Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belcamp College, Malahide Road.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Missent

Link to JWJ family papers of Belcamp here.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/subjectView.asp?ID=F255o

(Apologies - see link doesn't work - but it showed that papers were held in Trinity College, Dublin.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ianreynolds14

Hi All,

My dad attended Belcamp from 1963-1966, just reading through this he remembers a lot of the older teachers such as Archie, Bilco, Smiler, Big Din, Muscles, Guck, and billy mulligan.

Was reading through and was looking for anyone who remembers them or attended during that time??

Would love to catch up up and chat about it

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Virgin soil too. It was only ever football fields for the last 50 years and more.

Eddie Finnegan and sons from navan had it taken last year off nama. They are one of the biggest potato growers in tge country. Fair play to them for getting them ou, dodgy ground. Weath growing where the football field was this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

micraX wrote: »
    Eddie Finnegan and sons from navan had it taken last year off nama. They are one of the biggest potato growers in tge country. Fair play to them for getting them ou, dodgy ground. Weath growing where the football field was this year.

Yea I had a look through the gates at malahide road end last year and was suprised to see just about every green area right up to the burnt out school walls had been ploughed up and under seed:eek:

PS I just sent you a Message

• Registered Users Posts: 6 freshbreeze

burrenman wrote: »
    Thaes names bring back a lot of memories. Does anyone remember Father John Archibald. Used to teach latin before becoming the headmaster

Sure do.He thought me Spanish.Always remember him saying to us"you have time for football,you have time for basketball.you have time for TV" very quietly and the shouting"but you have NO TIME TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK"That was before he became headmaster.72 /74

• Advertisement

davycc wrote: »
    Yea I had a look through the gates at malahide road end last year and was suprised to see just about every green area right up to the burnt out school walls had been ploughed up and under seed:eek:

PS I just sent you a Message
    How sad.Pass by a lot but never stoped to look in.Is there and way one could take a walk around i wonder?

How sad.Pass by a lot but never stoped to look in.Is there and way one could take a walk around i wonder?

It's hard to know, dodgy people could be hanging around. They where last week when I was going to try get in

Thanks for your reply.If you can find another way let me know,perhaps we could go together
    Louis

Thanks for your reply.If you can find another way let me know,perhaps we could go together
    Louis
    I think I'm going to wait till Foley is harvesting on the summer, go in with one of the lads in a tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 still queueing

Anyone recognise the priest in the middle picture ?
    The WWW there is no hiding anymore, Notre Dame, Australia. 2009

http://www.nd.edu.au/news/fremantle/commencement_ceremony.shtml

Here's Biddy .. amazing truly amazing http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/vincent-is-first-irish-priest-to-get-vatican-award-30614182.html

• Advertisement

Anyone recognise the priest in the middle picture ?
    The WWW there is no hiding anymore, Notre Dame, Australia. 2009

http://www.nd.edu.au/news/fremantle/commencement_ceremony.shtml

i dont recognoise anybody in that pic sorry but i do believe my old english teacher/principal Fr Brian Maher is in australia some parish

• Registered Users Posts: 39 still queueing

i dont recognoise anybody in that pic sorry but i do believe my old english teacher/principal Fr Brian Maher is in australia some parish

Fr John Archibold OMI was the principal of Belcamp for as long as I and my brother were there.. he was class of '80 me '82. Before your time I guess.

yea before my time i was there 93-98 .. Archibold sounds familiar but i never met him in person as far as i recall... Fr Maher from enniscorthy was in charge by my day

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Yeah, that's Archie all right. Hasn't changed much over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tigger28

He looks great for his age as he thought me Latin and Spanish from 1966 and married me in 1976.I will be in Perth WA in early 2017 must try look him up.
    Fr Mulligan is looking well also although a few years back now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

As there are some historians on this thread, could someone perhaps confirm that this is the same Belcamp that belonged to the family of Henry Grattan M.P.? As far as I can see no-one seems to have mentioned the name as yet and I wondered if it is in fact the same Belcamp. If it is, then the history of the building is a much longer one than some might realise.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    As there are some historians on this thread, could someone perhaps confirm that this is the same Belcamp that belonged to the family of Henry Grattan M.P.? As far as I can see no-one seems to have mentioned the name as yet and I wondered if it is in fact the same Belcamp. If it is, then the history of the building is a much longer one than some might realise.

yes the oldest central building in the school was his former home :) so much history in the place shame to see it a gutted shell

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Is it still to be torn down?

yes the oldest central building in the school was his former home :) so much history in the place shame to see it a gutted shell

The HOUSE is gutted? I must have misread the posts, thought it was still intact. I don't suppose anyone appealed against it?

