Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Same, guess we’ll have to see how it goes and then make a call. Hopefully it goes well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,143 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Think they've (2 or 3 anyway) been in the hot seat before too, haven't they?

At the the end of the day its gonna boil down to the presenters & tunes like it does every year. All the charities are deserving and I can live with it being shared around more than one of them.

Already looking forward to kick off immensely!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

Hi All long time lurker first time poster! I think it's an interesting idea spreading it across multiple children's charities, it'd be interesting to know if there's any benefit to doing it this way for each charity vs picking one partner.

I'm also keen to how it's managed, like will they rotate ads for the charity or bundle them into one.

Either way I can't wait for presenters to start online next month though, from around July onward I slip a little tune in now and again if I'm working from home and need a little cheering up. The opening bars of Sleigh Ride by The Ronettes get's me proper in the spirit!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yes Claude!! I'm forever signing Sleigh Ride at home, it's so catchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

From the anorak perspective, I will be interested to see what new presenters join Christmas FM this year, and which will come with radio experience and which will come from Christmas FM's training team.

• Advertisement

Welcome @ClaudeVercetti.

Couldn't place that song in my head so had a quick google. Very catchy is right!

Just got the email re the charity partners announcement. Didn’t realise it was running for 3 years. Also that this is their 15 year anniversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

Thanks @TRS30! Didn't realise that either - kinda sad in that there won't be the buzz of waiting for the partner announcement each year for the next few years.

I remember the first year - I was studying for the 6th year Christmas exams and the father came in with a "did you hear about this new station" needless to say it was a staple ever since. I loved that they played more obscure songs too different to what you'd hear on your normal music channels each year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Agree about missing the buzz for the charity announcement each year. And yes I love they play song other stations don’t. Straight no chaser’s 12 days of Christmas is a great example of that!

@TRS30 great spot in the mail too!

Nothing mentioned so far about presenters starting online early this year. I wonder with the general perception that covid is behind us will that be done away with now & they'll revert to just having them from 28th Nov.

Have to say I really enjoyed listening in more and more throughout November the last 2 years with the presenters there, would have liked for that to continue.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Halloween FM returns.

Not sure how they find 2 weeks' worth of Halloween related songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I am guessing that there will be a flexible approach to what songs can be played.

Think someone said songs that had been hits around halloween time in years gone by were fair game so that opens it up a tad too!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Xmas FM 2022

Dublin City and County - 105.2

Cork City and surrounds - 106.7

Limerick city and county - 105.5

Waterford City - 105.9

Galway City - 87.9

Kilkenny - 104.3

Wicklow Town - 106.6

South East - 103.8

Kildare - 88.1

Bray/North Wicklow - 99.5

Longford and surrounds - 94.2

Cavan - 99.4

Mid Kerry (Tralee/Killarney) - 105.0

Clare/Co. Limerick - 105.2

NE Donegal/Letterkenny - 105.7

Sligo - 95.0

North Cork/SE Limerick - 87.7

Louth - 104.2

Same as last year iirc, did that Portlaoise relay come online in the end last year? It's remarkable they've managed to keep 18 transmitters going given the cost increases in the last 12 months.

The Longford (Cairn Hill) outlet moves to 94.2 due to a new Today FM relay on 101.6 in the area

& not forgetting that Virgin Media Digital TV subscribers in Ireland can listen to Christmas FM Ireland on Channel 900 (from November 28th- Dec 27th) and the apps are available all year round too...

Looking forward to this now.

No mention of presenters online before the 28th Nov launch this year though which is a shame. Whilst I wouldn't go all in straight away I'd dip my toe at the start and progressively listen in more & more as we got closer to launch day.

Looks like they going for the 'big bang' on the 28th Nov.

Though I wonder if the image on their twitter page is a throwback to last year or if they'll still have presenters all of November (albeit online)?

Good spot! Will have to listen in from Nov and see, as you said would be nice to be able to build up to the big FM go live.

I would have thought they would have started the friday of the late late toy show.

• Advertisement

Due to the 30 day temporary licence they always start on 28th November to ensure they are live for Christmas Day & Stephens Day, finishing on Dec. 27th(lump in the throat day as I call it)

They carry on with DJ's online up until New years eve/day though.

Yea, it's comes to the 28th and get into the car and hear static and make me a little sad.

Remember it happening one year as I was in the car heading over to collect my in-laws for a christmas night out and when the radio went silent for me on the M50 it was a real downer moment.

The New Years Eve Party on ChristmasFM was brilliant. I got to listen to the online switch off last year when feeding the baba.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,306 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It’s a bit stingy they don’t run it until at least the Feast of the Epiphany - January 6th. Little Christmas. Or as Gaeilge - Nollaig na mbàn.

Come on like.

Post edited by Beechwoodspark on

Completely agree. It would help raise more money for charities as well and keep the Christmas spirit right to the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,306 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yep. I’m not sure why they “cut it off” so abruptly after December 25th. There’s a whole 12 nights (at least!!) before Christmas is over as a season

That harks back to the 30 day temporary licence and I imagine people are more generous before Christmas Day than after it.

• Advertisement

Thats been discussed here previously and people with great knowledge of radio licencing have explained the limitations of the temporary licences. Many of us have asked why it can't receive special dispensation only to be told there's zero flexibility, sadly. In reality its only the car I'll miss it after the 27th as I'll keep listening online until new years day anyway.

Advertisement