Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Efficiency gained from employing labour.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Bullocks wrote: »
    I bet . Its woegus carry on but my point is about the references , alot of young lads are doing this so you would want a reference on headed paper with a land line number you can ring and be sure it is a genuine previous employer you're talking to

I sacked my own first cousin on Tuesday (Bosses Son). Hes the most useless ****er i ever met!! Serious silver spoon job and tries to dictate what hours or jobs he goes on. On Thursday i got a call from some recruitment agency that they were going offering him a job as a foreman if his reference checked out. I ended up telling them he was a great lad purely for the fact that i wouldnt hav to deal with him anymore. The snapchat/texting thing seems to be an effect of the celtic tiger is it?. I never used my phone in work when in a labouring job. Also im after finding loads of young lads need permission off there girlfriend before agreeing to work away. As soon as i hear that **** i just give them the p45.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,150 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Are you allowed to give a bad reference?

whelan2 wrote: »

I would of. We nearly came to blows early in the week like. Even his father is delighted hes gone as he was upsetting all our gangs due tot he fact he wasnt interested. Stupid really as he could be taking over the place if he applied himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

I sacked my own first cousin on Tuesday (Bosses Son). Hes the most useless ****er i ever met!! Serious silver spoon job and tries to dictate what hours or jobs he goes on. On Thursday i got a call from some recruitment agency that they were going offering him a job as a foreman if his reference checked out. I ended up telling them he was a great lad purely for the fact that i wouldnt hav to deal with him anymore. The snapchat/texting thing seems to be an effect of the celtic tiger is it?. I never used my phone in work when in a labouring job. Also im after finding loads of young lads need permission off there girlfriend before agreeing to work away. As soon as i hear that **** i just give them the p45.

+1. Thanks for an honest post. When there's work to be done, just get on and do it. Nothing worse than a lazy bollix destroying the morale of a team.

I would of. We nearly came to blows early in the week like. Even his father is delighted hes gone as he was upsetting all our gangs due tot he fact he wasnt interested. Stupid really as he could be taking over the place if he applied himself.

What age is he ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭jaymla627

This is the one good thing about where I work...it's great (unreal good) experience I actually left a slightly better paying job (admittedly over other issues aswell) for a job there....though I'm pushing on for planning a whv

Have taught of striking out at times a few lads I know have

Would be inclined to stay put where you are, learn/avail of as many courses training days as you can and basically make yourself irreplaceable to the garage, good mechanics are getting rare and you'll easily be able to clear 750-800 net once you get yourself up to a good level....
    Uncle runs a large tractor dealership and the top lads their are clearing this wage plus van/diseal he would be a tight man with wages too but he has to pay these boys well our they can walk into a new job in the morning

What age is he ?

22 with the maturity of a 16yo. There is another guy the same age who is coming along in Leaps & Bounds when away from that arsehole

22 with the maturity of a 16yo. There is another guy the same age who is coming along in Leaps & Bounds when away from that arsehole

Will be interesting to see how he gets on in another job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Could be the making of him, whether it works out for him there or doesn't.

He has done this 3/4 times before. Never lasted more than a fortnight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Would be inclined to stay put where you are, learn/avail of as many courses training days as you can and basically make yourself irreplaceable to the garage, good mechanics are getting rare and you'll easily be able to clear 750-800 net once you get yourself up to a good level....
    Uncle runs a large tractor dealership and the top lads their are clearing this wage plus van/diseal he would be a tight man with wages too but he has to pay these boys well our they can walk into a new job in the morning

I would be at an ok level...and for a 39 hour week id clear nothing like that...between apprenticeships etc I've about 7-8 years experience falling between farm/plant machinery....hopefully with economy picking up it'll increase employment possibilities

There's a reason good mechanics are rare as pay is not good....I know of two mechanics (25+ years) in a large cork/limerick tractor garage who've left to go milking cows On rented land?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Jesus I'm redundant since July. Moved to b sloe to get closer to home and away from the hassle in Dublin. All I can get is 10 an hour from a builder. No other work around the place. It's a fair drop in style from the job I had and the wages I got were super. I've no problem with labouring or machines, had lunch at the table with a powerwasher and an open container of diesel in front of me. Far cry from the old place, but that's where started so i dont mind. Wish I could get something better and I can't understand why some lads don't try harder in work. I give it my all every day no matter what the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Jesus I'm redundant since July. Moved to b sloe to get closer to home and away from the hassle in Dublin. All I can get is 10 an hour from a builder. No other work around the place. It's a fair drop in style from the job I had and the wages I got were super. I've no problem with labouring or machines, had lunch at the table with a powerwasher and an open container of diesel in front of me. Far cry from the old place, but that's where started so i dont mind. Wish I could get something better and I can't understand why some lads don't try harder in work. I give it my all every day no matter what the job.

From listening to the talk about the economy you would think there is plenty of work out there but its a different story when it comes to money .
    I have no problem getting work but to try and get enough out of it to pay wages doesn't add up .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Boaty wrote: »
    Without a degree you don't stray too far from minimum wage, experience without a degree only gets you so far it seams.

Have to disagree with You there. Many of the trades will earn You twice the average industrial wage plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

No point in talking about what ifs here, when somebody's not interested then they should be let off.
    Nothing worse than being shoehorned into any job that u don't want to do, farming quite often being the most guilty of this.

