Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you tip the delivery guy/gal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I don't need to do better, I asked you a simple question which you have been unable to answer instead you respond with sarcasm.

Your question was why would I hope for a tip........I answered that?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

khaldrogo wrote: »
    And if not, why not?

The reason I ask is I was a delivery driver for a few years in the early 2000s while doing my apprenticeship. I'd say 85% of people tipped me.

I started doing deliveries again this weekend (squeezed middle here!!) and so far it's about 50-60%.

I'd feel weird not giving a tip myself. I would usually give 1-2e. On the very rare occasion where I've paid online and have no change I always apologise to the driver.

I know, I know.........you've paid for your food and a delivery charge so why should you give more money? The answer is you don't HAVE to but it is nice to do. Standing there while the driver digs around for your 30c change says a lot about you.

To someone like me who's doing it help pay the bills, the tips mean a lot.

Excuse me. The delivery driver rummaging around for 30 cent should maybe organise himself a bit better so he doesn't have to use his hands to check his pocket (oh dear, what a work load that is!).

If he/she is expected to take cash as payment they should have change ready to go. Not this "Oh sorry! I don't seem to have that change on me!" and expect to get paid 2 euros or whatever.

This is my gripe with it. If the delivery driver gets his petrol paid for, gets a wage and gets a delievry charge put on top then why do you need a tip? What? because it's "nice" to do.

If they do over 30 deliveries in a night and make 2eu off each of those that's 60 in their pocket. I'm not saying it works out like that but why would anyone deserve that money for doing something they're already paid for?

Then if I got a takeaway say twice a month and tipped 2eu every time that's 48 euros in tips over the year. For something I paid for already. With a delivery charge on top. No. Just because it's a small amount does not mean it doesn't all add up.

I worked in retail and off licences and never expected a tip because I was paid a wage. Why should you? So please, give me back MY 30 cent or whatever and save your criticisms about who/how money is spent when it concerns your money and yours alone.

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Excuse me. The delivery driver rummaging around for 30 cent should maybe organise himself a bit better so he doesn't have to use his hands to check his pocket (oh dear, what a work load that is!).

If he/she is expected to take cash as payment they should have change ready to go. Not this "Oh sorry! I don't seem to have that change on me!" and expect to get paid 2 euros or whatever.

This is my gripe with it. If the delivery driver gets his petrol paid for, gets a wage and gets a delievry charge put on top then why do you need a tip? What? because it's "nice" to do.

If they do over 30 deliveries in a night and make 2eu off each of those that's 60 in their pocket. I'm not saying it works out like that but why would anyone deserve that money for doing something they're already paid for?

Then if I got a takeaway say twice a month and tipped 2eu every time that's 48 euros in tips over the year. For something I paid for already. With a delivery charge on top. No. Just because it's a small amount does not mean it doesn't all add up.

I worked in retail and off licences and never expected a tip because I was paid a wage. Why should you? So please, give me back MY 30 cent or whatever and save your criticisms about who/how money is spent when it concerns your money and yours alone.

This rant says a lot about you!!!

The only thing I'll address is the petrol thing.......

No delivery driver driving for a take away gets their petrol paid for ffs!!!

If you know of a take away paying for fuel let me know and I'll work for them and I'll not be so concerned about tips anymore!

Thanks for that pal, I needed a good laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Jesus, tip if ye want to tip, don't bother if ye don't

personally I don't go out of my way to tip a delivery driver no. I let him/her keep the change if its 1/1.50,

It's not the right or wrong thing to do, I don't tip the woman in the local deli for making my roll just because she's there to do that job.

I'd be more inclined to never tip delivery drivers again now that Just Eat has a service charge of 50 cent on top of the delivery charges nowadays, my local pizza place used to have free delivery all the time now they have €2 delivery charge, so Imo that's their tip :V

I'm not tight, I do tip in restaurants, I tip in places that it is traditional to tip in, it seems the list is growing by the minute. Like a pp said, i don't tip the postman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

If you know of a take away paying for fuel let me know and I'll work for them and I'll not be so concerned about tips anymore!

They should get their petrol paid for. Ask your boss about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

The 4 or 5 people I have known who did deliveries had a petrol allowance and had to show a receipt at the end of the night. They all worked for different take aways

The rant is against the perceived entitlement or belittlement of someone who doesn't want to give their money for something they have already paid for. The whole tipping culture in Ireland for doing the bare minimum required of a job you were employed for and get paid for.

It says more about you that you're noticing half of people aren't putting their hand in their pocket to give you their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

And if not, why not?

The reason I ask is I was a delivery driver for a few years in the early 2000s while doing my apprenticeship. I'd say 85% of people tipped me.

I started doing deliveries again this weekend (squeezed middle here!!) and so far it's about 50-60%.

I'd feel weird not giving a tip myself. I would usually give 1-2e. On the very rare occasion where I've paid online and have no change I always apologise to the driver.

I know, I know.........you've paid for your food and a delivery charge so why should you give more money? The answer is you don't HAVE to but it is nice to do. Standing there while the driver digs around for your 30c change says a lot about you.

To someone like me who's doing it help pay the bills, the tips mean a lot.

If we are ordering food for delivery its generally paid by card & it would be unusual to have any cash at all so no, normally I would not tip and I wouldn't apologise for not having cash for a tip when I have chosen to pay by card anyway. On the rare occasion that we would order food and be paying by cash it would get rounded up to the next fiver.

I don't have cash ever to tip my grocery delivery guy either.

TBH the whole thing of tipping every non essential service kinda turns me off using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ah, yeah, I'd always give them a tip. It's the sound thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The movement over to apps and card payment mean I don't really tip them anymore. Must really be a cut in income for drivers now.

OP how much in cash terms were you and are you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

do the drivers actually tamper with an honest customers food the next time if they don't give them €1 etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

showpony1 wrote: »
    do the drivers actually tamper with an honest customers food the next time if they don't give them €1 etc
    No. They wouldn't have the nuts to, and also they realise they couldn't make that muck worse than it already is.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭tjhook

I think it is getting more like the US.

the pizza place I order from charges €4 delivery. Fair enough, I live a few KMs from the place. I was in the habit of giving the guy €2 at the door. Now I notice the online order form has started to include a "tip" section, with 10%, 15% and 20% as the available options.

Who receives this "tip"? Does some of it go to the delivery guy? I wouldn't assume so, if as said elsewhere, he may not even be an employee of the pizza place.

So €40 worth of pizza for the family could now cost €50 if I was to pay all the extras.

I know the tips are optional, and I ignored the "tip" section of the form. But it's starting to become a bit of a chore - I'm tempted to start ordering my pizza elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The 4 or 5 people I have known who did deliveries had a petrol allowance and had to show a receipt at the end of the night. They all worked for different take aways

The rant is against the perceived entitlement or belittlement of someone who doesn't want to give their money for something they have already paid for. The whole tipping culture in Ireland for doing the bare minimum required of a job you were employed for and get paid for.

It says more about you that you're noticing half of people aren't putting their hand in their pocket to give you their money.

Yeah, this is horsesh1t. I worked for 5 or 6 different takeaways in my early 20s and I have never even heard of that. Interesting the other guy on the thread who has done the job never heard of it either...

In the vast majority of places you get about a €30-35 "float" at the start of the night which is your wage then you tot up all your sub-totals (minus delivery charge) at the end and hand it over to the restaurant.

Whatever is left is delivery charges and tips.

If you do 20 deliveries @ €2.00 delivery charge you'll have €40 plus your float = €72.50 less your juice let's say €10 but very car dependent = €62.50 for your whole evening. Your gonna need something from most of those 20 deliveries to make it worth your while bothering.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,997 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

You mean do i tip the postman ?...no.

This is it. It's a strange convention. I worked as a pizza delivery driver and I LIKED tips and I appreciated them. But I can't think of any reason in the world to tip delivery drivers and taxi drivers as a matter of course.

So no, I don't tip anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    No. They wouldn't have the nuts to, and also they realise they couldn't make that muck worse than it already is.

You're come as one miserable f*cker on this subject. Takeaways are a nice treat the odd time. Nothing wrong with them in moderation. Some Indian places do amazing food that you'd fail to rustle up yourself. Pizza night with the family can be lovely, say for the Toy Show or something. Kids love that type of thing. Burritos to your door when you're a bit hungover. Nice one. There's a multitude of good food out there, it's not all muck from the local chipper.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I agree with this. The OP wouldn't have started this thread if it wasn't bothering them. It leads onto the below.
    2ndcoming wrote: »

If you do 20 deliveries @ €2.00 delivery charge you'll have €40 plus your float = €72.50 less your juice let's say €10 but very car dependent = €62.50 for your whole evening. Your gonna need something from most of those 20 deliveries to make it worth your while bothering.

The customer already pays a delivery fee. That's the cost of getting the food delivered. Why should anyone pay for the same service TWICE. If it's not worth your while then ask your employer for a raise, don't expect the customer to pay your wages.

I despise tipping, the entire concept is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

I only get about 5 take aways delivered a year and tip the odd time out of laziness because I'm hungry and don't want to wait for the change. If I do wait for the change and the driver starts looking in every pocket he has for it you can be sure I'll wait for it. I wouldn't want that carry on encouraged.

