15-06-2021, 10:07   #1771
cryptcrapto

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnor1011 View Post
Yes you are right if you spend minuscule amounts it may be easier to call them with their fractional name but then again I do not think bitcoin will be used in that way. Not with current fees anyway.
But it is being used that way. Not in Ireland or the USA but in developing countries that either have weak currencies prone to inflation or no easily accessible banking systems (or often both). By using a layer 2 technology, like the Lightning network, the transactions are abstracted away from the blockchain which massively reduces transaction fees and allows for micropayments to be carried out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnor1011 View Post
Most of the people count money in dollars or euros so when I say I just sent 50 dollars to binance and bought btc I can guarantee that 9 out of 10 random people will have an idea about what I did. If you say that you got 100k satoshis I would say that 9 out of 10 random people will have no clue what or how much that means.
Keep it simple I would say.
That depends entirely on who you are talking to and the context of the conversation. If you're telling your friend who doesn't know the first thing about cryptos (which, yes will be 9 out of 10 random people) then, yes, you're going to need to use a reference FIAT currency.

However if someone is on a forum like this one explaining their DCA strategy where they buy the same amount of bitcoin or ETH each week then it would only make sense for them to talk in crypto units.

Quote:
That is why you see people posting that they bought 100k "sats" as it sound bolder than saying they bought 0.001btc.
So, no with reference to your original quote that sparked this exchange I don't believe that the poster was using 100k satoshis to "sound bolder".
Advertisement
15-06-2021, 10:41   #1772
Donald Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unearthly View Post
Microstrategy looking to buy more bitcoin (1 billion) in addition to the 500 million they raised yesterday.

Going to be very hard for bitcoin to drop to 20k as predicted by most with such a large amount of supply being locked away

What is on the TS for that debt?

And what is the note backed by? The bitcoin itself only? ..... maybe some kind of off-balance-sheet SPV structure?
15-06-2021, 19:24   #1773
FFVII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
What is on the TS for that debt?

And what is the note backed by? The bitcoin itself only? ..... maybe some kind of off-balance-sheet SPV structure?
https://www.ft.com/content/c4d23ea3-...4-c0e7d31e5c20
15-06-2021, 20:25   #1774
Donald Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFVII View Post

Thanks. But I don't have access to the FT anymore.

I used to have an institutional log in from a place I worked in up to a couple or years ago but then they moved to SSO last year which meant my password was no longer any use

(They must have forgotten to remove my account from their FT subscription after I left the place)
15-06-2021, 21:36   #1775
SortingYouOut

Quote:

I used to have an institutional log in from a place I worked in up to a couple or years ago but then they moved to SSO last year which meant my password was no longer any use

(They must have forgotten to remove my account from their FT subscription after I left the place)
If you enter it from Google, you'll get one read of it. That link won't work but searching for it and going in that way will.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-06-2021, 21:51   #1776
FFVII

Quote:

https://www.google.com/search?q=micr...w=1280&bih=595

MicroStrategy triples down on bitcoin
Thanks from:
15-06-2021, 22:47   #1777
Donald Trump

Ah. I forgot to try the redirect-from-google soft paywall trick.

There is more information as to what I asked in this one actually

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...uG6NGxHq5CFx-G

Seems the debt is secured against the company's regular assets. The crypto assets themselves are parked into a separate vehicle.

Seems like madness to me. Unless the company is sitting on massive cash balances - which I suspect it probably isn't. I wouldn't personally want to have a portfolio with a high concentration of equity of that company!!!

I had a google then to see what their credit rating was and Moodys has them as ba3 which is speculative grade https://www.moodys.com/research/Mood...ble--PR_448144 . Anyone know if your man's bitcoin activities have impacted ratings? I'd assume they would have had to?

I would suspect that he is happy to risk making the company equity somewhat of a proxy for cryptocurrency maybe to get money in from asset managers who don't have mandates to invest in it directly...........
15-06-2021, 22:53   #1778
FFVII

Moody's

Those dots are tea leaves. Better for your financial well being over moody. Read them.
15-06-2021, 22:55   #1779
FFVII

Quote:
Ah. I forgot to try the redirect-from-google soft paywall trick.

There is more information as to what I asked in this one actually

Seems the debt is secured against the company's regular assets. The crypto assets themselves are parked into a separate vehicle.

Seems like madness to me. Unless the company is sitting on massive cash balances - which I suspect it probably isn't. I wouldn't personally want to have a portfolio with a high concentration of equity of that company!!!

I had a google then to see what their credit rating was and Moodys has them as ba3 which is speculative grade https://www.moodys.com/research/Mood...ble--PR_448144 . Anyone know if your man's bitcoin activities have impacted ratings? I'd assume they would have had to?

I would suspect that he is happy to risk making the company equity somewhat of a proxy for cryptocurrency maybe to get money in from asset managers who don't have mandates to invest in it directly...........
Same link i sent you
Advertisement
15-06-2021, 23:01   #1780
Donald Trump

Quote:
Moody's

Those dots are tea leaves. Better for your financial well being over moody. Read them.

Well those guys are looking at the books over time. They don't have to be perfectly accurate, and nobody expects them to be, but you can get an indication from them. Especially for relative movements over time. As you may or may not know, most shops have internal ratings anyway. But they will also benchmark internal scales against external ones.

This article says S&P Global gives the notes a B- rating https://seekingalpha.com/news/370477...o-micostrategy (There is a soft paywall as well but before it switches on you can see about 2 paragraphs down)

I was just interested to see what they were at in terms of rating and whether your mans strategy had affected them. I don't have time, or enough interest, to go through any filings myself. I'm not going buying them so I don't really care.

Last edited by Donald Trump; 15-06-2021 at 23:09.
15-06-2021, 23:02   #1781
Donald Trump

Quote:
Same link i sent you

oh was it, maybe I pasted the wrong one.

One was "Micro Strategy doubles down" and the other was "Micro Strategy triples down"

There was a link on the one you sent to the other one.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...2BjjnPSNsym5_u

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion