Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Efficiency gained from employing labour.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

cute geoge wrote: »
    Is not there something seriously wrong when a farmer with 130 cows has to justify to pay one labour wage
    Imo dairy farmers better take stock of where they are going ,80 cows is more then enough for any man to manage .
    Sometimes i find it enough to manage 50 in an unmodernised setup
    How many farmers sons are going to follow there fathers in to a life of slavery can anyone answer that?

Yes there is something seriously wrong, but that unfortunately is the way the game is going.
    As someone said to me recently, 100 is the new "60 cows" and 200 is the new "100 cows", and I think it's absolutely true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

Yes there is something seriously wrong, but that unfortunately is the way the game is going.
    As someone said to me recently, 100 is the new "60 cows" and 200 is the new "100 cows", and I think it's absolutely true.

What has changed drastically that this is the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

I see myself with a better lifestyle when we hit 140 which is prob 3 yrs away or maybe longer who knows.
    Should have a better set up ie bigger parlour and cubicles for all.
    I haven't even looked to get someone but I'd say in the morning if I was I could think of 4 ppl off top of my head that would be good to work.

Maybe I'm deluded???

Your not the only one. I thinking seventy to eighty cows would give me a decent living but with the costs in farming and living costs would i be better off with just a job earning 30 to 40k.

Feckthis wrote: »
    What has changed drastically that this is the case?

Nothing at all has changed, maybe speeded up a bit, but no drastic changes. This is the evolution of farming, like it or not. How many cows did our fathers, grandfathers, great grandfathers milk in their days. Has it really changed at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Very interesting thread Milked out! I can stock the milking block here to 130/140 cows without too much sweat moving down the line, but where do I draw the line? Will be up to 100 cows this spring growing organically, but giving serious consideration to picking up about 15heifers, given the low price of them, good cull cow price, and our high enough empty rate. However it would leave me with a overlap period in the spring where I'll probably end up with 110+ cows, plus the 40 or so replacements over the spring. I do most the stock work here, but my dad is still an invaluable help, especially if there is a problem when I'm away etc. Almost all machinery work is contracted out, excluding winter feeding and fert spreading (both done by my dad).

Anyways we've managed without too much sweat the last 2years at the 80-90cow mark, if anything the 90cows this year was easier than 80 last year, with a better calving routine this year. However how far I can comfortable go is the big question? I'm lucky enough to have afew very reliable local relief milkers, who would know my parlour and setup well, and I've no problems calling any of them up and letting them on with it whenever needs be. So I'm feeling comfortable enough about pushing on with the few extra heifers if I manage to purchase the correct stock for the right price. Putting in the 14unit parlour this year means its only 20mins extra work in the parlour.

The one change I would give serious consideration to is getting in one of my relief milkers for every single evening milking while the heifers are calving, I would only bother milking the heifers in the evening (just run them through the parlour in the morning, to get comfy with the parlour), this is as much because training in heifers is an utter pet hate of mine ha. If I had to do this for a solid month, it would cost something around 1100e, money well spend if it results in the heifers getting settled in better and faster to the parlour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Nothing at all has changed, maybe speeded up a bit, but no drastic changes. This is the evolution of farming, like it or not. How many cows did our fathers, grandfathers, great grandfathers milk in their days. Has it really changed at all?

My grand father bought our current farm in the late 40s and raised six kids, and sent 3 of the 6 kids to college, 2 went farming. This was while milking between 22 and 26 cows.
    My dad and my uncle sent their respective families to college on the same land and 95 to 110 cows.
    I think DSW is right when he says that to maintain this level (or type) of income, we have to be milking close to 200 cows. It has to do with inflation among countless other factors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Bullocks wrote: »
    You would want to hear my younger brother on the phone giving references for his buddies gone working in Oz or the UK, it's unbelievable he is about 22 and hasn't worked for a full year anywhere yet , does a bit of baling and wrapping and digger work for the local contractor but when he is giving a reference you would think you were on the phone to a sincere Michael O Leary !
    He is an avid snapchatter aswell while working !