No point in talking about what ifs here, when somebody's not interested then they should be let off.
    Nothing worse than being shoehorned into any job that u don't want to do, farming quite often being the most guilty of this.

i think he just doesnt want to work tbh. no matter what job hes started its always a manager etc that is at fault

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Not the worst idea!!
    Though maybe a few more years experience first (either before/after travelling-really wanna see oz/NZ)

Don't think about it go for it. Diesel mechanic would gain good coin in the mines in oz

C0N0R wrote: »
    Don't think about it go for it. Diesel mechanic would gain good coin in the mines in oz

I've a feeling that the OZ mines will be getting quiet soon...

Dawggone wrote: »
    I've a feeling that the OZ mines will be getting quiet soon...

With the current exchange rates with euro vs Australia dollar, turnkey 300-400 acre dairy farms out their are serious value, a million euro will buy a fully set-up dairy unit complete with machinery/cows/rotary parlour, dairy farms literally can't be given away out their at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

With the current exchange rates with euro vs Australia dollar, turnkey 300-400 acre dairy farms out their are serious value, a million euro will buy a fully set-up dairy unit complete with machinery/cows/rotary parlour, dairy farms literally can't be given away out their at the minute

Why is that jay?

• Advertisement

You'd get the same value a lot closer to home. Turnkey also, including the dog!

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Why is that jay?

Alot of its down to labour, the younger generation coming through have zero intrest in farming, then to hire in people your really scrapping the barrel also combined with high wages.
    Also their is some seriously poor dairy guys out their who between having a total disregard for grazing systems and breeding white water holstein cows who simply can't hack the climate out their, finance is another issue as banks went crazy lending to farmers on 07/08 and alot of farms are screwed financially meaning dairy farms are being sold if a buyer can even be found for half their value compared to 07/08

Dawggone wrote: »
    You'd get the same value a lot closer to home. Turnkey also, including the dog!

True too, you'd have to question the irish dairying model and the value being put on land etc, when you look around the rest of world in key dairying regions where a fraction of the value is attributed to it.
    100 acres of extremely poor ground that's on a floodplain went for 700,000 grand near us recently to bounding dairy farmer who also took on a long term lease the 80 acres beside it that's in worse nick and is spending a small fortune reclaiming/draining it, what sense could be made of a investment like that when running 300-400 cow units can be bought worldwide for less in areas where their is actually a liquid market demand for milk and not solely reliant on trading on the commodity market

• Registered Users Posts: 18,493 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yes, as long as you can back up what you say with some sort of evidence if the person were to take a case..

So if you say to a prospective employer that X was regularly late for work and then they don't get offered the job. You would need some paperwork showing you tried to deal with the issue of lateness...best if it were warnings/pip's signed by X during the process..

Sometimes its as easy to just say X worked here for years as whatever job. When asked anything further say "I'll decline to comment", this puts enough doubt out there to put any savy employer off hiring someone.

_Brian wrote: »
    Yes, as long as you can back up what you say with some sort of evidence if the person were to take a case..

So if you say to a prospective employer that X was regularly late for work and then they don't get offered the job. You would need some paperwork showing you tried to deal with the issue of lateness...best if it were warnings/pip's signed by X during the process..

Sometimes its as easy to just say X worked here for years as whatever job. When asked anything further say "I'll decline to comment", this puts enough doubt out there to put any savy employer off hiring someone.
    I often wondered why people put down peoples names for references if they know themselves they didnt work well there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

True too, you'd have to question the irish dairying model and the value being put on land etc, when you look around the rest of world in key dairying regions where a fraction of the value is attributed to it.
    100 acres of extremely poor ground that's on a floodplain went for 700,000 grand near us recently to bounding dairy farmer who also took on a long term lease the 80 acres beside it that's in worse nick and is spending a small fortune reclaiming/draining it, what sense could be made of a investment like that when running 300-400 cow units can be bought worldwide for less in areas where their is actually a liquid market demand for milk and not solely reliant on trading on the commodity market

Ah yes

But dairy land in Ireland comes complete with a "family farmer" who is prepared to work it for nothing, so it appears much more profitable than it is. Hence the price.

Ironic, isn't it, that by working away for nothing we're instantly upping the price of the additional land which our children are going to need to buy to remain efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,493 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I often wondered why people put down peoples names for references if they know themselves they didnt work well there.

You'd be surprised at the amount of managers that just give glowing references no matter what... Some do it just to move on a donkey onto someone else.. I've seen that done for internal transfers too.
    People also believe its illegal to give a bad reference so think they are in the clear !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

kowtow wrote: »
    Ah yes

But dairy land in Ireland comes complete with a "family farmer" who is prepared to work it for nothing, so it appears much more profitable than it is. Hence the price.

Ironic, isn't it, that by working away for nothing we're instantly upping the price of the additional land which our children are going to need to buy to remain efficient.

Where are these farmers who work for nothing? I'm certainly not one and don't know any

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

You are 100%right about the value of land in ireland but to add a bit of perspective, to buy a house in dublin could cost you 700k whereas you can buy a house in longford-bigger house with more room around it for 150k and not 100 miles away so you can sey up a dairy operation in alot of countries which makes more sense but do yuo want to live there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Where are these farmers who work for nothing? I'm certainly not one and don't know any

+1

Advertisement