But places are charging delivery fees anyway. If they're not enough to pay a driver they should charge more. If the viability of the service is dependent on some people tipping then effectively the tippers will be subsidising the non - tippers. The takeaways should charge a realistic fee.

Like I said, tell me where the places are, please!!! The 20/30 delivery drivers o have known over the years paid for their own fuel.

I have absolutely no sense of entitlement in regards to being tipped. As I have stated quite a few times already.

In terms of belittling someone for wanting 30c back, I don't believe I was belittling.
    I am someone who regularly walks away from a cashier leaving 5, 10, 20, 30c in their hand because I couldn't be added putting 5c into my pocket. I leave small change like this on the bar after a couple of pints. That is who I am. Who I am informs how I view other people. The same way that who you are informs how you view me.

showpony1 wrote: »

Of course not.

Ray Palmer wrote: »

OP how much in cash terms were you and are you getting?

On average I'd say they are the same, around 1e per delivery averaged out. There is just less people tipping

• Advertisement

Like I said, tell me where the places are, please!!! The 20/30 delivery drivers o have known over the years paid for their own fuel.

I have absolutely no sense of entitlement in regards to being tipped. As I have stated quite a few times already.

In terms of belittling someone for wanting 30c back, I don't believe I was belittling.
    I am someone who regularly walks away from a cashier leaving 5, 10, 20, 30c in their hand because I couldn't be added putting 5c into my pocket. I leave small change like this on the bar after a couple of pints. That is who I am. Who I am informs how I view other people. The same way that who you are informs how you view me.

You leave money behind on the counter or with the cashier? Why?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've never tipped a delivery driver and would only rarely tip for anything in Ireland. Didn't think it was the done thing here tbh. It's also pretty rare I would have cash on me anyway as I pay for all my takeaways online.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Yes I do.

It is called the delivery fee.

I order and pay by card from an app. Should I tip the bus driver too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I've never tipped a delivery driver and would only rarely tip for anything in Ireland. Didn't think it was the done thing here tbh. It's also pretty rare I would have cash on me anyway as I pay for all my takeaways online.

I don't tip either, I don't tip staff in a shop so I don't see why people providing other services warrant a tip. This is not America we have a reasonable minimum wage. Also as pointed out I don't accept that I give a tip from my taxed income to someone who has no intention of declaring it to revenue.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I agree with this. The OP wouldn't have started this thread if it wasn't bothering them. It leads onto the below.

The customer already pays a delivery fee. That's the cost of getting the food delivered. Why should anyone pay for the same service TWICE. If it's not worth your while then ask your employer for a raise, don't expect the customer to pay your wages.

Not once in this entire thread did I say anyone should have to give a tip, not once.

Is it bothering me? Not significantly tbh. The main reason I asked was out of interest. Being in the somewhat unique position of being able to compare things 16 years apart made it an interesting question to ask.

If I didn't get another tip it wouldn't stop me doing the deliveries. I get a wage and the delivery charge, the tip is a bonus.

Not once in this entire thread did I say anyone should have to give a tip, not once.

Is it bothering me? Not significantly tbh. The main reason I asked was out of interest. Being in the somewhat unique position of being able to compare things 16 years apart made it an interesting question to ask.

If I didn't get another tip it wouldn't stop me doing the deliveries. I get a wage and the delivery charge, the tip is a bonus.

Do you do anything for the bonus that isn't covered in the wage and delivery charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Kingp35 wrote: »

In most cases it is casual work, most of the managers barely speak English to be honest. So they are not really your employer, and definitely not mine as I haven't done it in 10 years or more. They are not going to up their outlay at all though, they will do one of two things:

Either they jack up the delivery charge (meaning you pay more anyway) or they let all the Irish drivers go and get cousin Xing to do it (meaning you get a phone call 45 minutes later asking where your house is in broken English.)

I don't tip either, I don't tip staff in a shop so I don't see why people providing other services warrant a tip. This is not America we have a reasonable minimum wage. Also as pointed out I don't accept that I give a tip from my taxed income to someone who has no intention of declaring it to revenue.

So your issue is the lack of tax being paid? Sounds terribly like begrudgery to me .

Do you do anything for the bonus that isn't covered in the wage and delivery charge?

No more than anyone else in the service industry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So your issue is the lack of tax being paid? Sounds terribly like begrudgery to me .

Of course I begrudge someone not paying tax, you do realise what taxes are for. Also you are paid to do the job why are you even hopeful of a tip. What have you done outside of what you are paid to do to justify your hope?

Advertisement