Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philadelphia Eagles Thread

Options
  • 20-03-2012 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭

so what do people think of the eagles offseason so far its been quiet but we got some big names resigned and a settled offseason could be just what this team needs i think allen and coleman are underrated as safeties so in my opinion pick up a linebacker or 2 and combine that with other positions getting a chance to gel and where a serious Superbowl contender (just no talk of a dream team from any of the players please)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Xfire Elect

Big trade for DeMeco Ryans, hopefully he'll plug that massive hole in our roster (and middle of the field.) Interesting for the draft though, linebacker still the priority?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

id take kutchy if he's there if not then best player available id imagine its going to be a dt or an og if theres no clear value pick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Big trade for DeMeco Ryans, hopefully he'll plug that massive hole in our roster (and middle of the field.) Interesting for the draft though, linebacker still the priority?

If Phily are going to run the wide 9 on D they have to get another quality line backer to plug that huge hole that cost then dearly against the running game last year. They seem to sacrifice a solid run stop in favor of (an admittidly very good) pass rush. I think that decision cost then big time last season... Watching Babin and Cole explode off the corner is always entertaining tho!!!

i agree donnelly but the eagles have always been slow to pay linebackers having said that i said the same about wide receivers and then they got djax and maclin so well just have to see i dont think we need it but i think they go dt

nerd69 wrote: »
    i agree donnelly but the eagles have always been slow to pay linebackers having said that i said the same about wide receivers and then they got djax and maclin so well just have to see i dont think we need it but i think they go dt

Lets just hope DJax steps up his game this season...no more jogging those deep routes!!! I really hope Jackson will continue to put in work over the middle and not let a few big hits put him off. Although I'd say hes still recovering from the hit by Dunta Robinson in 2010...that was like a car crash!!!
    You could be onto something with the DT alright... I think DT and LB are the major areas that need a few new players. Anything to stop the run! O line might need a bit of work too I suppose but at least Vick can play around that a bit with his legs

• Advertisement

i think we need depth in the o-line but im relatively happy with what we have at the moment.
    djax is the big question i hope to god ready to give his all this year if not we have a lot of dead money invested in him if hes back to his best hes gona open up a lot of space for leshean by making the safteys stay wayyyyy deeper

No doubt when Jackson is on form hes the most dangerous man on the field, whoever is unlucky enough to get stuck covering him will have to stick to him like glue! Hopefully with his new contract he will stop whining and start playing again. Gotta see him dancing backwards into the endzone after an 80 yd play again! He can defiantly open the running game up too with pace like he has.

it would be nice to see i think the key is still the middle of the d we know the offense can do it

Looks like Asante might be traded away...shame he have the eagles 9 good years! Still it will let Nnamdi and DRC take over full time. And it will free up some salary cap for McCoy's big contact next year!

Looks like Asante might be traded away...shame he have the eagles 9 good years! Still it will let Nnamdi and DRC take over full time. And it will free up some salary cap for McCoy's big contact next year!

i really dont know what to think of this he is still our best playmaking cb but if we let him go drc and namdi can play man coverage and i know hes got a bug salary but that could be worth it alone for the look on elis face when he picks him 2-3 time a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Jason Peters torn Achilles Tendon

http://www.walterfootball.com/jasonpeterseagles.php

looks like a tackle in the draft we could spend it on a lot worse

With regards to asante, been a great performer, but the salary cap and depth at the position make it a necessary trade. I saw a mock draft predicting Kirkpatrick to come, would definitely not agree with that in the slightest.

Peters gone for probably the season. Bad news, but the one saving grace is the fact that Vick is a leftie, so his blind side isn't affected. As for drafting a linesman, maybe on the off chance reiff drops, but I can't see someone like Martin filling in too well.

With regards to asante, been a great performer, but the salary cap and depth at the position make it a necessary trade. I saw a mock draft predicting Kirkpatrick to come, would definitely not agree with that in the slightest.

Peters gone for probably the season. Bad news, but the one saving grace is the fact that Vick is a leftie, so his blind side isn't affected. As for drafting a linesman, maybe on the off chance reiff drops, but I can't see someone like Martin filling in too well.

kirkpatrick can play safety or he can be an inside cb so he could be worth a look if he drops
    ya where very lucky with vicky being a lefty and i trust herrimans there still i dont trust king dunlap as a starter so we need another lineman def wouldnt mind one in the first round

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

Very unfortunate about Peters alright. I was thinking for pick 15 that the eagles could just select the best player available regardless of position. I don't, however, think they will draft a left tackle in the first round seeing that peters will be back in 2013. Hopefully they will sign a decent guy for the season and will keep Vick safe.

