Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I don't mind Daniel either. I don't get why so many dislike him. If I was him and kept coming second, I'd probably have had a meltdown.

Guess because he doesn't get stressed people take a disliking to him. He's also very helpful, he's always helping other bakers when they're under pressure

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

siblers wrote: »
    I don't mind Daniel either. I don't get why so many dislike him. If I was him and kept coming second, I'd probably have had a meltdown
    You like him, but not enough to know his name. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Have enjoyed the bakeoff for the last several years but honestly I think it's gone beyond amateur bakers in their kitchen at home. Honestly lost some of the appeal for me when the 'technicals' would even throw a professional baker yet our candidates turn out something very close to the desired product. Not terribly believable tbh.
    My money would be on Steph for the win as she is consistently the best whatever about her "I'm not that good really'. Some people genuinely find it hard to believe they are very good at they do.
    David is a very likeable sort in my mind , I tend not to judge people on looks. He's helpful and a good sort just not as good as Steph.
    Alice also very good when she concentrates, slightly grating personality tbh but maybe that's just me.
    Finally it's a pity it's still not on the Beep, despise the breaks and I really liked Mary Berry.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd watch a weekly show of just Alice being judged on things and her reaction to it. Watching her eyes and head move like that is just mesmerising

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

They forgot about Henry pretty quickly.

My favourite contestant ever is still Selasi. Don’t think anyone will ever match him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Addle wrote: »

My favourite contestant ever is still Selasi. Don’t think anyone will ever match him.

Selasi was great but I loved Tamal. So witty and such a strong contestant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Selasi was great but I loved Tamal. So witty and such a strong contestant.

Tamal was lovely. I think he should have won it that year and not Nadiya.

I still think the best thing I've ever seen on Bake Off though was Paul Jagger's bread lion sculpture. Absolutely stunning creation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I still think the best thing I've ever seen on Bale Off though was Paul Jagger's bread lion sculpture. Absolutely stunning creation.

Watched that episode recently again on Netflix for precisely that one piece of incredible baking. It was brilliant on Paul's behalf. Gifted.

I still think the best thing I've ever seen on Bake Off though was Paul Jagger's bread lion sculpture. Absolutely stunning creation.

It was a really strong final three but Nadiya killed the final. There couldn’t really have been another winner going by their “best on the weekend” rule. Both Ian and Tamal made big mistakes in the signature, greater than Nadiya’s technical issues.

The lion hasn’t been topped. I remember at the time watching Paul put it together and thinking “Nah, this’ll be crap”. Very happy to be proven wrong. What was even more impressive was that it all tasted great too. I wanted to shake him for messing up the technical bake. I think he should have won Star Baker though. Ryan won it in Series Two based solely off his showstopper, it was that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I must go and binge watch the old episodes of Bake Off over the winter - I don't think I watched the first few series, I can't remember when I started watching it but certainly not from the start. Be interesting to see if/how the show has changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I must go and binge watch the old episodes of Bake Off over the winter - I don't think I watched the first few series, I can't remember when I started watching it but certainly not from the start. Be interesting to see if/how the show has changed.
    I've been thinking the same! I was a very late convert to the show.

Fairly scathing review today in the Irish Times, hard to disagree with her though.....

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/has-the-great-british-bake-off-finally-fallen-flat-1.4061534

It's all gone very formulaic (even in the relatively few series I've watched) - you get the impression they could all do it with their eyes closed, the same lines, the same tired jokes, then they try to "mix it up" a bit and it all falls fairly flat (pardon the pun!)

I remember the same with Big Brother - the first series nobody knew what would happen, it was all wildly unpredictable and really exciting to watch - by series 3 you could see the glint in their eyes, they were playing the producers every bit as much as the producers were playing them (probably better, in fact).

I'm sure it's much the same in every reality series - I just don't watch a lot of them. They have a shelf life where they're novel and exciting, and then the contestants start playing their own game.

I really, really wish they'd bring back the Pottery Throw-Down though :( That was just lovely, gentle, entertaining good fun - not a cynical body among them (or maybe the series just wasn't around long enough to get that far!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I really, really wish they'd bring back the Pottery Throw-Down though :( That was just lovely, gentle, entertaining good fun - not a cynical body among them (or maybe the series just wasn't long enough to get that far!)

You just like seeing a grown man cry over a 'beautiful vase' :D:D
    But I agree - loved it!

Think bake off is gone very 'rehearsed' - no one has ever heard of the technical yet they can miraculously turn out the right thing

Dovies wrote: »
    You just like seeing a grown man cry over a 'beautiful vase' :D:D
    But I agree - loved it!

Think bake off is gone very 'rehearsed' - no one has ever heard of the technical yet they can miraculously turn out the right thing
    Exactly! I just don't believe it much any more - and that takes all the good out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I have liked some of the participants this year but not as much as other years. But I'm not gonna write it off because of one group I wasn't gone on.

Is the cameraman following Tom around the studio drunk tonight?

Some slightly alarming zooming in going on, it's very disconcerting!

Love Richard Osman, wish he could be on every week!

Do they not bother making even the slightest nod towards the theme of the week's show any more? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Not even watching tbh. Dont find it entertaining anymore

Dovies wrote: »
    Not even watching tbh. Dont find it entertaining anymore

I stopped watching the week Helena and Michelle went. I did catch the quarter final but only because I was visiting somebody who watched it. I don’t miss it at all and only look at this thread to see if there’s any talk of previous series. The show has alienated me this year for many reasons. The rot started to set in last year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,522 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Addle wrote: »

Apart from the on-screen tribute to their friend?

Junior Bake Off is starting November 4th on Channel 4. Harry Hill, Prue and previous bake off contestant Liam are involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,092 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Junior Bake Off is starting November 4th on Channel 4. Harry Hill, Prue and previous bake off contestant Liam are involved

Harry Hill is enough to put me right off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭Rfrip

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Same. Cannot look at him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Liam would turn me off it. He over acts everything.
    He's like a kid doing a drama class.

Rosie was very subdued in the extra slice. I'd grown to like more her as the bake off went on but she looked like a different person the other night.

Hopefully Alice wins it, don't think she will but she's the most likable of the 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭siblers

.red. wrote: »

Rosie was very subdued in the extra slice. I'd grown to like more her as the bake off went on but she looked like a different person the other night.

Hopefully Alice wins it, don't think she will but she's the most likable of the 3.

I really don't get the appeal with Liam. He's a nice fella and all but he's a pretty bad presenter. He's very poor on the Professional Bake Off

Even as a contestant on Bake Off, I never really understood why so many fawned over him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

And his diction is terrible, I find him hard to understand. I like him but he's like a drawling teenager

I actually disliked how they just went on the "oh you're a vet, let's make jokes about sticking hands up animals over and over again". Also thought she was treated poorly by Jo Brand who dismissed and slagged off her bake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Dónal wrote: »
    I actually disliked how they just went on the "oh you're a vet, let's make jokes about sticking hands up animals over and over again". Also thought she was treated poorly by Jo Brand who dismissed and slagged off her bake.

Even at the intro, before the opening credits she seemed off. She really didn't want to be there.

Even at the intro, before the opening credits she seemed off. She really didn't want to be there.

She did seem to be incredibly uncomfortable, and forced. And she had been so natural and bubbly throughout the show. I wonder was there something more behind it, or just she didn't want to do it??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I think she’s probably just not comfortable in front of a camera/audience.
    It was probably easier when she was doing something she loves-baking. Then it was about the bake, not her.
    She seems like a lovely, modest lady.
    She dressed very simply compared to some of the other contestants. She wasn’t looking for the same attention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Tonight's final is the first time I've ever been so undwrwhelmed about a bake off final.
    I'd prefer to see Steph win as I think she's the best of the three, but have an awful feeling it will be David.

Advertisement