Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    It's hard to separate out the risk factors, women on the contraceptive pill seemingly have a clot risk 100 to 400 times greater than from taking the Astra -Zenica vaccine.
    So you'd need to ensure that people taking the pill were not counted when compiling clot risk figures.

You have to wonder are they downplaying the seriousness of the clot issues, I mean the risk is minimal if we are to believe the figures, I suppose another way to look at it is that they overplayed the seriousness of covid 19 in the first place, if they're willing to disregard vaccines so easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

They are playing ultra-cautious with the AstraZenica due to fear of court cases by families should anyone die unexpectedly after receiving it, and the media's day and night dissection of every new figure released and the near hysteria of some of the newly minted Health mandarins every time they come in range of a microphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Personally I'd prefer if they gave the over 60's and anyone with health issues the more reliable vaccines. I'd take the AstraZeneca one fine but would prefer the mother to get the Pfizer one tbh.
    Also with the amount of information that should be available on a rollout of this scale there should surely be enough people qualified enough to figure out the issues relatively quickly for fcuk sake, esp when most of the vaccines are in the western world.
    Media constantly going on asking the same ****e about when this, that or the other thing will open, etc is akin to a child in the back seat of the car asking are we there yet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I took the covid app off the phone, the difference it makes to battery life is unbelievable, before I wasn't getting 24 hrs between charges, now back to charging every 2nd night.

Some over 70 yr olds still waiting on the first shot around here.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/taoiseach-says-he-cant-be-definitive-there-wont-be-another-lockdown-next-winter-40318747.html

Excellent news. The only way we will see the end of covid is when the majority of people get fed up. But that seems to be an awful long way off yet...

• Advertisement

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/taoiseach-says-he-cant-be-definitive-there-wont-be-another-lockdown-next-winter-40318747.html

Excellent news. The only way we will see the end of covid is when the majority of people get fed up. But that seems to be an awful long way off yet...

I'm struggling to find the logic in that, even when everyone that can be vaccinated is vaccinated the country can't go back to normal, listening to the experts saying vaccination is only 1 measure and we still have to do all the other things as well( masks, etc).

But sure it's only a few more weeks, months, years...

I'm struggling to find the logic in that, even when everyone that can be vaccinated is vaccinated the country can't go back to normal, listening to the experts saying vaccination is only 1 measure and we still have to do all the other things as well( masks, etc).

The most logical way to have approached it would have been vaccinate thoe most vulnerable only, then all restrictions eased with no mass vaccination of the population. But logic has been missing since the very start of our reaction to covid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Pfizer CEO saying 3rd shot before 12 months may be necessary now.looking at 6 month boosters if that's the case...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Ah lads - don’t tell me ye’re surprised a politician won’t give a definitive, definitive answer...
    :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The most logical way to have approached it would have been vaccinate thoe most vulnerable only, then all restrictions eased with no mass vaccination of the population. But logic has been missing since the very start of our reaction to covid

You'd definitely have too many deaths with that plan and no one only Covid patients would be treated in hospitals

• Advertisement

Ah lads - don’t tell me ye’re surprised a politician won’t give a definitive, definitive answer...

Who said anything about a politician?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

As it is the numbers are all going in the right direction. Most of us will have at least one shot by the end of June. So what if we need an annual booster? But I think with enough of the world's pop vaccinated, Covid and its variants won't have the numbers to transmit to.

Who said anything about a politician?

What?

The headline of the link quoted by Yosemite was “Taoiseach says he ‘can’t be definitive’ there won’t be another lockdown next winter“

What?

The headline of the link quoted by Yosemite was “Taoiseach says he ‘can’t be definitive’ there won’t be another lockdown next winter“

Right, thought you were referring to my post.

Right, thought you were referring to my post.

Oh, I did... prob would have made more sense all right to quite Yosemite :)

Are you surprised that we may go into lockdown next winter?

Very, very unlikely, what would cause such a measure to be taken?

Do you know Morris, I have given up listening to and reading about it.

I’ll get my jab when I can, and that’s all I can do.

I will say though, as more time goes by, the more I am beginning to actually enjoy lockdown and the simpler life it gives.

