Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hans Zimmer Tour

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I really enjoyed the whole thing - but agree it would have been nice to know the name of each piece - sometimes he forgot to say what it was and I'd be wondering for the whole time.

I loved the Gladiator section - has to be one of my favourite film scores.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Unbelievable night!! Never thought I would get to see the man in concert. Was everything I was hoping for and much more. Gladiator, Pirates and Interstellar were my highlights. Hearing No Time for Caution live was awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Well, that was fantastic, well worth the price of admission and then some.

Music was awesome, real variety to it and the musicians themselves got plenty of time in the limelight which was great to see. He also came across as a genuine bloke, bit nervous, but absolutely enthusiastic and into his work and his colleagues on the stage. There wasn't any falseness to it, or so it seemed.

Highlights for me were Gladiator, Interstellar and the encore Inception. No Time for Caution was top notch and I'm Going Home with the guitars took me totally by surprise. Inception wise, I thought he wasn't going to to Time as it wasn't really a pumping crowd pleaser, but **** me - that ending was something else. Could hear your own heartbeat during it it was that quiet in the place. Dark Knight was good as well, but perhaps went on a little too long. My only disappointment of the night was we didn't get any Last Samurai, which I love.

I doubt we'll get to see him again in Ireland, but if we do I'll be on the website hammering F5 to make sure I get a ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I agree it was incredible but my one complaint also was the batman section, thought it was a mess and was looking forward to it all night.

Highlights for me were crimson tide, pirates of the Caribbean and inception.

Epic concert.
    I thought the Batman section was a total sensory overload. At one point I thought I'd have to go take a little break if that makes sense. Which makes me feel so old :) just with the bass coming through the seats and the strobing ish effects and then the bright lights. Yeah I'm old.

jesus i'm still recovering!! Ive seen loads of comedy gigs, kevin hart most recent one! I've see springsteen, alanis morissette and a good few others, but that would leave a dying man with a feeling of having seen and heard it all in one session!! amazing.

I wouldn't have bought a program for the world, nor needed any titles above the screen, I knew the films handy enough and the names of the musical pieces.
    that's not me saying look at how great I am, I just cannot understand someone needing to know the film, who cares and anyway, what a great game of name that tune it would make. That's just my thoughts.

I'm in agreement with some, I loved the dark knight section but maybe as I've overplayed it, twasnt actually my favourite, nor was inception.

The pieces that moved me most funnily enough were, journey to the line, Rainman, obviously Gladiator and the hint of flight from man of steel was unreal! not a huge fan of the lion king soundtrack but how could you not be after that one.

I would have given anything to hear thunderbird suit from Thelma and louise!! that would have been amazing, I'd have change Sherlock holmes for that ha ha.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

mikekerry wrote: »
    There are luas works so luas stops at jervis.
    The car parks around the arena all appear to be booked out.

Drove in eventually; traffic from Heuston all the way in the quays, across O'Connell st. and out to the north wall was absolutely chronic. Took nearly 2 hours, and missed the first 10 minutes of the concert. God help anyone driving in Dublin tonight. Strongly recommend public transport/Luas where possible if you're going to anything in the city.

As for the concert itself, I agree with whoever said it was a bit repetitive; apart from Gladiator, I couldn't get into a lot of his stuff, I just found it too overpoweringly pounding and gloomy. Maybe I don't think he's a great score writer in the way of a John Barry or (the king of them all) Morricone; Zimmer isn't as melodic or tuneful perhaps. However, that I had a problem with is is my problem, not his. I'm quite sure his many fans enjoyed the powerful show.

(BTW, if you were one of the 2 drunken clods (in block J row 38) last night, I hope you realise this morning when you sober up how much of an idiot you made of yourselves and how much you disrupted the enjoyment for those around you. Good job you scarpered at the interval.)

MfMan wrote: »
    (BTW, if you were one of the 2 drunken clods (in block J row 38) last night, I hope you realise this morning when you sober up how much of an idiot you made of yourselves and how much you disrupted the enjoyment for those around you. Good job you scarpered at the interval.)

Block J, Row 45 here. Didn't get disrupted at all myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

Block J, Row 45 here. Didn't get disrupted at all myself.

Probably too far down in front to notice. Made absolute nuisances of themselves, many times those in the vicinity had to remonstrate and tell them to shut up.

