Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plateau on deadlift

Options
  • 08-03-2019 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Female here in 40s , been lifting a few years but only barbell deadlifting 10months. My 1RM is 1.9 times body weight and was hoping to make the double body weight goal by summer. However the past 2 months haven't been able to increase at all. Wondering if I've reached my max with my age and should just strive to maintain this weight? Don't want to do the whole bulk/cut thing and am just eating at maintenance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

seefin wrote: »
    Female here in 40s , been lifting a few years but only barbell deadlifting 10months. My 1RM is 1.9 times body weight and was hoping to make the double body weight goal by summer. However the past 2 months haven't been able to increase at all. Wondering if I've reached my max with my age and should just strive to maintain this weight? Don't want to do the whole bulk/cut thing and am just eating at maintenance.

What percentage range are you working in? What kind of program are you doing currently?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,080 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Double BW is a serious DL for a female. Most blokes who casually hit the gym wouldn't manage that.
    How often do you deadlift. How many sets, reps, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Deadlift once a week. Vary program every 5 weeks eg 4 sets of 5 or 8,6,4,2 . Never done an actual 1rm as worried about my back. Do heavy rdls on my second leg day. Was thinking today and wonder am I just tired and need a week off? Last week off was early January . How often should I deload? Especially seeing as am not 20 .
    Didn't realise twice bodyweight was that big a deal for a female
    I only take a week off 4 or 5 times a year

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you look at the female M1 (40-49) national records in the IrishPF, 2.5 times BW is about what it is at

If you look at the female M1 (40-49) national records in the IrishPF, 2.5 times BW is about what it is at

So double should be achievable. I'll take a break and try up the weight again. Is it normal enough to go through a month where stall ?

• Advertisement

So double should be achievable. I'll take a break and try up the weight again. Is it normal enough to go through a month where stall ?

Yes. The rep ranges you describe, are you making out on each set?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

Mellor wrote: »
    Double BW is a serious DL for a female. Most blokes who casually hit the gym wouldn't manage that.
    How often do you deadlift. How many sets, reps, etc
    +1
    I was delighted when 90kg me hit 180kg
    Double is very good for the dl

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Yes. The rep ranges you describe, are you making out on each set?

Kissing between sets would probably be distracting alright.

I'm saying you're at a good standard and you've hit a small plateau.

That said, you can look at technique or how your training is set up both in terms of intensity and volume.

Is there a point where you break down and you start to miss lifts?

What does a deadlift session look like, e.g. how heavy do you go in terms of how many more reps you could do of your heaviest set?

How do you get to your top set, ie how much work is done before and is there any after?

Just means looking at what you can tweak to get you over a hump.

Deadlift once a week. Vary program every 5 weeks eg 4 sets of 5 or 8,6,4,2 . Never done an actual 1rm as worried about my back.

Follow an actual progressive program instead of randomly varying it every few weeks.

When you do 5 reps, how heavy are you lifting?
    Same question for 2 reps?
    What's your bodyweight

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote:
    When you do 5 reps, how heavy are you lifting? Same question for 2 reps? What's your bodyweight

Weigh 50kg
    Been stalled at 82 for 2 and 76.5 for 6 reps . When did sets of 5 last month was 76.5kg each set. Have micro plates so able increase in small amounts. Maintain good form for all reps even last one . But do go to failure .

How often should I be deloading given my age? Conflicting info online

How often should I be deloading given my age? Conflicting info online
    Unfortunately the answer is "as often as you need to".
    There's way more varibles that just age.

If your progress has stalled completely, I'd deload now.
    To hit double BW, you'd need to get that 5RM from 76.5kg to about 90kg
    Wind it back and try and go with 5rep linear progression.

Weight [sets]x[reps]
    70kg 5x5
    72.5kg 5x5
    75kg 5x5
    77.5kg 3x5
    79kg 3x5
    80kg 3x5
    85kg 3x3
    87kg 3x3

If that goes well I'd take a craic at a single

Will give a go. Thanks

Don't think will be able to jump 5kg at a go though. May do 2.5kg instead.

Will give a go. Thanks

Don't think will be able to jump 5kg at a go though. May do 2.5kg instead.
    It's not a 5kg jump. The reps changed from 5s to 3s. It's kind bad importabt to do it like that as a 2.5kg jump for a triple would be a step backwards.
    I just notice your 76.5 PR is for 6 reps, that puts you slightly further along. So I'd increase a bit.

Weight [sets]x[reps]
    72.5kg 5x5
    75kg 5x5
    77.5kg 5x5
    80kg 3x5
    81.5kg 3x5
    83kg 3x5
    88kg 3x3
    90kg 3x3

Last two weeks are 3 reps. If you do that as Rx'd, you'll be good for a 95kg single. Another round should get you to 100kg

Mellor wrote:
    It's not a 5kg jump. The reps changed from 5s to 3s. It's kind bad importabt to do it like that as a 2.5kg jump for a triple would be a step backwards. I just notice your 76.5 PR is for 6 reps, that puts you slightly further along. So I'd increase a bit.

Doh, hadn't thought of that. I'll give this a go after taking next week off. Thanks Mellor

Doh, hadn't thought of that. I'll give this a go after taking next week off. Thanks Mellor

On your Deload, don’t do nothing!

Dtp1979 wrote:

I'll go 60% weight? Prefer lower weight than decreasing volume. Body needs a break, have alot of niggles past few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Don't agree with this. Have always found it much better to train during an unloading week. As a rule of thumb do about 60% of the reps of a loading week.

It's important to have a distinction between a deload week and a complete rest week. Deload weeks are just weeks where you train with either reduced intensity, volume or some combo of both. They are generally done every third or fourth week (at least in Olympic lifting) if you are following any sort of program with a large amount of volume. It also depends on you training age, novices may be able to go longer without deloading (a la starting strength, etc.).

A complete rest week is something you do if you have just completed a long training cycle or have just peaked and competed at a competition.

DylanJM wrote: »
    Don't agree with this. Have always found it much better to train during an unloading week. As a rule of thumb do about 60% of the reps of a loading week.

Why don’t you agree? We basically mean the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Why don’t you agree? We basically mean the same thing.

Apologies, misread your post. Thought you were saying not to do anything.

Is it ok to lower the weight rather then lower number of reps?

On a Deload?

Dtp1979 wrote:
    On a Deload?

Yeah

Yeah

For the week of your Deload just take it back a tad. Maybe around the same rep ranges but drop the weight. Drop a set too.

You're trying to reduce fatigue. I would be inclined to do both. In most cases, volume will be a bigger cause of fatigue so drop back the reps AND weight.

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm going to reload as ye said every 6 weeks or so. I was able to get away without for the first few years but find have constant niggles the past year so need to force myself to take these weeks

Dropping reps is optional on a reload. Dropping weights is a given imo.
    Generally just making a hard session an easy session.

Advertisement