Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic foreign bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

My parents are friends with a German Count who lives in Dublin, he had a proper full fat Lotus Carlton until only about 15 years ago or so. I still see him around now in the Touareg that he bought to replace the Lotus!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭KevRossi

11wingnut wrote: »

Looks like it was reupholstered in non-MB covers. Wonder why you'd do that if you went to the trouble of a full resto? Also, the bottom of it looks like it was painted with a brush rather than resprayed. Still worth a look for £5K

I had a 164 Q4 when I lived in Germany years ago, sold it and went looking for something else. I couldn't stretch to buying a Lotus Omega, as I've always had a principle of never borrowing cash to buy a car. I was willing to break to rule for that one car but my then girlfriend convinced me not to borrow cash to buy it as 'Opel are crap and unreliable' (she had a Lancia Thema at the time - WTF?).

I ended out with a W124 400E (US import) as I couldn't stretch to a 500E either.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,945 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Maybe you should have married her :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

unkel wrote: »
    What's the ZV reg?
    in one pic if you look carefully i cannot make it out

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

in one pic if you look carefully i cannot make it out

Looks like ZV42812 which comes up as a 230, last sale date march 2015.

Super looking car but its a pity about the interior, even the door cards and
    centre armrest in that strange criss cross pattern, doesn't work for me !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

KevRossi wrote: »

I ended out with a W124 400E (US import) as I couldn't stretch to a 500E either.

Nothing wrong with a 400E as a substitute to a 500E

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

w124man wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a 400E as a substitute to a 500E
    400E is actually a better cruiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

If you fancy an E23 project you can have this one on a starting bid of £8000

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164176561629

s-l1600.jpg

Or, as it stands, you can have this BMW for £8000 instead

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-840-CI-SPORT-INDUVIDUAL-E31-WHITE-LOTUS-LEATHER-92K-NO-RESERVE-CLASSIC/274349501376

s-l1600.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

welder wrote: »
    Looks like ZV42812

That is the correct reg. (UK reg A592 JCK - no export marker). Mileage discrepancy though.

Kerry ZV series allocation (after Dec 2011), started from 42801.

macplaxton wrote: »
    Mileage discrepancy though.

For anyone who doesn't want to look it up themselves: It had 148k miles back in 2012

And now it has just 65k miles :rolleyes: No NCT of course. With the best will in the world I can't see this car deserving the title of a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Casati

For anyone who doesn't want to look it up themselves: It had 148k miles back in 2012

And now it has just 65k miles :rolleyes: No NCT of course. With the best will in the world I can't see this car deserving the title of a bargain.

Regardless of mileage, am I the only one that thinks it looks a bit rough for the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Oh my word, the interior on that is just hideous ! Why would someone do that to that poor car - having said that, I was just about to redo the door cards in my MX5 in that quilted pattern black - I may have to rethink that !

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

When the skangers and chavs adopt a trend in their pimped out Golfs, you know it's time to move on. That quilted upholstery is one example. It's the same reason why cream leather is dead to me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

Seweryn wrote: »
    400E is actually a better cruiser.

So they say. I have not driven one back to back with a 500

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

Of course it doesn't have NCT on it, It's UK registered car, in the UK, with no export marker!

(It appears to me to have started life in the UK, had a holiday in Ireland, a haircut at some point, re-registered in the UK and is being sold in the UK, for GBP ;) )

Could very well be, didn't even think of that scenario! Why use a few (older) pics for the ad then with the Irish plates on though?

The haircut and the NCT site stating the vehicle has been scrapped would be major red flags for me though. The link now says the auction has ended and there were 2 bids. Surely this wasn't sold for anywhere near GBP5k, does anyone in here have access to the results?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

NCT site stating the vehicle has been scrapped

Don't put any heed in the NCT site stating scrapped, that seems to be a default position if a vehicle has never entered their testing system, i.e. never had a test.
    Rather like the test itself their website isn't really a paragon of efficiency....

• Advertisement

Why use a few (older) pics for the ad then with the Irish plates on though?

Why do people do it when the vehicle has travelled the other way?

(They have not bothered to remove the Irish plates, if you look closely, the UK ones are sitting on top of them)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

RobAMerc wrote: »
    this is on facebook @ 3750

Looks very tidy - but she is a 1991 ( I have not checked the MOT history in fairness, only going on pics )

94198080_869109690225471_3732187126930866176_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_oc=AQlLSjf6VP67JjzZaRRrnxgg2AtJw33uUo8XSpq0mhMZqTOZKRfH75ACafl4S-djx2uWIt0xNPjO30rM_jHHmuab&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=592b981c7466832ad9fbe2ced79d8033&oe=5EC6B182

Wish I could find this again - my mate is interested in it !

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Anyone remember an ad for a mint condition Mitsubishi Pajero swb for around €9,000

• Registered Users Posts: 35,744 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I love that - but your question is totally valid - 5 owners and only 35k miles ?
    Also, for such a well maintained car why the super cheap tyres ?

I love that - but your question is totally valid - 5 owners and only 35k miles ?

Can't be too sure, but I'd be willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. There are quite a few very low mileage cars in London. People using London as a second residence would have the car and only drive it outside London a few times. Came across the same in Paris.

Drivers seat and steering wheel look fresh as well. So, depending on what the receipts say, I'd be happy enough with it. Anyway, condition matters more than miles at that age. Ad seems to be very honest and complete as well.

I'd say the tyres were to move it around as the old ones were gone due to age. Could be the new owner found a bargain and wants to have safe (ish) tyres whilst selling it, or keeping it for a short time.

Wonder what it'll go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭MrCostington

KevRossi wrote: »
    Drivers seat and steering wheel look fresh as well. So, depending on what the receipts say, I'd be happy enough with it.

And, if you look at the other pics on ebay, the pedal rubbers look almost band new.

EDIT MOT history since Feb 2006 @25,714 miles confirms last 14 years, although oddly Nov 2008 says No odometer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

The MOT history would show much earlier use beyond the miles i feel, plus its hardly done any miles in last 8 years which is never good, would be expecting big problem.

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ga=2.176900205.9905402.1588754580-664795293.1588754580

Advertisement