Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whey protein.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭obi604

The bag is a great space saver if your presses are already full of crap like mine!

Actually yeah. That’s a good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

Sorry for hijacking.. Is not eating til two hours after training too long?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Acey10 wrote: »

Not really. I'd try get something within the 2 hours in an ideal world but for a lot of people the overall daily protein intake and being spaced put throughout meals is more important

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

Another question if you guys don’t mind .

If I am working out late at night should I eat another meal before bed

So if finish workout at 10pm . Can I eat a meal that late or would a protein shake do ?

I seen George Lockhart on a podcast recently and he said you are crazy if you are not eating good carbs and protein after a hard workout ...

Gonad wrote: »

So if finish workout at 10pm . Can I eat a meal that late or would a protein shake do ?

I seen George Lockhart on a podcast recently and he said you are crazy if you are not eating good carbs and protein after a hard workout ...

I used just have a banana and a shake cos I can't eat late or it messes with my sleep. Carbs and protein there.

George Lockhart is talking about elite level sports people

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Acey10 wrote: »

I'd be a blubbering mess if I didn't eat 30 minutes after a hard work out. But everyone is different. If you don't feel any I'll effects, I wouldn't worry about it.

Having said that, this is the perfect reason to eat whey protein, when you don't have time to eat a whey shake is perfect.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

There's no reason not to eat that late, unless it messes with your sleep. Bear in mind that carbs make you sleepy and protein keeps you awake. But I never have a problem with it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Is it not a fair enough statement to say, that unless you're at the absolute peak of physical fitness and conditioning, all this micromanaging of the time you eat is completely pointless? like, if you eat relatively healthily - and by this, I mean eating in line with your recommeded calorie intake, and are getting in your workouts, you're probably doing better than 90% of the population?

Its like when you see lads who are into cycling, spending a fortune on carbon fibre bits and bobs to shave off a few grams of weight here and there, when they'd be better off skipping the takeaway every now and again.

Is it not a fair enough statement to say, that unless you're at the absolute peak of physical fitness and conditioning, all this micromanaging of the time you eat is completely pointless? like, if you eat relatively healthily - and by this, I mean eating in line with your recommeded calorie intake, and are getting in your workouts, you're probably doing better than 90% of the population?

Its like when you see lads who are into cycling, spending a fortune on carbon fibre bits and bobs to shave off a few grams of weight here and there, when they'd be better off skipping the takeaway every now and again.

Probably fair enough. You'd want to have a lot in check before nutrient timing makes a blind bit of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,100 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If I am working out late at night should I eat another meal before bed.

Whether you should or shouldn't have a meal/snack/shake late at night should be based on the total amount of food you had over the day. Not the time you went to the gym.

• Advertisement

obi604 wrote: »

Seems alright. 78% protein is similar enough to likes of MyProtein

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

That's not that cheap (16.4/KG). I get the 5KG bags of unflavoured from myprotein, with some kind of discount code applied (easily found on Internet) for about 45 each (9/KG), free delivery.

fatbhoy wrote: »
    That's not that cheap (16.4/KG). I get the 5KG bags of unflavoured from myprotein, with some kind of discount code applied (easily found on Internet) for about 45 each (9/KG), free delivery.

Do you have a link to the product?

Does the ‘flavoured’ cost more?

https://www.myprotein.ie/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html

5kg for €84 (both flavoured and unflavoured) but using the code 2019 gets you 35% off (€55).

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

As Alf Veedersane mentioned: https://www.myprotein.ie/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html?variation=10530960

Currently, on that link, they're advertising a 40% discount code: LUCK. The price seems higher than normal, but they're quite high anyway usually. That's why you shouldn't even dream of buying it without a discount code.

Google search for my protein discount code and you'll find something; I don't buy unless I find 30%+ discount codes. I'm looking at my order history there, and the last good few orders, each of three 5KG unflavoured, were around 130 euros. I've found that if the Sterling exchange rate is good, you can go onto the UK version of their website and order in Sterling to get even more savings.

Bulk Powders is another similar one. Same as above.

Unflavoured is slightly cheaper, and you get used to the taste.

By the way, there are many variants of protein powder (the stuff you make the shakes with) in terms of quality and purity. I, and many others, have found that the 80% - 83% ones (the ones linked to) offer the best value:quality balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I used to always buy from myprotein but the last few times I've found the protein clumped too much and one bag went off way before expiry. I've started using bulk powders and have had no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rondog

Same.After a few mess ups with my order and the taste of the whey being foul lately for some reason ive switched to Kinetica.
    I just find the taste,digestion etc far superior to MYprotein or bulk powders.

Got this today and tried it out.

The powder seems very fine as opposed to the last one I used from ROS (which was a lot more clumpy)

How is the consistency of dry whey supposed to be? Fine powder or kinda clumpy?

Bump

• Advertisement

Fine

Probably an age old question now. When is it best to take whey protein?

Before or After?

Probably an age old question now. When is it best to take whey protein?

Before or After?

Whenever suits. Makes no odds for the vast majority of people. Get enough protein on board across the day at regular enough intervals

Advertisement