Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philadelphia Eagles Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭nerd69

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    And DeSean is on injured reserved now as well. Why couldn't there be an Andrew Luck in college football this year :-(

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/67399/desean-jacksons-season-is-over
    I was thinking that last year we would have goten luck or at least rg3 looks like a pretty weak draft this year

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Should we start banging our heads against a wall now or wait five more weeks ?

To add to Djax being on IR, Jason peters is on IR and Jason Babin has been realeased by the eagles.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Should we start banging our heads against a wall now or wait five more weeks ?

were eagles fans probably should have started months ago we have a reputation to uphold and all that

To add to Djax being on IR, Jason peters is on IR and Jason Babin has been released by the eagles.

pity like the guy but we needed to get our young players playing graham is looking more like a 1st round pick and vinny curry looked really good on monday.
    also this probably means the end of jim Washburn and his wide 9 at the end of the year seems to be a guy that sticks with his guys (even wanted us to go after fat albert for a while) so i think this was done over his head

finally pretty pissed bryce brown didnt get one of the 5 nominations for rookie of the week
    http://www.nfl.com/voting/rookies/2012/REG/12
    ran for more yards and tds than both morris and richardson imo should have been ahead of everyone bar probably rg3 and tannihill

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000101960/article/cowboys-chargers-browns-jobs-would-be-among-best

thought we would be top job theres an argument for dallas and carolina ahead of us but i cant understand the rest

• Advertisement

Babin picked up by the jags. That's a strange one as he goes from one awful team to another.

Babin picked up by the jags. That's a strange one as he goes from one awful team to another.

they signed him off wavers so i dont think he had a choice as he was never a free agent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

nerd69 wrote: »
    they signed him off wavers so i dont think he had a choice as he was never a free agent

Yeah and the Jags go on the hook for the remainder of his contract too

also this probably means the end of jim Washburn and his wide 9 at the end of the year seems to be a guy that sticks with his guys (even wanted us to go after fat albert for a while) so i think this was done over his head
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000102559/article/jason-babin-release-reportedly-upset-jim-washburn :D

next call is andy ried to be hired by the browns within 2 years of leaving us

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/Report_Andy_Reid_could_become_next_Dallas_Cowboys_head_coach.html

really hope this does not happen i could see andy coming back to bite us in the ass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/Report_Andy_Reid_could_become_next_Dallas_Cowboys_head_coach.html

really hope this does not happen i could see andy coming back to bite us in the ass

Interesting one. You reckon there'll be bad blood when he goes, though? There'd really need to be for him to make that jump.

Like on one hand, you could see him taking it poorly that he was forced to face a public judgement of competence. But on the other...gah, the history he has with us! The Eagles have been his life for so long, could he really want to do damage to us after going through so much for us? And he's been allowed to coast on past successes for much longer than has been reasonable - he shouldn't have been around this season, but was kept on in good faith. Plus they've even supported him so much after the death of his son, they were happy to have him employ his son despite his past, etc.

There are also numerous other factors which we won't know about, obviously.

I hope he doesn't feel that way, it'd be a shame. I like Andy. I want to see him fired from his job with immediate effect...but I like him. He's done a lot for us and deserves a hero's farewell for that. So I'd hate if it all ended sourly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I don't think Reid owes anything to the Eagles if they fire him; he earnt his tenure through a head coaching career filled with play-off appearances and consistently competitive teams. Even the team he'll leave behind has plenty of scope for immediate play-off contention. The Eagles may discover just why they kept Reid so long when he's gone.

Why the heck not take a big money job, let alone one in a division where all his pre-existing experience can be best utilised? Out of loyalty to a team that just sacked him?

If Peyton Manning can be fired from the Colts Any Reid can coach the Cowboys.

Syferus wrote: »
    I don't think Reid owes anything to the Eagles if they fire him; he earnt his tenure through a head coaching career filled with play-off appearances and consistently competitive teams. Even the team he'll leave behind has plenty of scope for immediate play-off contention. The Eagles may discover just why they kept Reid so long when he's gone.

Why the heck not take a big money job, let alone one in a division where all his pre-existing experience can be best utilised? Out of loyalty to a team that just sacked him?

If Peyton Manning can be fired from the Colts Any Reid can coach the Cowboys.

i agree he does not owe us anything and personally i would not hold it against him but how did that work out for farve and lebron

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

i agree he does not owe us anything and personally i would not hold it against him but how did that work out for farve and lebron

Yeah, but why would he care? I'm sure Farve was thrilled with that 2009 season and Lebron is stoking his precious ring as we speak. In time they'll honour him either way. No one thinks of Joe Montana as a Kansas City Chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Didnt see last nights game yet, I'll be watching it this afternoon, so I'm not going to pass comment on it but I did just see that Washburn has been fired too. No harm to Reid but what do we accomplish by getting rid of a Def Co-Ord and D-Line coach in the middle of the season.

There's far more wrong at the organisation than just these cogs and the likes of Babin. We're a shambles and while it's good that it's finally dawned on people to stop saying "we shouldn't have this record, we're too talented" the fact is that over the last two years we've been a joke.

Reid is on the way out, Im not going to criticise him, but his message was lost the last two years. It happens as you stay in the same job for years. No shame in it but unless he's looking to ensure that the next head coach has a top five draft spot this move is the latest in a series of questionable calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Last night's game wasn't our worst performance, but that's what made it all the more depressing. It was like having an open goal and missing. The Cowboys were the typical, enigmatic Cowboys...but they were there for the taking and yet we still found a way to lose. Typical really. It doesn't even phase me anymore, I was more concerned with my Fantasy team tbh.

I can genuinely see us going 3-13 at this stage, which is just not on when you have our talent pool and resources at your disposal. That loss will cut us deep and, given that we're running with rookies now who aren't experienced in bouncing back from disappointments like this, there's not much to look forward to until the draft.

Michael Vick bemoans Eagles O-line coaching changes

By Gregg Rosenthal
    Around The League editor
    Published: Dec. 28, 2012 at 09:34 a.m. Updated: Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:10 a.m.

Michael Vick hasn't been nearly as effective in Philadelphia since his standout 2010 season with the Eagles. He traces some of his struggles back to the change of offensive line coach Juan Castillo to Howard Mudd.

"Because Howard and Juan are two totally different personalities and two totally different schemes," Vick recently told Zach Berman of the Philadelphia Inquirer. "And they like their own caliber of players. It was different. But we lost Juan to the defense, so I had to go with what I had to go with."

Vick, preparing for Sunday's tilt against the New York Giants in what should be his final game with the Eagles, was asked if the personnel scheme change affected him negatively.

"Obviously, yeah. Just being honest and candid about the situation," Vick said Thursday. "Things changed dramatically. It is what it is. ... We all kind of gradually worked our way into it until we got comfortable. I had to learn new protection schemes, verbiage. And we shuffled around a lot of players. So everybody had to start all over."

The offensive line changed players and schemes when Mudd arrived. Vick was asked to make protection calls in the system, which didn't work in 2011. The Eagles were going to have center Jason Kelce make the calls in 2012, but Kelce was lost to injury early in the season. Vick also had fewer run options.

"We mixed it as much as we could, and Marty got it called, and it was successful for us," Vick said, speaking about offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg. "But we just stopped doing it. I don't know if that's what Coach Mudd wanted to do."

Vick said that "in hindsight" the old system worked out better for him. Vick is just trying to be forthright, but this comes across as finger-pointing on the way out the door. He's throwing Mudd under the bus.

There are a lot of people that don't seem thrilled with Mudd's work in Philadelphia, but Vick's failure as a leader to recognize his own short-comings and role in the team's demise is not a new problem.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

Reid not only Eagles coach facing uncertainty

Les Bowen, Daily News Staff Writer
    POSTED: Friday, December 28, 2012, 12:40 AM
    IT ISN'T JUST Andy Reid who presumably will have to pack up his office next week at NovaCare. The Eagles' media guide lists 14 assistants, from Bobby April to Mike Zordich, who serve on Reid's staff; there are a few others in entry-level spots who don't rate mention, and a building full of trainers, equipment managers, strength coaches, secretaries and the like who could be affected by the ripples from what everyone expects to be the first Eagles head-coaching change in 14 years, within a day or 2 after this Sunday's season finale at the Giants.

Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, the staffer closest to Reid, has been here since 2003. This is by far Mornhinweg's longest stop in a coaching career that began fulltime in 1988, when Mornhinweg's bad knee wouldn't let him be an Arena League quarterback anymore. Like Reid, Mornhinweg officially is only thinking about the Giants, not about what comes next. Unofficially, that would be ridiculous.

While the Giants game "is a great responsibility - this is important to many of our players," Mornhinweg, 50, said Thursday, and that is his priority, he also thinks about the fact that "three of my [four] children will have graduated from high school right here in Philadelphia - one at Friends Select, right in the city, my oldest daughter [Madison], who's at Penn. My oldest son [Skyler], St. Joe's Prep, he's down there [on the football team] at Florida. My third [Molly Lynn] will graduate from Penn Charter this year. We all think we're West Coast people - heck, my kids are from Philadelphia. In fact, I was talking about that at Christmas with Molly. She's going off to college next year. I said, 'When people ask you where you're from, what will you say?' She said, 'Oh, I'm from Philadelphia.' "

Mornhinweg doesn't have much planned for next week, except maybe going down to New Orleans to watch his son's Gators play Louisville in the Sugar Bowl.

"Sometimes, the end is the beginning of something new," said Mornhinweg, who also reflected that coaching is the only job he has ever held, other than playing, since "working at the gas station in South San Jose in high school."

Four of those 14 coaches were on Reid's original staff in 1999. (I'm including defensive-line coach Tommy Brasher, who retired in 2005 and returned when Jim Washburn was fired Dec. 3). Running-backs coach Ted Williams, 69, actually predates Reid, having come aboard in 1995. It isn't clear that all the position coaches will be jettisoned by a new coach; typically, one or two are retained, but there's no way of predicting who might survive.

"Very important, oh my gosh!" running back LeSean McCoy said, when asked about the importance of Williams and his assistant, Duce Staley, to McCoy's development. "Hopefully, those guys are still there."

Tight end Brent Celek arrived as a fifth-round draft pick in 2007. Six years in the NFL, Celek's only position coach has been Tom Melvin, now 51, who arrived with Reid in 1999 (as did wide-receivers coach David Culley, 57).

"You hope it doesn't happen," Celek said Thursday, when asked about the possibility of a new tight-ends coach. "We'll see what the end of the season brings us. It's not our decision . . . Not only do you get to know the person [when a staff and players are together a long time], you get to know their families, their kids, wives. We as players, a lot of us don't have that; something happens to us, it's easy to transplant. For them, it's more drastic. You feel for 'em."

For several Reid assistants, this has been the only NFL coaching job. That's true for Melvin, for linebackers coach Mike Caldwell, who arrived in 2008, for defensive quality control coach Bobby April III, hired in 2011, for offensive quality control coach Matt Nagy (2010), for quarterbacks coach Doug Pederson (2009), special-teams quality control and assistant running-backs coach Staley (2010), and Zordich (2009), who coaches the safeties.

Even if you've moved before, the prospect of being dismissed and having to look for a job again is gut-wrenching. Defensive coordinator Todd Bowles has worked for five teams and came here just last winter, after finishing the 2011 season as interim head coach in Miami. Before that, Bowles, 49, said he always got to choose when he was leaving a team.

"It's different," said Bowles, who said he supposes he'll be able to take his kids to and from school for a change next week. "It's tough, as a competitor . . . You don't get used to it, but you can't control it, so you don't try to kill yourself over it."

Special-teams coordinator Bobby April said Thursday he doesn't think coming into the year knowing Reid was on the hot seat affected the staff. "You always walk the plank as a coach," he said. "No one's infallible."

