Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Dublin for good

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

Post-pandemic boom?

I'm expecting a recession akin to 2009. Are we all not? Jobs are currently being held in suspended animation, until reality strikes. Approx 10%-20% of the workforce isn't going to have a job to return to. I thought that was generally accepted.

God, I hope you are right. But the idea of a boom seems other-worldly. Even the businesses I know are only in business to avail of state support. Once that folds, so will they.

Historically there has been a boom after a lot of negative world events. Then a crash afterwards. 1920s jazz age after the spanish flu. 50's boom after world war 2. People save save save when they're restricted and then go a bit (too) mad afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

endacl wrote: »
    So, just to summarize. Almost, but not entirely a kip?

:P

Its rated number one on kipadvisor

• Site Banned Posts: 4 gertyserty

PommieBast wrote: »
    I came to Dublin in 2013 and have decided that post-Covid I will be moving to London. Some of this is due to wanting to a fresh start post-Covid but even before the pandemic I felt that Dublin had lost the vibrant feel it had 2014-2017. The screwed-up accommodation situation that messes over landlords and tenants alike bears a lot of responsibility..
    you will find you will never get ahead on london your better going somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Think you get to a point in life, when any city turns into a kip.

I like Dublin, still have a place there, but..........it’s ok for short periods of time when I get home. What has changed in the past 15-20 years is that it is not really Dublin. It’s a melting pot of international people and has for me lost most of its charm, still have many friends there though.

Personally, I live now outside of a major city in the states. Rural, close community and much more relaxed. The thoughts of going into the city fill me with dread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,483 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I love Dublin, compared to other capital cities it’s most definitely not a kip
    But it is!!
    Joe Duffy rants on live radio: 'Dublin is an unadulterated kip... the city is being turned into pound shops'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

zell12 wrote: »

Kind of weird that that came about as a result of a discussion about a Dun Laoghaire-based initiative.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

There is a bang of middle aged off these kip replies. It would make you laugh. I’ve lived in several cities in Ireland and abroad. I currently live in Dublin 7 and I don’t think Dublin is a kip at all. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out lads

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,301 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I live in Dublin and near us we have a beach, a massive park and loads of amenities. During the 2k and 5k limits they were a blessing as the kids could still get out and explore. Also I had a 10 mile cycle route mapped out which didn't pass the same point twice but was contained within the 5k. With that and runs on the beach it has kept the waist line at bay somewhat over the last 12 months.
    Contrast to that I have a niece in Clare who has been badly affected by the limits as there is nothing within 5k of her other than private farmland.
    I have great neighbours, kids have nice schools, supermarket 2 mins walk from my house, train station 10 mins, live football 30 mins, friends up the road etc.
    I get that some parts are fairly bad and my normal office is in one of the worst areas in the State but I don't get the kip comments that get bandied about on these threads. I think there is just a deep resentment from people from certain parts that has been ingrained in them since childhood. You see it all the time with the parish pump politician schticking it to the lads in Dublin.
    Anyway sorry if you didn't live in a nice area but the most parts of Dublin are pleasant places to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Not sure London is the place I would choose, so many people are getting the hell out of there. The population of London fell 700,000 since last year and there was a recent survey done there among Londoners and over 400,000 also plan to leave. I find if an awful spot to be honest. If I was moving from Dublin I would at least go somewhere with a decent climate. I think Dublin is great, lots of really nice parts, like any capital city there are less nice parts. I think people will always complain about capital cities, french give out about Paris even though it’s spectacular, English people outside London tend to hate it etc. What I like about Dublin is you have the sea and mountains close by, great direct connectivity from dublin airport (during non COVID times) and while the weather is no Mediterranean it’s the driest place in Ireland. So many nice villages along the coast of Dublin. Also the population of 1.5 million makes it less of a hassle to get around but big enough to have lots to do. Any people I know that moved to Dublin from overseas loves it

quote="PommieBast;116624170"]I came to Dublin in 2013 and have decided that post-Covid I will be moving to London. Some of this is due to wanting to a fresh start post-Covid but even before the pandemic I felt that Dublin had lost the vibrant feel it had 2014-2017. The screwed-up accommodation situation that messes over landlords and tenants alike bears a lot of responsibility..[/quote]

I think Dublin is fine, bit run down in places and definitely too much anti social behaviour but for the most part i quite like it.

