Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sale of The Bodega

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 regener

Last night tonight. Arm the elderly, Roaring Forties, Sunbeams and Stevie G until late. All welcome. No cover charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ivuernis

regener wrote:
    Last night tonight. Arm the elderly, Roaring Forties, Sunbeams and Stevie G until late. All welcome. No cover charge.

Tonight is the last night?!? I thought it was tomorrow [Friday].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

Judes wrote:
    The one thing I'm dreading is the first sight of a Starbucks in Cork

I second that, Starbucks have, and I really mean this, THE worst coffee I have ever tasted in my entire life. How they get away with selling that sh!te is amazing.

Regarding the topic at hand, I think the bodege is a nice building but I never liked the pub itself so I dont feel particularly sad that its going.

Why stand in the way of progress. There are plenty more pubs out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

kcphoto wrote:
    It seems to me that the owners of the Bodega are more to blame for selling than the person who's offered to buy it.
    Unless the owners are seriously in debt, or the bar was losing money, then they could have said no to the offer and carry on as they were. If they cared enough about their bar as a landmark in cork (as many of us here do), if they cared enough to protect their building and had loyalty to staff and customers, they just could have said no to the offer. I liked the Bodega, it is a great meeting place and venue with a unique atmosphere (mainly due to the wide open space and high ceiling), but I won't be going back in for a nostalgic pint this week, surely thats only endorsing their decision to sell !

I agree with this sentiment. I will greatly miss the Bodega I have been a regular patron since it opened and I am there most weekends :(

The only otion I can thinking of it queuing in the rain to get into Crane Lane and going for the overcrowded pub part rather than the GAA disco place at the back ;)

I still like the Raven, the Roundy, the Sin E... but I have no free, late bar now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭shnaek

ivuernis wrote:
    Whatever one’s opinion of the clientele or atmosphere in the Bodega there’s no denying that aesthetically it is one of the most beautiful contemporary bars not just in Cork but in Ireland and its conversion into a retail outlet will be a retrograde step.

I for one will miss it and will ad it the increasing list of Cork institutions I enjoyed so much but that have ceased to be in recent years...

Sir Henry's
    Lobby Bar
    Capitol Cinema
    Half Moon Club
    Telefunkin in the Metropole
    Lebowski's
    Southern Soul & Disco Festival
    Radio Friendly
    Triskel Cinematek

Hear hear. I lived in Galway for years, and watched as most of the places with character were closed only to become apartments or hotels. I would hate to see the same thing happen here in Cork.

The places that close are always the ones with character and individuality. The ones that set a place apart. Cork has the capacity to be one of the best cities in Europe, but getting rid of the character and replacing it with 'TKMAXX' or whatever other retail outlet you care to mention shows that the city is likely to go the way of Galway and Manchester - mediocrity.

Developers are partially to blame. But they are only out to make money, like many people. What of our city councellors and planners? They should be walking the plank for their lack of vision and character, and their sometimes corrupt but always mediocre standards. Shame on them. The make Ireland mediocre, and they are trying to make Cork so. Shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ivuernis

The Bodega finally closed its doors late last night after 10+ years. It was an absolutely fantastic night that went on well past 2am with excellent music and a wonderful atmosphere... a memorable goodbye to a much loved bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

So everyone - what do we replace the Bodega with - where can we go now? Where the hell will I get my blueberry pancakes from ............. All suggestions welcome!?* J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

What's TX Maxx like as a store anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Apparently "Club Bodega" is opening soon...

I don't know how this fits in with the talk of it becoming retail space.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

In the same venue?

I heard it will remain a bar for a while as there will be an interim leasehold but it is eventually planned to convert it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

The Woodford on Paul Street is now also for sale (see today's Irish Examiner, Property Section). I don't know whether this will effect the bar itself.

Advertisement