Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Due March 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Buttercup710

Congrats everyone, nice little group of us here now!
    My first (private) scan next week (and my first official confirmation since still haven't had GP apt yet)... so hopefully everything will be ok! Think it still won't sink in until we tell family members.

Is anyone going public to Holles St? I have a booking apt date but the letter advised no scan at that and I haven't received anything else so no clue when my first Holles St scan will be which is a bit of a let down. But then again I don't really know what to expect from the health care system and I'm sure they are under extreme pressure with the current climate. Just all a bit lonely/isolating first time round but maybe thats just the downside of finding out so early and keeping it quiet... Sorry for the long late night rant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

ewgwee4 wrote: »
    Congrats everyone! Have been lurking around for a few days so taking the plunge! This is our first baby so it all feels very surreal.

Same here, it’s both scary and exciting at the same time.
    Trying to research but also trying not to if that makes sense.

Can’t wait to tell family and friends so I can stop with “hypotethical friend of a friend was asking” questions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭BOB2017

Congrats everyone, nice little group of us here now!
    My first (private) scan next week (and my first official confirmation since still haven't had GP apt yet)... so hopefully everything will be ok! Think it still won't sink in until we tell family members.

Is anyone going public to Holles St? I have a booking apt date but the letter advised no scan at that and I haven't received anything else so no clue when my first Holles St scan will be which is a bit of a let down. But then again I don't really know what to expect from the health care system and I'm sure they are under extreme pressure with the current climate. Just all a bit lonely/isolating first time round but maybe thats just the downside of finding out so early and keeping it quiet... Sorry for the long late night rant!

My friend was public in Holles St last year and they didn’t offer a scan until the anomaly scan, she booked one herself privately in the Merrion Fetal Health Clinic which is beside Holles Street for the same day as her booking appointment. They aren’t allowing partners to attend scans at the moment but there are a few other scanning facilities around Dublin that do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Buttercup710

BOB2017 wrote: »
    My friend was public in Holles St last year and they didn’t offer a scan until the anomaly scan, she booked one herself privately in the Merrion Fetal Health Clinic which is beside Holles Street for the same day as her booking appointment. They aren’t allowing partners to attend scans at the moment but there are a few other scanning facilities around Dublin that do.

That's crazy, such a long time can't believe they do that but I'm glad to know in advance so thanks BOB2017! I might have to book a second private scan as it's a long way to 20 weeks...

That's crazy, such a long time can't believe they do that but I'm glad to know in advance so thanks BOB2017! I might have to book a second private scan as it's a long way to 20 weeks...

I know, it does seem quite a long time doesn’t it!! It might be worth calling them to check but that’s what I’ve heard anyway. If you’re in a consultant led clinic you may have a quick scan at each appointment but no guarantee of that.

• Advertisement

I don’t know if I could wait until 20 weeks! Have a private scan booked for 2 weeks time, should be 7.4 weeks then, hopefully we’ll see/hear something!

We paid €99 with the Ultrasound suite in grafton street. Was grand cause we got a 6pm appointment so can go after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Popping in from Sept thread. My sister is in Holles st. She's had a quick scan every appointment and is going for her 20 week scan this week so they definitely do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DubGal123

I think it depends what care route you are going with in Holles Street whether you get a scan. On the Domino scheme you definitely don't get a scan at the time of your first appointment, only the anatomy scan. I think also if you are assigned to one of the satellite clinics for your first appointment you're not scanned, but other than that I think you are from what I've heard!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ucsie

I'm going public to Holles St and my booking appointment letter doesn't say anything about no scan (it doesn't say there will be one either). My appointment is with a consultant.

I’m going semi private in holles street and when I got my letters - for my 12thweek midwife appointment and 17 week consultant appointment, I was advised that a scan will take place and bloods on the 12th week so to arrive with a full bladder?

No mention about 20w scan but I’d imagine that will be discussed and booked during consultant appointment.

