Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stevo Timothy (Farmer Michael) Removed from Facebook for Hate Speech

Options
  • 28-10-2020 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Farmer Michael has been removed from Facebook for hate speech, apparently due to a recent video he posted to the site.

He had 380,000 followers or so and is trying desperately to get back on.

I've seen the video - seems harsh, even if he isnt at all funny imho.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

What did he say that was deemed ‘hate speech’?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Just googled it there to see who he is, it’s the lad that roars into the camera, kitchen comedy as my dad would have called it. He has no idea why he was deleted but says that his life work was on Facebook and all videos/sketches lost..... that speaks volumes, I keep all my best work on Facebook too, seems like a ideal storage place for years of work.........

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Seems like a nice guy, a lot going on for him the past few months and obviously has a large following.
    Some of this stuff could be edgy enough but there's plenty comedians out there worse then him.
    I hope this gets resolved as he has spent a long time building that following.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

gogo wrote: »
    Just googled it there to see who he is, it’s the lad that roars into the camera, kitchen comedy as my dad would have called it. He has no idea why he was deleted but says that his life work was on Facebook and all videos/sketches lost..... that speaks volumes, I keep all my best work on Facebook too, seems like a ideal storage place for years of work.........

I’ve only heard of him on here, on the ‘Unfunny Comedians’ and the ‘Inexplicably Cant Stand’ threads.

Although, it would appear to be, very, “explicable” in the latter. Would be interested to know what he said.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Theres a video where his daughter says she has a black boyfriend and he keeps saying he doesn't like the look of him, the punchline being that the boyfriend is English. I presumed that was the video that got him in hot water?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭John Frank Wilson

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    Theres a video where his daughter says she has a black boyfriend and he keeps saying he doesn't like the look of him, the punchline being that the boyfriend is English. I presumed that was the video that got him in hot water?

That's quite funny, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OnlyWayIsUp

It was actually a funny sketch... and it was obviously humour. I don’t believe for a second that “Sir Stevo” is either racist or xenophobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Halenvaneddie

Cancel culture strikes again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

the english dont take kindly to laughing at themselves apparantly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It was actually a funny sketch... and it was obviously humour. I don’t believe for a second that “Sir Stevo” is either racist or xenophobic.

Good god no ,he's a rock solid member of the WOKE community

I think the truth is he was banned for crimes against humour

He's that unfunny

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

A small loss, to be fair. Himself and that Cian Twomey are the same breed of one trick pony.

His ex-missus considered herself as an Irish version of the Kardashians. Welp.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,206 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He be stilll be on the you-toob.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Regardless of whether you think he’s funny or not is irrelevant really and not the issue. He made a relatively inoffensive gag that satirised a conservative auld fella having a culture shock - like the video wasn’t making fun of black people or whatever.

This type of thing is pernicious nonsense, it creates and fosters division and suspicion, it stifles the arts and it poisons any sort of discussion on real and substantive issues.

The guy mightn’t be to your taste but he’s entitled to make a living making funny/not funny videos and now he can’t because of a few screaming bedwetters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Farmer Michael has been removed from Facebook for hate speech, apparently due to a recent video he posted to the site.

He had 380,000 followers or so and is trying desperately to get back on.

I've seen the video - seems harsh, even if he isnt at all funny imho.

This is why you should have your own website. Somewhere you can go if Youtube/Facebook/Google tries to shut you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

FTA69 wrote: »
    Regardless of whether you think he’s funny or not is irrelevant really and not the issue. He made a relatively inoffensive gag that satirised a conservative auld fella having a culture shock - like the video wasn’t making fun of black people or whatever.

This type of thing is pernicious nonsense, it creates and fosters division and suspicion, it stifles the arts and it poisons any sort of discussion on real and substantive issues.

The guy mightn’t be to your taste but he’s entitled to make a living making funny/not funny videos and now he can’t because of a few screaming bedwetters.

I have to agree. Not my cup of tea but hard to believe anyone was offended by it and even if they were no-one has the right to never be offended.

Totally harmless video.

He'll get the page back.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

It's a straight lift from Bridget & Eamon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

FTA69 wrote: »
    now he can’t because of a few screaming bedwetters.
    Years back and not just in Ireland we had the religious pearl clutching over so many things. Now they've largely buggered off and most celebrate that, but the gene for being a busybody, controlling, upholder of "morals" crawthumper never went away, it just changed its faith.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

the english dont take kindly to laughing at themselves apparantly

English comedy strongly begs to differ... so much of English comedy is focused on laughing at England and its inhabitants.

Monty Python, Yes Minister, Royal Family, Brass Eye, Not the 9 o'clock news, The New Statesman, Spitting Image, Ali G, etc.

Regarding the person in question, no idea who they are, but itnis a very foolish thing to keep all your work on a social media platform.

• Advertisement

"That Zuckerburg lad has taken me off the facebook Kathleen.."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Their servers their right. And for the record I'm a big fan of offensive comedy and free speech. Oppose cancel culture too.

All that said, if I were somehow to be able to put videos up on fox and I started spouting the merits of communism I'd expect to be equally denied use of their company's hardware.

Likewise sky or al jazeera, or whoever. Go on a site owned and run by people of whatever stripe, say something they dont like, and off you go.

If it says no shoes no shirt no service then either wear a shirt and shoes or simply dont go there. And dont cry if they say no. Facebook dont owe you anything - including an explanation.

One day soon enough technology will move on and facebook will be another myspace/bebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Not my cup of tea at all but it's a sign of the times we are in, and very scary times they are.

Entertainment is becoming more and more sanitised now; art and self expression is naturally the antithesis of a staid santised existence; if people can't create, regardless of the artistic merit, then it is actually a kind of repression that is being foisted upon people from what is a loud minority funny enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Psychlops

A small loss, to be fair. Himself and that Cian Twomey are the same breed of one trick pony.

His ex-missus considered herself as an Irish version of the Kardashians. Welp.

Has he broken up with "Kathleen"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Pretty sure it was the video where he's chasing down a black guy in his car and not the daughters boyfriend video.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Psychlops wrote: »
    Has he broken up with "Kathleen"?

few months ago iirc, you'd have your head wrecked because of him after a while
    ....i think i heard there was some insta stories of him whinging about it or him making a show out of himself about it....
    The Twomey's missus thinks shes a kardashian/super influencer too, but despite Cian hawking it all the time she hasnt taken off

As much as I despise all that PC bull****, the world will be a better place without his “comedy” in it. He’s horrendous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

His humour style is not my cup of tea at all.

Saying that, he seems like a thoroughly decent skin who has his heart in the right place and does quite a bit of fundraising etc. So for that alone, I hope he gets this sorted quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

COVID wrote: »
    It's a straight lift from Bridget & Eamon.

It never ceases to amaze me how blatant joke stealing is still seen as ok among Irish comedians. Brendan O Carroll has based his whole career around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It must have been animal abuse.

He’s been flogging that dead horse for years now.

Advertisement