Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you tip the delivery guy/gal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

khaldrogo wrote: »
    No more than anyone else in the service industry

Yeah that's it. That's why I don't tip delivery drivers, bus drivers, shop assistants, secretaries, bar staff, barbers or doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭LeBash

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    If these students are relying on tips to pay their rent then it's the business owner's fault for not compensating them enough for their labour rather than the customer.

Tipping drivers for delivering your food is a tacit approval of their employers not paying them a decent wage. As far as I'm concerned it's an endorsement of exploitation.

And yet, we live in a world that some people still need this "the endorsement".

Some people can only work 20 hours a week or odd hours because of their studies or status in the country.

I wouldnt fancy trying to pay rent on min wage and only 20 hours of it. But it's some peoples reality.

Even if they are working 40 hours a week and delivery driver in the evening, they are still doing it and its sound to give someone a couple of quid. I hope the lad that calls to my door once a week is absolutely rolling in money because hes nice lad, very polite and hes delivering food I'm willing to wait for. I believe that's not the case though and my 2 quid is helping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Of course I begrudge someone not paying tax, you do realise what taxes are for. Also you are paid to do the job why are you even hopeful of a tip. What have you done outside of what you are paid to do to justify your hope?

I do pay tax. Lots of tax.

Since when does hope need to be justified???

I hope you have a nice day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

LeBash wrote: »
    And yet, we live in a world that some people still need this "the endorsement".

Some people can only work 20 hours a week or odd hours because of their studies or status in the country.

I wouldnt fancy trying to pay rent on min wage and only 20 hours of it. But it's some peoples reality.

Even if they are working 40 hours a week and delivery driver in the evening, they are still doing it and its sound to give someone a couple of quid. I hope the lad that calls to my door once a week is absolutely rolling in money because hes nice lad, very polite and hes delivering food I'm willing to wait for. I believe that's not the case though and my 2 quid is helping out.

I hope he’s rolling in money as well but it’s his employer’s responsibility to ensure that rather than the customer.

Imagine the gall of these people. Bad enough they sell this sludge but they also want the customer to directly pay their employees wages as well. It’s obscene.

Omackeral wrote: »
    You're come as one miserable f*cker on this subject. Takeaways are a nice treat the odd time. Nothing wrong with them in moderation. Some Indian places do amazing food that you'd fail to rustle up yourself. Pizza night with the family can be lovely, say for the Toy Show or something. Kids love that type of thing. Burritos to your door when you're a bit hungover. Nice one. There's a multitude of good food out there, it's not all muck from the local chipper.

I recall you mentioning being so overweight from eating that kind of midden you had to join this website’s football team to try to get into some shape. I’d rather eat from a skip than sink that low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

On average I'd say they are the same, around 1e per delivery averaged out. There is just less people tipping

That doesn't really answer the question what do you get in tips over a night? No idea how many deliveries you do a night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I do pay tax. Lots of tax.

Since when does hope need to be justified???

I hope you have a nice day.

You're really terrible at answering questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I recall you mentioning being so overweight from eating that kind of midden you had to join this website’s football team to try to get into some shape. I’d rather eat from a skip than sink that low.

That's some standards you've got there dude, well done you.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The 'I don't tip because the delivery drivers won't pay tax on it' has to be one of the most stupid reasons to justify meanness anyone has ever come up with.

Delivery drivers should be in a position where they can afford to pay tax. Seeing as their employers refuse to pay anything close to a living wage, though, I consider the drivers to be victims of tyranny. Thus they’re morally exempt from paying tax in their earnings in my view.
    That's some standards you've got there dude, well done you.

What are you saying exactly?

• Advertisement

Delivery drivers should be in a position where they can afford to pay tax. Seeing as their employers refuse to pay anything close to a living wage, though, I consider the drivers to be victims of tyranny. Thus they’re morally exempt from paying tax in their earnings in my view.

What are you saying exactly?

Which part of the 10 word sentence do you not understand?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Which part of the 10 word sentence do you not understand?

All of it. Those ten words may as well have been “Juice tractor bean poster elk pond monitor Japanese robust mushroom” for all the sense they made.

All of it. Those ten words may as well have been “Juice tractor bean poster elk pond monitor Japanese robust mushroom” for all the sense they made.

Oh right Woke Hogan, now I understand where you are coming from even better.

Don't worry about it, be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

You're come as one miserable f*cker on this subject. Takeaways are a nice treat the odd time. Nothing wrong with them in moderation. Some Indian places do amazing food that you'd fail to rustle up yourself. Pizza night with the family can be lovely, say for the Toy Show or something. Kids love that type of thing. Burritos to your door when you're a bit hungover. Nice one. There's a multitude of good food out there, it's not all muck from the local chipper.

Mod

Cut of the petty insults & aggro.

Cards will be issued if it continues

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

Was a delivery guy for a while, the people that would tip would mostly be the poor people, been offered sweets, beer, pie, etc.
    I never tip, if I wanna do charity work I do charity work but definitely not by tipping, why would I hand over money for nothing?
    This argument with he has bills to pay means nothing, I got bills to pay as well will you give me free money?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

rosmoke wrote: »
    This argument with he has bills to pay means nothing, I got bills to pay as well will you give me free money?

Will you bring my shopping home for me?

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

Will you bring my shopping home for me?

If you pay more than my current salary why not? Market & Demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I dont tip delivery drivers because I don't tip delivery drivers.

Simple as, the list of the traditional 'who needs to be tipped' seems to be getting longer by the day.

Fair play to the ones that do, and fair play to the ones that don't. No big deal. And if any delivery driver ever had a problem with me not tipping, I'd probably stop ordering from there. It's an ignorant thing to assume someone will tip you, i might tip them at Christmas or if there's a storm, but there's no need to be tipping them every weekend when they deliver your pizza simply for doing their job. I wouldn't tip the deli woman in my local spar for simply making my roll and doing her job

Again. There's no wrong or right with it tbh. I keep my tipping the old fashioned way, if I'm happy with service in a restaurant.

I worked in a small takeaway, not a chain, and the delivery guy was getting €40 a night plus each delivery charge and tips. So that's like a full day's work for someone on minimum wage except he only needed to do 5-10pm or whatever. Plus it was cash in hand so probably gets his €200 dole on top of 4-5 nights a week driving so, it's not like he badly needs my extra euro or two

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

No not at all. You recall incorrectly. Never said I was massively overweight and I certainly never said it was from eating too much. You're making that up I think.

I did play for the boards football team though (which was great fun and which you mocked btw) and have gotten myself in good shape. 4/5 days a week in the gym and wiser choices in diet. Have one cheat night a week where I do eat something bad and it's class, a good treat and a reward for working hard.

Also, joined Slimming World with my OH as a show of support. The difference it made for her phenomenal. Sometimes showing support to a loved one is a great motivator, unlike the way you talk about your daughter on here and her habits. Maybe a more loving approach from your goodself would help her. It's shameful the way you speak about her tbh.

If it was small I might.
    However locally one guy runs a delivery service himself and has a tidy enough profit out of it.
    His son works at one takeaway.
    If your waiting for food and daddy lands in and needs a burger for somebody. The son will take stuff off your bag that's almost ready for you and hand it to daddy leaving your stuff going cold while they prepare more.

I'd have to make an objection, and it wouldn't be by email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The 'I don't tip because the delivery drivers won't pay tax on it' has to be one of the most stupid reasons to justify meanness anyone has ever come up with.

It’s true but it’s not the reason I don’t tip. Its not meanness. It’s a matter of not giving away money for no reason other than convention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Also, joined Slimming World with my OH as a show of support. The difference it made for her phenomenal.

I joined a slimming world and walked in my first night more nervous than a job interview!

I convinced myself I'd be the first guy ever there and the older women would all heckle me. How wrong I was

- everyone was lovely
    - some nights there were more guys than girls ha !

SW is for everyone :) I'm had to relearn stones and lbs though, get with the kgs SW !

No not at all. You recall incorrectly. Never said I was massively overweight and I certainly never said it was from eating too much. You're making that up I think.

I did play for the boards football team though (which was great fun and which you mocked btw) and have gotten myself in good shape. 4/5 days a week in the gym and wiser choices in diet. Have one cheat night a week where I do eat something bad and it's class, a good treat and a reward for working hard.

Also, joined Slimming World with my OH as a show of support. The difference it made for her phenomenal. Sometimes showing support to a loved one is a great motivator, unlike the way you talk about your daughter on here and her habits. Maybe a more loving approach from your goodself would help her. It's shameful the way you speak about her tbh.

Well you said you lost 2.5 stone from playing football which is by my definition a “massive amount” of weight, which can only come about from ingesting too many calories.

I distinctly remember congratulating you for joining that team to lose weight and I congratulate your OH for joining Swimming World now.

I wouldn’t take too much of the credit for her weight loss if I was you, though, assuming you have the same problem oversharing from your plate as you do on here. :rolleyes:

mikemac2 wrote: »
    I joined a slimming world and walked in my first night more nervous than a job interview!

I convinced myself I'd be the first guy ever there and the older women would all heckle me. How wrong I was

- everyone was lovely
    - some nights there were more guys than girls ha !

SW is for everyone :) I'm had to relearn stones and lbs though, get with the kgs SW !

That’s fantastic, fair play. :)

Imagine the gall of these people. Bad enough they sell this sludge but they also want the customer to directly pay their employees wages as well. It’s obscene.

Jesus fcuking wept! We get it. You don't like fast food. You fcuking rebel. Wow!!!!!

Give it up now, you've flogged this poor horse to death ffs

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    That doesn't really answer the question what do you get in tips over a night? No idea how many deliveries you do a night

Well clearly the 2 are linked. Do I really have to explain this????

Ok, so if I average 1e per customer and I have 20 customers I have 20e.

Ok?

Jesus fcuking wept! We get it. You don't like fast food. You fcuking rebel. Wow!!!!!

Give it up now, you've flogged this poor horse to death ffs

Would you relax, I’m the one defending drivers’ rights to a decent wage here. After having members of my family insulted no less.

You're really terrible at answering questions.

What fcuking question? Spit it out ffs!

rosmoke wrote: »

If you came to my door with food, yes.

• Advertisement

Would you relax, I’m the one defending drivers’ rights to a decent wage here. After having members of my family insulted no less.

If a 'decent wage' was forced into take aways in relation to their drivers there would be no drivers.

First of all it would not be financially viable for the take away to pay 12e ph and have 2/3 drivers on staff for 6/7 hrs a night. They would pass the cost on to the customer.

Second, if it did somehow happen then the drivers would have to pay tax. They would be entitled to holidays, maybe sick leave.

The paying tax part would rule out anyone with a full time job which is about 80% of drivers I'd say.

The current system works for everyone and I never said it didn't. I literally asked a simple as about tips.........

Advertisement