He's doing the industry a great service Bullocks. Mr. o Leary will be proud, as am I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

My grand father bought our current farm in the late 40s and raised six kids, and sent 3 of the 6 kids to college, 2 went farming. This was while between 22 and 26 cows.
    My dad and my uncle sent their respective families to college on the same land and 95 to 110 cows.
    I think DSW is right when he says that to maintain this level (or type) of income, we have to be milking close to 200 cows. It has to do with inflation among countless other factors

You speak the truth Darragh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

mahoney_j wrote: »

They say it takes 40 cows to pay a labour unit and at that I reckon you'd want to be heading for 150/80 cows to justify it

A good dairy farmer near me says it takes 50 cows to pay a work man.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Had people working here when kids were younger. Only have a relief milker now,my dad is here if I need help and oh helps out too. I am saving at least 2k a month. I get a lad to help when things are very busy. When Iwas young my dad had 2 lads working fulltime and he was also here a good bit, times change. The place is more efficient and as some one said earleir gates hung properly and good fencing goes along way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Dawggone wrote: »
    He's doing the industry a great service Bullocks. Mr. o Leary will be proud, as am I.

I bet . Its woegus carry on but my point is about the references , alot of young lads are doing this so you would want a reference on headed paper with a land line number you can ring and be sure it is a genuine previous employer you're talking to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

My tuppence worth,130 cows is fast becoming a one man show.i would exhaust all forms of getting jobs done before I would take on a worker, next I would relook at every aspect of my business interms of labour in other words , is there any way of taking that job out of the equation or can I time jobs better.one example is reseeding orcrops on a farm .push work away from the spring.employing labour brings alot of hheadaches with it and maybe we should stand back and ignore the hype as regards numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Just putting this out there, we had an irish dairy adviser over as part of a discussion group was chatting to him about the best way of setting up, he was saying the most profitable dairy farmers on his books were either 100 cow farms with family labour or 250 + with hired in labour thought it was an interesting statistic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

trixi2011 wrote:
    Just putting this out there, we had an irish dairy adviser over as part of a discussion group was chatting to him about the best way of setting up, he was saying the most profitable dairy farmers on his books were either 100 cow farms with family labour or 250 + with hired in labour thought it was an interesting statistic

If you bear in mind that family labour is free, it's not a particularly surprising statistic!

Is he really saying "with less than 250 cows don't expect any wages"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

if it takes 50 extra cows to cover a mans wages, the true cost has to be more,cows have to be brought into the set up at a cost, buildings and slurry storage for the extra 50 cows, and land where is that going to appear out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I had a lad for a 3 day week for a while, would this be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

whelan2 wrote: »
    I had a lad for a 3 day week for a while, would this be an option?

Was at a farm walk recently (down your country Frazz), chap with 130ish cows, had a lad in 3days a week, and the other 3days a week yourman worked on his brothers farm. Seemed to work perfect for them both. In the busy spring time the farmer hires FRS etc for another 3days a week.

trixi2011 wrote: »
    I think this might be more of an opinion than a statistic!

Going back to milked out's original question on extra labour, I was probably wrong in saying he shouldn't need an extra labour unit at those numbers. I've just realised he's in winter milk so there's a fair workload all yr round.
    Every farm is different, with development stage being a critical difference between farms. I know at the stage I'm at still rising cow numbers and in the middle of building sheds, reclaiming/draining land, roadways, water etc which takes up a lot of my income.
    If another farm has this work done and is established with just reseeding and maintenance to do every yr then they would be in a much stronger position to take on labour both from a lifestyle and tax point of view.
    And to answer ur first question, yes a farm does become more efficient with extra labour imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Dawggone wrote: »

