Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Portsalon tomorrow. Open comp €25
    Looking at ballyliffin glashedy in a few weeks for €30 and another trip to rospenna over the xmas period for the team scramble, €25.

Couldn't beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

slave1 wrote: »
    Carne is just class, love the par 3's, real quiet when I played there, not a sinner so I played all the par 3's from every available tee box to test them all out, bliss

Reasonably big fan of Carne myself, having played it in dreadful conditions as well as good. Greens were superb last July, having been awful two years previously.

One bone of contention I have is the 12th hole, little Mickey mouse par 4 after the 11th downhill dog leg right. An awful hole that doesn't belong at all. Makes a mockery of the rest of them tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Portsalon tomorrow. Open comp €25
    Looking at ballyliffin glashedy in a few weeks for €30 and another trip to rospenna over the xmas period for the team scramble, €25.

Couldn't beat it.

Played the Glasheady last weekend........very very underwhelming. Few cracking holes, but expected much more for an Irish Open host. Loads of bunkers GUR being done up for next year. Definitely not worth the 3 hour drive for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

JCDUB wrote: »
    Reasonably big fan of Carne myself, having played it in dreadful conditions as well as good. Greens were superb last July, having been awful two years previously.

One bone of contention I have is the 12th hole, little Mickey mouse par 4 after the 11th downhill dog leg right. An awful hole that doesn't belong at all. Makes a mockery of the rest of them tbh

Not sure I'd agree. The hole has to get from the high ground near the 11th green to the lowest part of the property where the 13th tee is. It achieves this by having the hole dogleg in the opposite way to the hole before it so that offers a bit of variety. Strategy is also important as you hit it too far you run out of room and if you underclub the dune on your left will block or partially block the green. Also come at the green from that angle and you run the risk of finding the steep bank to the right of the green if you can't hook your approach shot sufficiently. Even of you find the perfect spot on the fairway the elevated green can be tricky to find due to it's false front. Ive noticed too that as the bank on the left protects the green the wind affects the ball on your approach far more if you pitch it above the height of the dune. Keep it low and the ball will be protected and will stay on line better. There are plenty of nuances to that hole in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Played Bettystown today after putting it off for a long time.

Don't have much to compare it to links wise ( Portmarnock Hotel/Greenore/Seapoint/Corballis) but I was plesantly surprised.

Great condition and loved the bunkers with straight forward enough greens.

The only issue I'd have is directions on the course and some of the blind shots. No real clear directions on which green your hitting to or where the next tee box is. I know I did find them and its not the end of the world but as a first time visitor I didn't find it as easy as it should have been. Not a fan of the 18th either, no guide for where the green is on approach like some holes have so alot of running back and forth for lines.

L3F2ReJ.jpg

BNNvj9q.jpeg

ok2jGuv.jpeg

6zrfIJj.jpeg

In7lAmC.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Long time since I hit a hard cold winter windy day on the coast and had an option of St Anne's or Corballis today.

I haven't got to play too much this winter and missing the trips further afield, like The European or Baltray or Portmarnock Links or even Laytown.

If you get the right day , the right place on the course - you can have the place all to your crazy self this time of year. There is nothing like it (if you like it) - when you have the clothing , the crisp air, the hot flask. A few have been know to have something stronger.

But getting out of the car in St Anne's, it was a day, that you genuinely go - not sure about this , too cold and crazy and wild and the range is only 20 minutes away. The flag post is rattling with the wind - the birds are flying low and below the cover of the dunes. It is grey and bleak.

But , you just have to go for it - underarmour , lined trouser , 2nd layer, 3rd layer , wind breaker - two hats :D, yes two hats.
    And if you have cream - wind burn cream. Seriously needed.

And if you just go for it, it may not be only for the golf - it can be a justification for the voucher and the winter socks the wife gets you for Christmas. :)

So before you go snowflake with 3/4 layers - give it a go. It is golf by name - but you are aiming a driver 150 yards + off target , it then sling shots with ferocious top spin back into play or into the rough.

The gps is out the window - the bag is blowing over and head covers are kites.

