Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-05-2019, 14:14   #61
Muahahaha

Not a fan of McIllroy but think he gets it a bit harsh. I mean no matter which team he decides to play for he is going to get abuse from one side or the other, he literally cant win.

Otherwise why do RTE news always cover him without fail in the sports news for every single tournament, with most of them being nothing competitions out in the Middle East for million dollar prizes. Hardly a weekend goes by that I dont learn on a Sunday evening that Rory McIllory is "off the pace" and came fourth in some non-descript golf tournament in Dubai/Abu Dhabi/Qatar, etc. I couldn't care less unless he actually won it and even then its not a major so its hardly news. I dont know what the RTE news obsession is with him is but it is clearly there, they literally report all his losses along with the seldom wins.
Advertisement
15-05-2019, 14:19   #62
Berserker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cienciano View Post
Sports people should just forget the public and play for whoever the hell they want. Who wants someone representing Ireland just because they felt the Irish public would kick up a fuss if they didn't?
On a side note, pretty much every pro golfer are knobends, they can all go fúck themselves.
Well, that's exactly what's happening here. Do you not remember the fuss last time round?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTLEFTHAND View Post
It's not that unusual for Catholics of Rory's generation to identify as 'Northern Irish.'
It's quite common. Doesn't sit well with some people. If you are RC and from NI, you are supposed to fall under the Team Ireland banner, no questions asked, it appears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
He identifies as British, he has said it himself.
Sure about that? Thought he said 'Northern Irish'. Always holds the NI flag when he wins, as opposed to the UJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdanbreen View Post
If he wins a gold medal we will probably have to play Ireland call as the anthem but that shouldn't be a problem.
Why don't they make that the official anthem for Team Ireland? Might attract a few more athletes from NI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muahahaha View Post
Not a fan of McIllroy but think he gets it a bit harsh. I mean no matter which team he decides to play for he is going to get abuse from one side or the other, he literally cant win.
Was never abused when he opted for Team Ireland. Ditto for all the other athletes who've opted for Ireland; boxers etc. The abuse only surfaced when he declared his desire to play for Team GB.
15-05-2019, 14:22   #63
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Every time I hear Rory McIlroy I'm reminded how he once had lived through a fit of "mental fatigue", where his golf suffered.

"Mental fatigue", I ask you. The guy has the constitution of a fine-boned Victorian lady who's spent too much time in the sun.

Last edited by A Tyrant Named Miltiades!; 15-05-2019 at 14:26.
15-05-2019, 14:25   #64
magic_murph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pissartist View Post
A clown who can construct a sentence.
good come back. Clown.
15-05-2019, 14:26   #65
partyguinness

I wonder does the fact that there is a bigger more lucrative in Japan than Brazil have anything to do with...
Advertisement
15-05-2019, 14:36   #66
Feisar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTLEFTHAND View Post
He's not a tan, he's more Irish than most people on this island with their planters surnames.

It's not that unusual for Catholics of Rory's generation to identify as 'Northern Irish.'
I was joking, he's as Irish as a 10-10-20 bag full of turf.
15-05-2019, 14:36   #67
KrustyUCC

He will just miraculously be injured in time for the Olympics
15-05-2019, 15:21   #68
realdanbreen

At least if Rory is on the team he will look the part with the permanent tan and pearly teeth rather than some bogger with a big mad GAA head!
15-05-2019, 16:17   #69
AdamD

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
Every time I hear Rory McIlroy I'm reminded how he once had lived through a fit of "mental fatigue", where his golf suffered.

"Mental fatigue", I ask you. The guy has the constitution of a fine-boned Victorian lady who's spent too much time in the sun.
Try playing sport in front of thousands of people (with millions watching on tv). Quite stressful I imagine, despite the riches.
Advertisement
15-05-2019, 16:35   #70
Cryptopagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
Try playing sport in front of thousands of people (with millions watching on tv). Quite stressful I imagine, despite the riches.
Imagine how stressful it must be for athletes like boxers or sprinters, who do the same only in non-lame, athletically-challenging sports.
15-05-2019, 17:12   #71
partyguinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamD View Post

I have thought the same at Premiership games. I mean I know all about the wages etc but fcuk me when I think about it performing in front of 40-50k baying supporters hurling dogs abuse at you. If you are not in the best of form there is no hiding from it.
15-05-2019, 17:19   #72
con___manx1

Send a message via MSN to con___manx1
Heard Mcllroy say years ago that the gui helped him alot with his career when he was younger. The gui is an all ireland association like the irfu in the rugby. I think he is a brit in disguise. Turn coat.
Thanks from:
15-05-2019, 17:20   #73
DarTipp

surprised with this, I don't think a lot of the pro golfers have any great time for the Olympics, imo It should be for amateurs only and those who do well can decide if they want to turn pro, at the last Olympics Leona Maguire (I might have the name wrong) competed as an amateur in the last olympics and is now doing well in the pro ranks having recently won a tournament, rory will do well for us and it will be another good chance for a medal along with some of our boxers, he talked very positive about competing for Ireland while as an amateur
15-05-2019, 18:03   #74
Hamsterchops

In golfing terms, facilities & physio wise, is team Ireland better equipped than team GB/NI, or is team GB/NI better equipped ??? Would there be a reason for him other than national allegiance to choose one team over another?
15-05-2019, 18:09   #75
AdamD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterchops View Post
In golfing terms, facilities & physio wise, is team Ireland better equipped than team GB/NI, or is team GB/NI better equipped ??? Would there be a reason for him other than national allegiance to choose one team over another?
In golfing terms - none of these players will be using anyone other than their own physios, doctors and coaches. Its essentially irrelevant.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion