Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Always on“ smart watch

Options
  • 18-10-2020 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,507 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a smart watch that is “always on” ?

I like the look of smart watches but hate the fact that you have to “wake” them or even wrist flick to see the time.

Budget: about 50 Euro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Battery life is normally terrible on the always on mode, make sure you read the fine print on battery life

€50? I think you'd struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭This is it

At that price point the battery will last a couple of hours before you've to charge it with always on, of you could even find one. It would depend on the features you want on the smart watch too but for €50 I'd expect a pedometer at best

• Registered Users Posts: 5,507 ✭✭✭obi604

Any thoughts on the Amazfit Bip S?

Bit over budget but looks ok

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085TX4QXV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_eocJFbGRPKWX6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

obi604 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a smart watch that is “always on” ?

I like the look of smart watches but hate the fact that you have to “wake” them or even wrist flick to see the time.

Budget: about 50 Euro

I had that and I returned it for a full refund.

After a few days I noticed it burned all the skin on my wrist.

I never have sensitive skin.

I left a bad review on Amazon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I had that and I returned it for a full refund.

After a few days I noticed it burned all the skin on my wrist.

I never have sensitive skin.

I left a bad review on Amazon

Sure that isn't just the silicon straps? They are very poor at dispersing sweat and come with all the watches. I always get different straps because of it.

Any thoughts on the Amazfit Bip S?

Bit over budget but looks ok

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085TX4QXV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_eocJFbGRPKWX6

I did 20 minutes of research and found that one too. But the downside is that it looks absolutely poxy :pac:

Cienciano wrote: »
    I did 20 minutes of research and found that one too. But the downside is that it looks absolutely poxy :pac:

Looks like any other smart watch really ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

It won't be within your budget but I recall seeing a Seiko that uses e-ink techology like a Kindle with a battery life of 2 years. I'm sure there are other options out there, for example:

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

Here's another e-ink.

We should pool money and send one of us to Japan to do some shopping for the group. They have all the great gadgets. :D

https://first-flight.sony.com/pj/feswatch-u

• Advertisement

Nice one. Keep them coming. The budget may change :)

The Fossil Hybrid HR looks great. I've been thinking about a smartwatch recently and its e-ink display looks like a nice middle ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sure that isn't just the silicon straps? They are very poor at dispersing sweat and come with all the watches. I always get different straps because of it.
    I had an Amazfit watch a couple of years ago that did the same. It very definitely wasn't the strap but the HR sensor. Was out on a hike and felt a burning sensation on my wrist. Took the watch off and found a big blister right under the sensor. The little bulge where the sensor is developed a gap around the edge as if it had overheated and was coming away from the body of the watch. Bought a Garmin instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

By the way if anyone's interested I have an original Pebble gathering dust. Takes some effort to get it working now that Pebble are no more but it can be done.

A hybrid watch might be the way to go if you want battery life

Cienciano wrote: »
    A hybrid watch might be the way to go if you want battery life

What does a hybrid mean exactly with watches?

Physical watch hands. Longer battery life. Far more limited in smart functions but pass as normal watches.

This fossil for example that I mentioned above. You can change the complications or remove them. It's an e ink display and you can upload any grey scale sort of image for a background. The display is really easy to see in bright light because of the tech. Same as a Kindle.

qnKsK3q.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Basically a watch usually analogue face with limited smart features. May not even have a screen.

Physical watch hands. Longer battery life. Far more limited in smart functions but pass as normal watches.

This fossil for example that I mentioned above. You can change the complications or remove them. It's an e ink display and you can upload any grey scale sort of image for a background. The display is really easy to see in bright light because of the tech. Same as a Kindle.

qnKsK3q.jpg

Does that do notifications and vibration alerts?

beauf wrote: »
    Does that do notifications and vibration alerts?

Yeah, you can read notifications and it vibrates. If your research the watch, you'll see people saying there are only 13 apps supported for notifications. It supports all now.

Thinking of picking it up after a bit more research.

• Advertisement

Cheers. I might get one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Check out a Garmin Forerunner 45s.

Display always on.

Great watch, I happen to be selling one as it happens! 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

1st dabs on being that person to go to Japan..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭theintern

Garmins have great always on battery life. Mine (Epix) has been in always on mode since I bought it. Expensive though.

Advertisement