Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think Alen Kelly will pay at the next election for what he has done to rents?

Options
  • 07-11-2015 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I think he is directly responsible for the sharp increase in rents.

His only hope now is that some other crisis even bigger than the one he has caused for the renter appears before the election.

Hes very lucky hes not running in Dublin, but his folly will carry through to his party colleagues votes everywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Between that & the 'Eircode' fiasco I'd be surprised if he doesn't stand as party leader next time! What a clown

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rossmores

As a landlord in dublin I hope Labour gets annihilated in the next election it disgusting the way failure in government policy leading to the housing crisis has been unfairly blamed on landlords i have not displaced 1 tenant or increased rents to level being quoted in the media
    As for Alan Kelly he is a bumbling twit not fit for office voted in by parish politics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Hopefully both him and his party end up joining the PDs and the Greens in the political graveyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Unfortunately I can't see this having much impact on his being re-elected.
    He's TD for a mainly rural constituency who tend to vote for what they know. While there will be a reaction to Irish Water, housing and the rest of the ongoing social and political problems, unless he is faced in his constituency by either a unified "leftist" candidate to prevent opposition vote being fragmented he will likely be reelected. The choice will come down to fragmented opposition from left and independents and sinn fein or to vote fianna faíl, fg and completely ignore the party politics that have brought the country to its current state. In that situation I think as incumbent he will be reelected as part of a much diminished labour party

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

I will be voting against labour for the way in which they've participated in making life harder for lower-waged working households but it's silly to blame the rental crisis entirely on Alan Kelly. Our minister for property price rises deserves a lot of "credit" too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I think he is directly responsible for the sharp increase in rents.

His only hope now is that some other crisis even bigger than the one he has caused for the renter appears before the election.

Hes very lucky hes not running in Dublin, but his folly will carry through to his party colleagues votes everywhere.

The rent increases happened long before he did anything. Not that rent increases affect votes in Dublin. Most renters support some kind of control but most voters aren't renters.

gaius c wrote: »
    I will be voting against labour for the way in which they've participated in making life harder for lower-waged working households but it's silly to blame the rental crisis entirely on Alan Kelly. Our minister for property price rises deserves a lot of "credit" too.

Of course. The state owns land banks. It owns property. It's keeping the mortgage owners and landlords happy. Alan Kelly suggests a minor form of control and the subsidised landlords start crying "free market". No such cries when mortgage holders were in arrears and not being re- possessed.

rossmores wrote: »
    As a landlord in dublin I hope Labour gets annihilated in the next election it disgusting the way failure in government policy leading to the housing crisis has been unfairly blamed on landlords i have not displaced 1 tenant or increased rents to level being quoted in the media
    As for Alan Kelly he is a bumbling twit not fit for office voted in by parish politics

As a renter I would vote for any party that crushed landlords.

However most voters in Dublin are property owners or live at home. Renters are from the country where they vote, or immigrants who don't vote that often.

To correct the landlord run oligarchy that controls Ireland would probably take some multinational threatening to pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

As a renter you have a very strong self-interest in ensuring landlords are not "crushed".

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭PolaroidPizza

I didn't follow this story too closely, but it was my impression AK wanted the rent increases linked to inflation, it was Michael Noonans department that fought it. If you're not happy with the proposed legislation, would it not be Noonan who should pay at the election?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Rent control will not deliver a single extra rental property and will make it harder for anyone looking for a new place to rent. Tax zoned development land on an escalating scale and tax empty properties.

Diarmuid wrote: »
    As a renter you have a very strong self-interest in ensuring landlords are not "crushed".

No I don't. If they sell up I buy in. In any real free market all Irish housing would be cheap. I would also crush landlordism with social housing, and a huge policy of house building.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

No I don't. If they sell up I buy in. In any real free market all Irish housing would be cheap. I would also crush landlordism with social housing, and a huge policy of house building.

Desirable locations would never be cheap because there is a genuine scarcity but to some extent its true that if banks were allowed to re-possess more banking would be cheaper and thus mortgages would be cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

You haven't got a clue what you are talking about. Where do you dream up such nonsense?

The is a supply shortage in Dublin and other areas in Ireland. That is what increases rents. Along with bumbling government policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

IMO this will completely alienate anyone who is self-employed from voting Labour(they have always been anti-business to me). If I was a business owner, I would be afraid of what Labour would do to my industry

I dont think labour will stand a chance. They arent extreme enough for their former target voters. They want SF or AAA who will throw money at welfare and "tax the rich". Yet they are too extreme for the rich ie someone earning over €35k a year in the eyes of Labour.

