Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 Open sea swim calendar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭mad m

Kilmartin swim today in bray is cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

mad m wrote: »
    Kilmartin swim today in bray is cancelled.

just heard myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

What that choppy or wha'? Great great great fun bashing and mashing after the yellow bouy. I was tired and cranky and cold before tonights swim, but came out of the water a new man. 78th tonight off 3:15, but who cares about that, its all about the immediacy of catching or being caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭swimmer_hoop

Grizz wrote: »
    Please excuse my ignorance, but would a suit like that not give advantage over a bare chest?

Yep, as would a leg suit over jammers, high tech jammers over thick jammers, jammers over speedos, speedos over drag suits and drag suits over board shorts. The suit in the pic does not even come close to a wetsuit though for helping in the water.

The official FINA rule for Open Water Swimming is that the suit mist be made of textile material, i.e. Not rubber, neoprene, plastic etc, and (unlike in the race pool) can go past the knee and above the hips but can't have a zip or a clasp closing device.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Grizz

Yep, as would a leg suit over jammers, high tech jammers over thick jammers, jammers over speedos, speedos over drag suits and drag suits over board shorts. The suit in the pic does not even come close to a wetsuit though for helping in the water.

The official FINA rule for Open Water Swimming is that the suit mist be made of textile material, i.e. Not rubber, neoprene, plastic etc, and (unlike in the race pool) can go past the knee and above the hips but can't have a zip or a clasp closing device.

Many thanks Swimmer hoop for the detailed reply. I'm new to all this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

looking at the howdidyouswim.com site, I can see one or two "dark horse" entries shaping up for the Liffey.

Its a long wait till Monday next !!!

Freddio wrote: »
    looking at the howdidyouswim.com site, I can see one or two "dark horse" entries shaping up for the Liffey.

Its a long wait till Monday next !!!

Yeah so did I, one went off 5:15 last sunday and should of easily got up there if not win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

"Please collect your hats and shirts for the Liffey Swim on Monday 8th September between 7.00pm and 8.30pm at Irishtown Stadium. "

First time doing the Liffey Swim, and based far from Irishtown- can you pick up your hat on the day of the swim? (I presume the shirt is a momento, so same Qs. for that although I'm more concerned with the mandatory hat...)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    "Please collect your hats and shirts for the Liffey Swim on Monday 8th September between 7.00pm and 8.30pm at Irishtown Stadium. "

First time doing the Liffey Swim, and based far from Irishtown- can you pick up your hat on the day of the swim? (I presume the shirt is a momento, so same Qs. for that although I'm more concerned with the mandatory hat...)

Well the shirt your meant to wear on the day, sponsors (Dublin City Council). I've seen people being given their hat and shirt on the day of registering. Best bet is to email open sea committee at leinsteropenseacommittee@gmail.com and say you can't make it or I'll be down there getting my own plus other team members, just let me know your name and shirt size.

There were a few lads who missed the last buoy today and took the short route home. I've never seen this before and am just wondering how much of this goes on under our noses?

• Advertisement

There were a few lads who missed the last buoy today and took the short route home. I've never seen this before and am just wondering how much of this goes on under our noses?

I'd say normally this wouldn't happen, after all it was a charity swim and not a competitive one. I'd say if it was a competitive one Frank would of disqualified them.

Bloody goy stung today, in ribbons, twitching like mad plus arm is on fire. Hopefully this ice pack on it will help. I feel a long night in store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

More than you'd like to think, there's a certain lad who skipped two bouys in the harbour and came very close to winning it, the same lad went off 1min before his handicap in the island swim!

The swim in bray last night, when they were calling out the handicaps completly missed out 5:45, meaning a few lads were 15 seconds worse off than they should have been.

slinky2000 wrote: »
    More than you'd like to think, there's a certain lad who skipped two bouys in the harbour and came very close to winning it, the same lad went off 1min before his handicap in the island swim!

The swim in bray last night, when they were calling out the handicaps completly missed out 5:45, meaning a few lads were 15 seconds worse off than they should have been.

Wow...I can imagine who it is. But how the hell did he skip two buoys in harbour? Were these the two up near lighthouse?

I got fried by a f@&!er just after the first turn right. I can feel your pain mad_m

I got fried by a f@&!er just after the first turn right. I can feel your pain mad_m

I had a spray I got in States I could of given you some, don't know if it would be any use but last time I got stung I was in a much worse state than I am now so it must work a bit. Paul Byrne got hit over his arm and body....not a nice feeling this....

@Freddio,

Do you know why they changed it today with it being no points? I heard some club ( not yours ) complained, so open sea changed it.

@Freddio,

Do you know why they changed it today with it being no points? I heard some club ( not yours ) complained, so open sea changed it.
    I heard it was because the ladies felt it was too much to have three points races on a weekend with two of them being unscheduled and the other being the harbour so close to the end of the season but I don't know how much merit there is in what I heard.

I've never seen the handicaps so low on a few swimmers today. I'd nearly predict who will win the Liffey swim from these results today. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

I've never seen the handicaps so low on a few swimmers today. I'd nearly predict who will win the Liffey swim from these results today. :mad:

Won't be me anyway after today! Too many people takin it handy today protecting their handicaps!

slinky2000 wrote: »
    Won't be me anyway after today! Too many people takin it handy today protecting their handicaps!

Yeah what were you thinking.:)

• Advertisement

I'm sure Frank is fully aware of what's going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

are the handicaps up yet ?

I'm sure Frank is fully aware of what's going on

Do you want to back track that saying now!!!

Cant see handicaps up yet, id say later on today.

http://leinsteropensea.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Liffey-Handicap-2014.pdf

The debate rages !!!!

Niall O'S
    Ciaran Balfe
    Stefan Ray
    Barry Dunne
    Cian Connaughton

:eek:

I'm a minute and a half higher than the harbour

There are no 'B's and 'C's though

yeah I don't get the whole As Bs and Cs thing .... why not 1st man off GO and work from there :confused:

I see I have a minute less on mad m though and he beat me well in DLH :rolleyes::D

http://leinsteropensea.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Liffey-Handicap-2014.pdf

The debate rages !!!!

Niall O'S
    Ciaran Balfe
    Stefan Ray
    Barry Dunne
    Cian Connaughton

My money is on Aidan Robertson 6:15.......

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mr jack

Jeez I'm not convinced the handicaps change at all through the season. I haven't been swimming anything near as much as I did last year and so I keep coming in the bottom few of every race I've done but if anything my handicap has been increased each time. Either I've just being unlucky this season with my races or Frank has it in for me!!

Looking forward to saturday though, won't be competitive so really going to soak it up and enjoy it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Finelli

It depends on the flow of the river of course, but Tom Healy on 8.15 stood out for me

Advertisement