Personally, I could never live down the country. Being from London I find Dublin small at times, living in a town in rural Ireland would drive me insane!!

• Advertisement

“Kip” tell me, what utopias have you all moved to.

Dublin is a beautiful city, with amazing heritage and culture. Any night of the week you can go and get great entertainment.

It can be a joy to walk around on a nice day. From the Phoenix park, down along the Liffey and all the way out to Poolbeg lighthouse.

A few mins out of the city and you’re up the Dublin/Wicklow mountains, hellfire club, Tick nock, Wicklow way (best drive in Ireland) and glendalough. Great city life and in a fantastic location.

Everyday I pinch myself at how lucky I am to live here.

Judging Dublin over the last year is madness

Dublin Forever

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Much easier to leave Dublin nowadays as commuting easier and Road networks much better than when I made the move 20 years ago to Rural Laois. My initial motivation was price of housing in Dublin (Its much higher now, even accounting for the crazyness of the early to mid 2000"s.)

I made the move when you still had to drive through monasterevin and Kildare towns, it was horrendous the first 3 years as I continued to work in Swords. Eventually getting a job nearer to home.

Quality of life 1000% better, I've a humble 250 year old cottage on 2 acres on the side of the slieve bloom mountains. Whilst still a blow in 20 years later I don't think I could ever live in a built up area ever again.

Yes there's isolation, winters can be tough, forget the neighbourly touchy feely notion, it doesn't exist and even more now since the Pandemic. Get to know a good tradesman, Turf supplier & Mechanic, the rest looks after itself.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Not sure London is the place I would choose, so many people are getting the hell out of there. The population of London fell 700,000 since last year and there was a recent survey done there among Londoners and over 400,000 also plan to leave. I find if an awful spot to be honest. If I was moving from Dublin I would at least go somewhere with a decent climate. I think Dublin is great, lots of really nice parts, like any capital city there are less nice parts. I think people will always complain about capital cities, french give out about Paris even though it’s spectacular, English people outside London tend to hate it etc. What I like about Dublin is you have the sea and mountains close by, great direct connectivity from dublin airport (during non COVID times) and while the weather is no Mediterranean it’s the driest place in Ireland. So many nice villages along the coast of Dublin. Also the population of 1.5 million makes it less of a hassle to get around but big enough to have lots to do. Any people I know that moved to Dublin from overseas loves it

quote="PommieBast;116624170"]I came to Dublin in 2013 and have decided that post-Covid I will be moving to London. Some of this is due to wanting to a fresh start post-Covid but even before the pandemic I felt that Dublin had lost the vibrant feel it had 2014-2017. The screwed-up accommodation situation that messes over landlords and tenants alike bears a lot of responsibility..
    [/quote]

Obviously a large portion of those people leaving are retail workers who have no work, chances of them all coming back are slim but expect a fair few to. A couple of my friends have recently purchased houses in London, they think prices will come down a bit themselves but wouldn’t consider living anywhere else.
    Granted London is not for everyone, my wife is a born and bred Dub but she finds London too busy!!

As for the climate, it’s not Spain but after living in Ireland for a decade I now feel London is my summer holiday when I go back, ha!

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I live in Dublin and near us we have a beach, a massive park and loads of amenities. During the 2k and 5k limits they were a blessing as the kids could still get out and explore. Also I had a 10 mile cycle route mapped out which didn't pass the same point twice but was contained within the 5k. With that and runs on the beach it has kept the waist line at bay somewhat over the last 12 months.
    Contrast to that I have a niece in Clare who has been badly affected by the limits as there is nothing within 5k of her other than private farmland.
    I have great neighbours, kids have nice schools, supermarket 2 mins walk from my house, train station 10 mins, live football 30 mins, friends up the road etc.
    I get that some parts are fairly bad and my normal office is in one of the worst areas in the State but I don't get the kip comments that get bandied about on these threads. I think there is just a deep resentment from people from certain parts that has been ingrained in them since childhood. You see it all the time with the parish pump politician schticking it to the lads in Dublin.
    Anyway sorry if you didn't live in a nice area but the most parts of Dublin are pleasant places to live in.