Now, I accept I might be a particular case - I am working from home, so financially not impacted. We have small kids so wouldn’t have had a hectic social life anyways. And farming is kinda my thing/hobby, so that’s business as usual too really...
    Yes, it would be nice to meet friends and family. But we’ll meet them someday...

So, end of lockdown, grand. More lockdown, that’s grand too...

wrangler wrote: »
    You'd definitely have too many deaths with that plan and no one only Covid patients would be treated in hospitals

Allowing under 60s to get the real thing would protect the efficacy for those who need the vaccine most. Deaths would be as close to zero as you could get and any deaths or hospitalisations would be more than offset by those avoided by forcing mutations on the covid spike.
    It's not much different to management of wormer resistance, fungicide resistance or plant disease resistance. Except that viruses are better suited to mutating

Saw a comparison graph of monthly deaths over the last five years, and since March 2020 deaths are lower every single month than in any of the preceding four years...
    So the nightly death toll scare fest is just that, dramatic tabloid fodder.

• Advertisement

Allowing under 60s to get the real thing would protect the efficacy for those who need the vaccine most. Deaths would be as close to zero as you could get and any deaths or hospitalisations would be more than offset by those avoided by forcing mutations on the covid spike.
    It's not much different to management of wormer resistance, fungicide resistance or plant disease resistance. Except that viruses are better suited to mutating

One would really need to know the numbers. Also not just deaths but the other health effects incl long covid. Anyhow by waiting a short while and all getting a safe vaccine seems preferable to the real thing.

Water John wrote: »
    One would really need to know the numbers. Also not just deaths but the other health effects incl long covid. Anyhow by waiting a short while and all getting a safe vaccine seems preferable to the real thing.

What if we see massive erosions on the vaccine efficacy arise? They will be everywhere before they are anywhere when they do arise and then what? Hide under the bed until the new reformulated vaccine is roled out and repeat indefinitely with ever greater diversity arising

Water John wrote: »
    Very, very unlikely, what would cause such a measure to be taken?

I'm wondering that myself, I thought vaccination was the golden bullet.

Do you know Morris, I have given up listening to and reading about it.

I’ll get my jab when I can, and that’s all I can do.

I will say though, as more time goes by, the more I am beginning to actually enjoy lockdown and the simpler life it gives.

Now, I accept I might be a particular case - I am working from home, so financially not impacted. We have small kids so wouldn’t have had a hectic social life anyways. And farming is kinda my thing/hobby, so that’s business as usual too really...
    Yes, it would be nice to meet friends and family. But we’ll meet them someday...

So, end of lockdown, grand. More lockdown, that’s grand too...

I think that's called Stockholm syndrome Dinzee.

Found it.
    vrcG7xc.jpg
    I was wrong, onemonth is much higher, April 2020 is 30% up.
    Which is probably the virus running riot in nursing homes and care facilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Found it.
    vrcG7xc.jpg
    I was wrong, onemonth is much higher, April 2020 is 30% up.
    Which is probably the virus running riot in nursing homes and care facilities.

I was wondering if you were going to spot that after your previous message. :p

If anything that graph shows an upward trend in deaths in the first few months of 2020 culminating with April when lockdown measures brought them down from there on.
    No wonder the authorities were getting worried looking at those numbers.

The figures are interesting. We must factor in the effects of social distancing on other contagious viruses and bacteria also, although probably the absence of influenza would be the main one, in suppressing numbers from April 2020 onwards, countering Covid deaths.

I was wondering if you were going to spot that after your previous message. :p

If anything that graph shows an upward trend in deaths in the first few months of 2020 culminating with April when lockdown measures broughtsummer brought them down from there on.
    No wonder the authorities were getting worried looking at those numbers.

Fixed that for you

I think that's called Stockholm syndrome Dinzee.

Ah no Morris...

Don’t be trying to shoot me down, cos I’m not not on the ‘Boo to lockdown’ wagon...

Lockdown has made me appreciate the simpler things in life... I don’t see why that should be defined as Stockholm Syndrome...

Would it be better if COVID never happened - yes.
    But it’d be better if we didn’t have crime or lots of other things, but unfortunately that’s not the world we live in...

• Advertisement

On the evidence so, summer continued right into December. Knew it was a lovely year.

Advertisement