Seems a bit odd how semi private and private get a scan but public doesn’t. I was of the opinion it was the same care pretty much, I’m just being a bit of a princess and hoping for a nicer room :pac:

• Advertisement

It’s all a bit confusing isn’t it. I think if you’re unsure and want clarity just call up and ask to be certain.

I’m public in the Coombe and have a dating scan the same day as my booking appointment - two separate appointment letters came in the one envelope. On my first pregnancy I was with a consultant (Coombe also) and got a mini-scan at each appointment - these are very quick and a different experience totally to those done in the proper scanning rooms.

I’ve still booked an early scan for next week for reassurance. Plus there are a couple of people I won’t get away with waiting another 5 weeks to tell & id rather have had a scan before I tell anyone!!

It’s all a bit confusing isn’t it. I think if you’re unsure and want clarity just call up and ask to be certain.

I’m public in the Coombe and have a dating scan the same day as my booking appointment - two separate appointment letters came in the one envelope. On my first pregnancy I was with a consultant (Coombe also) and got a mini-scan at each appointment - these are very quick and a different experience totally to those done in the proper scanning rooms.

I’ve still booked an early scan for next week for reassurance. Plus there are a couple of people I won’t get away with waiting another 5 weeks to tell & id rather have had a scan before I tell anyone!!

Can’t comment on the Coombe as this is my first, I did get 2 appointments in the post today - 12w with a dating scan and that one said I’ll be getting another scan at 20 weeks. Went semi-private

We’re Doing the same, early scan next Thursday cause I want him to be there, and also I want to tell people after the scan so I can show them! My friends keep trying to organise drinks and it’s getting harder to fob them off!

I don’t know about any of you ladies due the same month, but it’s starting to feel so real right now, symptoms are getting worse! (And will need to go bra shopping soon ...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ewgwee4

Tiafleur wrote: »
    Congratulations! This is our first too so it’s all new, exciting and scary at the sane time. When are you due?

Exciting and scary is right! Not due until March 30th. Nausea has hit me quite hard in the last couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tiafleur

ewgwee4 wrote: »
    Exciting and scary is right! Not due until March 30th. Nausea has hit me quite hard in the last couple of days.

I had terrible nausea from week 5 to 8. It was 24/7 but no vomiting. I’m week 9 now and it’s so much better! I still gets waves sometimes but nothing likes it was. I found that sipping ginger and lemon tea Helped and having cereal before bed too. Hope it passes soon for you too x

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ewgwee4

I had terrible nausea from week 5 to 8. It was 24/7 but no vomiting. I’m week 9 now and it’s so much better! I still gets waves sometimes but nothing likes it was. I found that sipping ginger and lemon tea Helped and having cereal before bed too. Hope it passes soon for you too x

Glad to hear you’re feeling better! Great tips too, thanks a million. I’m mostly concerned about how I’m going to deal with it in work if it hits me. Thanks Tiafleur x

About the nausea, I get nauseous for a few hours In the morning and then in the evening, but have only gotten to the point of throwing up 2 days out of the 8+ days of it, is this normal? Like I’ve horrific nausea but it passes eventually without the need to vomit? Feels like it should be worse than it is, I have IBS and GERD (reflux) though so maybe I’m just used to dealing with nausea and have a high tolerance for it, just worried that I’m not getting ‘classical’ symptoms per sey.

Although I wouldn’t wish the boob pain on anyone, omg I never felt pain like it and I’m only 6w6d :rolleyes:

About the nausea, I get nauseous for a few hours In the morning and then in the evening, but have only gotten to the point of throwing up 2 days out of the 8+ days of it, is this normal? Like I’ve horrific nausea but it passes eventually without the need to vomit? Feels like it should be worse than it is, I have IBS and GERD (reflux) though so maybe I’m just used to dealing with nausea and have a high tolerance for it, just worried that I’m not getting ‘classical’ symptoms per sey.

Although I wouldn’t wish the boob pain on anyone, omg I never felt pain like it and I’m only 6w6d :rolleyes:

Hey Jen_Pigs_Fly, I've had nausea for the last couple of weeks but haven't vomited at all, same on my last pregnancy. I find if I keep nibbling at small things it keeps it at bay for a little while at least. In the evenings I'm finding it difficult to stomach having dinner with it but like you it passes eventually. I wouldn't be worried about not vomiting, lots of people get nausea in early pregnancy without ever having the "classic" morning sickness.

Hey Jen_Pigs_Fly, I've had nausea for the last couple of weeks but haven't vomited at all, same on my last pregnancy. I find if I keep nibbling at small things it keeps it at bay for a little while at least. In the evenings I'm finding it difficult to stomach having dinner with it but like you it passes eventually. I wouldn't be worried about not vomiting, lots of people get nausea in early pregnancy without ever having the "classic" morning sickness.

That’s good to know thanks! Had an awful night and morning of it today, up all night with nausea and tummy begin sore, all morning too, it was not fun!

Getting my early scan done today though so it could also have been nerves and worry that I didn’t even realise, I hope so cause last night was awful!

I’m finding I’m currently living on soup, digestives, tuc crackers, water and porridge! Everything is like a huge nope to me right now!

That’s good to know thanks! Had an awful night and morning of it today, up all night with nausea and tummy begin sore, all morning too, it was not fun!

Getting my early scan done today though so it could also have been nerves and worry that I didn’t even realise, I hope so cause last night was awful!

I’m finding I’m currently living on soup, digestives, tuc crackers, water and porridge! Everything is like a huge nope to me right now!

Oh you poor thing! I was surviving on cereal and yoghurt for a couple of weeks. I only vomited a couple of times thankfully but the nausea was constant.

I hope you start to feel better soon x

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mkelly1989

hi all hope you don't mind me popping on here too :) first pregnancy for me too and due 13th of March! My husband and I planned this but didn't think it would happen so fast so I'm still in shock! Nausea is really bad lately, not getting sick but constantly dry rectching throughout the day, literally any smell can trigger it. Bit the bullet today and went to the doc and found that even though I thought I was drinking loads Im actually dehydrated and got prescribed Cariban for the nausea. Has anyone else been given Cariban? I'm praying that it helps becuase I dont think I can deal with the nausea and retching much longer 🀢

• Advertisement

Mkelly1989 wrote: »
    hi all hope you don't mind me popping on here too :) first pregnancy for me too and due 13th of March! My husband and I planned this but didn't think it would happen so fast so I'm still in shock! Nausea is really bad lately, not getting sick but constantly dry rectching throughout the day, literally any smell can trigger it. Bit the bullet today and went to the doc and found that even though I thought I was drinking loads Im actually dehydrated and got prescribed Cariban for the nausea. Has anyone else been given Cariban? I'm praying that it helps becuase I dont think I can deal with the nausea and retching much longer ��

Didn’t even know there was anything that could be given for it, hopefully someone else will shed light further on it, but please let us know if it works, I’m not having a fun time! I’m due March 24th so it’ll only get worse from here! So would be good to know that there is something that may help at least! I’m fed up with digestives!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mkelly1989

Didn’t even know there was anything that could be given for it, hopefully someone else will shed light further on it, but please let us know if it works, I’m not having a fun time! I’m due March 24th so it’ll only get worse from here! So would be good to know that there is something that may help at least! I’m fed up with digestives!

Oh it really is the worst feeling! But yeah the doctor can prescribe this for you but warning it is SUPER expensive. I was prescribed 112 tablets but the pharmacist just gave me 1 pack of 24 capsules and it costs €43.72! But honestly at this stage I'll pay anything to be able to get my days back to normal. Oh and you need to take 4 a day so the €43.72 only bought me a weeks supply.

I hear you on eating digestives though. Im at the stage now where they make me sick now too haha!

I had a meeting yesterday with my boss to run through my health and safety risk assessment (which it took them 2 weeks to do!) He told me that while he understands my anxiety at going back to a classroom of adults, the HSE don’t consider pregnancy woman to be at risk so I have no grounds to work from home.

