Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Laptop: The current Generation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

glasso wrote: »
    in my experience it's quick once the "in stock" and "ships in 1 to 2 business days" is on the item but I'm not privy as to how it might vary for an exact item

I've had delivery in under 2 days (from Holland)

they use UPS couriers

Bought the i5 11th generation lenovo with the 10% discount.... Came to 520 with free delivery. Great deal for sure !

• Registered Users Posts: 13 1tsThatGuy

if you have a monitor already and it's not going to be leaving your desk then why not consider a small form factor (7 litres) desktop

amd and 8gb ram for 332 euro

else the 11th gen i5 version here for 580 is good

far bottom left sign up in stay connected box to get a 10% off new user code
    emailed (arrives in a while)

discount may or may not stack / combine with others

Glasso, thanks for suggesting a small form factor, after doing a bit of thinking this is actually the perfect solution. So I did some research and have found two machines, I would have linked but can't as I'm a new user, they're more tower units than small form though. The Acer Aspire XC Desktop | XC-895 | Black (Ref.DT.BEWEK.00E) works out at €636 with a student discount and the Lenovo V V50t-13IMB (Part Number: 11ED0010UK) is €559.99 but €489 with a discount.

I veered away from the amd 8gb Glasso recommended as it didn't have a disk drive. I know this is antiquated but I like a disc drive in my computer. In fairness I didn't state that as a requirement but on reflection I want one.

Has anyone here any experience of these machines, are they any good?

Also, the Lenovo doesn't have wireless internet, does anyone know the best way around this?

How do you know if things like if RAM can be upgraded to 2 channels or is it just 1?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭LillyIsland

Was just looking at that Acer Swift 3 laptop that has been recommended.

You can get it on the offical Irish Acer website for €699 here and if you are go to Unidays and are able to get a student discount you can get 15% off, bringing the laptop down €104.85 to €594.15 v €697 on Amazon with Revolut.

They are not the same at all

The one on amazon has a 4-core i5 cpu with XE graphics (which is a big improvement this gen) vs a 2-core i3 with no XE graphics on the acer website

The ssd drive is also half the size of the amazon one.

easily worth the extra 100 euro

the same model is 800 on the acer website

https://store.acer.com/en-ie/acer-swift-3-ultra-thin-laptop-sf314-59-silver-nx-a0mek-001

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭LillyIsland

They are not the same at all

The one on amazon has a 4-core i5 cpu with XE graphics (which is a big improvement this gen) vs a 2-core i3 with no XE graphics on the acer website

The ssd drive is also half the size of the amazon one.

easily worth the extra 100 euro

the same model is 800 on the acer website

https://store.acer.com/en-ie/acer-swift-3-ultra-thin-laptop-sf314-59-silver-nx-a0mek-001

Oh woops didn't look carefully enough!

Still though with the 15% discount you can get it for €679.15 so a small saving... would save more if you weren't using Revolut to buy on Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Im looking for a laptop to use to do standard online stuff (browse, watch youtube, etc.), Would also like the ability to maybe do some video editing and gaming if at all possible in this price range.

Budget is €800. Would I be better buying new or used from a year or two ago?

Thanks!

11521323 wrote: »
    Im looking for a laptop to use to do standard online stuff (browse, watch youtube, etc.), Would also like the ability to maybe do some video editing and gaming if at all possible in this price range.

Budget is €800. Would I be better buying new or used from a year or two ago?

Thanks!

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/300-series/IdeaPad-Gaming-3i-15%E2%80%9D/p/88IPG301387

get 10% off code (far bottom left "stay connected") emailed to you

discount may or may not stack with ones on items on site

decent laptop that allows for gaming and some video editing

if you want a slim laptop go for the acer swift 3 i5 11th gen on amazon or acer if you have a student discount but the gaming will be basic on it as no discrete graphics card

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

I know Amazon has a very good return policy, but how does it work with the import fees deposit? If you have to return to the UK does that mean you might have to pay the fee a second time (going the other way, an 'export fee' I guess)

there are no import fees

they call it that but it's just Irish VAT - 23%

they take off English VAT (20%) from the price and put Irish VAT as import fees

work it out if you like

amazon would refund all no issue if warranted within that period

so it's effectively the same as the last 10 years or more where Irish Vat was being paid on Amazon UK items delivered to Ireland.

just now it's called "import fees deposit" due to Brexit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

sign up to the newsletter (far bottom left of page and wait for 10% off code by email)

then use it to take 10% off this - ends up about €560

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/s-series/IdeaPad-5i-14IIL05/p/82FE00A2UK

11th gen intel i5 cpus have a good graphics boost (iris Xe) for running roblox, minecraft well