Ya should try getting the references of Skype or hangouts, at least you'll get rid of a few of them lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Calved 160 here last spring, by and large on my own. Spring was busy, but had a guy come in for 2hrs x 3 days a week. His job was bedding/cleaning out calving & calf sheds. And cleaning and liming cubicles. Nothing else.
    The same guy has the bulling heifers on contract and does every 2nd weekend from May on. The weekend he's on he does Thursday evening to Sunday evening, 7 milkings. If there's a backlog of jobs I use the Thur& Fri to catch up.(usually up to the end of June this is the case). Otherwise I've the 3&1/2 days off. (Usually from July on). Person from FRs comes in once every fortnight to pressure wash from April to July and occasionally after that. I do my own slurry spreading and fert all year round. Spring is very busy up to 1st cut, but after that I couldn't justify a full time person around the place.
    Labour is costing me just over €10k. I suppose I could justify a full time labour unit, but for the moment any money saved on labour is going into improving facilities. ( last year made calving shed alot simpler, this year hope to double the size of the calf shed and put in auto calf feeder, a lot of work already done on paddocks and Parlour, just maintained there.).
    Relief guy very good, is well paid and is at the other end of the phone if something goes wrong. I'm trying to set up the place that if I'm not around who ever comes in can easily look after the place. Parlour is well automated, good drafting facilities, all fencing right, roadway to every paddock in the place, calf rearing will be well setup next year all going well.
    Hoping to up the cow numbers 15% next spring without any major increase in labour costs. If I get to 200 the plan is to have 2 people trained to milk and know the system , but with only one ever on at a time. And me around the yard
    At this stage for me 25 or 30k is a lot to have going out on wages. The system I'm thinking is ~€10-12k on wages. The saved ~€20k/yr for the next couple of years would do an awful lot for the setup here. It's not going to cost a big amount to get the place finished off the way I want it at this stage. Try to keep things simple and low cost, But a few quid on facilities and gear isn't dead money. At a certain point there's a good Roi on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Thanks for all the replies, plenty food for thought and valid points raised. Yes the fact I'm in winter milk means more work year round and there is no family labour. Some say it can spread the workload of calving etc but at the same time your always going. slowly getting there with regard facilities parlour improved this year roadway next on the agenda with a silage slab and conversion of old slab to accommodation in future plans. Have autumn calving squeezed to 6 weeks but have lost ground in spring alright. Possibly thinking of switching to all spring in 2 years once all ground accessible by roadways and will see how things are settling. Target is 140 cows calved. Any more than that and would need more ground for heifers and silage.
    Slurry contracted out, don't have a tanker use neighbours odd time if stuck. Haven't been to factory or mart in years but spread our own fert alright. Lack of feed space in winter means silage fed out twice a day or else 3 times every 2 days but solving that would be a large investment again which is further down the tracks. Will most likely start out part time with a lad or give frs a shout to see what they offer

It's the catch 22 if the investments are done and paid for to simplify things one may afford a fulltime unit but while doing those things which is when help is really needed the cash may not be there.
    Anyone I know this size with labour generally has a partner working etc whereas here its just the farm earning.
    I know more can be got out of the place just the question of can it be done on my own. Part ime worker may be best start in order to train myself as much as anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭visatorro

not disagreeing with your statement but how further on are you if you hire someone. I think people are generally thinking 130/140 cows is what one man can cope with, that's depending on contractors and possibly a hand in spring and top notch facilities so why should I milk an extra fifty cows to pay for someone to help me do what I was doing anyway. if you get my drift. fair enough if you go over the 200 cow mark, but I don't see the point in a one man system going over this mark. different if your in a partnership or whatever. plenty of friends of mine are/were self employed during the boom, lads often say they were better off hoping in the van and only worrying about themselves. that the worst thing they did was hire a few lads. I hope my point is coming across.

visatorro wrote: »
    not disagreeing with your statement but how further on are you if you hire someone. I think people are generally thinking 130/140 cows is what one man can cope with, that's depending on contractors and possibly a hand in spring and top notch facilities so why should I milk an extra fifty cows to pay for someone to help me do what I was doing anyway. if you get my drift. fair enough if you go over the 200 cow mark, but I don't see the point in a one man system going over this mark. different if your in a partnership or whatever. plenty of friends of mine are/were self employed during the boom, lads often say they were better off hoping in the van and only worrying about themselves. that the worst thing they did was hire a few lads. I hope my point is coming across.

