Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think Alen Kelly will pay at the next election for what he has done to rents?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Can somebody tell me why Michael Noonan thought that rising house prices was a good thing back last March/April?

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

euser1984 wrote: »
    Can somebody tell me why Michael Noonan thought that rising house prices was a good thing back last March/April?

Thanks.

Because it repairs the banks balance sheets. The less negative equity there is the less the banks need to make provision for bad debts. The resolution of the banks problems is being done at the expense of FTBs and renters, who indeed are sometimes the same people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Because it repairs the banks balance sheets. The less negative equity there is the less the banks need to make provision for bad debts. The resolution of the banks problems is being done at the expense of FTBs and renters, who indeed are sometimes the same people.

Don't know what current progress of NAMA is but rising property prices and yields on rent presumably make that look good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

The Dublin councils have a lot of responsibility for the high rents.

Too many nimbys who don't want anything over 4 storeys and refuse to entertain the rezoning of brown field sites.

Developers should be able to build 8-12 storey buildings in most areas that have good transport links and higher within the canals especially in the docklands.

There's a huge amount of poorly utilised land - bluebell, kylemore, longmile areas on naas road. Dublin ind estate in glasnevin, are two very substantial areas of single storey warehouses many of which are not used.

Both areas would suit a sandyford ind est style development with commercial space and good size apartments sharing space.

Someone did an estimate on what both areas could take and it was a figure in excess of 20,000 2 & 3 beds apartments in addition to office and commercial use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

If a village in the middle of nowhere has 2 petrol pumps and they decide to charge €3 per litre of petrol the villagers have little choice but to pay the €3. That's not a market just because they're willing to pay/have to pay that much, that's a scam.

Ask yourself. Why is there only one petrol station. Not viable maybe. How much of that €3 is tax. Why not the Govt policy to subsidize rural stations.

But blame the business man. Then hand that feeds you. makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

I think he is directly responsible for the sharp increase in rents.

His only hope now is that some other crisis even bigger than the one he has caused for the renter appears before the election.

Hes very lucky hes not running in Dublin, but his folly will carry through to his party colleagues votes everywhere.

He was not going to be a TD based on the polls next election, this lets him get a 'win' to get re-elected. Enough lefties will vote for him for having sorted the problem out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

No I don't. If they sell up I buy in. In any real free market all Irish housing would be cheap. I would also crush landlordism with social housing, and a huge policy of house building.

Agree completely. Too many landlords in government unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

I understand the HRI grant was an incentive for home owners to gain an extra bedrom or two and to further rent those rooms out (to students near universities as a short term means to address a priority issue) but now capping that potential income is bogus! Another SSIA-type coffer-wasting scheme and typical undercutting objective achieved by the idiots elected..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭alias no.9

hytrogen wrote: »
    I understand the HRI grant was an incentive for home owners to gain an extra bedrom or two and to further rent those rooms out (to students near universities as a short term means to address a priority issue) but now capping that potential income is bogus! Another SSIA-type coffer-wasting scheme and typical undercutting objective achieved by the idiots elected..

The HRI was to bring cash in hand tradesmen into the tax net or at least eliminate any price advantage they may have over tax compliant tradesmen by refunding the VAT to the customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

alias no.9 wrote: »
    The HRI was to bring cash in hand tradesmen into the tax net or at least eliminate any price advantage they may have over tax compliant tradesmen by refunding the VAT to the customer.
    And address the housing crisis (lack of units built since the crash) on a short term basis to accommodate working lodgers & students in / near the major cities & colleges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭alias no.9

hytrogen wrote: »
    And address the housing crisis (lack of units built since the crash) on a short term basis to accommodate working lodgers & students in / near the major cities & colleges.

Nah, the official story was to stimulate employment in the construction sector but the real intent was to combat cash in hand jobs

Advertisement