I'm really up for this season though. The Eagles have a great shot at a Superbowl this season. No major weaknesses in the the team on offence. With the MLB position sorted and the fact we nearly shutout the Cowboys in our last game has given me a little more confidence in the Defence. It's unfortunate that the NFC east is one of the most competitive in the NFL. Any team could win it really. I suppose the Redskins would be the weakest team. RGIII probably won't be a huge success in his first year. (Bit overhyped IMO) I really think the eagles will win the NFC championship and get a crack at the Superbowl. Either that or Andy Reid's head! :P

just saw a highlight vid for fletcher cox.
    now i know anyone can look good in highlight vids but my god he looks awsome not so opposed to dt now.
    also andy ried said hes going for best player available instead of need because hes missed some big players going for need over the last few years

Ive seen a few videos of him, surly a first rounder! Watch the FG block at 2.15 he absolutely runs over his man.

he looks class id like to see the eagles take him but they never pick who i think they do if they do get him who would you compare him to day one

Most of what I've seen from him has been against a limited number of different O-Lines, from what i have seen is that hes a lot better against the run...not much of a pass rusher to be honest. While hes explosive off the line he seems to get a bit stuck in the pocket. He doesn't seem to be able to get around a blocker once contact is made. Defiantly good vision tho, he reads the plays well. I could see him fitting in well in Philly because they need a run stopper not a pass rusher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Just based on that video he needs significant work with his hands in order to disengage from blockers, has limited pass rushing moves (little beyond bull rush and even that needs work) and stands up too quickly on initial contact making it easier for the lineman. He's overreliant on his own strength and won't necessarily have that advantage at NFL level. I wouldn't take the field goal block as typical of his play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

Just to add my two cents to the dicussion about Fletcher Cox. I picked for the Eagles there in our mock draft and when I was researching for the pick, he was the name that seemed to appear the most. Other, more knowledgable people than me reckoned that by the time the Eagles picked, he would be still there. However, that was assuming that certain other players would be already gone, Poe being one, and certainly Coples and Ingram so based with those guys still being around, I would've gone Poe, Coples, Cox and Ingram.

Besides, its unlikely that any of those guys would actually become a starter straight away as the Eagles aint that short?

SK1979 wrote: »
    Just to add my two cents to the dicussion about Fletcher Cox. I picked for the Eagles there in our mock draft and when I was researching for the pick, he was the name that seemed to appear the most. Other, more knowledgable people than me reckoned that by the time the Eagles picked, he would be still there. However, that was assuming that certain other players would be already gone, Poe being one, and certainly Coples and Ingram so based with those guys still being around, I would've gone Poe, Coples, Cox and Ingram.

Besides, its unlikely that any of those guys would actually become a starter straight away as the Eagles aint that short?

i question poes motor hes a freak but didnt show the same speed/strenght on tape.
    i still like kuchey if hes there as a sam lb.
    how do people feel about mark barron havent seen much of him but seems like the only decent saftey in the draft

So Demetress (apparently his real first name) Bell has been brought in as a quick fix to Peters injury. A quick fix with a 5 year contract. King Dunlap isn't, and probably never will be, ready, and it looks like they're covering for the possibility that Peters won't recover.

So that means they can forget about drafting a tackle, which is great because I didn't really see a tackle besides Kalil and maybe reiff worth drafting first round. I have an inclination that the eagles will just go best player available, especially if there isn't any worth in the tackle position.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭bobo the clown

There is a roster bonus due next year for Bell so he could be released if he has a bad year.

LeSean should get an extension by the time the season comes. Derek Landri said he had a multi year offer from the eagles but that was changed to 1 year when Peters got injured. I cant remember what their cap situation is but I still think they might try to get Yeremiah Bell on a 1 or 2 year deal to give Jarrett, Allen and co veteran help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Yeah the Bell deal is for 5 years but realistically it has enough get out clauses that we can release him at the end of year one or year two without significant penalties

bell has potential but is injured a lot and i only realised when peters went down just how weak we are at tackle. i dont see anyone good enough being there at 15 unless we take decastro who looks like a beast and move watkins out to tackle(and remember watkins was only just drafted but hes old) but wouldnt be to comfortable with him there. id imagine well get a few "mud men" in the late rounds but other than that theres better value in other positions

actually could be worth trading our pick for the rams or browns 1st+ next year

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

nerd69 wrote: »
    actually could be worth trading our pick for the rams or browns 1st+ next year

Yeah that would be great but I doubt they would trade their pick to the Eagles. Both of those teams are more than likely going to have a losing record next year while the Eagles will, hopefully, contend for the superbowl next year. Not a hope in hell of that happening!

• Advertisement

irish_man wrote: »
    Yeah that would be great but I doubt they would trade their pick to the Eagles. Both of those teams are more than likely going to have a losing record next year while the Eagles will, hopefully, contend for the superbowl next year. Not a hope in hell of that happening!

ya but there getting a 15 this year theres a lot of players the rams would like there they have 2 1st round standard guys to help them make a gud run this year on top of that they have 2 1st rounders after the redskins trade.

on our side it means we can do what we want in the draft next year (qb of the future anyone) or if Tannehills there i like him vicks gona go down at some stage thats just a fact and do we really think edwards is good enough i dont know a lot about kafka i thought he shoulda been in instead of young last year they have to see some1 they like in the draft somwhere

Advertisement