Picking a club is visual and experience and at times luck. Telling yourself to aim 100 yards off line , holding club face open or closing it with aggressive release is the tricks of a type of golf that is loved by some, but hated by most.

It is more about a physical and personal challenge. A mental one too.
    In a non golfer's view and perhaps a golfer's view - it is a form of madness to play golf in winter and in 10m/s wind speed - today was 8 deg.C - I've been in worse.

Again is it golf at all - it is, but of limited value to you for the majority of your golfing life.

You'd often see this type of golf in top amateur events in Ireland and it is amazing to see lads who can get the ball around near par and also see + handicap players reduced to tears of pain and irritation.

It isn't for everyone and add the winter cold - it is a extreme form of our game.

Started, Par - treble, bogey, bogey.
    Not great - but a bogey was a genuine good score.

I genuinely was out of practice and at the 5th started to forget about flags and aimed at targets in the horizon - you were getting a feel for it , set up for a closed face - pick a target 60 yards left , 90 yards right.

Went Par, bogey, Par, bogey, Par, Par - and that was about as good as I can play.

When the ball was going well and the pars were being made - the wind and conditions and cold were gone. There was pleasure in being out, away from work and money and traffic and city life and Trump and housing and real life.

You hit 17 and are embracing the cross wind, your pin high - par, you hit a big drive on 18, par. The flag pole is rattling again. You start thinking , I loved that and I'm sorry it is over.

I miss winter golf.

I always look out and go - who on earth would play in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭a post punk

Playing Corballis next Saturday for the first time!! What’s the trek like and what holes should I look out for ??

Playing Corballis next Saturday for the first time!! What’s the trek like and what holes should I look out for ??

Here is a post from Golfgraffix and he knows the place backwards.

I wouldn't go expecting the best course in the world - but it is seaside all year long fun golf with some cracking holes.

It is very short and get the idea out of your head - that it is a normal big round of golf - it is a short round involving 80% iron play.

I'll post under each to see If I'd go along with it - but a links course provides options - feedback from J or myslef are based on the fact when you make a mistake there - you are talking a 7/8/9.

Golfgraffx wrote: »
    Wonder if will be on the same page

1/ don't be long, you can get up and from most spots but the hill at the back

In winter you are better off not short - the back should act as a backstop and short is not that nice on the hole - be pin high :D, but remember the green is high up if you are lower down - normally a 9 iron

2/ chicken out and don't be tempted, depending on wind a 7 iron and wedge is enough. Long right or left off the tee is as dead as disco

Sounds good - more club if into wind less if behind.

3/ decision time, is it early enough in the round to be aggressive, it's all about the drive. you just gotta keep it between the dunes, I wouldnt be worried about distance off the tee, 3 hits to the green and two putts is a great score

I think J is being far more sensible here than he normally is :), it is sensible to play to open part of fairway - but I love a drive on this hole

4/ time for soft hands and a smooth tempo, I normally hit my 56 about 80%. Don't miss left

Spot on - but can be up to a 52/pw if wind in face from sea -
    left is death , right is death , long is death - short is safe

5/ what ever you hit 190/200 and straight. Tricky green, watch out for the pin position, two tiered and 3 putt very possible

Spot on

6/ one more than 4

Very very hard to get club right - very large drop to green ,
    wind pin - class hole.

7/ don't be tempted. 7 iron to the marker and 9/pw in, if in doubt go long on the second, hard up and down if you miss short

Spot on have found out over the years that more club like a 6 or 5 is rewarded more often than not (wind into face). But 7 risk free

8/ Driver at the little bunker with a little draw is good, tiger line is the waters edge with a fade. Often a blind second shot so walk up and have a look. Big green so you can be aggressive.

Not sure about a draw here with Red stakes left. straight at the house on hill

9/ only one way to play it, aim right to go left. 5 iron normal for me. Little drain at the back so don't be long

Spot on , but wind key - being very right is never that bad as green rolls out to pin and all towards left

10/ 5 iron and no trouble.