I think it's the other way round: you fit the niche I was talking about earlier, and as a consequence can't see why people wouldn't like it. It's nothing to do with "ingraned since childhood" - it's exactly the opposite - it's seeing it with neutral eyes as an adult that it's not the cheeky fun-filled utopia you're led to beleive when you're young and niave.

That said, I never called it a kip :)

“Kip” tell me, what utopias have you all moved to.

Lived in Paris, Copenhagen and Berlin. While I wouldn't call any of them a "utopia" (doesn't exist anyway) all of them have more variety that Dublin, better public transport and something at least similar to what's below.
    Dublin is a beautiful city, with amazing heritage and culture. Any night of the week you can go and get great entertainment.

It can be a joy to walk around on a nice day. From the Phoenix park, down along the Liffey and all the way out to Poolbeg lighthouse.

A few mins out of the city and you’re up the Dublin/Wicklow mountains, hellfire club, Tick nock, Wicklow way (best drive in Ireland) and glendalough. Great city life and in a fantastic location.

Everyday I pinch myself at how lucky I am to live here.

Judging Dublin over the last year is madness

Dublin Forever

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭whippet

I left Dublin about 9 years ago with a young family. We both work from home and it was the best move we ever made.

I had nothing against Dublin but I never really enjoyed living in an urban environment... so now I’m about an hour away from Dublin in a fairly rural setting on the coast with all the amenities I could want near by .. quality of life is far better and of course far cheaper !!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I've lived in a few cities, London for years, and I loved it there. Dublin isn't the best city in the world but I think it's far more lively and interesting than most cities of a similar size tbh. I'm lucky enough to live near St Anne's park and the sea, and have my own place, and I'm very grateful for that.

The North Inner City, around O'Connell St/Talbot/Connolly has issues yes, but parts of the North Inner City are really nice. I was in town yesterday walking around Grafton/South William St/Drury St etc and it's looking so good lately, they've done a lot of resurfacing work and cleaned the place up.

People from the rest of Ireland often have this IT'S A F*CKING KIP attitude towards the place, but I think it says more of your experience of the place than the city itself. I just try and make the most of it anyway, there's lots to do here and places to go, and it doesn't rain as much as the rest of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭Hamachi

NSAman wrote: »
    I like Dublin, still have a place there, but..........it’s ok for short periods of time when I get home. What has changed in the past 15-20 years is that it is not really Dublin. It’s a melting pot of international people and has for me lost most of its charm, still have many friends there though.

This. Dublin now has a very similar vibe to London. A quite transitory place with lots of people with no connection or roots here, passing through for a few years. In my view, it creates a pretty sterile atmosphere.

Loved Dublin when I moved here for college 20 years ago. Returned in 2014, but don’t feel the same way about the place. Partially, I think it’s because I’m living in area I don’t like and would rather leave. I’m sure it’s an entirely different experience if you live in an affluent south side area where you have nice amenities on your door step and your neighbors are decent people, who are employed and speak English..

Lived in Paris, Copenhagen and Berlin. While I wouldn't call any of them a "utopia" (doesn't exist anyway) all of them have more variety that Dublin, better public transport and something at least similar to what's below.

I found Copenhagen lovely to cycle around, but it's one of the most unremarkable, boring cities I've been to.
    Paris, Berlin, London etc are just on a different level to cities like Dublin, you can't really compare them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,471 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I came to Dublin in 2013 and have decided that post-Covid I will be moving to London. Some of this is due to wanting to a fresh start post-Covid but even before the pandemic I felt that Dublin had lost the vibrant feel it had 2014-2017. The screwed-up accommodation situation that messes over landlords and tenants alike bears a lot of responsibility..

Funny that was of my big reasons for leaving London. Post Olympics London and the post Brexit vote one were 2 very different places atmosphere wise.

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Funny that was of my big reasons for leaving London. Post Olympics London and the post Brexit vote one were 2 very different places atmosphere wise.

