Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spinning classes for weight loss

Options
  • 25-02-2019 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I need to loose 2 stone. I’ve started spinning classes. How many would you think I should be doing a week? I intend to get walking also and maybe do one circuits class. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

What's your diet like?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I need to loose 2 stone. I’ve started spinning classes. How many would you think I should be doing a week? I intend to get walking also and maybe do one circuits class. Thanks

It depends on your body condition and how much regular exercice you've been doing. More than two a week will be very tough. I wouldn't do circuits on top of the rest of it initially. Start easy and walks are always good. Don't forget the dietary side as well. Best of luck.

I need to loose 2 stone. I’ve started spinning classes. How many would you think I should be doing a week?...........

What are your maintenance calories?
    What's your average daily calories intake?
    How many calories are burnt in a spinning class?
    Do you want to lose more than a pound/week?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭windmilllane

Thanks everyone, I’m very strict diet wise using mfp to keep track of calorie intake. If I lost 1 or 2lb a week I’d be delighted. I had done a few circuits classes and walk a fair bit. For those that regularly do spinning do you find its important to take rest days between sessions?

Thanks everyone, I’m very strict diet wise using mfp to keep track of calorie intake. If I lost 1 or 2lb a week I’d be delighted......

That is fantastic :)
    You should know what your maintenance cals are so.

the ole internet reckons "Depending on factors like your weight and the intensity of your effort, a single one-hour class can help you scorch about 400 to 600 calories"

You need to burn or not eat 3500kcals/week to lose a pound of weight.

If you don't intend cutting some calories in then you'll need to spin for potentially 6 to 9 hours a week to lose a pound if you are currently not gaining weight with your current food intake and exercise regime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭windmilllane

1500 is the no of calories I should have in order to loose 1-2 lbs a week.

Will I just aim for 3 classes so with rest days in between or do walks in days I’m not spinning

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Don't bother tracking your spinning in MFP. It will almost always overestimate what you're burning.

Simple answer is keep an eye on your calorie intake and pick a number of classes you will likely stick to going to and see how that affects your weight.

Its not a simple calculation or X hours of spinning = Y calories burned.

1500 is the no of calories I should have in order to loose 1-2 lbs a week.

So you're currently taking in 2000/2500 per day?
    If you don't cut the intake you won't exercise off that much TBH.

1500 kcals is approx maintenance cals for a very sedentary 9 stone person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Thanks everyone, I’m very strict diet wise using mfp to keep track of calorie intake. If I lost 1 or 2lb a week I’d be delighted. I had done a few circuits classes and walk a fair bit. For those that regularly do spinning do you find its important to take rest days between sessions?

I'm a regular spinner (in my 50s). Three classes a week is average for me, the knees get a bit messed up if I do more. The bikes we use are Keiser M3i with cadence, watt & kcal data, and assuming they're reasonably well calibrated, I'd average around 550 kcal in a 45 minute class. To put that in context, there's 23 bikes in the class and that effort puts me generally in the top 4/5 in terms of distance covered. There are so many variables though, that data could be questionable.

I often do two days consecutively with a good break before the 3rd. I can feel it in the legs. To be honest, I'm not sure spinning is your best bet for weight loss, I'm told lifting is better. Spinning *is great for cardio though.

Advertisement