Spot on - wind but

11/ more decisions but play safe. 6 iron dead straight, maybe even 7. Easy big green, you cannot miss it long

Spot on - I know people go for this green - but a form of prov1 madness , it is a hard lay up , but is a decent ball striker 6 iron at post -
    5 iron if cold or wind

12/ driver at the hut is good but a good drive a little right can be easily on. Safe route 4 iron//5iron/wedge and a chance at birdie

Sensible from J - but again I love driving on this hole as you are only going to get maybe 4/5 drives all day

13/ close your eyes and hope your karma is good. Lap of the gods stuff. Extra underwear needed if you have a downhill putt.

Well said - but over the years you see most golfers making the error of being short , I'd say pick your club for back of green - note how green above you , so this is why people under club, again very very hard to get club right

14/ great hole, normally rescue and an 8 here for me. Tonnes of room on the left none on the right

If your a great ball stricker you can hit a 4 or 5, but it should be a 3 wood for most players at the walkway

15/ open your shoulders right or left of the bunker is good

spot on

16/ same as 15 but backwards, a little longer though. Tough green big slope

spot on

17/ designed by Helen Keller I believe. Not sure what to say ???

spot on, don't be short , long, left, right or be on green :D

18/ 3 wood or rescue?? Just don't be right. Just left of centre is a great line in. Balls often come up short so give it enough club on the second shot, tough up and down if you miss right.

so much room on left - aim at bunker on left hill . good ball striker could use a 3 wood or 4 iron as drive will reach bunker.

J

It is not much of a golf course - but it just has you thinking all the way round.

Here is a post from Golfgraffix and he knows the place backwards.

I wouldn't go expecting the best course in the world - but it is seaside all year long fun golf with some cracking holes.

It is very short and get the idea out of your head - that it is a normal big round of golf - it is a short round involving 80% iron play.

I'll post under each to see If I'd go along with it - but a links course provides options - feedback from J or myslef are based on the fact when you make a mistake there - you are talking a 7/8/9.

Golfgraffx wrote: »
    Wonder if will be on the same page

1/ don't be long, you can get up and from most spots but the hill at the back

In winter you are better off not short - the back should act as a backstop and short is not that nice on the hole - be pin high :D, but remember the green is high up if you are lower down - normally a 9 iron

2/ chicken out and don't be tempted, depending on wind a 7 iron and wedge is enough. Long right or left off the tee is as dead as disco

Sounds good - more club if into wind less if behind.

3/ decision time, is it early enough in the round to be aggressive, it's all about the drive. you just gotta keep it between the dunes, I wouldnt be worried about distance off the tee, 3 hits to the green and two putts is a great score

I think J is being far more sensible here than he normally is :), it is sensible to play to open part of fairway - but I love a drive on this hole

4/ time for soft hands and a smooth tempo, I normally hit my 56 about 80%. Don't miss left

Spot on - but can be up to a 52/pw if wind in face from sea -
    left is death , right is death , long is death - short is safe

5/ what ever you hit 190/200 and straight. Tricky green, watch out for the pin position, two tiered and 3 putt very possible

Spot on

6/ one more than 4

Very very hard to get club right - very large drop to green ,
    wind pin - class hole.

7/ don't be tempted. 7 iron to the marker and 9/pw in, if in doubt go long on the second, hard up and down if you miss short

Spot on have found out over the years that more club like a 6 or 5 is rewarded more often than not (wind into face). But 7 risk free

8/ Driver at the little bunker with a little draw is good, tiger line is the waters edge with a fade. Often a blind second shot so walk up and have a look. Big green so you can be aggressive.

Not sure about a draw here with Red stakes left. straight at the house on hill

9/ only one way to play it, aim right to go left. 5 iron normal for me. Little drain at the back so don't be long

Spot on , but wind key - being very right is never that bad as green rolls out to pin and all towards left

10/ 5 iron and no trouble.

