Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
10-02-2019, 10:39   #586
AndrewJRenko
Registered User
 
AndrewJRenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 6,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolanbaker View Post
I assume that there is a preference option there somewhere to choose units.
Don't forget the Americans still use Fahrenheit!

THere is a preference option to change it. But why would the default setting be the obsolete, imperial method? Just seems sloppy.


There was some dumb Senator calling on them to use MPH as well as KMPH in their storm warnings to help the old people, so the issue of units has come to their attention.



Why default to the old method, instead of the current one?
AndrewJRenko is offline  
Advertisement
10-02-2019, 12:08   #587
dolanbaker
Moderator
 
dolanbaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 21,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJRenko View Post
Why default to the old method, instead of the current one?
Old habits die hard, more likely developed in the US or adapted from a US app.
dolanbaker is offline  
10-02-2019, 15:32   #588
Franz Von Peppercorn
Registered User
 
Franz Von Peppercorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 6,716
Regarding the app. It’s a pretty well designed app in my view although would like to change the order of some of the summary page.
Franz Von Peppercorn is offline  
10-02-2019, 19:13   #589
AndrewJRenko
Registered User
 
AndrewJRenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 6,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolanbaker View Post
Old habits die hard, more likely developed in the US or adapted from a US app.

Just realised it was my error - it was the UK Met Office app I had installed, not the Met EIreann one.


Apologies for any confusion.


Can anyone find the Met Eireann app on the Play store? All I can find is the old Fusio one from last year.
AndrewJRenko is offline  
10-02-2019, 19:47   #590
dolanbaker
Moderator
 
dolanbaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 21,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJRenko View Post
Just realised it was my error - it was the UK Met Office app I had installed, not the Met EIreann one.


Apologies for any confusion.


Can anyone find the Met Eireann app on the Play store? All I can find is the old Fusio one from last year.
Oh well, that explains the default units, UK still unable to transition between the two units
dolanbaker is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-02-2019, 21:30   #591
Oneiric 3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,816
Why was an 'update' advertised when there is no update to be had?

Rarely use it anyway. As mentioned above, no access to nationwide current conditions, except, in my case, a generic reading for 'Galway', courtesy of Mace Hd readings, that bears no relation to temp, humidity or wind speed in the east of the county pretty much most of the time, which is sad, as pretty much most 3rd party apps are actually better for showing current conditions closer to home at any one time.
Oneiric 3 is offline  
10-02-2019, 21:35   #592
JCX BXC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 15,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
Why was an 'update' advertised when there is no update to be had?

Rarely use it anyway. As mentioned above, no access to nationwide current conditions, except, in my case, a generic reading for 'Galway', courtesy of Mace Hd readings, that bears no relation to temp, humidity or wind speed in the east of the county pretty much most of the time, which is sad, as pretty much most 3rd party apps are actually better for showing current conditions closer to home at any one time.
My Galway always gives Athenry.
JCX BXC is offline  
10-02-2019, 21:45   #593
Oneiric 3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCX BXC View Post
My Galway always gives Athenry.
My 'current conditions' are reading 8.0c, with light rain.

It is dry here currently with temp of 6.5c. UK based 'WeatherPro' app, is showing broken cloud and 7.0c at present. So once again, closer to the mark.
Oneiric 3 is offline  
10-02-2019, 21:55   #594
kc56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
My 'current conditions' are reading 8.0c, with light rain.

It is dry here currently with temp of 6.5c. UK based 'WeatherPro' app, is showing broken cloud and 7.0c at present. So once again, closer to the mark.
"Current conditions" on Met Eireann apps/web are reports from the nearest weather station; Athenry is nearest Galway.
kc56 is offline  
Advertisement
10-02-2019, 21:58   #595
Oneiric 3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc56 View Post
"Current conditions" on Met Eireann apps/web are reports from the nearest weather station; Athenry is nearest Galway.
Except, as I have stated, this is not quite the case... in my case.
Oneiric 3 is offline  
10-02-2019, 22:06   #596
kc56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
Except, as I have stated, this is not quite the case... in my case.
If I select Galway City as the location, the data is from Athenry (2100, cloudy, 7C)
kc56 is offline  
10-02-2019, 22:24   #597
Oneiric 3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc56 View Post
If I select Galway City as the location, the data is from Athenry (2100, cloudy, 7C)
I am just a little over 15 miles north of Athenry, and just little over 15 miles SE of Claremorris. I am 45 miles NE of Mace Hd.

Other stations I would actually be closer to than Mace Hd:
Newport
Knock Apt
Mt. Dillon.
Oneiric 3 is offline  
11-02-2019, 19:53   #598
AndrewJRenko
Registered User
 
AndrewJRenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 6,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolanbaker View Post
Oh well, that explains the default units, UK still unable to transition between the two units

That would be it all right. Does anyone have a link to the met.ie Android app please?
AndrewJRenko is offline  
11-02-2019, 21:25   #599
kc56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJRenko View Post
That would be it all right. Does anyone have a link to the met.ie Android app please?
Link at the bottom of the met.ie home-page.
kc56 is offline  
Thanks from:
12-02-2019, 10:11   #600
pauldry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,445
Met now putting kph beside wind speeds in brackets

good move
pauldry is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet