Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy olympics u-turn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Unionists are a bit miffed. They thought the 'Northern Irish' identity was going to save them. Read the threads on Rory designating himself as that in the politics forum for a taste of what they thought it meant.
    Timthumb is clutching at a disappearing straw. :)

And completely irrelevant clutching post of the week goes to..

I support Rory in the golf. Seems a good guy. Some bitter types won’t be convinced of his total orishness but I doubt he is too concerned about that as he relaxes in his mansions around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

timthumbni wrote: »
    And completely irrelevant clutching post of the week goes to..

I support Rory in the golf. Seems a good guy. Some bitter types won’t be convinced of his total orishness but I doubt he is too concerned about that as he relaxes in his mansions around the world.

So if he was up against Justin Rose in a play off for Olympic gold who would you be rooting for?!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Omackeral wrote: »
    He's a toilet brush head.

O that's mature my good sir.
    Any other crackers????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Probably needs to tweet out a few Wolfe Tone lyrics or similar before the usual suspects on here would accept him as Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,888 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Berserker wrote: »
    Probably needs to tweet out a few Wolfe Tone lyrics or similar before the usual suspects on here would accept him as Irish.

He is stating he is Irish and he wants and is honoured to compete as such. Tim's rather pathetic attempt to label him because of the school he went to is almost as pathetic as your attempt to equate an appreciation of the Wolfe Tones with Irishness.

I hate the Wolfe Tones btw, am I less Irish in your rather blinkered opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I hate the Wolfe Tones btw, am I less Irish in your rather blinkered opinion?

Nope, just indicates that you've probably got decent taste in music. I would not use ones love of 'the tones' as a measure of Irishness but plenty on here do and my post was aimed at them.

Berserker wrote: »
    Nope, just indicates that you've probably got decent taste in music. I would not equate a low of 'the tones' or the GAA as a metric of Irishness but plenty on here do and my post was aimed at them.

Two Unionists talking to one another on Boards and using stereotypes, more likely.

If you want to 'aim' at people, man up, and name them.

Tim's rather pathetic attempt to label him because of the school he went to

Not sure what you are on about but I simply stated he attended Sullivan in response to post number 85 by another poster. (Or O’Sullivan in his later post)

I have no idea what labelling you are on about but “bate on”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭Odhinn

The idea of golf in the olympics was to promote the sport. Mcilroy got serious flack within golf for not bothering with it as a result.

Two Unionists talking to one another on Boards and using stereotypes, more likely.

If you want to 'aim' at people, man up, and name them.

He keeps editing his posts as well. Making it up as he/she goes along I think.

• Advertisement

Not sure what you are on about but I simply stated he attended Sullivan in response to post number 85 by another poster. (Or O’Sullivan in his later post)

I have no idea what labelling you are on about but “bate on”

Yeh, your clarification was totally innocent. :)

So if he was up against Justin Rose in a play off for Olympic gold who would you be rooting for?!

I like both those players so it would be a great days tv for me. Would like to see Rory win though as I’ve been a fan of his since his early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

By the sounds of it, he had little say in the decision and was given his orders by Nike.

Much easier to sell a 'proud Irishman' representing his country at the Olympics to the Yanks.

Yanks love the Brits.

Unionists maybe not so much.

Anyway bridge building starts with ourselves. Welcome him with open arms.
    I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT GOLF AND CANNOT COMMENT ON THE GOLF AND WILL NOT BE WATCHING THE GOLF BUT FOR NO OTHER REASON THAT ITS ****ING GOLF!

I like both those players so it would be a great days tv for me. Would like to see Rory win though as I’ve been a fan of his since his early days.

Go Team Ireland then!

Yeh, your clarification was totally innocent. :)

So you should attack the original poster for labelling as he brought up the schooling issue, yes? Be consistent at least.

You have already had a number of begrudger types questioning Rory’s devotion to the cause so to speak on this thread.

This despite the fact that he would have already played for Ireland the last time if it wasn’t for that Zika virus carry on. The outrage by some little Irelanders at the time was made most amusing by the egg on their face when Shane Lowry also withdrew as well as a number of other countries golfers. But Rory is a Brit at heart etc etc blah blah. It’s only a golfer ffs. If he plays be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Yanks love the Brits.

Unionists maybe not so much.

I was reading recently that "Seventeen of the 44 American Presidents are
    generally accepted as being of Ulster-Scots ancestry. "

So you should attack the original poster for labelling as he brought up the schooling issue, yes? Be consistent at least.

You have already had a number of begrudger types questioning Rory’s devotion to the cause so to speak on this thread.

This despite the fact that he would have already played for Ireland the last time if it wasn’t for that Zika virus carry on. The outrage by some little Irelanders at the time was made most amusing by the egg on their face when Shane Lowry also withdrew as well as a number of other countries golfers. But Rory is a Brit at heart etc etc blah blah. It’s only a golfer ffs. If he plays be happy.

Had you said 'Sullivan' school was non-denominational one might have believed you, but one hear 'is certainly not a CATHOLIC school' in a Paisley like boom due to your posting history.

Mea culpa on that, I am personally delighted you will be cheering on the Irish man, things are certainly changing.

He admitted it had nothing to do with the Zika virus. It probably had more to do with a falling out with Mcginley for some reason.

Anyway sport on this island is apart from soccer on an all island basis. Most northern athletes choose to represent Ireland so Rory choosing Ireland makes sense.

Is this the same Rory McIllroy that once famously said that he ‘feels more British than Irish’? He added "Maybe it was the way I was brought up, I don’t know, but I have always felt more of a connection with the UK than with Ireland. And so I have to weigh that up against the fact that I’ve always played for Ireland and so it is tough. Whatever I do, I know my decision is going to upset some people but I just hope the vast majority will understand.”

I say fair play to him, let he play for whoever he feels comfortable playing for. I would not criticize him for his decision to play for either country.

Had you said 'Sullivan' school was non-denominational one might have believed you, but one hear 'is certainly not a CATHOLIC school' in a Paisley like boom due to your posting history.

Mea culpa on that, I am personally delighted you will be cheering on the Irish man, things are certainly changing.

There is no such thing as a “protestant” school in NI to my knowledge so don’t see why I would have mentioned that. There are only catholic maintained schools and the rest technically are all non denominational. Though state comprehensives especially tend to be almost all from a Protestant background. And non catholic grammar schools tend to be also be mostly from a Protestant background.

Anyway I have been cheering on Rory for years. Just as I’m sure you were when he celebrated winning golfs biggest tournaments with a Norn Iron red hand flag wrapped around him.

• Advertisement

There is no such thing as a “protestant” school in NI to my knowledge so don’t see why I would have mentioned that. There are only catholic maintained schools and the rest technically are all non denominational. Though state comprehensives especially tend to be almost all from a Protestant background. And non catholic grammar schools tend to be also be mostly from a Protestant background.

Anyway I have been cheering on Rory for years. Just as I’m sure you were when he celebrated winning golfs biggest tournaments with a Norn Iron red hand flag wrapped around him.

If they were born on this island then I cheer them as Irish men and women. I don't have borders in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

janfebmar wrote: »
    Is this the same Rory McIllroy that once famously said that he ‘feels more British than Irish’? He added "Maybe it was the way I was brought up, I don’t know, but I have always felt more of a connection with the UK than with Ireland. And so I have to weigh that up against the fact that I’ve always played for Ireland and so it is tough. Whatever I do, I know my decision is going to upset some people but I just hope the vast majority will understand.”

I say fair play to him, let he play for whoever he feels comfortable playing for. I would not criticize him for his decision to play for either country.

I would really hate to see the little **** play for Ireland.
    When he had his chance he lied through his teeth about the Zeko fly etc.
    He couldn’t lie straight in bed.
    Hope a stray Zeko fly bites him in the ******.
    Anyway he hasn’t the temperament to win a big tournament anymore.

If they were born on this island then I cheer them as Irish men and women.

So you would cheer on all sport people born on this island? If Linfield or N. Ireland were playing a team from Europe would you cheer them on then?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I doubt any golfer gives a hoot about winning an Olympic medal anyway. Majors are all that matters in golf.

Same as tennis.

This, something to tell the grandkids though if they do win, big of an ego boost.

So you would cheer on all sport people born on this island? If Linfield or N. Ireland were playing a team from Europe would you cheer them on then?

No, in respect of Linfield, I have no time for bigots. As to Northern Ireland, not during Bingham's tenure, but no problem with them currently. Funny how there is a residue of bigotry in soccer but not in rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Pretty recently most of the country got upset when an openly British man refused to play soccer for us. Isn't it a bit hypocritical to complain about McIlroy now?

If they were born on this island then I cheer them as Irish men and women.

So you cheer on some of those born in N. Ireland, but not all. Thats cleared up so.
    No, in respect of Linfield, I have no time for bigots.

Funny that, because on another thread, you condoned the pIRA, and you say they were right, so the people who play for Linfield and many clubs in N. Ireland would probably look on you as being the bigot.

So you cheer on some of those born in N. Ireland, but not all. Thats cleared up so.

I don't cheer bigots, wherever they come from. They are welcome to their 'chosen' identity.

I don't cheer bigots, wherever they come from. They are welcome to their 'chosen' identity.

One persons bigot is another mans hero. You are entitled, for example, to cheer whoever you want. People from the other side may think that people from clubs who have sports grounds named after terrorists are the bigots.

• Advertisement

One persons bigot is another mans hero. You are entitled, for example, to cheer whoever you want. People from the other side may think that people from clubs who have sports grounds named after terrorists are the bigots.

And they are entitled to not cheer. What was your point again?

Advertisement