Spot on - wind but

11/ more decisions but play safe. 6 iron dead straight, maybe even 7. Easy big green, you cannot miss it long

Spot on - I know people go for this green - but a form of prov1 madness , it is a hard lay up , but is a decent ball striker 6 iron at post -
    5 iron if cold or wind

12/ driver at the hut is good but a good drive a little right can be easily on. Safe route 4 iron//5iron/wedge and a chance at birdie

Sensible from J - but again I love driving on this hole as you are only going to get maybe 4/5 drives all day

13/ close your eyes and hope your karma is good. Lap of the gods stuff. Extra underwear needed if you have a downhill putt.

Well said - but over the years you see most golfers making the error of being short , I'd say pick your club for back of green - note how green above you , so this is why people under club, again very very hard to get club right

14/ great hole, normally rescue and an 8 here for me. Tonnes of room on the left none on the right

If your a great ball stricker you can hit a 4 or 5, but it should be a 3 wood for most players at the walkway

15/ open your shoulders right or left of the bunker is good

spot on

16/ same as 15 but backwards, a little longer though. Tough green big slope

spot on

17/ designed by Helen Keller I believe. Not sure what to say ???

spot on, don't be short , long, left, right or be on green :D

18/ 3 wood or rescue?? Just don't be right. Just left of centre is a great line in. Balls often come up short so give it enough club on the second shot, tough up and down if you miss right.

so much room on left - aim at bunker on left hill . good ball striker could use a 3 wood or 4 iron as drive will reach bunker.

J

It is not much of a golf course - but it just has you thinking all the way round.
    Cheers fixed, handy notes for the day.........might see you at an outing during the year:)

• Advertisement

Cheers fixed, handy notes for the day.........might see you at an outing during the year:)

Might try get there next week.

Just sorting a few things.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

For Corballis, all you need is a 7 iron, a PW and a Putter and most importantly - use your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

charlieIRL wrote: »
    For Corballis, all you need is a 7 iron, a PW and a Putter and most importantly - use your head.

Sounds like you'll have a light bag with you then Charlie

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Sounds like you'll have a light bag with you then Charlie

No, it'll weigh a ton..............need lots and lots and lots of balls!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

charlieIRL wrote: »

And don't hook the ball lots of trouble on left , a bit like Augusta it suits a nice fade on a lot of holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Feel like a kid at Christmas; from today I'll be playing my Sunday comps on one of the best Links courses in the country. That is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

idle wrote: »
    Feel like a kid at Christmas; from today I'll be playing my Sunday comps on one of the best Links courses in the country. That is all

Do tell......which one?

Awful day for playing Corballis yesterday ,I dont think we enjoyed it as much as we should have.Its a great setting,the course is in great condition with all the bad weather.I found the greens excellent, very fast with suttle breaks everywhere testing everyman.I loved the par 3 -4th hole myself.Club selection would be alot different on a return visit for the blind holes.15 and 16 with the criss cross fairway is a bit of madness alright..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I heard even Corballis was closed due to flooding today !

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Jawgap wrote: »
    Do tell......which one?

I'll throw up a few pics when (if) the weather improves

• Advertisement

idle wrote: »
    I'll throw up a few pics when (if) the weather improves

In kerry I guess ?

Only links a Cork man could ever get to play :D

In kerry I guess ?

Only links a Cork man could ever get to play :D

Old Head is a links is it not?

Grabs popcorn.

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Old Head is a links is it not?

Grabs popcorn.

A lego Links.

A lego Links.

I've played it once. Certainly not links. But some amazing holes there. Not sure there is another course like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Playing Carne this weekend folks . What's consider the best 18 to play?

Back 9 of the original routing and the Kilmore 9 although that said the Kilmore 9 was closed when I was there back in October. I played the back 9 twice instead. Heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Back 9 of the original routing and the Kilmore 9 although that said the Kilmore 9 was closed when I was there back in October. I played the back 9 twice instead. Heaven.

The Kilmore 9 are still closed. The plan is to re-open them this year. I was up the 1st week of January... here are some pics. It was zero degrees!

2nd green:

9th at sunrise:

The 17th:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The Kilmore 9 are still closed. The plan is to re-open them this year. I was up the 1st week of January... here are some pics. It was zero degrees!

