Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does anyone REALLY believe that the Earth is flat?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I've a friend who 100% believes the earth is flat, I asked her why the water doesn't just flow the edge and apparently there is a giant ice wall around the earth

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I've a friend who 100% believes the earth is flat, I asked her why the water doesn't just flow the edge and apparently there is a giant ice wall around the earth

That's well and good for now, but when global warming really kicks in....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Well we also have people who believe chocolate milk comes directly from brown cows, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,406 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A €20 return foot passenger ferry ticket to Holyhead and back would tell you it's not flat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

PsychoPete wrote: »

Do they get their maps from Civilization games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

drake70 wrote: »

Would have been easier to use the suez and Panama canals.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

For anyone interested in realife flat earth realities - Read the DiscWorld series by Terry Prachett :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I once went on a few dates with a girl who I rather liked, very pretty. I can't remember how it came up, but she told me one night out for something to eat, "I don't believe in dinosaurs".

I asked her what she meant, it's a strange thing to say. "I just don't believe in them, they weren't real, they didn't exist"... but.. but, there's fossils, hard evidence, they existed a long time ago! "No, I'm tired of people trying to convince me that they were real, they were made up for cartoons and films and childrens books".

The blooming romance fizzled out fairly rapidly that evening. Some things I cannot see past, I could never pretend that I was cool with that thought process!!

The blooming romance fizzled out fairly rapidly that evening. Some things I cannot see past, I could never pretend that I was cool with that thought process!!

I think that was her way of avoiding having to say, 'It's not you, it's me.' ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tjdaly

I once went on a few dates with a girl who I rather liked, very pretty. I can't remember how it came up, but she told me one night out for something to eat, "I don't believe in dinosaurs".

I asked her what she meant, it's a strange thing to say. "I just don't believe in them, they weren't real, they didn't exist"... but.. but, there's fossils, hard evidence, they existed a long time ago! "No, I'm tired of people trying to convince me that they were real, they were made up for cartoons and films and childrens books".

Funny, I would have found that cool and intriguing. You clearly weren't meant for her, and perhaps have a controlling impulse when it comes to women. Your road or the high road it would seem. Then again, my girlfriend also doesn't believe dinosaurs were real. Doesn't bother me one bit, we riff on all sorts of topics.

Most of these things are a useful exercise in skepticism in my opinion. Whereas many on boards will just see it as an excuse to point and laugh from the sidelines, group bonding at its finest, read into that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

And what's holding up the elephants, eh?

It's elephants all the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

tjdaly wrote: »
    Funny, I would have found that cool and intriguing. You clearly weren't meant for her, and perhaps have a controlling impulse when it comes to women. Your road or the high road it would seem. Then again, my girlfriend also doesn't believe dinosaurs were real. Doesn't bother me one bit, we riff on all sorts of topic.

Talk about conjecture.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It's elephants all the way down.

Nope - it's turtles all the way down. Maybe there are elephants on turtles but the turtle is yer man.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Nope - it's turtles all the way down. Maybe there are elephants on turtles but the turtle is yer man.

Well at least someone got the reference.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Well at least someone got the reference.

ITISYOSU
    I
    TAKE-IT
    I
    SET
    YOU
    OR
    SOMEONE
    UP

But, I arsed it up. It's turtles all the way down. Morto!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Do they get their maps from Civilization games?

She tried to make me watch a 90 minute youtube video as "proof"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Flat here on my offshore island on mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

To take the OP's question seriously for a second, the flat earth society is mostly a combination of people there for the lolz, contrarians who want to be different, a number of grifters looking to make bank off of the whole thing and a small number of true believers. If you watch a few flat earth videos and read the comments, you'll begin to notice a few common themes.

One is an inability to grasp scale. They simply can't get their heads around how massive the Earth and Solar Syatem is.
    Two is their $h!tty "experiments" that mess up numbers, have no control and ignore any variables that don't suit them ("water on spinning tennis ball" and "water always finds it's level" bieng two examples). They also infamously covered up results that prove the opposite of a flat earth.
    Three is that they usually lean super religious and try to cite the bible as evidence for a flat earth. Ive gotten into a couple of discussions with flat earthers online and it always comes back to Jesus with them...always.
    Four is that there is a strong willingness to believe any and every conspiracy theory going. Chemtrails, 5G masts, fake moon landing...all of it. This allows them to all believe each others contradictory bull$h!t as they go further down the rabbit hole to unexplain the world. It currently stands as...

The earth is a flat disc with the North pole at it's centre. Around the outer edge is a game of thrones style ice wall that we know as Antarctica. Beyond that there may or may not be more continents full of mineral wealth. Antarctica is off limits due to the antarctic treaty and full of milliraty patrols who dissapear anyone who finds out the truth. All of this is covered is a Simpsons-movie-style giant dome called the firmament that keeps the atmosphere from escaping. It goes much, much deeper than that but you get the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I mean REALLY????

We believe that it's a flat globe.

Ok????

Jesus (woops)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

COVID wrote: »
    You probably think you're really clever saying that, but Bill Gates, 5G, Vaccines, etc. Whereas, Jim Corr, David Icke and the rest, one of them even smiled at the camera when he was on TV, which of course, is controlled by Jeff Bezos and George Soros. C.O.V.I.D.-19
    Conspiracy
    Of
    Vicious
    International
    Demagogues

...haven't quite worked out what the '19' represents, but I'll have a bash after I have me tea.

CLOWN

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭jenneyk19

next you will be telling me there's no god

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

dimensions are up, down, right, left, and time. and now there may be 10 more dimensions, at least.
    and so, Jesus may actually have walked on water.

I'll tell you, I never got the big fuss about Jesus walking on water. I can walk on my lake three months of the year here, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Would have been easier to use the suez and Panama canals.

Not if you want to keep the element of surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

We're lucky to be alive. That big wind yesterday could have blown the disc on to a vertical axis, and we would all have fallen off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Feisar wrote: »
    No but it's amazing how gravity effects ones perception of upright.

If a person was standing at the south pole and they could be viewed from space would they appear upside down?

It depends on of the viewer from space is upside down or not. It's all about perspective :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Of course it’s flat. How else could we build houses and skyscrapers?? The only part of earth that is not flat is in Pisa and look at how that turned out. Everyone thought pizza was round too, last time I ordered it came as a square.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I mean REALLY????
    Yep, there's a whole movement of them. They have flat earth conventions. They even have a flat earth dating app.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,558 ✭✭✭✭briany

Great documentary out about Flat Earth called 'Behind the Curve'. Learned a lot about the makeup of this movement.

For one thing, FE is not a unified church. You have your people who believe it's a flat disc. Others believe it's a curved disc. Others believe that the flat earth is but one region on an infinite plain. These factions do not particularly like one another and in some cases they believe that the other factions are exactly as bad as their believed conspiracy of the round earth.

What's hilarious is that some of these Flat Earthers are becoming so cocky that they're now conducting research to prove their hypothesis. One such experiment involved buying an outrageously expensive laser gyroscope (20,000 dollars) to disprove the idea of a spinning earth (Flat Earthers typically believe in a geocentric cosmological model). After finding that the gyro drifted 15 degrees per hour, they decided to hush up the result and tried to convince themselves that some sort of interference was happening.

Psychologically, it's also interesting. One guy who became the sort-of spokesman for the movement found himself going from a nobody to somebody. He had respect, and he also had the prospect of romance with a woman as deeply into the movement as he. You can see the sunk cost principle at work, here. Hard for him to walk from all his friends and standing. He basically admits as much in the documentary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Do all those religious weirdoes who think there's a place in the sky that is "Heaven", do they think the earth is flat?

Advertisement