Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-05-2019, 21:34   #31
One eyed Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
Well it seems to work just fine in my school where there are children staying behind for other activities. If it can work for sport or music it can work for everything.

This is just another excuse. If those who want their child to do wherever want to get the school to assume responsibility then be willing to compromise

I’ve no doubt it does, but what works in one school hardly sets the standards for what should work in all schools when every school community is different.

That’s why I said at the beginning of the thread that it would be most likely a decision made by the Board of Management of each school as opposed to the idea being rolled out to all schools on a blanket basis. It’s like freshpopcorn posted above too - schools in his area allow the parents the choice of collecting their children early or allowing their children to do other activities until the whole school finishes for the day.

In schools in my area, some schools allow some of the parents to take their children home on half days when religion is being taught, and I’ve met plenty of parents and people involved in education and employment who are of the opinion that the school day should be extended to accommodate working parents who have to either leave work early to collect their children from school or pay a childminder extra.

The OP appears to have gotten over-excited at the thoughts of a survey carried out in Dublin as though it could be applied to the rest of the country. In practice of course it’s unlikely even to apply in Dublin where we recently saw the parents and staff in a number of schools kick off because they wanted to maintain their school communities as they are. We’ve also seen parents go to the media when the local parish priest made not so thinly veiled threats against parents who’s children were receiving the sacraments.

People are often known to say one thing because it feels like the right thing to say, but when it comes down to it, they had no intention of compromising if it means they have to compromise anything.

Last edited by One eyed Jack; 15-05-2019 at 21:37.
Advertisement
15-05-2019, 21:37   #32
OldMrBrennan83

Yet another Ireland = bad. I hope all these twats learn some day what they're taking from us all in an effort to look modern on Twitter.
15-05-2019, 21:43   #33
slavetothegrind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Ingles View Post
Lets keep the sacraments holy for genuine Catholics .
I prayed the holy rosary with my children everyday until they left home,
I still pray it everyday, faith is a gift and should be treated as such.
feck off you arsonist!
Whole town up in smoke at the end!
Thanks from:
15-05-2019, 21:46   #34
ILoveYourVibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat View Post
https://jrnl.ie/4635169

About time imo.
They already are in reality.
15-05-2019, 21:46   #35
Charles Ingles

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavetothegrind View Post
feck off you arsonist!
Whole town up in smoke at the end!
I've no idea what you mean
Advertisement
15-05-2019, 21:48   #36
ILoveYourVibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubbquittious View Post
I never had to do any sacrements when I was going to primary school. Got exempted. How is this anything new?
Beats me.

Maybe some schools were difficult about it. I think that is the principle in that case.

I never did them or any religion.
15-05-2019, 21:49   #37
slavetothegrind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Ingles View Post
I've no idea what you mean
AH you choose to forget how you ended things!

The little house on the prairie ending?

Only having the craic with you ....
15-05-2019, 21:50   #38
MrFresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEPT 23 1989 View Post
It must be a total shock for parents who enrolled their children in a Catholic School to have that forced on them

It couldn't be. It's been talked about for quite some time. State schools should be free from religious indoctrination. If you want a child to undergo religious teaching then private religious schools are for you.
Thanks from:
15-05-2019, 21:52   #39
Peatys

Mixed feelings on this.. obviously the whole thing is a load of nonsense. But still want the kids to make their communion and confirmation with their buddies and get a nice day out, few quid then forget all about it.
Advertisement
15-05-2019, 21:59   #40
Feisar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFresh View Post
It couldn't be. It's been talked about for quite some time. State schools should be free from religious indoctrination. If you want a child to undergo religious teaching then private religious schools are for you.
Aye but the are not state schools
15-05-2019, 22:01   #41
One eyed Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFresh View Post

Most of the schools in Ireland are private religious schools owned by religious organisations who receive funding from Government to provide education as mandated by the national curriculum. Those private religious schools who choose to provide only religious education receive no funding from Government.

There are only a handful of State schools in the country of which the Minister for Education is the patron. They’re certainly not free of religious indoctrination as that appears to be the type of education the parents who enrol their children in those schools want for their children. It’s also worth noting too that parents are not obligated to enrol their children in a school which is in conflict with their values, beliefs or world views. The Irish Constitution is pretty specific about that, yet I constantly hear from parents that they are being “forced” to enrol their children in Catholic schools and being “forced” to have their children participate in the sacraments.

I’m attending my Godson’s FHC this weekend, both his parents are vehement anti-theists. I don’t bother asking what that’s about tbh.
Thanks from:
15-05-2019, 22:55   #42
SoundsRight

I think of you don't want your children learning the Catholic faith, maybe don't send them to a Catholic school.
Thanks from:
15-05-2019, 22:58   #43
eviltwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsRight View Post
I think of you don't want your children learning the Catholic faith, maybe don't send them to a Catholic school.
It's not that easy. 90% of schools are catholic.
(2) thanks from:
15-05-2019, 23:04   #44
lawred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Swiveller II View Post
And?
And what?
15-05-2019, 23:08   #45
Mrs OBumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
It's not that easy. 90% of schools are catholic.
So if you want a different type, get off your butt and set it up.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion