Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think Alen Kelly will pay at the next election for what he has done to rents?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Jaketherake

Can you elaborate on this please. Because to my knowledge and lighter wallet the landlord pays throw the nose for a nonpaying tenant. Even with a case win with the prtb which could take a year or more its not enforceable in itself. In the mean time no rent is been paid and in all likelyhood damage done to the property. Also damage done by a tenant or his /her guests is not covered by insurance.

id love in on this secret too.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

garhjw wrote: »
    You haven't got a clue what you are talking about. Where do you dream up such nonsense?

The is a supply shortage in Dublin and other areas in Ireland. That is what increases rents. Along with bumbling government policy.
    Landlords increase rents.
    It's a pity how the government have dealt with this situation, the delay in bringing it in, but thankfully something has been done, my rent went up earlier in the year so it's a great comfort knowing it's going to be remaining the same for the next while.
    Really shows the greed which still lives strong in this country that most landlords who'd be quite happy with what they're earning still feel the need to Jack up their rent because they're worried they won't be able to do it on a yearly basis from now on and that is something which the government can not be blamed for, it's just the greed culture returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Landlords increase rents.
    It's a pity how the government have dealt with this situation, the delay in bringing it in, but thankfully something has been done, my rent went up earlier in the year so it's a great comfort knowing it's going to be remaining the same for the next while.
    Really shows the greed which still lives strong in this country that most landlords who'd be quite happy with what they're earning still feel the need to Jack up their rent because they're worried they won't be able to do it on a yearly basis from now on and that is something which the government can not be blamed for, it's just the greed culture returning.

Its business not a charity.

When rents go down I assume you will advocating that tenants offer more than market rate ?

Its business not a charity.

When rents go down I assume you will advocating that tenants offer more than market rate ?

Completely understood about it being a business, obviously as businesses go, not a very tough business to set up so for that reason you get a lot of, how do I put this, less than intelligent, people speculating by buying and then renting and thinking they can make a quick buck by charging ridiculous rents.
    I love the term market rate. You do realise who sets the market rate? Funny seeing all the angel landlords we have on boards at the moment too

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I love the term market rate. You do realise who sets the market rate? Funny seeing all the angel landlords we have on boards at the moment too

tenants do,the market rate is what the market bears. which is what tenants are willing to pay

• Advertisement

Completely understood about it being a business, obviously as businesses go, not a very tough business to set up so for that reason you get a lot of, how do I put this, less than intelligent, people speculating by buying and then renting and thinking they can make a quick buck by charging ridiculous rents.

Yiu said earlier that prices are high so it cant be that easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

You completely don't understand about business, economics or market forces.
    There are plenty of "less than intelligent" non landlords out there hat seem to have all the answers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

garhjw wrote: »
    Where do you get these notions? The problem is not landlords, it is a lack of supply. Like anything where there is a supply shortage the price goes up. It's a landlords fault that successive governments haven't provided sufficient social housing? Cop yourself on

I said any anger towards landlords about accommodation shortages was misplaced. The "notions" about landlords and property investors in Ireland being politically favoured by the two big parties, I've picked op over the years!
    robp wrote:
    That is a ridiculous comment given how heavily taxed rental income is.

Really? Compared to what? PAYE income? Tax-breaks seem to be the solution to every sectors' problems (and if that doesn't work scrap regulations!).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

ted1 wrote: »
    Any dispute has to go through the PRTB, that takes time even if just 5 months that could be over 10k on rent for a 4 bed in Dublin

PRTB prioritise non paying/overholders. Start the dispute as soon as the 14 days are up. Get the determination order and off to the District Court. Tenant on a criminal charge in court in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

He might go the way of Maire Hoctor here in tipperary. I'v never voted labour in my life but might be tempted to give Alan a preference vote this time around as a way to keep the shinners out. Lowry is my man though always get the 1 vote from our household.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Fact. The Govt/CoCo have no interest in being landlords. Tried that before and ended up selling houses to sitting tenants. Ditto rubbish bin disposal, if anyone remembers. The gov are only interested in returns to the exchequer. Tenants and SW are a big voting block, hence policy's that encourage it. Rent controls by Kelly spooked the rental market and forced the hand of landlords to act. Like people filling up petrol when budget hits to save a few cents. Don't forget " talk to your landlord " shrill a few years ago, or Harneys " shop around for health insurance" ffsss

4ensic15 wrote: »
    PRTB prioritise non paying/overholders. Start the dispute as soon as the 14 days are up. Get the determination order and off to the District Court. Tenant on a criminal charge in court in a few weeks.

Really !!!!!!

Who's bright idea to close bedsits etc, what real motivation was behind that........to those that forgot.

Really !!!!!!