Labour is a party with a lack of vision. The only thing making them unique is their stance on Abortion. But that could alienate more voters than it will gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

However most voters in Dublin are property owners or live at home. Renters are from the country where they vote, or immigrants who don't vote that often.

To correct the landlord run oligarchy that controls Ireland would probably take some multinational threatening to pull out.

Where to start with a statement like that ! It doesnt make any sence

Why would irish housing be cheap ? What is cheap in your estimation ? I presume if you were in government you would implement this policy of putting landlords out of business . You would build social housing .... care to enlighten us as to where and how much this would cost. Even with the left looneys SF I havent heard this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,299 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I didn't follow this story too closely, but it was my impression AK wanted the rent increases linked to inflation, it was Michael Noonans department that fought it. If you're not happy with the proposed legislation, would it not be Noonan who should pay at the election?

How can they try to keep a free market tied in inflation , when no government service can? Look at the increase in getting copies of birth Certs etc.

Also they have added LPT, USC, PRTB, BER and many more costs on to landlords over the past few years. They have also made it impossible to get rid of a non paying tenant and its virtually impossible to recoup costs from damage they do.

As for RAS tenants they should go gurantor for these, if there willing to pay there rent they should be willing to cover any damage they do and any breach of contract and non payment of rent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

ted1 wrote: »
    They have also made it impossible to get rid of a non paying tenant

It is not impossible to get rid of a non paying tenant.

4ensic15 wrote: »

It's possible but it's a long drawn out expensive event.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 grass_grower

their is no consequence to being a delinquent tenant in this country , the common perception that tenants in ireland have no rights is so off the mark , its a bad joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I am a landlord, but in addition to the mock outrage of Sinn Féin and their ilk, I now have another reason to give Labour my number 1.

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭PolaroidPizza

How can they try to keep a free market tied in inflation , when no government service can? Look at the increase in getting copies of birth Certs etc.

so because the price of college fees goes up 500 % the government has no right to try and control something completely unrelated?

the government makes attempts to control the prices as diverse as alcohol, air fares, sports coverage and private consultant salaries...but yet they shouldn't try and control rent?

ye might as well say because they cannot control a health budget they shouldn't try and keep Iarnroid Eireann in budget.

so because the price of college fees goes up 500 % the government has no right to try and control something completely unrelated?

the government makes attempts to control the prices as diverse as alcohol, air fares, sports coverage and private consultant salaries...but yet they shouldn't try and control rent?

ye might as well say because they cannot control a health budget they shouldn't try and keep Iarnroid Eireann in budget.
    If they can't control the prices they have total responsible for , how can they expect other people too. As I stated they have lumped on loads of additional charges into landlords , that's the reason why they have gone up loads

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

It's possible but it's a long drawn out expensive event.

Need not be particularly long drawn out or expensive if done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

rossmores wrote: »

Well landlords are one of Ireland's little protected circles, Fine Fail and Fianna Gael both seem to love them so that's probably where some of the (misplaced) anger comes from.
    I wonder how many tee-dees are landlords and/or property owners (in the sense of having more land/property assets than just the property you live in)?
    To be honest i was amazed the prtb got setup in this country. Did the EU have anything to do with it? I believe its usually the origin of anything that strikes me as a bit "unIrish".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Well landlords are one of Ireland's little protected circles, Fine Fail and Fianna Gael both seem to love them so that's probably where some of the (misplaced) anger comes from.
    I wonder how many tee-dees are landlords and/or property owners (in the sense of having more land/property assets than just the property you live in)?
    To be honest i was amazed the prtb got setup in this country. Did the EU have anything to do with it? I believe its usually the origin of anything that strikes me as a bit "unIrish".

Where do you get these notions? The problem is not landlords, it is a lack of supply. Like anything where there is a supply shortage the price goes up. It's a landlords fault that successive governments haven't provided sufficient social housing? Cop yourself on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

fly_agaric wrote: »

That is a ridiculous comment given how heavily taxed rental income is.

Any dispute has to go through the PRTB, that takes time even if just 5 months that could be over 10k on rent for a 4 bed in Dublin

• Advertisement

Can you elaborate on this please. Because to my knowledge and lighter wallet the landlord pays throw the nose for a nonpaying tenant. Even with a case win with the prtb which could take a year or more its not enforceable in itself. In the mean time no rent is been paid and in all likelyhood damage done to the property. Also damage done by a tenant or his /her guests is not covered by insurance.

Advertisement