Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Druids Glen and Heath for sale

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

First Up wrote: »
    I would not recommend Druids Heath for a beginner. I really wouldn't.

Thanks for the info, any reason why you wouldn’t recommend it?

Is it the length? Is it too tight etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

First Up wrote:
    I would not recommend Druids Heath for a beginner. I really wouldn't.

Off the greens which most comps are played off it's not the most difficult or longest in the area...fact

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Skyfloater

Thanks for the info, any reason why you wouldn’t recommend it?

Is it the length? Is it too tight etc?

For a beginner, both I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Off the greens which most comps are played off it's not the most difficult or longest in the area...fact

There's about 6 holes where a beginner is likely to lose one or more balls.

But best he plays it and decides for himself.

Cheers lads, will play the course next weekend if I can arrange it, see what’s what up there.

Will be playing delgany soon but it’s 50% dearer than the Heath, so would want to be very impressive.

Have played Charlesland a few times, i wouldn’t be over enamoured with the Place and I know a few guys who were members and left for delgany, it’s also dearer than the Heath.

Greystones have a 3k joining fee so out of the question.

First Up wrote:
    There's about 6 holes where a beginner is likely to lose one or more balls.

First Up wrote:
    But best he plays it and decides for himself.

You could say that about any golf course...btw...it is not long at all off the green Tee's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You could say that about any golf course...
    No you couldnt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭whizbang

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobwilliams
    You could say that about any golf course...
    No you couldnt!

I dont think i want to bother playing your course so..

You could say that about any golf course...btw...it is not long at all off the green Tee's

Not talking about length. A number of greens are protected by water and several holes are designed to encourage badly hit shots into a lot of trouble.

Green Tee's = 6049

White's = 6620

Yards, Not Yarn's.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote:
    No you couldnt!

Yeah for a 'begginer' you could probably say that about every single hole.

Pretty much, I seem to have a singular talent for losing balls, can lose them anywhere, in any situation, with any club in my hands, haven’t managed it with the putter yet but I’m due any day now;)

I wouldn't count "losing" a ball in regular rough the same as I would losing a ball in a water hazard or forest or gorse or hay as examples.

You could lose a ball in your car also, but I don't think it has any bearing on how difficult a course plays for a beginner.

whizbang wrote: »
    I dont think i want to bother playing your course so..

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

The tee shots aren't overly challenging off the green tees. There's a good bit of room. However every single hole offers you the chance to lose a ball in hay or gorse.

The second shots are the challenge. Most green areas have a section that if you're in you're doing well with a bogey. So don't go in them!

Green course isn't overly long in summer. But in the winter with no run and cold air it plays long.

Play the course and make your decision from there. There's still deals to be had in there. Especially 15 month/health club ones.

AhHaor wrote:
    The tee shots aren't overly challenging off the green tees. There's a good bit of room. However every single hole offers you the chance to lose a ball in hay or gorse.

Or water in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

I played Druids Heath yesterday, off the whites in the winter alliance competitions.
    after a decent start I went on a shocking run of holes with scratch after scratch - I felt battered and bruised after the round :). It was a blustery day so scoring was difficult, I think 31 points may have won the competition. The course itself was in very good condition, the greens where quick and receptive. The problem is when I was out of the competition the concentration levels dropped and you start making stupid mistakes around the greens and you are punished severely - but that's not the courses fault. . there is not a single hole on the course where you think this is a straight forward hole. As soon as I was finished the round, I wanted to have another crack at it and try plod my way around and see how that would work. I may be one of the few people who enjoy playing the course - but my golf bag would a lot lighter after the round if I played there every week !  €25.00 to play the competition yesterday which I think is decent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭yuridwyer

Played the Heath August 2016, loved it for its toughness, played the Glen in June 2017, second course of the day after Rathsallagh, got pissed on and was bollocksed, but thought it was the best parkland I'd played, really thought it was fantastic, so much so as captain of our work society brought them to it at the end of April this year, everyone raved about it. Can't comment what it was like during the drought that was Ireland Summer 2018. Would choose Druid's Glen over Mount Juliet any day (and I'm a Kilkenny man)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Barrelat75

It would be great to see an Irish company buy the hotel & golf club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We are delighted to announce that The Neville Hotel Group has acquired Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort and the new ownership commenced on July 1st, 2019.
    After a wonderful 25 years under the ownership of the Flinn, Lappin and Hurley families, we look forward to continued success with The Neville Hotel Group, another Irish Independent family owned company.
    Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort is the fourth hotel for the Neville Group, who also own and operate The Royal Marine Hotel in Dun Laoghaire, The Tower Hotel in Waterford City, and The Kilkenny River Court Hotel.
    Commenting on the sale, Director of The Neville Hotel Group, Therese Neville, said “We are delighted to add the 5 Star Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort to our portfolio of hotels. This acquisition marks our fourth hotel and first golf course for the group. We are looking forward to investing in the property in the future to ensure its status as one of Ireland’s most iconic resorts.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

played up there last week. The Heath was a super course. I dunno why it's got such a bad review or reputation. The Glen was in great condition. Greens a bit slow compared to what I'm use to, but otherwise, in great knick. Fair play to all concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

bailey99 wrote: »
    played up there last week. The Heath was a super course. I dunno why it's got such a bad review or reputation. The Glen was in great condition. Greens a bit slow compared to what I'm use to, but otherwise, in great knick. Fair play to all concerned.

just goes to show you how opinions differ
    i have a pal who played there last week also. said the glen was in a jock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭luke9311

Worked in the hotel for about 10 months towards end of 2018 and up to give or take October/November 2019 mid way through 2019 when as staff we were all told who purchased the hotel a lot of the long term staff and managers and since left as they didn’t want to be apart of them and since I left (got a job closer to home I’m from Dublin) I hear more and more staff and management leave and that it’s only getting worse. Sad to see really I guess as it once had a decent reputation....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭REFLINE1

Any updates from members on current condition of Glen? Also with plans to close the Glen next year for works, will there be likely be a crazy demand for tee times in the Heath for 2022?

• Advertisement

Played the Glen on tuesday.. Definitly good news:)

There was a major cost cutting during the build up to sale, and both courses suffered badly. Still no major works on the Glen, but seems to be well managed now.

Fairways are in much better shape than previous, maybe even 7/10.
    Greens a little bit slow as they have been all year, but again a massive improvement over the bad times. again 7/10

There's a pretty big demand for slots in the Heath regardles; loads of new members; I think its close to limit.

Advertisement