MfMan wrote: »
    Probably too far down in front to notice. Made absolute nuisances of themselves, many times those in the vicinity had to remonstrate and tell them to shut up.

that's bad form, I'd to do the same to a couple of "I know raight! sex and the city wannabees" behind me too. they also scarpered after been told to shut de fook up!! :mad:might have been the flat Dublin accent on me, delivered in anger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭mikekerry

" traffic from Heuston all the way in the quays, across O'Connell st. and out to the north wall was absolutely chronic"
    The traffic was very bad allright, we crawled all the way along the quays.
    obviously the LUAS being out of action did not help at all, we pulled into a carpark in the IFSC and a 10 minute walk down.
    As for "Block J, Row 45 " some people are just idiots with the concentration levels of a turnip, combined with lots of alcohol = a bad night for anyone sitting near them.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

I really liked the dark knight suite but it is how I got into Hans Zimmer so maybe I'm biased. It was the sheer fury and energy of it I enjoyed especially all the guitarists playing, in particular the lady to the left of Hans who let her inner rock goddess out on that one. Was a bit disappointed by the Man of Steel suite, it was close but not quite as epic as I thought it could be. Really enjoyed the night including the music I wasn't familiar with, what a cool band and I loved the way they introduced the orchestra and choir. I think it was the trinity choir?

My only disappointment of the night was we didn't get any Last Samurai, which I love.

My favorite of his scores, pity it wasn't played at all on this tour

ktulu123 wrote: »
    My favorite of his scores, pity it wasn't played at all on this tour

I'm sure a lot of us wanted something that wasn't played and given his collection of material its always going to happen.

Solomans Song from "12 Years a Slave" would be in my top 4 but I knew it wasn't on his play list based on seeing an older play sheet posted here, so i wasn't surprised anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

mikekerry wrote: »
    The only small quibble I would have is it would have been good to have the name of the film medley he was doing on the screen above as sometimes he didn't quite say.
    h.
    10/10
    pinkypinky wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the whole thing - but agree it would have been nice to know the name of each piece - sometimes he forgot to say what it was and I'd be wondering for the whole time.

We were seated just a few rows from the front and there were TV monitors each side of the stage with the name of the piece displayed on it, for the musicians obviously. So as one piece finished and he was telling a story during the interlude, we could see what medley was coming next which was brilliant!

The Dark Knight piece was just labelled as "Dark Knight Remix".

Interstellar left with me chills and Electro was just the most beautiful mayhem I've ever witnessed.

It was easily the best live shows I've ever been to, and I just hope it's not a once in a lifetime experience!

Someone captured and uploaded a full show to Youtube. It's from France earlier in the tour. Of course, the sound will never be like what it was in the room, but I've been using it to enjoy reliving moments from the concert.

Setlist with time stamps in the comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

One of the comments on that video claims that the Prague show was filmed for a Blu-Ray release. One can only hope. :P

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

bnt wrote: »
    One of the comments on that video claims that the Prague show was filmed for a Blu-Ray release. One can only hope. :P

That would be great. I didn't notice any cameras in Dublin, only the one to project Hans when he was addressing the audience between songs. A Blu-Ray of the show would be just perfect.

On the official website it states that there is a Blu-ray disc planned but with no release date yet. They're using Wembley for the audio track and Prague for the video.

If anyone does find a source (legitimate preferably, I've no problem paying for this) for a blu-ray edition, please post it here. Top notch stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I'd prefer a live CD rather than a blu ray, any plans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I'd prefer a live CD rather than a blu ray, any plans?

Or both!? :D

I would be very surprised if he doesn't release a Bluray of the concert. Just in time for Christmas, perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

I'm pretty sure the concert programme included an ad for a CD release later this year, there was no confirmed date just said late 2016. I will double check when I get home. It's definitely on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 21Magnets

Just announced Hans Zimmer is coming back to Dublin in June 2017 - Tickets go on presale Mon 21 Nov + General Public Sale Wed 23 Nov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

21Magnets wrote: »
    Just announced Hans Zimmer is coming back to Dublin in June 2017 - Tickets go on presale Mon 21 Nov + General Public Sale Wed 23 Nov

Thanks - all over it!

I couldn't believe it when I got the text this morning, I never thought he'd be back here so soon, can't wait to see him again!

Exactly, didn't think I would ever see him again. Absolutely delighted with this news :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

****ing delighted about this. Had to sell the ticket for stupid reasons last time, and thought i'd missed the chance to see him in person, so i'll definitely be picking these up this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Brilliant! Look forward to seeing him again. What is the best way to get good seats at the 3 arena....always only seem to get something way up the back or too far left or right of stage.

As others have stated I'm shocked that hes touring again so soon.

Thinking maybe to go to Paris this time as a night in Dublin ends up being a mini holiday in itself.

presale started at 9 if your a three customer, still tickets left.