April told a story about how he was recruiting the Dallas area for USC when the Cowboys fired Tom Landry in February 1989. April was supposed to be reading newspaper stories about high school stars, but his attention wandered to the adjacent stories and columns about the demise of the man who built the Cowboys into America's Team. "I couldn't believe it," he recalled.

"I've said it before, you never want too much security," April said. "Too much security, you get too complacent."

April, 59, was widely regarded as the best special-teams coach in the NFL when the Eagles hired him in 2010. That reputation has not been burnished here. What does his future hold?

"I have no idea," April said. "I hope it's good. I like living in the neighborhood over here on 20th Street. It's a good place, plus the city's a great place, and the organization's great.

"But I don't know. I have no idea. I couldn't tell you."

" @LesBowen

It's easy to forget that Reid may be the head coach but there is a whole coaching staff under him that may be in trouble.

most of the coaching staff are as guilty as him marty is a terrible offensive coordinator bobby april has not done a lot don't know enough about the specific positional coaches but I feel cleaning out house and freshening up the faces will do us a world of good

• Advertisement

Mcnabb is just bitter. If he was as good as he THINKS he was then were is the Lombardi from 2004 ?

most of the coaching staff are as guilty as him marty is a terrible offensive coordinator bobby april has not done a lot don't know enough about the specific positional coaches but I feel cleaning out house and freshening up the faces will do us a world of good

HC, DC,OC should go on Monday with any luck, but coaches below that are borderline. I'm going to re watch the superbowl just to clarify my opinions on mcnabb.

I understand your disappointment at us not winning in 2004 (although personally I think we blew our biggest chance in 2002 against the bucs) but the guy got us to 5 nfc champ games and 1 sb with no wrs bar westbrook ( and bar to for a few games), no run game and with andy ried not knowing what a run game is anyway.

he also played through some big injuries showing heart and all the while he was being abused by his own fan base.

I think we were right to let Donovan go when he did but I was always a fan of him during his time here I think he brought us a lot of success.
    just look at jim Kelly he got to 4 sbs but never won and he was a first ballot hall of famer the difference with mcnabb is he does not have a fan base behind him and so will likely not even become a nominee.

NFL.com are reporting that andy Reid is out as eagles head coach and he was told on Friday and I watched his presser tonight and he said he didn't know anything. Well I was an eagles fan for his first season and ill see him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Mcnabb is just bitter. If he was as good as he THINKS he was then were is the Lombardi from 2004 ?

In Tom Brady's gaff. No shame in losing to that Patriots team in fairness.

so whos it gona be lads gruden,kelly,mccoy?

davyjose wrote: »
    In Tom Brady's gaff. No shame in losing to that Patriots team in fairness.

It wasn't in foxboro so no it wasn't in bradys gaff. That night still annoys me nearly nine years later. I was so happy and stayed up the watch the whole thing and had my eagles jersey on and then to lose and whatever no5 did in the huddle(getting sick alegedly),he and the team and coach didnt do a good enough job.

It wasn't in foxboro so no it wasn't in bradys gaff. That night still annoys me nearly nine years later. I was so happy and stayed up the watch the whole thing and had my eagles jersey on and then to lose and whatever no5 did in the huddle(getting sick alegedly),he and the team and coach didnt do a good enough job.

Losing a sb is not doing a bad job mcnabb got us to a sb in pretty much the only year he had a quality receiver. Was I disappointed and am I to this day **** ya but we lost a sb to Brady at his peak hardly a disgrace

If your gona critacize the bucs loss was way worse and even then we got to the NFC champ game we were a joke till mcnabb and ried came along they made us relivant we couldn't get over the Hump with them but they hardly did a **** job

Furthermore a player getting sick in a huddle in the last quarter of the sb was hardly him throwing a game it's the sb ole to of players get nervous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

You asked where the trophy was. /just sayin.

• Advertisement

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Eagles-Announce-End-Of-Reids-Tenure/02b4c730-d341-4dd5-aa03-fecd9728c4ba

Officially announced by the eagles.
    Eagles live in on the air at 4pm irish time and Chairman and CEO Jeffrey Lurie will hold a press conference at 12pm ET/ 5pm GMT to explain the move.

Advertisement