The HSE hasn’t updated their advice since May but both the NHS and CDC say pregnant women are vulnerable and at a much higher risk of having severe cases of COVID if they become infected. CDC last updated theirs on Tuesday I think.

Anyways, I’m really unsure what to do and where I stand legally. I refuse to put myself or my baby at risk but I also can’t afford to lose my job.

Got my early scan done today, so surreal hearing the heart beat! Great to know that everything is going good and my partner was able to come with me which is great! He loved Hearing the heart beat!

Got my early scan done today, so surreal hearing the heart beat! Great to know that everything is going good and my partner was able to come with me which is great! He loved Hearing the heart beat!

Aww that’s great news! I’m so glad everything is going well! I’m just over 2 weeks away from my first scan and I’ll be almost 13 weeks by then. Counting the days now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Mkelly1989 wrote: »
    hi all hope you don't mind me popping on here too :) first pregnancy for me too and due 13th of March! My husband and I planned this but didn't think it would happen so fast so I'm still in shock! Nausea is really bad lately, not getting sick but constantly dry rectching throughout the day, literally any smell can trigger it. Bit the bullet today and went to the doc and found that even though I thought I was drinking loads Im actually dehydrated and got prescribed Cariban for the nausea. Has anyone else been given Cariban? I'm praying that it helps becuase I dont think I can deal with the nausea and retching much longer 🀢

I was in Cariban during my pregnancy last year from week 6-14 and while it's VERY expensive it definitely worked :) I remember being soooo nauseous so I don't envy you at all. Hope you feel better soon :)

I had a meeting yesterday with my boss to run through my health and safety risk assessment (which it took them 2 weeks to do!) He told me that while he understands my anxiety at going back to a classroom of adults, the HSE don’t consider pregnancy woman to be at risk so I have no grounds to work from home.

The HSE hasn’t updated their advice since May but both the NHS and CDC say pregnant women are vulnerable and at a much higher risk of having severe cases of COVID if they become infected. CDC last updated theirs on Tuesday I think.

Anyways, I’m really unsure what to do and where I stand legally. I refuse to put myself or my baby at risk but I also can’t afford to lose my job.

Hi Tiafleur,

Maybe speak to your GP and see what they say about it? When I went to my GP and explained my work situation, which I was concerned about, she was very reassuring. You could try contacting Citizens Information or the HSA to see if they have any specific information, I've found it very difficult to get anything clear on pregnancy to be honest. Like the HSE advice says pregnant women are not at any greater risk, but also says that when people are restricting their movements they should not meet with pregnant women. It certainly needs some clarification.

Like you I don't quite understand how the HSE advice differs from the NHS and CDC, but my employer isn't too concerned about any advice either way - they've had everyone back in the office[primarily we are in individual offices] since the start of June despite the fact that we can all work from home. I very much doubt they will take a different approach in a few weeks time when I tell them I'm pregnant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

BOB2017 wrote:
    Like the HSE advice says pregnant women are not at any greater risk, but also says that when people are restricting their movements they should not meet with pregnant women. It certainly needs some clarification.

Sorry hopping in from Sept thread to ask where you heard that about not meeting pregnant women? I'm 34w pregnant and haven't seen or heard that anywhere and have been seeing friends over the past few weeks...maintaining social distancing and using sanitiser etc but I would be thinking twice if there is actually some guidelines on it..

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Sorry hopping in from Sept thread to ask where you heard that about not meeting pregnant women? I'm 34w pregnant and haven't seen or heard that anywhere and have been seeing friends over the past few weeks...maintaining social distancing and using sanitiser etc but I would be thinking twice if there is actually some guidelines on it..

Hi Cash Q, it’s only those who are contacts of a suspected case and are asked to restrict movements who shouldn’t be in contact with pregnant women https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/managing-coronavirus-at-home/if-you-live-with-someone-who-has-coronavirus.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 April21

Hi Jen Pigs Fly I’m hoping over from the April thread, just wondering where did you have your scan that your partner could come along to? Obviously I would love my partner to come to scans to share the experience but I don’t think it’s happening in the hospitals

Advertisement