Fair point, but I think a guy at 130 cows with no help is an absolute slave to his job. What happens if this guy has an accident in the morning and can't work, who's going to step in then, and how could they possibly know where to start, to me this is a v scary scenario.
    My plan is to milk enough cows to employ a full time or near full time person so I can have more of a life for myself. Someone who'll know my total layout and system as well as I know it myself. I doubt if I'll make anymore money but I'll hope to work to some normal routine and have more family time which is more important than any job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

visatorro wrote: »
    Two brothers near me are farming in a partnership, both drawing good wages and both great farmers. The best thing about what they are doing is that they have a full day off each weekend, one working saturday, one sunday and vice-versa each weekend after spring. Only minimum work done each weekend.

I imagine with another labour unit on farm, Milked out would be in a position to do similar with the added bonus of having the ability to take holidays when the second worker is part of the system rather than someone thrown in with, usually, a minimum breaking in period.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭einn32

I think you are better off investing in facilities/ technology and farm services than a full time labour unit to increase efficiency at that size. One man should be able to do that number with labour when required I think. You can contract out certain jobs when the squeeze is on.

Plus from reading on here and from my limited experience it can be hard to find not only good workers but people who are interested in furthering the business. This works both ways as it can be difficult to find farms to work on where you are respected as a person!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

einn32 wrote: »
    I think you are better off investing in facilities/ technology and farm services than a full time labour unit to increase efficiency at that size. One man should be able to do that number with labour when required I think. You can contract out certain jobs when the squeeze is on.

Plus from reading on here and from my limited experience it can be hard to find not only good workers but people who are interested in furthering the business. This works both ways as it can be difficult to find farms to work on where you are respected as a person!

Certainly what I'm doing here as when I reach 110 cows I certainly won't be able to afford a labour unit ,just some relief milking and a guy 1/2 days during busy spring .investement in grazing structure and soil a given but aiming to have most jobs around yard a 1 man show ,decent parlour ,sheds ,yard layout and do as little machinery work as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Axing the winter milk and only having a part time guy for a bit at the spring is a hell of a lot cheaper than hiring a man full time and you get a 2 month rest during the winter!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Panch18 wrote: »
    Axing the winter milk and only having a part time guy for a bit at the spring is a hell of a lot cheaper than hiring a man full time and you get a 2 month rest during the winter!!

I think your right. I said to boss man yesterday will we just serve the dozen maidens this winter and push all the ciws to spring.
    From figures I'm working we'll feed less meal same mikk if not more and have a much easier life.
    work hard for 6 mths instead of 9.
    Felt guilty last mth when I was looking around for something to do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

I think your right. I said to boss man yesterday will we just serve the dozen maidens this winter and push all the ciws to spring.
    From figures I'm working we'll feed less meal same mikk if not more and have a much easier life.
    work hard for 6 mths instead of 9.
    Felt guilty last mth when I was looking around for something to do

The main reason I'm considering switching to spring is tge land purchased this year is dry bar 10 acres across a road bounding our wet ground, would allow us to have cows out earlier or/ and later. If this wasn't there I would be staying in winter as the original block was more or less stocked fully with a large proportion of winter feed bought in. Large area of ground if weather was bad in spring and autumn wold be no good till after march and early oct. pushing it as it is as a lot of lads would call the grazing we do there in a wet year poaching. All of original block is accessible by roadways. Going winter allowed us to increase output significantly considering land type. If all the farm was dry would have gone all spring a while back id say.

Advertisement