Thats disappointing. Playing it Saturday and Sunday and thought we had 27 holes to choose from.

2nd green:

9th at sunrise:

The 17th:

Great photos as always Kevin. That 17th is one seriously tough hole. And it hits you right after the comparably easy drop-shot 16th.

• Advertisement

I've had a great run of links course the last few weeks.

Royal Dublin.
    St Andrews (New, Old, Jubilee)
    Royal County Down.

I played fairly good golf the last while - but yesterday my ass was handed to me on a plate - Without losing a ball I shot a 90. Was a miserable day golf wise) - taking 4 shots from under 100 yards on about 4 occasions. The bunkers were soft and when you went in, was a full ball plug and in RCD that is death.

Anyway - nothing like that place to put you back in your place.

The winter rate is still active , but it is still £100 - but it quickly rises from April on. The setting is truly outstanding. I've been up 3 times over the last 7 years and the clouds falling from Slieve Donard into the sea is a sight to see. It literally is like a moving painting of a backdrop and in the winter it is yours for the day. You can see why they travel the world to play it.

RCD has a fairly bad reputation as being unfriendly, a bit up-itself and unwelcoming. But to be honest, I couldn't complain , everyone from the pro , to the clubhouse staff, starter , to the restaurant staff, couldn't do enough for you. At the end of the day , it is ranked in the top 10 in the world and I'd imagine it would be fairly similar in the US , except more fake. Their is an honesty to their identity at least. We are a Royal course, we are deep in the history of the game, we have British heritage.

So lets get on with it - we are here for the golf. We are the same in that regard, we are from the same Golf Union.

The photos on the wall are outstanding - the history, all the names in the game have payed it (I mean all). Tiger, Jack, Arnold, Faldo, McIlroy.

That feeling on the first tee of a big course is something else. You remember looking at the photos as a kid , dreaming of playing these course all over the world and then it is your time on that first tee.

So lets get on with it - we are here for the golf.

The run from 1 to 12 has got to be one of the best runs of golf out there. Just a joy of links golf. Everything in there. The big dunes and hidden danger, the run offs , the best bunkers in the world , the blind drives , the raised tee boxes, the sea view. Just outstanding.

I was blessed with the weather and slieve Donard always threatened a bit of rain , but the sun came out at times , an honest wind kept it in true links conditions.

The bunkers there are completely unique - genius, natural and cruel. The idea of growing heather or just letting them be natural parts of the course is stunning. Impossibly difficult - but such an identity to the course. There are 100s of them. side hils , down hills, hidden , back the front , large, pot, deep, shallow and whilst painful. It Was a delight to see them all in play, versus our recent winter St Andrews trip.

Now to the truth about winter rates. The course is fully in play. But you are so forward it makes the holes comically different. You are basically at the women's tee box and some of these kill the holes. Not to mention place you in the wrong place for the stone markers and the true experience of the course. Then the normal walkways are roped off , entry to the greens are roped off. It didn't ruin the experience. But it made for a long walk, visual impact on your greenside shots and very disappointing tee boxes. It certainly didn't help scoring :D

What great golf holes. They are simply impossible to describe. You't try think of other courses like it. But it is a very unusual course. I started to hit the ball reasonble ok on the back nine - and the course becomes easier. Yes the quality of the course drops of as you approach the end and 17 and 18 are not up to the high standards. But the standards on the front nine are impossible high to maintain.

I had a fairly poor sleep the night before. Just off the 18th in 2 I ended up with a 6, that seemed to sum up my day. I left the course disappointed, exhilarated , exhausted, contemplative , angry, wanting revenge.

Great links course can sometimes take years to master. They find you out and tell you the truth about your game.

I hit the spa in the Slieve Donard hotel, battered and torn and realized I had to dream it all up again. I can't let that be my last outing in RCD. Great courses make you want to get your own back on them.

I looked out at the sea and the coastline of County Down , what a stunning and complex place. I'll be back, to try unravel it all a bit more again.

Advertisement