Yes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- the proportion of pure politicising over and above debate about Accommodation and Property (and the policy relating thereof)- has skewed far too far into Politics. This is not the remit of the Accommodation and Property forum- and accordingly- the thread is being moved to the politics forum.

Regards,

The_Conductor

toptom wrote: »
    He might go the way of Maire Hoctor here in tipperary. I'v never voted labour in my life but might be tempted to give Alan a preference vote this time around as a way to keep the shinners out. Lowry is my man though always get the 1 vote from our household.

Why people would vote for Lowry is beyond me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Why people would vote for Lowry is beyond me.

Me too- and it never ceases to amaze me just how popular he is down in Tipperary........ However- he is popular, he does consistently get voted in, he has a mandate from his electorate- who are we to reason why..........

ted1 wrote: »
    tenants do,the market rate is what the market bears. which is what tenants are willing to pay

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

If a village in the middle of nowhere has 2 petrol pumps and they decide to charge €3 per litre of petrol the villagers have little choice but to pay the €3. That's not a market just because they're willing to pay/have to pay that much, that's a scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

If a village in the middle of nowhere has 2 petrol pumps and they decide to charge €3 per litre of petrol the villagers have little choice but to pay the €3. That's not a market just because they're willing to pay/have to pay that much, that's a scam.

you just defeated your own argument with that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭golfball37

toptom wrote: »

What Shinners in Tipperary? They didn't even top 6% in a recent election, when they've never been as high nationally.

My in laws all from Tipperary all vote Lowry to a man themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Can somebody tell me why Michael Noonan thought that rising house prices was a good thing back last March/April?

Thanks.

euser1984 wrote: »
    Can somebody tell me why Michael Noonan thought that rising house prices was a good thing back last March/April?

Thanks.

Because it repairs the banks balance sheets. The less negative equity there is the less the banks need to make provision for bad debts. The resolution of the banks problems is being done at the expense of FTBs and renters, who indeed are sometimes the same people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Because it repairs the banks balance sheets. The less negative equity there is the less the banks need to make provision for bad debts. The resolution of the banks problems is being done at the expense of FTBs and renters, who indeed are sometimes the same people.

Don't know what current progress of NAMA is but rising property prices and yields on rent presumably make that look good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

The Dublin councils have a lot of responsibility for the high rents.

Too many nimbys who don't want anything over 4 storeys and refuse to entertain the rezoning of brown field sites.

Developers should be able to build 8-12 storey buildings in most areas that have good transport links and higher within the canals especially in the docklands.

There's a huge amount of poorly utilised land - bluebell, kylemore, longmile areas on naas road. Dublin ind estate in glasnevin, are two very substantial areas of single storey warehouses many of which are not used.

Both areas would suit a sandyford ind est style development with commercial space and good size apartments sharing space.

Someone did an estimate on what both areas could take and it was a figure in excess of 20,000 2 & 3 beds apartments in addition to office and commercial use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Ask yourself. Why is there only one petrol station. Not viable maybe. How much of that €3 is tax. Why not the Govt policy to subsidize rural stations.

But blame the business man. Then hand that feeds you. makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

I think he is directly responsible for the sharp increase in rents.

His only hope now is that some other crisis even bigger than the one he has caused for the renter appears before the election.

Hes very lucky hes not running in Dublin, but his folly will carry through to his party colleagues votes everywhere.

He was not going to be a TD based on the polls next election, this lets him get a 'win' to get re-elected. Enough lefties will vote for him for having sorted the problem out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

No I don't. If they sell up I buy in. In any real free market all Irish housing would be cheap. I would also crush landlordism with social housing, and a huge policy of house building.

Agree completely. Too many landlords in government unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

I understand the HRI grant was an incentive for home owners to gain an extra bedrom or two and to further rent those rooms out (to students near universities as a short term means to address a priority issue) but now capping that potential income is bogus! Another SSIA-type coffer-wasting scheme and typical undercutting objective achieved by the idiots elected..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

hytrogen wrote: »
    I understand the HRI grant was an incentive for home owners to gain an extra bedrom or two and to further rent those rooms out (to students near universities as a short term means to address a priority issue) but now capping that potential income is bogus! Another SSIA-type coffer-wasting scheme and typical undercutting objective achieved by the idiots elected..

The HRI was to bring cash in hand tradesmen into the tax net or at least eliminate any price advantage they may have over tax compliant tradesmen by refunding the VAT to the customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

alias no.9 wrote: »
    The HRI was to bring cash in hand tradesmen into the tax net or at least eliminate any price advantage they may have over tax compliant tradesmen by refunding the VAT to the customer.
    And address the housing crisis (lack of units built since the crash) on a short term basis to accommodate working lodgers & students in / near the major cities & colleges.

Advertisement