8gb ram, fast ssd hard drive. bright screen, reasonable battery life

should last a good number of years

Glasso my man do you know much about Lenovos? I picked up this bad boy, charged it to full, used it for half hour then it shut down and gave me the below message - is it a lemon that needs to be sent back or is this something minor? :eek:

E2BNs2QXMAAfkZi?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Monokne wrote: »
    Glasso my man do you know much about Lenovos? I picked up this bad boy, charged it to full, used it for half hour then it shut down and gave me the below message - is it a lemon that needs to be sent back or is this something minor? :eek:

E2BNs2QXMAAfkZi?format=jpg&name=small

Is the battery removable? If it is try removing it and holding the power button down for 30 seconds, then connect it to the mains with the battery still removed and try powering it up.

seems like the battery is not charging?

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Is the battery removable? If it is try removing it and holding the power button down for 30 seconds, then connect it to the mains with the battery still removed and try powering it up.

Unfortunately it is not removable!

seems like the battery is not charging?

I charged it up again and opened it up. After 15 minutes of use, the battery is down to 80% :confused:

I charged it up again and opened it up. After 15 minutes of use, the battery is down to 80% :confused:

well the battery should certainly last longer than 2 hours when new so it sounds like a defective battery.

unless you were playing some 3d game maxing out the laptop at 100% cpu and gpu

well the battery should certainly last longer than 2 hours when new so it sounds like a defective battery.

unless you were playing some 3d game maxing out the laptop at 100% cpu and gpu

Is there a good way to test a battery on a windows machine? Like an app or anything?

there is this that will tell you battery capacity etc, charging rate, discharging rate, wear, full runtime etc

https://batterybar.en.softonic.com/

there is this that will tell you battery capacity etc, charging rate, discharging rate, wear, full runtime etc

https://batterybar.en.softonic.com/

thanks I will give it a go!

thanks I will give it a go!

what's that telling you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

there are no import fees

they call it that but it's just Irish VAT - 23%

they take off English VAT (20%) from the price and put Irish VAT as import fees

work it out if you like

amazon would refund all no issue if warranted within that period

I just priced a laptop on Amazon that Curry’s don’t have in stock. Customs fees are €480 and the € price of the laptop is €500 more than Curry’s so if seems they are not taking off the uk vat.

I just priced a laptop on Amazon that Curry’s don’t have in stock. Customs fees are €480 and the € price of the laptop is €500 more than Curry’s so if seems they are not taking off the uk vat.

should remove UK VAT from the price on the inital page and then add Irish vat as "import fees" at checkout page

it does not show the calc of removing UK Vat explicitly

e.g. initial price and checkout example

may not function correctly where amazon is not doing the fulfilment process

RjcOI0y.png

nlxg45g.png

• Registered Users Posts: 53,849 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hi All.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction

Looking for a light weight laptop 15" screen or higher with a budget under €1k

Wont be used for gaming

Will be used for the following
    Browsing the internet
    Loads of VMs
    Basically a really good business laptop
    Has to be quite fast as well

would 14 do you?

15 inch laptops less common and not really light weight

what weight is light-weight in kg to you?

this is metal build and light

16gb ram

good cpu and screen

https://store.acer.com/en-ie/acer-swift-3-ultra-thin-laptop-sf314-59-silver-nx-a0mek-005

use studentbeans to get 15% off to bring it down to 850

My current Macbook is 1.83kg so something lighter or around this at least

15" or higher screen size :)

Unfortunately that link appears to be longer valid

Headshot wrote: »
    My current Macbook is 1.83kg so something lighter or around this at least

15" or higher screen size :)

Unfortunately that link appears to be longer valid

fixed link above

1.2 kg

it's this model in review but with bigger ssd (1tb)

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/42008-acer-swift-3-14-sf314-59-review/

as said few light 15 size laptops - most near 2kg or over

it's not a common size in business-class laptops anymore - 14 is the standard

see if you can find an honor magicbook pro 16 inch screen down - it's 1.7/ 1.8 kg I think

Thanks Glasso but looking for a bigger screen. I know it will cause extra weight but there's some room to play with since I want something under 1.83KG

Headshot wrote: »
    Thanks Glasso but looking for a bigger screen. I know it will cause extra weight but there's some room to play with since I want something under 1.83KG

honor magicbook pro as said then

with Brexit can't order from hihonor site tho

https://www.hihonor.com/unitedkingdom/product/honor-magicbook-pro/

maybe contact them and ask can you get UK keyboard through euro site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Having an absolute nightmare trying to order a Matebook from Amazon. Long story short, they won't send it and keep pushing back the delivery date.

Is it worth risking something like Harvey Norman or Littlewoods?

Advertisement