The HOUSE is gutted? I must have misread the posts, thought it was still intact. I don't suppose anyone appealed against it?

the outer walls were still there last i seen , when i meant gutted i meant the fire damage which saw the some inner walls/floors and roofs to cave in.. :(

and all because of some copper wire thieving bastards setting the place alight in sustained arson attacks

• Advertisement

When I see all the plaques around the city commemorating this person or that person, I wonder why this is happening at Belcamp? I often thought of travelling there to see the place but thought it was in private hands. There is a jinormous statue to the man outside Trinity, so why isn't the Grattan home turned into a historic building to be visited by thousands of tourists paying a tenner a go? After all, he did want Ireland to be independent albeit it within a 'commonwealth' but had he been successful, perhaps full independence may have come even earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭line console zero

It's a shame the state it's been let into. If it was in Britain it would be part of the national trust as a park and visitors centre.

I think the reason the government takes no interest in it is because it's virtually connected to Belcamp/Darndale which is seen as dumping ground for the welfare class by councils. Sad but true.

It's a shame the state it's been let into. If it was in Britain it would be part of the national trust as a park and visitors centre.

I think the reason the government takes no interest in it is because it's virtually connected to Belcamp/Darndale which is seen as dumping ground for the welfare class by councils. Sad but true.

I'd hazard a guess at something more sinister.
    Previous owner was give a lot of planning permission around that area, in places that never had it.
    Probably gave in to that one when glimpses of disgruntled folk became apparent, and the bubble had burst. I wouldn't be in the least bit surpised if same person was somehow aware of the fires.

Well this too, it looks like an obvious insurance job by a certain property tycoon.

ah here you cant pant them all like that !
    most of the people of darndale/belcamp are decent hard working folks..

there is a small minority of trouble makers.

neither changes the fact that school should have been protected better and a museum created from grattons former home .. i blame gannon for not adequately protecting it when he bought it from the OMI , i blame NAMA for turning a blind eye to our public money funded investment that they had no intention of maintaining it.

ah here you cant pant them all like that !
    most of the people of darndale/belcamp are decent hard working folks..

there is a small minority of trouble makers.

neither changes the fact that school should have been protected better and a museum created from grattons former home .. i blame gannon for not adequately protecting it when he bought it from the OMI , i blame NAMA for turning a blind eye to our public money funded investment that they had no intention of maintaining it.

I think you misunderstood. This is how the council views the area in my opinion. Not me. I am born and reared in the area.

Well this too, it looks like an obvious insurance job by a certain property tycoon.

well it happened in dublin city plenty of times when protected buildings went on fire shortly after dodgy developers had bought them.. one way of getting around the planning permission restrictions:(..

I think you misunderstood. This is how the council views the area in my opinion. Not me. I am born and reared in the area.

apologies misunderstood you :) im a Darndalien myself

When I see all the plaques around the city commemorating this person or that person, I wonder why this is happening at Belcamp? I often thought of travelling there to see the place but thought it was in private hands. There is a jinormous statue to the man outside Trinity, so why isn't the Grattan home turned into a historic building to be visited by thousands of tourists paying a tenner a go? After all, he did want Ireland to be independent albeit it within a 'commonwealth' but had he been successful, perhaps full independence may have come even earlier.

i hear your point perhaps we might be able to arrange a visit in june ?
    i think i saw a poster mention visiting when the crops were cut this summer on the previous page

• Advertisement

apologies misunderstood you :) im a Darndalien myself

??
    :p

Advertisement