011 wrote: »
    There is a huge amount of people who have amassed substantial savings due to reduced costs (WFH/no pubs etc) and no dent to their income which is likely to be spent on consumer goods, restaurants, travel etc when possible.
    Flip side of the coin is how many businesses are going to collapse due to months of bills and zero revenue. Many will be soletrader/partnerships who as a result are going to lose everything. One big question is how much of the shift to online shopping is also a shift to non-Irish outlets.

• Advertisement

There is a bang of middle aged off these kip replies. It would make you laugh. I’ve lived in several cities in Ireland and abroad. I currently live in Dublin 7 and I don’t think Dublin is a kip at all. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out lads

Definitely. Also they seem to think that if you live in Dublin you have to live on Talbot street. I’ve not seen central Dublin for a year.

I love it here, but I don't plan to retire here either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

PommieBast wrote: »
    Flip side of the coin is how many businesses are going to collapse due to months of bills and zero revenue. Many will be soletrader/partnerships who as a result are going to lose everything. One big question is how much of the shift to online shopping is also a shift to non-Irish outlets.

The introduction of CRSS has let lots of smaller businesses hold on - it's actually of little use to big businesses. The number of pubs announcing they won't reopen has nearly fully gone away since for instance.

I found Copenhagen lovely to cycle around, but it's one of the most unremarkable, boring cities I've been to.
    Paris, Berlin, London etc are just on a different level to cities like Dublin, you can't really compare them.

Not really related to this thread either, as the people fleeing Dublin are, for the most part not that fond of urban locations. There are problems in the centre in all of those cities, sometimes it’s worse than Dublin. Paris has no go areas. In fact Dublin’s crime and antisocial behaviour is confined to a very small area - it seems to disappear around Grafton Street, and further south.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Dublin is a great spot, just to name some of the lovely coastal villages: howth, Sutton, malahide, Raheny, Clontarf, Sandymount, blackrock, sandycove, killiney and Dalkey. Add to that Georgian Dublin around Merrion and fitzwilliam square and lovely walks along the grand canal. Fantastic villages like Ranelagh, Rathmines, ballsbridge with great restaurants and pubs etc.

Throw into the mix some of the charm of older Dublin like parts of the liberties with Guinness and all the distilleries popping up which have really improved the area and the more regenerated areas like the docklands.

Dublin has beaches and has nearby mountains, very few capital cities in Europe have sea and mountains so close to the city centre. We also have some amazing parks like Phoenix park, St Anne’s etc. Of course like all cities there are some issues but that’s the same in all capitals

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Post-pandemic boom?

I'm expecting a recession akin to 2009. Are we all not? Jobs are currently being held in suspended animation, until reality strikes. Approx 10%-20% of the workforce isn't going to have a job to return to. I thought that was generally accepted.

God, I hope you are right. But the idea of a boom seems other-worldly. Even the businesses I know are only in business to avail of state support. Once that folds, so will they.

Yes but that 10-20% will find other jobs quickly because they are at the lower end of skills spectrum. A laid off person in tourism could easily get a job in retail for example. We will see a churn or turnover in the workforce, but i would expect unemployment to be back at 5% by middle/end of next year. The €15bn in savings will be unleashed and that will hire a lot of people.

ixoy wrote: »
    There's plenty of nice things to do, depending on where you live. I obviously am close enough to a few posters near here as I've got St. Anne's a 10 minute walk away and Bull Island nearby for leisure and there's a lot of Dublin that wouldn't have these and I can definitely see why that would make it far less attractive.
    I'm also paying a mortgage so not stuck in the rent jumps - if you were renting in your 30s, stuck with little greenery around you, it's understandable that some people might want to move out. It just doesn't hold true for all of the city.

This is something that people don’t often get about Dublin. It’s a coastal city with beaches. It’s got hill walks. A large mountain range is nearby. The whole “nothing to do but drink” just isn’t true. I’m not saying that most people take advantage but they could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

If you have ****ty neighbors, then life is hell. Regardless whether you are in Dublin or Tipperary. Moved into a housing estate 22 years ago, not in Dublin, woke up one beautiful May morning to find all the newly planted trees into the estate broken in two. So, some people just don't want anybody to live in a leafy nice neighborhood.

And, this is acceptable behaviour in Ireland. You can run away, but we need to sort this out.

This is something that people don’t often get about Dublin. It’s a coastal city with beaches. It’s got hill walks. A large mountain range is nearby. The whole “nothing to do but drink” just isn’t true. I’m not saying that most people take advantage but they could.

The walk around howth head by the cliffs must be one of the best walks in Ireland, it's stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Most people who aren't from Dublin base their perception of it on what they see when they come to Dublin for a match. They think that's where Dublin begins and ends. Their frame of reference is arguably quite limited. Dublin has beautiful places, mountain and sea areas. I know, I live in one. But, we too are looking to move, not because we think it's a kip but because we don't want to mortgage ourselves to the tune of half a million for a three bed semi for the next three decades. There's more to life than paying a mortgage. You get way more house for your money in the country.

Advertisement