• Advertisement

It's Thursday for general sale, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

He's doing a masterclass in film scoring for anyone interested in music production.
    $90. Might make a nice Christmas present for someone.

https://www.masterclass.com/hz

Tickets are even more expensive this time. €106 for Block D. Bloody crazy prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

How much of a restricted view would the cheaper tickets have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Picked up Block D tickets. Crazy money though, 114 euro each. But the last show was the best show I've ever been to so I'm not too ruffled.

FYI, the ticketmaster app let's you choose what Block you want to sit in when you're searching. I don't think the website allows that yet.

Yeah, i also bought them, but only because of who it is. No i'd pay anything near that for anyone else.
    FYI, the ticketmaster app let's you choose what Block you want to sit in when you're searching. I don't think the website allows that yet.

Did the same myself. Utterly ridiculous that you can't pick the seats on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

Website is very annoying........kept offering me expensive tickets in block G, should've used the app

Got tickets for Row E of the flats.........not sure how that'll compare to this year's seat (block E)

bkrangle wrote: »
    Got tickets for Row E of the flats.........not sure how that'll compare to this year's seat (block E)

They are excellent seats, I was around Row E in May and loved it, you're so close to the action you can see all the little details and emotions from the musicians, while still being far enough back to appreciate the whole stage.

I'm a few rows further back this time around but almost directly centre so I'm very pleased, can't wait for this again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Oooh missed out last time, chuffed he's coming again! However this close to Christmas, may have to ask Santa to pick one up for me... Reckon it'll sell out quickly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

.ak wrote:
    Oooh missed out last time, chuffed he's coming again! However this close to Christmas, may have to ask Santa to pick one up for me... Reckon it'll sell out quickly?

I doubt it. I reckon a lot of people who would go are a bit put off by the price and will have already gone this year, so won't see it as the rare event they have to go to (which we thought the first one was).

I went with my brothers to the first one and they'd be pretty big fans, but they're not going next year. I'd say there's a lot of people in the same boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭jones

Loved him earlier in the year but not sure if i'd go again for the exact same show next year. as other posters have said i genuinely thought this year was a once in a lifetime thing and that he'd never be back. If this was a few years on i'd be all over it but personally i wouldn't go back for the same show a year later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

jones wrote: »
    Loved him earlier in the year but not sure if i'd go again for the exact same show next year. as other posters have said i genuinely thought this year was a once in a lifetime thing and that he'd never be back. If this was a few years on i'd be all over it but personally i wouldn't go back for the same show a year later

Is it going to be the exact same show again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Wailin wrote: »
    Is it going to be the exact same show again?

I'd expect him to open very similarly, and close with some formation of Dark Knight, Insterstellar & Inception again (any live shows I've watched over the years have done this).

I'd expect most/any changes to come in around the break.
    While I'd be ok with hearing less from Pirates or Lion King this time, they're both very popular and hard to dismiss for the large majority I'd imagine.
    Equally, one of the first pieces to get me interested in Zimmer - Journey To The Line, while brilliant, has probably been played one time too many in movie adverts and the likes for me.

I'd love to hear some stuff from Black Hawk Down, Tears Of The Sun & Last Samurai.

Chevaliers de Sangreal MUST remain. Such an amazing piece to hear live.

.ak wrote: »

His last show here did sell out, although not immediately. I wouldn't be surprised to see this show sell out also, but you definitely can afford to wait a while.

They haven't announced any UK dates (yet), so there's obviously a demand for him to bring the show back to Dublin so soon.

https://twitter.com/HansZimmerLive/status/761235428880023552

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

missed out last time. gonna grab a ticket this time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

could anyone tell me if block P of the 3 arena is really bad? says there is possible restricted viewing. I'd love to go but not spending more than 65 quid per ticket :(

price690 wrote: »
    could anyone tell me if block P of the 3 arena is really bad? says there is possible restricted viewing. I'd love to go but not spending more than 65 quid per ticket :(

It's not really bad, but you can't see a small section of the stage properly from certain seats in Blocks P and H.

For what it's worth in my opinion, the show is worth the expensive ticket prices, you won't feel short changed. It's a spectacular show.

146898_e766f0f8020c369c.jpg

I was at the last show, and I'm definitely going again. Easily the best gig I've been at, absolutely unreal.

And hopefully a bit of Planet Earth 2 this time around. For such an (apparently) down to earth guy, he comes across as such, he's some performer.

That encore... wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Shred

I snapped up Block D Row 29 for this, based on the last gig it'll be worth every cent!

• Advertisement
Advertisement