I was there during the Olympics, I worked in the West End and it was like a ghost town while the games were on. The city is so big it was barely noticeable that the Olympics were even happening as I never went near Stratford really.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Left in August last year. Serious rent for a postage stamp. Me working from a sofa bed, her from a tiny 2 person dining table in the living/dining area. Bought a house in corks 'most desirable locale' (according to some). 4 bed. 2 mins from the river, 15 min cycle from town. Mortgage is €200 less than Dublin rent. Happy days .

Of course Paris and Berlin have more variety, they are insanely massive compared to tiny Dublin.

I’ve been to Paris 10 times. One of my favourite places to visit. First time I arrived on way to hotel I saw a man being chased through rush hour daylight traffic by another man holding a sword.

Lived in Hamburg for a year, another beautiful city (with the same antisocial problems as Dublin) so I visited Berlin quite a lot. Yes a lot of variety, but spread out way too much, and let’s not mention the ice cold winters 🥶

These big cities with lots of variety can be a pain to get around, even with their great public transport.

You can walk one end of Dublin City to the other in a few mins

Another thing is there aren't many booming cities where you can find work easily enough that don't have an accommodation crisis, it seems to be hand in hand with cities people want to live in nowadays. London, Vancouver, Melbourne etc. all have accommodation crises. Even Berlin nowadays, I know not so long ago it was easy enough to get cheap places there.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Non Dubliner here who had lived there (on and off) for 14 years.

Dublin is a brilliant place to be in your 20s, great nightlife, great job opportunities, and it is great experiencing all it has to offer. I do think it is important to live someplace other than your hometown even for a year or two. That said it is very much overpriced, and there is a huge drug problem, and anti social behaviour element to it that I don't miss.

Moved home to the countryside a year ago, and would never return. The quality of life is amazing. Open countryside and brilliant walks within my 5k. Get to see family every day and have extended family dotted in the county. When the 5k limit opens up the, beach and mountains are both a 15 minute drive.

I wouldn't call Dublin a kip, but I certainly wouldn't move back.

London is such a rip off though and the people always seem miserable. A friend of mine pays 2k per month in rent and has to commute 45 mins, doesn’t even live in city centre. They get the occasional heat wave but the summers are greatly exaggerated. They have lived there over 10 years and said it rains most of the year and while they get some warm summer weather, there is no consistency to it like the continent. Look at Wimbledon every year, half it is rain delays and that is early July

Obviously a large portion of those people leaving are retail workers who have no work, chances of them all coming back are slim but expect a fair few to. A couple of my friends have recently purchased houses in London, they think prices will come down a bit themselves but wouldn’t consider living anywhere else.
    Granted London is not for everyone, my wife is a born and bred Dub but she finds London too busy!!

As for the climate, it’s not Spain but after living in Ireland for a decade I now feel London is my summer holiday when I go back, ha![/quote]

Moved to Dublin in 1994, here ever since.
    What I require has changed over the years, but I find Dublin has provided me with whatever I need.
    I think many of these people moving down the country are couples or families with young kids.
    There is such a variety of things to do. Places to go, groups to meet, classes to attend in Dublin that you would never be bored. You have the sea and the mountains and I live beside the Phoenix park. It's what you make of it.

I have lived others places and Dublin may not be the best city in the world but it's a hell of a lot better then living in some small rural town with nothing to do!

Paris is a league above the rest because it’s just so stunning. Everywhere you walk is like a postcard. Nowhere comes close in terms of beautiful capital cities, Stockholm is spectacular too but there is less to do than Paris. I like Copenhagen a lot but Dublin has more variety. The good thing about Copenhagen though is you can take a train east and you are in Sweden in 30 mins and you can equally take a train into Germany
    I found Copenhagen lovely to cycle around, but it's one of the most unremarkable, boring cities I've been to.
    Paris, Berlin, London etc are just on a different level to cities like Dublin, you can't really compare them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

you think London will be less screwed up accommodation wise or socially? ! Dream on!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Ah lets not do the townie vs culchie thing, shall we?

I am from a very small town with a big Dublin population nearby (Cloughjordan eco village, actually) , and the only thing that demarcates the outsiders from the Dubs is their ability to mix.

Most people get along like a thatch on fire.

Are you saying the eco heads in cloughjordan exo village don’t mix or the local locals don’t mix? Confused.

Advertisement